Anyone ever got car insurance JUST for car rentals?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
CodeMaster

Anyone ever got car insurance JUST for car rentals?

Post by CodeMaster » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:11 am

I might be renting a car a bit more often in near future, like for a weekend or every weekend or for a week kinda thing. I dont want to buy the car insurance the renters sell since its super expensive on a daily basis, often $40 a day! I figured I could probably buy legit insurance for few hundred per month and rent anytime I wanted this way.

Anyone know if this is possible or any tips on this? Truly appreciate any tips and hope to pay ya back someday! :sharebeer :beer

ivk5

Re: Anyone ever got car insurance JUST for car rentals?

Post by ivk5 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:13 am

This is what non-owners policies are for.

mancich

Post by mancich » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:30 am

Many credit cards cover damage incurred to the vehicle if you use the card to book the vehicle. Call your credit card company to make sure they offer it. If so, no need to buy any extra insurance. It also would be good to call your regular auto insurance company and understand what they offer for rental car coverage.

ivk5

Post by ivk5 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:00 am

mancich wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:30 am
Many credit cards cover damage incurred to the vehicle if you use the card to book the vehicle. Call your credit card company to make sure they offer it. If so, no need to buy any extra insurance. It also would be good to call your regular auto insurance company and understand what they offer for rental car coverage.
CC typically will not provide liability coverage.

I assumed from the question that OP does not own a car or have an existing auto policy.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:10 am

Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:45 am

CodeMaster wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:11 am
I might be renting a car a bit more often in near future, like for a weekend or every weekend or for a week kinda thing. I dont want to buy the car insurance the renters sell since its super expensive on a daily basis, often $40 a day! I figured I could probably buy legit insurance for few hundred per month and rent anytime I wanted this way.

Anyone know if this is possible or any tips on this? Truly appreciate any tips and hope to pay ya back someday! :sharebeer :beer
Do you own a car of your own that is insured? If so, check with your insurance agent - often your own insurance will extend to the rental car.

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:18 am

American Express offers a flat-rate per-rental primary coverage insurance policy for card-holders. May be sufficient for your needs.

https://feeservices.americanexpress.com ... ge/home.do
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

retired@50

Post by retired@50 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:14 am

dcabler wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:45 am
CodeMaster wrote:

Do you own a car of your own that is insured? If so, check with your insurance agent - often your own insurance will extend to the rental car.
+1
I found that my State Farm agent could provide full coverage on a rental car for about 40 cents per day. I do own a car that is already insured with State Farm. I only had to pay the additional amount for the duration of the rental. Best of luck.
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:28 am

Thread moved to Personal Finance (Not Investing).

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:26 am

CodeMaster wrote:

Yes, I buy it all the time when my auto insurance doesn't cover it. That's usually international or a specialized vehicle like a rental truck, but for standard rentals...might want to look at what your credit card will cover first.

But I don't think you can buy a standard insurance policy without even owning a car.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Startled Cat

Post by Startled Cat » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:32 am

Yes, I have a named non-owner policy through AAA I use for renting cars. The premium is only $100 per year (significantly cheaper than quotes I've received from other carriers).

This kind of coverage is worthwhile because, as noted by another poster, credit card car rental insurance does not cover liability, and depending on the state, a car rental will only bundle the minimum amount of liability coverage required by law, or may not include any liability insurance at all.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:36 am

I assume you're talking about liability coverage, which is usually cheaper than what you indicated.
I don't buy collision/comprehensive for rental cars because I've always used a credit card that covers that. Check your credit cards to see if they offer than coverage, and what the limitations are if they do.

When I moved back to the U.S. I bought a 'non-owner' liability policy because I knew I would be renting for awhile and would eventually need to roll that into coverage on whatever car I bought. The rates for a non-owner policy were not as cheap as I had hoped, what I thought was strange though was the price went DOWN on the policy after I bought a car... go figure... The insurance rep explained that it's because I bought a small and relatively 'safe' car, with the non-owner policy I might be driving a wider range of vehicles...
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Topic Author
CodeMaster

Post by CodeMaster » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:30 pm

Thank you sooooo much for all these great info and great leads even!! I truly appreciate it!!! :sharebeer :beer :beer :beer

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:45 pm

Startled Cat wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:32 am
Yes, I have a named non-owner policy through AAA I use for renting cars. The premium is only $100 per year (significantly cheaper than quotes I've received from other carriers).

This kind of coverage is worthwhile because, as noted by another poster, credit card car rental insurance does not cover liability, and depending on the state, a car rental will only bundle the minimum amount of liability coverage required by law, or may not include any liability insurance at all.
my car insurance already covers rentals, no additional rider required.