Do you carry your passport with you during international travel?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
wubdemil

Do you carry your passport with you during international travel?

Post by wubdemil » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:54 pm

Do you carry your passport with you during international travel or leave it at the hotel? What are the best practices?

Jags4186

Re: Do you carry your passport with you during international travel?

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:55 pm

Leave it in hotel safe.

Starper

Post by Starper » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:57 pm

Sometimes I carry a copy. Never the original except when I need it 100%

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:59 pm

I leave it in the hotel safe and carry a copy unless I need the original, say at a bank, currency exchange, police station, or the Bat Cave.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:59 pm

I usually leave it in the hotel safe, although, I have never traveled to a potentially dangerous location, where I might need my passport to flee to my home country's embassy for safety!!!

Although, for some countries, I did take it with me when I knew I might need to present "ID".

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:59 pm

Depends. On business, it's in my computer bag all the time. Even in the US, I do this as some govt contractors require proof of US citizenship to go into the facility. If I'm in Aruba swimming? No. If I'm in Aruba, riding a Harley? Yes.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:01 pm

I have a copy on my iPhone. Original stays at the hotel / apartment, in the safe if there is one.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:03 pm

Depending on the country. After becoming a US citizen, when I went back to my home country, I was carrying it 100% of the time. Being a US citizen in that country comes with a nice perk, some kind of immunity to police harassments at checkpoints versus say showing the national ID.
I was never asked to show it up in any of these checkpoints! But I was really hoping for it. :D
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:09 pm

I carry my passport with me traveling in border states in this country because there are some rogue police in those places. I don't carry my passport with me during international travel.
Last edited by HueyLD on Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:10 pm

wubdemil wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:54 pm
Do you carry your passport with you during international travel or leave it at the hotel? What are the best practices?
When traveling internationally my passport is always physically on me.

Not in the hotel safe. Not in my bag. Those options are way too dangerous.

I use this and I am very happy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GS ... 3EZYY&th=1

cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:10 pm

Some countries (Spain for one) require everyone to carry a national ID, and a U.S. state driver's license doesn't count. So probably good practice to always have your passport with you unless you know for sure it is not required.
De gustibus non est disputandum

Conch55

Post by Conch55 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:17 pm

Hotel safe when possible but always with a copy on my person. At times in central Asia and eastern Europe I was required to surrender my passport at a hotel reception to check-in. Mostly business travel and usually when a number of foreign visitors were checking in at the same time. A copy in my pocket offered reassurance until passport was back in my possession, sometimes the next day.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:35 pm

Depends on the country. The European countries I've been to (France, Italy, Belgium), the hotel safe is fine. Some third-would countries I've been to on mission trips in rural areas, I keep the passport, a couple of hundred USD in 20's, and a credit card, all in my money belt. This is my "get me to the airport, now!" plan should there be an unexpected coup or uprising.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:38 pm

I have left it in the hotel safe, but I usually carry it in a
money belt along with a backup credit card and cash beyond what
I would spend that day.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:42 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:55 pm
Leave it in hotel safe.
+1

cowdogman

Post by cowdogman » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:48 pm

Always carry it--usually in my shirt pocket--altho usually covered by suit jacket or sweater. But I'm pretty good about not losing stuff--and am not often in places where I have to worry about pickpockets. Plus if you're traveling on business, many office buildings/companies will require ID before issuing a pass. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it in the hotel, even in a safe.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:50 pm

I leave it in the hotel safe in countries that are safe; years ago in Brasil, my security dude said to carry it with me all the time -- that the hotel safes weren't secure. He was with me all the time so it wasn't going to walk away unless they grabbed me and him. That was a while ago when Brasil was a big kidnapping center.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

xb7

Post by xb7 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:58 pm

I think it has to be situational, no one approach fits all situations. A lot of people say "hotel safe", but I don't always stay in hotels --- hiking, for example, where I have everything on my back or (once recently) used a service moves extra stuff while I hike with a lighter pack. Or a biking trip where everything is in panniers. The passport definitely stays with me in those kinds of situations.

In the more traditional settings, I do tend to leave the passport in my lodgings, but this is very dependent on the country, locale within the country, and the specific lodgings. So if, for example, I'm staying in a hostel, I'll keep my passport on me, whereas in a nice hotel in one of the wealthier nations, I'll tend to leave the passport in my lodgings.

As far as how to carry it, my latest favorite approach is literally a pair of underwear with little zippered pockets on the thighs. That's ideal when the weather is warm. When it's cooler, the passport goes in a zippered sweater pocket or something similar.

I wonder when we'll replace physical passports with biometrics?

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:00 pm

I always have it with me. If something happens and I end up in a situation where I need real legal identification, a photocopy isn't likely to do the trick.

I have copies with my stuff.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:17 pm

I usually leave my passport in hotel safes, but carry a picture of it with my phone.
However, a few years ago, I tried to use my credit card to buy a subway ticket in Paris (or somewhere else in Europe) and I was asked to show my real passport, not the photocopy.

goingup

Post by goingup » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:20 pm

Yes, on my person when traveling internationally.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:29 pm

I leave it in the safe of wherever I am staying. I carry my DL with me for photo id.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:48 pm

cadreamer2015 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:10 pm
Some countries (Spain for one) require everyone to carry a national ID, and a U.S. state driver's license doesn't count. So probably good practice to always have your passport with you unless you know for sure it is not required.
So what about tourists visiting Spain? What is the penalty?

xb7

Post by xb7 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:18 pm

mptfan wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:48 pm
cadreamer2015 wrote:
So what about tourists visiting Spain? What is the penalty?
That's interesting. I've spent some time in Spain, cumulative months over multiple trips, and pretty much never had my passport on me. Indeed, I wonder what the penalty is for failing to have it if asked?

In my experience there, you're about as likely to be asked for a passport as you are going around in your own country --- i.e., almost never.

But then I never had any reason to interact with the police or the guardia civil in Spain, so have no knowledge from that angle. I think I might have used a travel agency there once and probably did bring my passport for that. Maybe at a higher end hotel or Parador or something when checking in (?). Maybe dealing with banks? but I just use the ATM --- the only time I can think of that I stood in line at a bank was when the ATM gave me 50 euro bills, so I asked them to change to 20's. Maybe if buying a high speed rail ticket (?).

I'm not saying this is wrong, just that I wouldn't particularly stress over it either.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:19 pm

cadreamer2015 wrote:
Yes, several years ago when I traveled to Spain I went to get some cash out of an ATM and after I got in the cash and turned around cop came up to me and wanted to see my passport. Fortunately I had it with me.

He looked at my passport, looked at me, look back at my passport, looked at me, and repeated this sequence several times then he said something to me in rapid Spanish which I didn't really understand. I replied, "No entiendo.". He said gracias patted me on the shoulder and let me go. I still have no idea what the whole thing was about.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:29 pm

Always on me, except when swimming or at a spa.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:43 pm

xb7 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:18 pm
I've spent some time in Spain, cumulative months over multiple trips, and pretty much never had my passport on me. Indeed, I wonder what the penalty is for failing to have it if asked?
Indeed.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:48 pm

mptfan wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:43 pm
xb7 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:18 pm
I've spent some time in Spain, cumulative months over multiple trips, and pretty much never had my passport on me. Indeed, I wonder what the penalty is for failing to have it if asked?
Indeed.
Good question. Practical answer is probably low risk. I had a residency card in BE and carried it with me almost all the time. Theoretically I could have been asked to present it anywhere but that only happened at official places.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:24 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:55 pm
Leave it in hotel safe.
^This. I have pictures of my passport and that of my DW's on my phone, which I always have with me.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:44 pm

Turbo29 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:19 pm
cadreamer2015 wrote:
Yes, several years ago when I traveled to Spain I went to get some cash out of an ATM and after I got in the cash and turned around cop came up to me and wanted to see my passport. Fortunately I had it with me.

He looked at my passport, looked at me, look back at my passport, looked at me, and repeated this sequence several times then he said something to me in rapid Spanish which I didn't really understand. I replied, "No entiendo.". He said gracias patted me on the shoulder and let me go. I still have no idea what the whole thing was about.
Generally speaking, I'd be wary of a foreign cop asking to see my passport. It may not be a real cop. This scam is common in places like Colombia, and some dudes pretending to be undercover cops tried to part me from my passport in Tehran.

dandinsac

Post by dandinsac » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:50 pm

I used to carry mine until I lost it (or had it pickpocketed) in Paris. I found that it was fairly easy to get replaced at the US Embassy, but it took several hours to first get photos taken, do the interview, and then wait to get the replacement. Now, I just carry a photocopy.

If you’re traveling far from an embassy or consulate, it would be a real pain to get a replacement.

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:17 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:01 pm
I have a copy on my iPhone. Original stays at the hotel / apartment, in the safe if there is one.
What does this mean? A photo on the iPhone, or something more formal?

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:22 pm

I always carry it - deep in the front pocket of tight fitting jeans.

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:51 pm

Yes. Outside North America I keep it on me. I keep a photocopy of the biometric page and relevant visas in my luggage to assist if I ever need to use consular services for a new one.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:54 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:22 pm
I always carry it - deep in the front pocket of tight fitting jeans.
+1

I use
https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Trav ... 204&sr=8-8

Also have DW and mine in my briefcase when traveling domestically - in case one of us forgets our drivers' license.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:07 pm

I recently renewed and also got a passport card. I plan to keep my passport card with me while leaving the passport in my lodgings. While I think the card only works for border crossings with Mexico and Canada, it has all the pertinent info on it and I hope would satisfy whatever authority is asking for it, at least temporarily.

Critiques?

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:09 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:59 pm
I leave it in the hotel safe and carry a copy unless I need the original, say at a bank, currency exchange, police station, or the Bat Cave.
Do you set the combination of the hotel safe to 1-2-3-4?

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:14 pm

We also use passports when flying domestically because one time the TSA officer in a faraway city didn’t think my Enhanced DL was from a real state. He hand-wrote an SSSS on my boarding pass and got very special treatment on the remainder of my trip.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

spectec

Post by spectec » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:25 pm

FoolMeOnce wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:07 pm
I recently renewed and also got a passport card. I plan to keep my passport card with me while leaving the passport in my lodgings. While I think the card only works for border crossings with Mexico and Canada, it has all the pertinent info on it and I hope would satisfy whatever authority is asking for it, at least temporarily.

Critiques?
I think your idea has merit if you are going to leave the passport in your lodgings. If you carry the passport card along with a color copy of your passport, then you've done everything you can short of carrying the actual passport. Personally, my passport never leaves my person when I'm in a foreign country. It's always in a sealed plastic bag inside an Eagle Creek hidden pocket. Best way to secure passport and money I've ever seen. https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Bloc ... B00BYFAIH0

Without your actual passport, you are potentially a person without a country if you suddenly find yourself in a medical or other type of emergency.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:29 pm

After having my bag stolen on a train overseas several years ago, with my passport and everything else in it, I started to carry TWO passports. One (primary) stays in my pants in transit, the other in the bag. When checked in to lodging, I carry the backup passport around with me, and leave the primary passport somewhere as secure as possible.

It’s not commonly known, but Americans *can* have two US passports. One is a 10-year, the backup is a 2-year.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:38 pm

I carry my passport with me during international travel, typically in a neck wallet under my shirt. I leave copies in all of my luggage and other belongings. You never know when you will need your passport. Among other things, for example, you need a passport to buy a SIM card in Spain.
Artful Dodger wrote:
Under no circumstances would I ever hand or show my unlocked phone to law enforcement. I'm an attorney, and I have privileged communications on my phone, but I'd have the same policy regardless. How do you go about getting it back if they start looking through it?

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:52 pm

jhfenton wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:38 pm
I carry my passport with me during international travel, typically in a neck wallet under my shirt. I leave copies in all of my luggage and other belongings. You never know when you will need your passport. Among other things, for example, you need a passport to buy a SIM card in Spain.
Artful Dodger wrote:
Under no circumstances would I ever hand or show my unlocked phone to law enforcement. I'm an attorney, and I have privileged communications on my phone, but I'd have the same policy regardless. How do you go about getting it back if they start looking through it?
Completely agree. Maybe it’s his lock-screen display.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:03 pm

AerialWombat wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:29 pm
It’s not commonly known, but Americans *can* have two US passports. One is a 10-year, the backup is a 2-year.
Wow, is this true? I've never heard of this before, do you have a cite?

AddingUp

Post by AddingUp » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:07 pm

I always carry my passport with me when I travel internationally. I'm super careful with my possessions, and I've never had any problems.

The exception is when I'm actually living overseas and have my own private, leased apartment (not AirBnB). On those occasions, I'll leave my passport locked up and hidden somewhere in the apartment--and I'll carry only a photocopy of the passport info page with me.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:22 pm

For business yes I always carry the passport with me. On vacations I always left in the hotel safe just due to activities and the such. 10+ years of international travel to 13 different countries without an issue.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:22 pm

Turbo29 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:19 pm
cadreamer2015 wrote:

We travel to Europe annually, and unless we’re in transit to a new destination we usually leave our passports in our room and carry color copies of the passport biometric page, as well as a copy on my phone. A few years ago I lost my wallet to a pickpocket. We filed the police report with the National Police in Malaga (Spain) and the officer seemed perfectly happy to accept photocopies of each passport.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:44 pm

Yes, passport is almost always on me in a secure fashion. Only exception would be if I were swimming or something similar that would prevent me from safely keeping it with me.

Mickey7

Post by Mickey7 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:58 pm

I keep my passport with me in my money belt, the passport card in my wallet and a copy at the hotel.

kramer

Post by kramer » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:11 pm

I carry my US passport card with me, I have a picture of my passport on my phone, and I leave my passport at my hotel or home unless I have a specific use for it that day. I often also take a picture of my passport entry stamp, if there is one.

In some police states, like China, you might have to reverse this strategy.

I do think it is important to always have some sort of official ID with you. Even for minor things, like leaving it at the desk of a museum when you check out an audio guide or maybe when you use a Visa card you are asked for an ID.

I am very happy that I got a US Passport card.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:14 pm

In some places I have traveled, it would have lead to issues if I were unable to present it. But either a copy or my passport is in the hotel safe, depending.