Who has or Plans to Sign up for an IRS IP PIN

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
MikeG62

Who has or Plans to Sign up for an IRS IP PIN

Post by MikeG62 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:23 am

Read two articles on the topic this morning.

https://www.dontmesswithtaxes.com/2019/ ... heft-.html

https://thefinancebuff.com/irs-ip-pin-s ... fraud.html

Curious what others are doing.

On the one hand, I like the added the security. On the other, I don't like needing two new PIN's each year (one for me and one for the DW) and relying (waiting) on the IRS to send them. What if we don't get them for some reason? Now I've created a problem for myself I did not have before.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

miles2go

Re: Who has or Plans to Sign up for an IRS IP PIN

Post by miles2go » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:27 am

Same thought. However still beats the nightmare scenario of fraudulently filed return. Curious about other’s experiences...
...and [many] miles to go before I retire.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:31 am

Well, once you’ve had a fraudulent return filed, I don’t think you have a choice in the matter. We always file for extensions anyway, but I can’t blame that on waiting for a PIN. :oops:
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:25 am

I've had a pin for 4 years with no problems. I get a k1 that comes on on April 1 or so, so I can never file taxes early anyway. Increased security always has se type of potential down side.

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:27 pm

I'm in NJ & would like a IP PIN. But I just tried to sign up via the IRS website & told me I'm not eligible. I guess I need to wait until 2020?

BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:44 pm

I have had the PIN for the past several years after a fraudulently filed return. The PIN is received shortly before new years. Has worked well with no hassle for me.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.

Klewles

Post by Klewles » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:44 am

If I opt in for the IP PIN, and after a year or two don't like it for whatever reason, can I opt out for future years? I don't find anything that says how to opt out once I've opted in.

baliktad

Post by baliktad » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:12 am

Klewles wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:44 am
If I opt in for the IP PIN, and after a year or two don't like it for whatever reason, can I opt out for future years? I don't find anything that says how to opt out once I've opted in.
It looks like it's a one-way street. You don't have to get one now, but if you do, you can't go back:
Requesting an IP PIN is strictly voluntary. If you choose not to participate in the program by not requesting an IP PIN, you can file your return as you would normally. If you are assigned or if you request an IP PIN, you must use it to confirm your identity on any tax returns filed electronically during the calendar year. A new IP PIN is generated for each filing season and can be retrieved starting in mid-January of each year by logging into the account you create. At this time, if you choose to receive an IP PIN, you must use your IP PIN for all future filings.
https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-frau ... ection-pin

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-frau ... ber-ip-pin

Global100

Post by Global100 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:32 pm

MikeG62 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:23 am
... relying (waiting) on the IRS to send them. What if we don't get them for some reason?
I created an IRS online account (which requires an authetication process). I log into my account with my own password, and then the IRS system sends me a text message code to my phone. When I enter that text code onto the website I can get immediate access to my current IRS IP PIN.

JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:39 pm

Not certain if this is the same as the IRS account that I registered for a few years ago.

In any case, I tried to log into my IRS account on Friday and it wouldn't let me in as too much time had elapsed and I had to re-recognize myself. I went through their questions which are the common ones about mortgage, auto loans, etc. It did not like something and I will have to snail mail or maybe it will let me try again.

All the time I was messing with that I was thinking that the IRS needs to get with the more modern "login.gov" that is used by other Fed government services and that I use to access my Global Entry account. It uses two factor authorization and I am using a Yubi key; I'm not certain if this log-in offers any other options (open to argument but SMS is not secure). (https://secure.login.gov/) I've always been impressed that the Feds were able to design this nice system.

But for now, I'm back to snail mail with the IRS.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:45 pm

Have had one for about 10 years now. Never a problem. I'd recommend it to prevent someone from filing for your refund. Happened me during the stimulus when households received an extra $1.5k. Someone in FL was filing with random SS#s until they got a hit. Took me nearly a year and hours of phone calls to finally get the stimulus money.

diy60

Post by diy60 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:45 pm

MikeG62 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:23 am
On the one hand, I like the added the security. On the other, I don't like needing two new PIN's each year (one for me and one for the DW) and relying (waiting) on the IRS to send them. What if we don't get them for some reason? Now I've created a problem for myself I did not have before.
I have been on the IRS PIN system for the last 5 years ever since fraudulent returns were filed using my SS#. I like getting the PIN, I've never had a problem since then, and it arrives each year on time.

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:59 pm

I've been using an IRS PIN for several years now (Washington DC resident, so I had the option to do so). It's been of negligible difficulty and has given me a lot of piece of mind. I'd recommend it.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:03 pm

I applied for an IRS pin this year after someone opened a credit card in my name in September. I am aware of the fraud that occurs as I do taxes
for VITA.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

rutrow2015

Post by rutrow2015 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:38 am

I have attempted to apply as I am in one of those states that becomes eligible in 2020 - but as of last week I was unable to get very far in the process due to my state not yet being supported. I'm assuming that I can revisit this in January with a successful conclusion.