Social Security

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Tea

Social Security

Post by Tea »

I understand that if I defer taking social security payments after my retirement age the payments will increase by 8% for each year that I wait. I also understand that those taking social security payments will receive cost of living increases, which was 2.8% in 2018. If I defer taking payments, is the increase 8% plus the cost of living increase each year or just the 8% without the cost of living increase?
Beefriendly

Re: Social Security

Post by Beefriendly »

Yes, the increase will also include compounded cost of living adjustments (COLA's). Kiplinger has an easy to understand article on this.
Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon »

To clarify it's not 8% from age 62 > FRA. Varies each year and not always 8%, ranges from6.x to 8.x

http://www.socialsecuritychoices.com/blog/?p=563
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

From the wiki (https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Social_Security)
If you take, or are deemed to take, your own benefit before your FRA, your benefit is reduced by 5/9% per month for each of the first 36 months and 5/12% per month for each month beyond 36 months that you choose to receive your benefit before FRA.

If you take, or are deemed to take, your own benefit after your FRA, your benefit is increased by 2/3% per month for each month after FRA that you choose to receive your benefit, up to, but not including, age 70.
After FRA, you get additional benefit of 8%/yr up to age 70.
FRA's range from age 65 - 67, depending on year of birth.
Topic Author
Tea

Post by Tea »

Thanks to all for your help, which is excellent as usual.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Consider investigating your numbers using https://opensocialsecurity.com/ before you decide when to start.

It's a terrific tool.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
retiredflyboy

Post by retiredflyboy »

Hard to find an investment where you get a 6 to 8% increase on top of inflation for each year you delay. :sharebeer
Facts are stubborn things. Everything works until it doesn’t.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

retiredflyboy wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:20 pm Hard to find an investment where you get a 6 to 8% increase on top of inflation for each year you delay. :sharebeer
Apples & oranges. I personally will wait until 70 to collect my benefit, but an annual 8% increase in FUTURE benefits does not equate to a 6-8% inflation corrected return on an investment.