Side income ideas for a non-lawyer JD holder?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Lynx310650

Side income ideas for a non-lawyer JD holder?

Post by Lynx310650 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:41 pm

I graduated from law school and worked "BIGLAW" for about a year before being laid off during the Great Recession. I found a non-law government job and have been employed in it since then.

My job is pretty solid. I get to work from home most of the time, and have a lot of freedom during business hours as I just need to get my work done whenever. Benefits are good, too. No pension. But it's also pretty boring and I have no potential to move up anymore. My spouse and I are about 3 years away - at our current savings rate - from being financially independent. So I don't feel the need to rock the boat too much in terms of looking for a new job or career.

As such, I've begun looking for some side income/hustle ideas. IDEALLY, I'd like it to be law related (I still do harbor dreams of having my own law practice one day) and/or something I could transition into working more hours once we hit FI and I feel good about leaving my current job. But I'm also open to any suggestions. I think the biggest resource I have is time, as I can work on this most days during business hours.

Any suggestions would be welcome, thank you.

skepticalobserver

Re: Side income ideas for a non-lawyer JD holder?

Post by skepticalobserver » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:52 pm

You could sign-up with the legal research services for attorneys I see advertised online--pleadings, trial transcript review/appellate briefs, etc. It may give credibility if you're admitted someplace--are you?

Tedd

Post by Tedd » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:56 pm

Adjunct professor (online, community college, or local university) teaching business law, contracts, etc either undergrad or for an MBA program.

Colleges/universities will hire adjuncts with terminal degrees (like you) so it doesn't jeopardize their accredidation.

ChiKid24

Post by ChiKid24 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:02 pm

Do you have any interests that you can tie to the side hustle? If so, that's what I'd focus on, rather than the fact that you have a JD. I've found that things that interest me can also earn income. And if I like what I'm doing, it's easy to do more of it and increase the income. Then eventually my interest can replace my boring bill paying job.

Additionally, because you already have an income and excess time, you can sacrifice income today to learn from someone who needs help (like an apprenticeship). Examples:
1) If you like the idea of owning real estate, offer to work for an agent or an investor for free.
2) If you love sports, music, entertainment and the idea of being an agent excites you, call up an agency and ask them if they could use any help
3) If you want to start your own business some day, offer up your services to a startup

All of these opportunities would love getting free (or severely discounted) hours from someone with a JD. They can lead to a great full paying job down the road, but regardless you get good experience / knowledge in something that you're interested in anyway.

Good luck!

6Pack

Post by 6Pack » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:39 pm

Have you thought about taking the bar exam? I have a day job with the feds and a law practice on the side (transactional stuff).

EDIT: if you have spare time, studying for the bar won’t be tough and the biggest hurdle to being a lawyer is law school, and you’ve already got that covered. Also, the amount you can make per hour as a lawyer will be much more than a legal assistant.

Topic Author
Lynx310650

Post by Lynx310650 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:50 pm

6Pack wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:39 pm
Have you thought about taking the bar exam? I have a day job with the feds and a law practice on the side (transactional stuff).

EDIT: if you have spare time, studying for the bar won’t be tough and the biggest hurdle to being a lawyer is law school, and you’ve already got that covered. Also, the amount you can make per hour as a lawyer will be much more than a legal assistant.
Thanks for the reply.

This answers a question from above as well, I'm actually licensed in California. (took and passed bar)

And you are kind of doing exactly what would be ideal for me. I still harbor some dream/hope of having my own practice, and I'd love to get my feet wet with a small practice on the side doing transactional work. Not sure where/how to start though as my only "experience" is doing document review and due diligence for large corporations for about a year as a junior associate.

6Pack

Post by 6Pack » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:59 pm

Estate planning goes hand-in-hand with personal finance. If you take a few CLEs, find a local mentor, and beat the street marketing, you can get an estate planning practice going.

I do estate planning, probate, and business law (contracts, LLCs, etc..).

Just keep your overhead low, provide good value and service to your clients, and it’s the ultimate side job.

What state are you in now?

Topic Author
Lynx310650

Post by Lynx310650 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:06 pm

6Pack wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:59 pm
Estate planning goes hand-in-hand with personal finance. If you take a few CLEs, find a local mentor, and beat the street marketing, you can get an estate planning practice going.

I do estate planning, probate, and business law (contracts, LLCs, etc..).

Just keep your overhead low, provide good value and service to your clients, and it’s the ultimate side job.

What state are you in now?
Thanks! Wow, yea you are kind of living my dream.. Estate planning was the field I was looking at. I also speak a foreign language of a fairly sizable and aging immigrant community, so I was thinking of that as a potential "in" or "niche".

I malpractice insurance fairly affordable? Also, what kind of arrangements do you make for an office if/when you meet clients? Hope you don't mind the questions!

I'm actually still in CA.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:12 pm

Lynx310650 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:41 pm
I graduated from law school and worked "BIGLAW" for about a year before being laid off during the Great Recession. I found a non-law government job and have been employed in it since then.

My job is pretty solid. I get to work from home most of the time, and have a lot of freedom during business hours as I just need to get my work done whenever. Benefits are good, too. No pension. But it's also pretty boring and I have no potential to move up anymore. My spouse and I are about 3 years away - at our current savings rate - from being financially independent. So I don't feel the need to rock the boat too much in terms of looking for a new job or career.

As such, I've begun looking for some side income/hustle ideas. IDEALLY, I'd like it to be law related (I still do harbor dreams of having my own law practice one day) and/or something I could transition into working more hours once we hit FI and I feel good about leaving my current job. But I'm also open to any suggestions. I think the biggest resource I have is time, as I can work on this most days during business hours.

Fellow non-practicing attorney here. I realized I didn't want to practice during my 3L year (I worked extensively at a law firm throughout law school and realized it wasn't for me) but still graduated in the top 1/3 of my class and passed the bar. However, I immediately went to a mega-corp to do contract management and negotiations which quickly lead into risk and compliance work--I'm much more on the risk management side, which has fewer attorneys than compliance. I'm very happy and well compensated (higher than the average attorney with comparable years of experience) and have a better quality of life.

At my prior mega-corp, there was a blanket rule that all attorneys (whether or not they were acting in that capacity for the corporation) were prohibited from the outside practice of law, with the exception of approved pro-bono work. My current employer has similar rules and likewise requires disclosure of any outside employment (regardless of type) to ensure against conflicts of interest . . . outside, compensated, legal work would likely be prohibited.

All this is to say that you must be certain your employer would even allow you to engage in the outside practice of law--my experiences are not unique though they're all within the same industries (financial services, banking and insurance). That said, I would recommend you evaluate options for pro-bono work as this is likely permitted by most employers and looked favorably on for networking and maintaining skills. I've done some pro-bono work since graduating and found it highly rewarding.

KT785

6Pack

Post by 6Pack » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:14 pm

Last edited by 6Pack on Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:37 pm

You have little law experience and haven’t practiced in awhile. Consider working part-time or project-based for an experienced attorney so you can gain experience and your work will have oversight. Don’t bite off more than you can chew yet taking on clients as a sole practitioner.

skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:47 pm

6Pack wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:14 pm
I don’t have malpractice insurance - my state doesn’t require it. I just structured my assets in a way that even if I do get sued, there won’t be any seizable assets. Some might have a dim view of this, but I view it as protecting myself and something everyone should do.
So, you're going to ignore a complaint, become the object of a default judgement and a judgement lien? At some point this is going to catch up with you.

Unless you have malpractice judgements, pending claims or a disciplinary history, LPL premiums should not be too much for $1M/$1M. Some carriers will let you finance the premium or pay in installments. (ABA Insurance Directory, https://www.americanbar.org/groups/lawy ... directory/)

LPL coverage includes defense costs; just answering a complaint would be more than the premium!

financeperchance

Post by financeperchance » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:55 pm

I would browse upwork.com -- there are various projects there that may be a good fit, such as contract writing or writing law-related articles.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:18 pm

skepticalobserver wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:47 pm
6Pack wrote:
I don’t have malpractice insurance - my state doesn’t require it. I just structured my assets in a way that even if I do get sued, there won’t be any seizable assets. Some might have a dim view of this, but I view it as protecting myself and something everyone should do.
So, you're going to ignore a complaint, become the object of a default judgement and a judgement lien? At some point this is going to catch up with you.

Unless you have malpractice judgements, pending claims or a disciplinary history, LPL premiums should not be too much for $1M/$1M. Some carriers will let you finance the premium or pay in installments. (ABA Insurance Directory, https://www.americanbar.org/groups/lawy ... directory/)

LPL coverage includes defense costs; just answering a complaint would be more than the premium!
He didn't say he wouldn't defend against a claim. Maybe he'll even do it himself....
One of the states in which I'm admitted has a mandatory liability fund that costs $3,500 for $300,000 in coverage (plus an additional $50,000 for costs of defense). Every solo lawyer I've ever asked in other jurisdictions has more private coverage for less money.

Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:24 pm

skepticalobserver wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:47 pm
6Pack wrote:

I agree. There are very few valid reasons to not have malpractice insurance. Too much is at stake to cheap out on a thousand bucks or less a year. It'd be like not buying title insurance.

skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:30 pm

EddyB wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:18 pm
Maybe he'll even do it himself....
I hope he's a lot smarter than that.

The only way to avoid the possibility of a claim is to not practice. Any lawyer can make a mistake (or have a client think you've made a mistake).

financeperchance

Post by financeperchance » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Lynx310650 wrote:
My spouse and I are about 3 years away - at our current savings rate - from being financially independent. So I don't feel the need to rock the boat too much in terms of looking for a new job or career.
BTW based on that fact, I gotta say I agree with the others who say to get insurance. As Warren Buffett puts it, you never want to risk what you have and need for what you don't have and don't need.

Do check out upwork though too--realistically I think the risk of being sued for malpractice from any of those projects is pretty minuscule. I know when I've hired lawyers to do projects from that site it always comes with the disclaimer by them that it's not an attorney-client relationship.

novillero

Post by novillero » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:21 pm

my thoughts having had my own solo practice.

Don’t forego the insurance. It will also include the defense costs. And some smart attorney may find ways around whatever asset protection measures you set up.

Don’t take a case you don’t have enough training/knowledge/education in... that’s a sure way to get sued and as well as wasting your time & money getting up to speed on something.

Don’t let yourself be pressured into doing something you are uncomfortable with.

The above two will happen when you view money as your motivating factor.

You can get for cheap a website, efax, biz cards.

Call forwarding service. A cell phone is good, but people know when you are on your cell. They want an attorney who is stable and a cell phone does not project that.

Look to share office space with another attorney (You’ll get an office plus a receptionist, copier, etc). You don’t want to meet clients in your home, or at a restaurant, etc. it’s not very professional. People expect their attorney to be a certain caliber... be that guy.

Lexus-nexus could be 175/mo.

What software will you need? Is there a set of forms you will need to have. these are usually a one year license.

Factor in local advertising, CLE costs, bar association costs.

Go to a small bar/solo law firm conference. Join legal groups in your área. Since you are not going to be a general practitioner, it’s good to be “that guy” when other attorneys refer cases. Meet other young attorneys who don’t already have “that guy.”

What other professions could refer business to you? Accountants, financial planners, realtors? Also think about local referral groups that meet on a regular basis. you will always need to market yourself - win times are slow, it’s too late.

Look for a mentor in the area you will be specializing in. You will always have questions.

Does your state require you to have a bona fide office?

Learn the IOLTA rules backward and forwards. This is how many attorneys get in trouble.

My business had serious ebbs and flows in income due to the nature of the work. Make sure you are prepared for the lean times.

Wait to hire someone. hiring changes the rules of how you operate and also increases your overhead dramatically.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:30 pm

Lynx310650 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:50 pm
This answers a question from above as well, I'm actually licensed in California. (took and passed bar)
How do you feel about tax law?

Tax controversy representation is very financially rewarding. Most of the work is procedural and boring, but that makes it a perfect side hustle. If you’re admitted to the bar in one state, you have unlimited representation rights in front of the IRS for clients in any state or territory. Also, it’s only $25 for you to be admitted to tax court.

I built two successful practices in this arena, and now own a company that teaches CE/CPE/CLE on this topic.

Much simpler idea: Teach CPA tax CPE or legal CLE for fun and profit.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

Gill

Post by Gill » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:43 pm

Why do you call yourself a “non-lawyer JD holder”? Seems to me you are a lawyer who is admitted to practice.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:50 pm

Jay Foonberg resources for solo practice, https://foonberglaw.com/

Foonberg's Law: Better to not do the work and not get paid than do the work and not get paid.

Topic Author
Lynx310650

Post by Lynx310650 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:18 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:37 pm
You have little law experience and haven’t practiced in awhile. Consider working part-time or project-based for an experienced attorney so you can gain experience and your work will have oversight. Don’t bite off more than you can chew yet taking on clients as a sole practitioner.
Thanks, I was even thinking of working for free or asking shadow an attorney for a while to learn. Jives with the poster above who suggested trading money for time at this moment. I'd agree.

I have nothing to lose from asking or seeking out such an arrangement, but I have also wondered how likely it would be to get an attorney to help me learn a practice in which I might become a future competitor..

Topic Author
Lynx310650

Post by Lynx310650 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:19 pm

Gill wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:43 pm
Why do you call yourself a “non-lawyer JD holder”? Seems to me you are a lawyer who is admitted to practice.
Gill
Well I guess because I don't actually practice law, but yes I am licensed.

Topic Author
Lynx310650

Post by Lynx310650 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:20 pm

AerialWombat wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:30 pm
Lynx310650 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:50 pm
How do you feel about tax law?

Tax controversy representation is very financially rewarding. Most of the work is procedural and boring, but that makes it a perfect side hustle. If you’re admitted to the bar in one state, you have unlimited representation rights in front of the IRS for clients in any state or territory. Also, it’s only $25 for you to be admitted to tax court.

I built two successful practices in this arena, and now own a company that teaches CE/CPE/CLE on this topic.

Much simpler idea: Teach CPA tax CPE or legal CLE for fun and profit.
Right now I'm interested in all suggestions, :D .

The only thing I could never imagine doing is criminal defense type work or anything requiring a ton of courtroom time/presence. Just not my cup of tea.

Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:47 pm

Lynx310650 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:18 pm
HomeStretch wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:37 pm
Thanks, I was even thinking of working for free or asking shadow an attorney for a while to learn. Jives with the poster above who suggested trading money for time at this moment. I'd agree.

I have nothing to lose from asking or seeking out such an arrangement, but I have also wondered how likely it would be to get an attorney to help me learn a practice in which I might become a future competitor..
I've thought about the best ways to transition to another area. One way was to find a retiring solo.

hsmith

Post by hsmith » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:25 pm

Lynx310650 wrote:

Have you thought about being an arbitrator? There are a variety of different subject areas in which arbitrators work - e.g., commercial, labor, lemon law cases. Most cases would have to be heard during normal working hours, and most would require a full day off from your regular job, though.

ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:23 pm

Lynx310650 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:06 pm

Thanks! Wow, yea you are kind of living my dream.. Estate planning was the field I was looking at. I also speak a foreign language of a fairly sizable and aging immigrant community, so I was thinking of that as a potential "in" or "niche".

I malpractice insurance fairly affordable? Also, what kind of arrangements do you make for an office if/when you meet clients? Hope you don't mind the questions!

Our estate planning attorney lives in our community. He has an office about 20 miles to the east, but has an arrangement with a local insurance agent to meet clients in her office. He has a similar arrangement with a law firm in a city approximately 15 miles to the west. This way he is able to cover the entire county. There are also companies that lease professional office space by the day in their offices - we met our estate lawyer in one of those some years ago. And I’ve scheduled depositions in conference rooms at such facilities.

I also recommend that you join your local bar association and participate in any section devoted to the practice area you select. Also join the State Bar’s section for that practice area. Attend as many MCLE programs that you can. As you gain experience, do what it takes to get State Bar Certified in your practice area.

Topic Author
Lynx310650

Post by Lynx310650 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:52 am

ClaycordJCA wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:23 pm
Lynx310650 wrote:

Our estate planning attorney lives in our community. He has an office about 20 miles to the east, but has an arrangement with a local insurance agent to meet clients in her office. He has a similar arrangement with a law firm in a city approximately 15 miles to the west. This way he is able to cover the entire county. There are also companies that lease professional office space by the day in their offices - we met our estate lawyer in one of those some years ago. And I’ve scheduled depositions in conference rooms at such facilities.

I also recommend that you join your local bar association and participate in any section devoted to the practice area you select. Also join the State Bar’s section for that practice area. Attend as many MCLE programs that you can. As you gain experience, do what it takes to get State Bar Certified in your practice area.
Thank you for the advice!

Topic Author
Lynx310650

Post by Lynx310650 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:53 am

hsmith wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:25 pm
Lynx310650 wrote:

Have you thought about being an arbitrator? There are a variety of different subject areas in which arbitrators work - e.g., commercial, labor, lemon law cases. Most cases would have to be heard during normal working hours, and most would require a full day off from your regular job, though.
No I haven't considered it, but I'll look into it now. Thank you!

rj342

Post by rj342 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:24 pm

I had a friend from HS who graduated law school but never practiced. His connected dad got him a couple summer clerkships at a couple big in state !aw firms. Seeing the whole associate slave grind in hopes of making partner someday, decided it was not for him. Also didnt want to be one of solo practice guys busting their butts to just barely getting by on scraps.
Ended spending a couple decades teaching English overseas. Not a lot of money but great experiences. Poland, Taiwan, China.
In between long term gigs he worked a few years as a researcher, using some those skills he learned for that JD for a commercial title company that did a lot of business for companjes buying property or rights for cell towers.
You might find some legal research work.

TIAX

Post by TIAX » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:35 pm

Lynx310650 wrote:
You should be able to get $1M of malpractice insurance for $3k per year or so. Talk to some solos in the area for insurer recommendations. As for meetings, you could offer to come to your clients' homes. Otherwise, check co-working spaces like WeWork or your local bar associations.