Bitcoin theft, bankruptcy recovery, and taxes

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
ianferrel

Bitcoin theft, bankruptcy recovery, and taxes

Post by ianferrel » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:30 pm

I had about 1 BTC go to the big bitbucket in the sky when MtGox went down, and I now have a claim in the bankruptcy proceedings. It just occurred to me that I have no idea how to account for any of this in my taxes.

A few relevant prices
basis: $4
price at time of bankruptcy: ~$400
current price: $8000

1. I didn't claim any kind of loss back in 2014 when this went down. Was I supposed to?
2. If I do recover something from the bankruptcy, is the amount I recover a gain? Is it a loss if it's less than the current market price, or the market price at the time, or only if it's less than my basis?
3. If I don't recover anything and the bankruptcy proceedings conclude, can I then count it as a loss in the tax year that the proceedings conclude? For how much?

I have been unsuccessful in searching IRS docs for this, probably because I'm using the word "bankruptcy" and everything I find relates to if I'm going through bankruptcy, but I don't know the right term to search for.

Crustus

Re: Bitcoin theft, bankruptcy recovery, and taxes

Post by Crustus » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:50 pm

Capital gains? Losses from theft?
And . . .