relocating across country

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Hillview

relocating across country

Post by Hillview » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:57 pm

Hi all wise Bogleheads. I am anticipating a relocation from New England to San Diego. Any words of wisdom on making a relocation as easy as possible for a family. Fortunately the finances seem to be well placed and the relocation budget I've been given is 220k which seems very generous.
Thank you!

megabad

Re: relocating across country

Post by megabad » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:25 pm

Hillview wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:57 pm
Hi all wise Bogleheads. I am anticipating a relocation from New England to San Diego. Any words of wisdom on making a relocation as easy as possible for a family. Fortunately the finances seem to be well placed and the relocation budget I've been given is 220k which seems very generous.
Thank you!
In your pay range I would assume you have access to a professional relo provider like Graebel? Working with them was great for me. They bought my house, hired turnkey movers, and set us up with temp Corp housing until we found a more permanent home. When I was younger I did the whole move myself and it was 100x worse. I had two mortgages and many days of rushed backbreaking work...and then I had to start a new job. I don’t know what services are available to you but I would lean on your corporate provider as much as possible.

Take a bunch of time off if possible. I ended up taking nearly all of my vacation and needed it with the last move. Rent before you buy in new area unless you have lived there and are very familiar with the area.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:26 pm

Have you made a few visits? It will be a bit of a culture shock. I grew up in San Diego but my parents were from New York City. One of my greatest gifts as I got older was translating between the two coasts. ;)

Wonderful, year round weather which is great if you love sports and are active. Culturally it can be hard to find deeper friendships because of the transitory nature of the area. It's more common than when I grew up (60s and 70s) but there were very few multi-generational families in the area. As I like to say, there were a lot of "Hi, bye school friendships" as so many people only stayed in the area for a couple of years before they were transferred elsewhere.

Housing might be much more than what you are currently paying depending on where you are living. Compared to Boston, perhaps not. Are you planning to rent or buy?

Traditions are less likely to be followed/respected. Be careful if you have typical sarcastic East Coast humor. It often doesn't translate well and you can find yourself on the outs with the Natives.

Despite how it looks, San Diego is not a tropical area. It's a coastal desert with < 10 inches of rain. Mind your water usage; the long, dry summers (typically dry from mid April to mid Nov) can create shockingly high water bills if you're trying to keep a green lawn for kids or pets.

Traffic can be a bear. Make sure you test your commute a few times during commute hours before you commit to a lease or purchase. North County (Oceanside/Carlsbad) to even the greater University Town Center/UCSD area is brutal.

I'm glad I grew up there and in some ways it's a lot more interesting town than when I grew up. But we've sold out our interests and choose to stay in the SF Bay Area.

I hope you enjoy it. Feel free to PM if you have additional questions.

IMO

Post by IMO » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:38 pm

Hillview wrote:
Thank you!
"San Diego" is a pretty large place. I would start by looking for an area to live that is a short commute and also has a good public school (unless you're doing private) for your kids.

One can live near/on the coast, inland, etc. There are various "flavors" to different parts of San Diego. For example, living in Hillcrest is going to be different than living in Pacific Beach vs. living in Carlsbad vs. living in Coronado, etc, etc. Traffic can be a big issue, so if keep that in mind.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:55 pm

Sell close to everything.

It makes the move so much easier.

Topic Author
Hillview

Post by Hillview » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:35 pm

IMO wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:38 pm
Hillview wrote:
Thank you!
"San Diego" is a pretty large place. I would start by looking for an area to live that is a short commute and also has a good public school (unless you're doing private) for your kids.

One can live near/on the coast, inland, etc. There are various "flavors" to different parts of San Diego. For example, living in Hillcrest is going to be different than living in Pacific Beach vs. living in Carlsbad vs. living in Coronado, etc, etc. Traffic can be a big issue, so if keep that in mind.
Thanks we will be looking at homes in Poway or 4s Ranch areas (or near by). That would be a pretty easy commute for me.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:36 pm

Lots of housing options in North County.

I’ve move from coast to coast 7 times in my life, the most recently in June from Hawaii to North Carolina picking up our car in San Diego and driving from there. This last move was the most enjoyable by far as we took our time and saw the sights and visited family. That is what I’d recommend if you have the time, make it an adventure. If you have school age kids, that isn’t really an option but if you can, do it that way.

ScaledWheel

Post by ScaledWheel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:57 pm

The relo package seems more than enough, though I know that trucking cars can be expensive, especially at that distance. Professional movers will pack and unpack things (closet to closet); I assume one is included in your package. Get rid of as much as possible. Moving is a great way to cull things that you haven't used in 1,2,3+ years.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:04 pm

How could one possibly need $220K to move?! This is just a huge signing bonus, no?

I am also getting ready for a cross-country move but fortunately I am a renter; unfortunately I am not getting paid over a year's salary to do it :).

Any advice for a more boglehead move? Main concern is movers that also enable storage temporarily while finding a place (and staying in a hotel or similar).

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:35 am

MotoTrojan wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:04 pm
How could one possibly need $220K to move?! This is just a huge signing bonus, no?
I had a similar thought-----then I pondered the costs of buying and selling homes (in two very expensive areas no less), possible mortgage differentials, temporary living costs, relocation "scouting" trips, permanent relocation travel, tax gross-ups and the like----and it is easy to see how $220K could easily be "eaten up."
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

chessknt

Post by chessknt » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:02 am

Sconie wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:35 am
MotoTrojan wrote:
I had a similar thought-----then I pondered the costs of buying and selling homes (in two very expensive areas no less), possible mortgage differentials, temporary living costs, relocation "scouting" trips, permanent relocation travel, tax gross-ups and the like----and it is easy to see how $220K could easily be "eaten up."
I am assuming it is a typo for 22k. Even moving a mansion worth of goods (eg 10k sqft) that far shouldn't cost more than 75k for an all included service and unless he is flying on chartered jets and renting a seaside villa for 20k/month I have no idea how he could possibly spend the rest travelling.

To answer the question you need to know if you want to rent or buy at your destination and if you have a home to sell. The easiest is to use a full service moving company that packs, ships, and unpacks everything and you just fly out before it all starts to happen.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:35 am

runner3081 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:55 pm

This!

I've told the story many times of my friend who sold his house, sold his goat, sold everything that would not fit in a Volvo wagon and small trailer. He then moved from MA to Dallas, bought a new house and bought all new stuff.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:41 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:35 am
runner3081 wrote:

This!

I've told the story many times of my friend who sold his house, sold his goat, sold everything that would not fit in a Volvo wagon and small trailer. He then moved from MA to Dallas, bought a new house and bought all new stuff.
This is my plan when I retire in next year or three. Goat??

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:26 am

I was working at a lower level when I once did a corporate cross country relocation, here are a few things that I found.

1) If you will be selling and buying a house and the company will be paying those costs then your company may only pay for some specific costs. My company had a formal relocation policy document that specified just which costs they would and would not pay. By giving my real estate agents copies of that section of the relocation documents the sales and purchase contracts could be written up so that most of my costs were the ones the company would pay. The buyers and sellers were OK with that as long as their net amount was the same. Some of the costs were also listed on the contract using the same terminology that the relocation document used.

2) Most of the expenses the company will pay will be taxable to you so the company should "gross up" your reimbursement. For example if you have a $100 expense that you paid then the company may pay you $150 so that you can pay $50 in taxes and get that $100 back after taxes. There will be some costs that you will need to pay for and then get reimbursed for later so may need some extra cash available for that. If your tax situation is complicated then how they figure out to pay you the extra $50 may not be accurate. My company also paid me a months bonus pay to cover any discrepancies like that or other unreimbursed expenses. I did not track it carefully but my impression is that I had a bit more than that in expenses that were not reimbursed.

3) Before the move when I was visiting the new area I got PO box at one of the shipping stores near my office. This was so that I would have a mailing address there before my home purchase closed and I used that to change some of my account mailing addresses to. This meant that I would have to do a change of address twice but it was necessary for a few things.

4) Postal mail forwarding is not all that reliable so try not to depend on that too much. I forget how long it lasts for but it is a limited time so there may be things like Christmas cards that come months later that do not get forwarded to you.

5) One mistake that I did was that I was in the new area before the final move and I needed to set up things like utilities that required checks. I had taken a checkbook with me but when I started to use it I realized that there was only one check left in the checkbook. :oops:

6) When we moved we had a kid in middle school so when we were house hunting with basically picked out which high schools would be good for him and then looked for a house within those high schools boundaries. In picking out schools visiting the schools is critical since the "feel" is different and you will not see that in the school statistics. When we visited one well rated high school we saw that it was way overcrowded and had dozens of temporary classrooms(basically mobile homes) that they were using for the overflow.

The school ratings are not really all that useful since a large part of what they measure are the student demographics and not the school itself. We were looking for a house in a huge school district that had something like 15 large high schools that were rated from about 3 to 10. In talking with a school counselor it turned out that all the high schools had basically the same program and the difference in the school ranking was mostly due to the student demographics since the school district covered suburban areas that went from lower middle class to very affluent. The school ranking consistently got better as the area became more affluent.

Sending your kid to a school with lots of low income kids has lots of problems even if it otherwise has a good program, but sending your kid to a school with lots of the "rich kids" also has its own set of problems. When we were visiting one high school in an affluent area there were a noticeable number of Mercedes and BMWs in the student parking lot and even one late model Corvette! Even if you can afford it who in their right mind would give a 17 year old a Corvette? We ended up buying a house in a less affluent area and later on we heard that at the more affluent high school there was a lot more social pressure to keep up with the "rich kids". Be sure to drive through the student parking lot when you are visiting any high schools.

7) It will vary by state but you typically only have around 30 or 60 days to get your driver's license, car registrations, and car insurance changed. You can't just wait until your next renewal.

8) The year I moved I had to file state tax returns in both my old and new state which made it a lot more complex. It is just my impression but it seemed like the way they calculated the taxes for partial year resident tax return tended to be unfavorable to prevent people from "gaming" the system.

9) Even though it is a company paid move be brutal in getting rid of stuff when you move. You will have so much stuff to deal with once you move to the new location that you will be glad that to have less stuff to deal with.

10) Before you move is a good time to make digital copies of your family photos so that you will still have those if the originals get lost in the move. Try to hand carry anything with a lot of sentimental value. I made several trips between the old and new location on planes and I tried to take as many of the semental items as possible in my carry on luggage.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:48 am

JediMisty wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:41 am
This is my plan when I retire in next year or three. Goat??
Yes, a goat. I don't believe he bought a new goat in Dallas.

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:59 am

220k relocation package? We relocate every couple of years all around the country. Even on the company's dime, it's never cost us more than 50k and that is even shipping a couple of collector cars via an expensive private carrier.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:03 am

FlyAF wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:59 am
220k relocation package? We relocate every couple of years all around the country. Even on the company's dime, it's never cost us more than 50k and that is even shipping a couple of collector cars via an expensive private carrier.
Does that include your real estate costs including commission paid to realtor? $700,000 house x 6% = $42,000 right there. Real estate transfer tax, real estate lawyer, title work, ...

Move, temporary housing allowance, meals.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:08 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:03 am
FlyAF wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:59 am
Does that include your real estate costs including commission paid to realtor? $700,000 house x 6% = $42,000 right there. Real estate transfer tax, real estate lawyer, title work, ...

Move, temporary housing allowance, meals.
Obviously every company is different with their packages. With ours, when we sell our houses, we don't pay realtor fees. Clearly the company is coming out of pocket for those and it should be considered. That said, we've bought/sold the better part of a dozen homes all around the country and we've never spent 700k, even in some rather HCOL areas, so the 42k would still be excessive in my experience. If I had to do a back of the envelope calc, I'd say if you rolled everything up into it, our costs would be 100k or less each time. 220k would be like hitting the lottery IMO.

Topic Author
Hillview

Post by Hillview » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:33 am

220k is not a typo it is the package. I don't have the details but the language says "intended that you don't make or lose money in the relocation" I live in a HCOL, have a 4700 sq foot house (including my mom's apartment) and we have 3 cars including her car.

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:50 am

Hillview wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:33 am
220k is not a typo it is the package. I don't have the details but the language says "intended that you don't make or lose money in the relocation" I live in a HCOL, have a 4700 sq foot house (including my mom's apartment) and we have 3 cars including her car.
Well that's awesome. As someone who knows way more than they'd like about relocation packages and moving, you should be able to pocket a considerable chunk of that, assuming you're not selling a 2M house that you need to pay realtor fees on.

indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:19 am

MotoTrojan wrote:

I am also getting ready for a cross-country move but fortunately I am a renter; unfortunately I am not getting paid over a year's salary to do it :).

Any advice for a more boglehead move? Main concern is movers that also enable storage temporarily while finding a place (and staying in a hotel or similar).
I have used Upack without issues. Upack provides you with a trailer and you hire local help at the origin and destination to load and unload your stuff. Upack can put the trailer in storage (for a fee).
My signature has been deleted.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:16 pm

I’ve moved nearly coast to coast 3 times. One time I was limited to $25k and fortunately that was the time I was not selling a house. In that case it covered the moving of house goods, car and closing costs of a new home. I rented out my other home.

My other times they covered selling of the house, whatever it sold for minus my mortgage was what I received. That can really add up. Even a $500k house with commissions and settlement costs can be $40k+.

Even with professional movers I find it stressful. Things get broken or lost, unpacking takes a while, things you need always seem to be in the least likely box. I’d strongly recommend packing a few boxes yourself with essentials and send them out separately. Anything from important documents to whatever cables, remotes, small electronics, etc.

Good luck.

ohai

Post by ohai » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:27 pm

If you have $220k to spend somehow, it seems much easier to make the transition seamless. Rent a big house for 6 months to 1 year, move your family, and move your stuff gradually. Just hire some movers to pack up your stuff. When I moved, I hired a company and just felt awkward standing around while they did all the work. They'll move cars too. So you can just travel in the plane and everything can be there for you. You have two houses that overlap, but if the company pays for rent, it's not a big deal. I don't know if 4700 square foot house is realistic in San Diego though.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:31 pm

ohai wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:27 pm
I don't know if 4700 square foot house is realistic in San Diego though.
There are no shortage of 4700+ sq ft. homes in San Diego (my aunt lives in one, <1 mile from Moonlight Beach), but you're looking at $2M+...but with a $220k relocation bonus, who knows?

Clarice

Post by Clarice » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:43 pm

Hillview wrote:
Thank you!
Lmao 220k and you still have questions how to
make this happen? I did this with no budget in a 94 Ranger through the Continental Divide.

Topic Author
Hillview

Post by Hillview » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:23 pm

Clarice wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:43 pm
Hillview wrote:
Thank you!
make this happen? I did this with no budget in a 94 Ranger through the Continental Divide.
Thanks for your comment. I have never moved cross country with a family before and thought people might have experiences to share.

anonsdca

Post by anonsdca » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:29 pm

Clarice wrote:
Hillview wrote:
Thank you!
This is a troll. There is zero chance that a company would offer that. I moved cross country 2X with company support. It was $6-7K each time. This post is stupid and unbelievable

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:39 pm

Hillview wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:23 pm
Clarice wrote:
Hillview wrote:
Thank you!
Thanks for your comment. I have never moved cross country with a family before and thought people might have experiences to share.
Ignore the noise. Transitions like this can be tough. Every time we relocated for my husband's job there was another unique set of circumstances to deal with. You're wise to seek some outside experience. When we moved from Arizona to Germany I was lucky enough to have found an English speaking website which was a great way to meet my first set of friends. You might explore FaceBook pages for alumni, hobbies or other interests in the San Diego area. Maybe a Bogleheads meet up in San Diego?

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your time in San Diego.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:50 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:31 pm
ohai wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:27 pm
I don't know if 4700 square foot house is realistic in San Diego though.
There are no shortage of 4700+ sq ft. homes in San Diego (my aunt lives in one, <1 mile from Moonlight Beach), but you're looking at $2M+...but with a $220k relocation bonus, who knows?
Made me look!

Plenty of homes in the $1.5M range:
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 83?view=qv

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:12 am

We've done it twice, both times with a 50K budget and we went over each time :) Count realtor fees, storage fees, and temporary housing, and you easily can hit 220K if you're selling an expensive house.

A couple things I would do differently this last move. Instead of selling our house and buying a new one with a corporate apartment to bridge the gap, I would immediately rent a new house in the new location. We bought immediately and we're not thrilled with the area, even though loads of people love it, it just really isn't for us and now we're kind of stuck here for a while.

I would also drive one car. We shipped both of ours this time and it took forever for them to arrive and we had to fly with all of our important papers and jewelry. I think we should have taken the time to drive, make it fun with the kids, and have the ease of our own car with our valuables available immediately.

Finally, be careful not to get caught up in parent guilt about the move. My husband struggled with this issue this move (we have teenagers) and we wound up buying a too-large house with a pool and a ridiculous basement. We can afford it but I would have rather have had a smaller, more manageable home.

Good luck, life is short, have adventures :)

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:19 am

With that budget, I would:

Sell everything in the house. Craigslist, eBay, consignment shops.
Sell all the cars.
Buy a crew cab pickup and a large enclosed aluminum trailer (CargoPro or ATS aluminum V nose). Load the trailer with what you just can't sell. Drive cross country. Rent a house where you can then unload the trailer with what you'll actually use, realize that half the stuff you saved is useless. Drive the useless stuff to consignment/2nd hand shop and offload. Then sell the trailer and truck and buy new cars.

Sure, it's more work. I'd predict it costs you something like $10k total. Not bad pay, even paying taxes on the amount you receive.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:58 am

indexfundfan wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:19 am
MotoTrojan wrote:

I have used Upack without issues. Upack provides you with a trailer and you hire local help at the origin and destination to load and unload your stuff. Upack can put the trailer in storage (for a fee).
We used U-Pack too, but if I had a budget of 220k I'd have someone else pack it, transport it, and unpack it. We priced both options. Coast-to-coast U-Pack was $5,800 for a full 28' semi trailer, United Van Lines was $12,500 to have them pack and unpack, which was about average for the other full service carriers we looked at.

To the OP, I would also consider shipping your vehicles at about $1,000 each. My best friend and I drove my two vehicles back, and between gas and 4 days of 2 hotel rooms and restaurants we should have skipped the long drive and the added milage/wear and tear on each vehicle.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:28 am

Isabelle77 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:12 am
We've done it twice, both times with a 50K budget and we went over each time :) Count realtor fees, storage fees, and temporary housing, and you easily can hit 220K if you're selling an expensive house.
I've done it 3x myself, for a mere fraction of what you spent, but of course it was not for jobs offering $220k relocation assistance. With that budget, OP can basically do whatever they want; that is an eye-popping number, even for this board with (seemingly) half the posters making $.5M+ in tech.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:17 am

I am guessing OP is a senior executive.

Relocation packages at the manager level are more like $20-25k

leeks

Post by leeks » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:22 am

Do you get to keep any unspent balance of the $220K or is that the max they will reimburse of documented expenses?

I would rent a furnished place month-to-month while most of your belongings are in storage. That way you can get to know the area, neighborhoods, commute before you commit to purchasing a new home (assuming you intend to buy). And you don't have to deal with the hassle of unpacking twice.

Topic Author
Hillview

Post by Hillview » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:38 pm

thanks all! The 220k includes tax so it is grossed up. This is the max amount and is not cash in hand. I can't sell everything and buy 220k of stuff for example (they allow me to buy up to 20k of appliances if needed in new house) the language is that I neither make nor lose money in the move. It also included moving my mother (who lives with us in a separate apartment in our home) to a new place (senior living community) as a separate move (we will move her first with her car and then we will move -- since I will be commuting back and forth anyway she will have me there most weeks to help her get settled). I think we will sell some of our furniture (or donate it -- eg the kids bedroom IKEA stuff). We may sell a car (we have a AWD SUV which I don't think we need in San Diego) but again want to make sure we don't go crazy, it is paid for, 5 years old and in great shape.

Isabelle we are in a similar boat my husband is looking at houses a lot bigger than what we have now which is a discussion right now. I am worried about lifestyle creep. I am debating renting (move twice pain in the rear) and buying. I will have about 8 months of commuting when I can check areas out BUT living in a place is different from visiting it.

Thanks again, I know it is a luxury to be in our position and I am very thankful.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:51 pm

With 220k you get to buy your time back. Outsource the move. And keep you existing stuff (unless you truly enjoy the time spent buying new stuff).

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:35 pm

Hillview wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:38 pm
We may sell a car (we have a AWD SUV which I don't think we need in San Diego) but again want to make sure we don't go crazy, it is paid for, 5 years old and in great shape.

Isabelle we are in a similar boat my husband is looking at houses a lot bigger than what we have now which is a discussion right now. I am worried about lifestyle creep. I am debating renting (move twice pain in the rear) and buying. I will have about 8 months of commuting when I can check areas out BUT living in a place is different from visiting it.

Thanks again, I know it is a luxury to be in our position and I am very thankful.
If the company is willing to transport the car, I'd let them. AWD SUVs are common in the area although a really big one will be hard to park in urban areas and gas in Coastal CA is expensive. I'd keep a smaller one like a Subaru but sell something like a Suburban. There are mountains nearby as well as deserts and back roads to explore. If your family skis Big Bear is about a two hour drive (but snow conditions vary wildly from year to year). Mammoth (off of 395) is a popular but more reliable destination.

Ah, yes the lifestyle creep. A new prestigious job for your husband is a big ego boost for him. Make sure You get something out of this move too. If you don't want a bigger house to manage speak up. You need to be happy where you are going to spending most of your time. BTDT!

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:59 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
In Oct 2013 we moved from Cincinnati, Ohio to the Seattle area. The company provided a max of 10k for relocation, I think we hit about 9.5k. I can't even imagine what a 220k move is like.

We rented a townhouse online sight unseen (other than pictures) from a large complex, we could not work with the smaller outfits because they all wanted an in-person visit upfront and we had no budget for a flight out. We got rid of a lot of stuff then packed ourselves and the movers just had to load the truck. We left our house in the hands of our realtor to sell, fortunately she was good and checked in on it during the winter until it sold in Feb 2014. I was terrified the entire time until it sold because our insurance gave us notice they were going to cancel our policy at the end of Feb 2014, we sold just in time.

We shipped one car and drove out in our second car, took a leisurely 4 day road trip. It was an interesting drive, parts of Montana & South Dakota had feet of snow along the road but Idaho and Washington were gorgeous and sunny. Then we went over Snoqualmie Pass and dipped into the sunless marine layer and I immediately regretted my decision to move here. :)
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:14 pm

For those wondering how you could possibly spend 220K on a relocation here's a rough idea of how one could. Remember that under the new tax law, all relocation expenses are taxable and no longer deductible, so my guess is that they've grossed up so the OP doesn't lose money on taxes as well.

The OP said New England, let's guess MA, maybe a 1.5million dollar home? Realtor fees alone are 90K, even if it's a million dollar home, they're 60K. Throw in some closing costs and excise taxes with the realtor fees at a total of 8% of sales prices and you're at 120K with a 1.5mil home or 80K with a million. Packing and moving a large house across the country would be somewhere around 30-40K. Temporary furnished housing for her husband, ours in Boston just ran $6500 a month. Depending on how long he's in temporary housing in San Diego, we just did 2 months but our previous move was 3. Add in any storage fees, I can't remember what they were but they were stupid. 4K for shipping two cars, 1-2K for renting a car for the 2-4 weeks it takes to get your cars delivered, 2K for a house-hunting trip, maybe another 2K to fly everybody out. We shipped our dogs, the relo covered that, another thousand dollars or so. Some companies will even help with closing costs or rental deposits at the new location. Gross up for taxes and you've hit 220K.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:13 pm

Elsebet wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:59 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:
In Oct 2013 we moved from Cincinnati, Ohio to the Seattle area. The company provided a max of 10k for relocation, I think we hit about 9.5k. I can't even imagine what a 220k move is like.

We rented a townhouse online sight unseen (other than pictures) from a large complex, we could not work with the smaller outfits because they all wanted an in-person visit upfront and we had no budget for a flight out. We got rid of a lot of stuff then packed ourselves and the movers just had to load the truck. We left our house in the hands of our realtor to sell, fortunately she was good and checked in on it during the winter until it sold in Feb 2014. I was terrified the entire time until it sold because our insurance gave us notice they were going to cancel our policy at the end of Feb 2014, we sold just in time.

We shipped one car and drove out in our second car, took a leisurely 4 day road trip. It was an interesting drive, parts of Montana & South Dakota had feet of snow along the road but Idaho and Washington were gorgeous and sunny. Then we went over Snoqualmie Pass and dipped into the sunless marine layer and I immediately regretted my decision to move here. :)
What was the breakdown of that 9.5K? Includes mortgage costs or just transport?

retired@50

Post by retired@50 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:18 pm

runner3081 wrote:

+1. Leave all your old furniture (and dust mites) behind. Have fun buying new stuff in CA. Best of luck.

setancre

Post by setancre » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:42 pm

Carefreeap wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:35 pm
Hillview wrote:
We may sell a car (we have a AWD SUV which I don't think we need in San Diego) but again want to make sure we don't go crazy, it is paid for, 5 years old and in great shape.

If the company is willing to transport the car, I'd let them. AWD SUVs are common in the area although a really big one will be hard to park in urban areas and gas in Coastal CA is expensive. I'd keep a smaller one like a Subaru but sell something like a Suburban. There are mountains nearby as well as deserts and back roads to explore. If your family skis Big Bear is about a two hour drive (but snow conditions vary wildly from year to year). Mammoth (off of 395) is a popular but more reliable destination.

Ah, yes the lifestyle creep. A new prestigious job for your husband is a big ego boost for him. Make sure You get something out of this move too. If you don't want a bigger house to manage speak up. You need to be happy where you are going to spending most of your time. BTDT!
I find it interesting that you believe her husband is the one with the relocation package and new job, when I don't see anything that indicates that it is not her own personal job/relocation package in these posts. Maybe I missed something?

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:54 pm

setancre wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:42 pm
Carefreeap wrote:
Hillview wrote:

I find it interesting that you believe her husband is the one with the relocation package and new job, when I don't see anything that indicates that it is not her own personal job/relocation package in these posts. Maybe I missed something?
I assumed the same thing because OP said her husband was looking at big houses and she would be commuting back and forth for a while. You're absolutely right though, could be either spouse.

Topic Author
Hillview

Post by Hillview » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:05 am

the job is for me not my husband :) thanks all for your feedback. Isabelle your break out of spend is spot on what we are looking at. Thanks!

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:01 am

setancre wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:42 pm
Carefreeap wrote:
Hillview wrote:

You've rightly called me out on my bias. Although statistically possible it's still rare for women to get these senior executive deals. During the 5 moves we made for my husband's job, there were only two cases I knew of personally whereby the wife was the primary earner and they relocated for her job. But I'm 58 and I'm hopeful that there will be more of this for the younger generation.

I will repeat that the "trailing spouse" needs to get something out of this deal. While I was supportive of my husband's career progression, it was hard on me. I left my support system and really struggled with a couple of the moves.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:17 am

Personally I couldn't imagine driving across country but I know some people don't mind long road trips. I've never had any issues with shipment of cars. They usually arrived within 2 weeks and usually much sooner. I think this last time it was picked up on a Thursday (east coast) and they were scheduling delivery of it in AZ on Monday.

While I had people pack/move my stuff I've never had anyone unpack my stuff. In some ways that would be nice but in other ways I'm not sure I'd like it. People often have strong preferences how dishes and items are located in the kitchen. But after this last move I have to admit unwrapping items in layers of paper got tedious and fortunately my GF helped greatly. It was amusing at times to unwrap layers of paper to find a single piece of tupperware in it or, in one case, one small key.

Moving is exciting but very stressful. I'm still getting things organized and I moved in June. I guess I was tardy but I just got my car registered and next up will be my license. I try to plan things around my twice monthly Fridays off since most things can't get done on the weekends. Coupled with house repairs, setting up new doctors, dealing with damaged items, etc. it is stressful.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:04 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:13 pm
Elsebet wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:59 pm

What was the breakdown of that 9.5K? Includes mortgage costs or just transport?
It's very fuzzy, but I believe it was about this breakdown:

~6k (transport everything in a small cape cod house, 2 people's possessions - we were very lucky in that we got rid of enough stuff to keep that cost down)
~2k (transport of car from Cincinnati, OH to North Bend, WA)
~1.5k (other costs including hotel stays, gas, mileage, and meals for drive out)

Zero room for mortgage or rental assistance unfortunately.

Now that I know better, I would never EVER take a deal like that again! It was my first relocation and I was starry-eyed to move to the PNW.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca