Regulatory authority: myequifax login problems?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
CFIT

Regulatory authority: myequifax login problems?

Post by CFIT » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:49 pm

This is likely grasping at straws, but is there any regulatory authority to which we could complain about the widespread login problems with myequifax.com? My experience, mirrored on many threads here, is that month after month I get a login error when trying to access my account. Yes, I have called and been able to freeze and unfreeze my credit, so I'm not without alternatives. I'm also not sure if Equifax's provision of this service is a regulatory requirement, so there may be no one to complain to.

I can't decide if Equifax is merely incompetent or if this is part of a scheme on their part. Given their history, including the data breach, I could go with either explanation.

Trader Joe

Re: Regulatory authority: myequifax login problems?

Post by Trader Joe » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:12 pm

CFIT wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:49 pm
This is likely grasping at straws, but is there any regulatory authority to which we could complain about the widespread login problems with myequifax.com? My experience, mirrored on many threads here, is that month after month I get a login error when trying to access my account. Yes, I have called and been able to freeze and unfreeze my credit, so I'm not without alternatives. I'm also not sure if Equifax's provision of this service is a regulatory requirement, so there may be no one to complain to.

I can't decide if Equifax is merely incompetent or if this is part of a scheme on their part. Given their history, including the data breach, I could go with either explanation.
The answer is the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC):

https://www.ftc.gov/contact

I have a question for you. Why would you (or anyone) trust Equifax with your information, given their proven track record of failure?

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:12 pm

Trader Joe wrote:Why would you (or anyone) trust Equifax with your information, given their proven track record of failure?
We have no choice in the matter. Whether we trust them or not, whether we ever use them or not, Equifax and the other credit reporting agencies have our information. We didn't give it to them, they got it from the companies with which we do business.

Bandrad

Post by Bandrad » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:33 pm

If there is one company that truly is a pure face of evil then it’s Equifax. This all started in July when I tried checking for free credit reports for my wife. TransUnion and Experian have these reports online but Equifax added some bogus questions for identity verification and declared that they wanted a snail mail with SSN and Drivers license for proof. We sent them these sensitive docs to check how far they are going to play along. They did send it after 2 weeks. I was also able to open an account on my Equifax.com for her. Now, when I tried doing this for me, the same script repeated and they asked me to send docs in mail. I sent them the docs and they sent a reply saying my SSN can’t be verified and they want my old address verified. I sent them drivers license with new address, so not sure why they want my old address verified.

I tried creating an account online and it didn’t allow me to do so. Called their customer service which is based in Philippines and they asked a bunch of personal questions and told me that my account can’t be opened online since the address they have on file is for older one. They want me to send a snail mail with new address to open an account on my Equifax.com. My question is, who gave them the authority to decide which address they have on file for people. How is it our problem that they get these data incorrectly and then ask us to prove it otherwise?

My guess is that they have bunkered down after their data breach settlement and now they have erected multiple moats around their incorrect data to avoid another settlement payout since we are not their bread and butter. Shame on credit issuers who use Equifax. TransUnion is 100% accurate from my experience and they are a breeze to deal with. I guess Equifax will go out of business in a decade when no credit issuers use their incorrect data.

1rl9DS5gl2

Post by 1rl9DS5gl2 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:39 pm

Don't get me started. You're exactly right in saying they are "the pure face of evil". I filed a complaint with the CFPA which took me hours and got me nowhere. Someone (perhaps Elizabeth Warren) really should put them out of business. You are merely their raw material. Their customer is the firm wondering if you deserve credit.