Banking problem/question

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Turkishcoffee

Banking problem/question

Post by Turkishcoffee » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:37 pm

I received a tax bill with a late penalty. Strange, since I checked and paid it in February. When I looked online my bank gives a photocopy of the front and bank, the endorsement is illegible.
I sent the copies to the tax office, they emailed back stating they never deposited the check.

I called my bank and they confirmed they debited my account, but state I need to check again with the tax office. The tax office states their bank did not receive the check
, again.

Who’s responsibility is this to clear it up? I assume my bank as they should have a record of the routing number to the account my check was deposited. How else would my bank know to debit my account?

This seems simple to me, why are both sides giving me the finger point?

Advice?

Re: Banking problem/question

Post by 123 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:34 pm

I would request the bank to provide you a letter with the routing number and account number of the bank that handled the check (they have other records that don't require reliance on trying to read the endorsement stamp or printing on the back of the check). Visit a branch of the bank that handled the check and ask them if the account belongs to the taxing authority.

If the account belongs to the taxing authority I would recontact the taxing authority and ask them to correctly apply the payment they accepted.

If the account does not belong to the taxing authority I would ask your bank for guidance on how to proceed. A stolen check may require a police report. The bank's ability to charge back a check may be limited due to the time span.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Topic Author
Turkishcoffee

Post by Turkishcoffee » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:59 am

I'm not sure another bank would give me someone's account number. That would presume they knew where the money was deposited, which they don't.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:17 am

I agree with 123's post.

You need to get confirmation from your bank that the check cleared, and get as much enough information from them about amount/date/account deposited into, etc. as they will put into writing. You will need to go to the bank to get a letter like that, and probably speak to a manager.

Then, you will need to take that letter to the taxing authority, and have them research it. There are a couple of possibilities -
1. Your payment was received by the taxing authority, and wasn't applied to your account.
2. Your payment wasn't received by the taxing authority, and was stolen by someone. If this is the case, there is a small, but non-zero, chance that someone employed by the taxing authority is misapplying funds.

This is a real pain in the neck, since you need to visit both the bank and the taxing authority, but that's what I would do.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Topic Author
Turkishcoffee

Post by Turkishcoffee » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:39 pm

Well, just a follow up. I’m still battling this out. The tax authority has washed their hands and I had to pay them again.

The online bank I use (ally) has been absolutely terrible. I have to call each time, they don’t use a reference number so I have to work my way through their ranks. Eventually there is an escalation unit that only responds by email and wrote to me telling me the funds were exchanged with a bank ( not the taxing authority). They then said it could take up to 6 months to investigate. This was after them telling me twice there was nothing they could do.

This is madness. Any advice? Other than a certified letter to an Ally executive, I don’t know what to do!