Question about calling around for car insurance quotes

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Jyb33

Question about calling around for car insurance quotes

Post by Jyb33 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:54 pm

First, to summarize my basic question: Would there be any problem with calling around (ins. companies, that is) for initial
quotes...with no intention of applying at this point.....but then (a few weeks later) calling back some of the companies
that I've narrowed down, and getting a new quote with some added information: "two tickets in the past 3 years" (My
initial call would say "no tickets").

Some background...I did get 2 very minor tickets a few years ago (but less than 3 years ago..
...with "3 years" supposedly being an important time as far as new applications)...and these
have never been noticed by my ins. company ...They DO SHOW UP on my state's DMV record though.

By the way, those are the only tickets in past 20 years...and no accidents/claims.

I'm assuming that if I change companies now, they will charge me higher rates due to these tickets,
but when the 3-years rolls around, they possibly will drop off and my rates will drop ....this may or not be true...but
....IN ANY CASE...this is what I'd like to do....

Is there any problem doing this?

I'd like to start calling around for quotes, and just say "no tickets/accidents", just to get a baseline quote (with all my coverage preferences).

If their price is higher than what I'm currently paying, I will forget them (because I assume
their price will go even higher when I inform them of my tickets...at application time).

After I find some companies with significantly lower prices (and better qualities), I would choose a few for further
consideration, and call them again and disclose my 2 tickets....and get a re-quote.....

One reason I'd use this procedure is to get some idea what I might be paying after my
tickets drop off after 3 years. So I'd be learning that...and also what I'd be paying right now (with tickets).

So.......is there a problem calling back a company a week later for a re-quote as described above? I guess one problem
might be..If they directly asked me the first time if I had any tickets and I said no, that could be a "lie"....but
the purpose was only to get a quote. Obviously I will say "yes" at the time that I'm seriously considering applying
for their insurance.

I thought about just calling each company and asking: "give me a quote for no tickets/accidents,
and then a quote for 2-tickets in the past 3 years....."....but.....hmmmmm...not sure...I doubt that would like this....
or maybe they wouldn't like me if I did it my originally proposed way?? (calling first with 0 tickets,, and then a week later saying
2 tickets...)
Last edited by Jyb33 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResearchMed

Re: strange question about calling around for car insurance quotes

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:04 pm

That sounds a bit squirrely.

Why not "fess up about the tickets to get an accurate quote (and not get labeled as "iffy"?), and THEN ask, Okay, what would it have been *now* without the tickets?"
Or the same "... in 3 years?"

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:10 pm

I think you would be wasting everyone’s time including your own. It sounds like you aren’t far from the 3 year point and your current insurance company has not penalized you for the tickets. So, I would just wait it out. The lowest rates without the tickets may be from completely different companies than the lowest rate with the tickets.

Jack FFR1846

Re: Question about calling around for car insurance quotes

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:15 pm

Doing this results in quotes that are of no value. If I call and say I'm a 40 year old married female with a PhD residing in Sandisfield, MA with a perfect driving record, but in fact, I'm a 20 year old unmarried male living in South Worcester, MA with 2 DUIs, one reckless driving and 2 drag racing violations, how does it help that the quote for the female is $599 a year when in reality, I'll be paying $7900.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Topic Author
Jyb33

Post by Jyb33 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:18 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:15 pm
Doing this results in quotes that are of no value. If I call and say I'm a 40 year old married female with a PhD residing in Sandisfield, MA with a perfect driving record, but in fact, I'm a 20 year old unmarried male living in South Worcester, MA with 2 DUIs, one reckless driving and 2 drag racing violations, how does it help that the quote for the female is $599 a year when in reality, I'll be paying $7900.
It doesn't help in "THAT" case........but that's "slightly" different from what I wrote about. (slightly??...ha ha).

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:36 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:10 pm
I think you would be wasting everyone’s time including your own. It sounds like you aren’t far from the 3 year point and your current insurance company has not penalized you for the tickets. So, I would just wait it out. The lowest rates without the tickets may be from completely different companies than the lowest rate with the tickets.
I like this answer.

Just wait it out. Call when the 3 years has passed.

Why make two rounds of calls (now and later) when one will do?

Who knows - maybe your current insurance company will have the best rates going forward.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

othermike27

Post by othermike27 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:57 am

Asking a bogus question often results in a bogus answer. Don't assume that you would be the first to try a tactic like this. And don't assume that the insurance company you call won't be able to pull up your driving record.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:16 am

othermike27 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:57 am
Asking a bogus question often results in a bogus answer. Don't assume that you would be the first to try a tactic like this. And don't assume that the insurance company you call won't be able to pull up your driving record.
I called an agent to check on prices. He asked if I had any speeding tickets, and I said no. He repeated the question. I still told him no. Then he thought he had me and read the date of the ticket. Well, when he gave me the dob of the ticket holder, it was someone with the same name as me, but obviously not me given the dob issue. Needless to say, I did not do business with folks who do not trust me.

Topic Author
Jyb33

Post by Jyb33 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:19 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:04 pm

Why not "fess up about the tickets to get an accurate quote (and not get labeled as "iffy"?), and THEN ask, Okay, what would it have been *now* without the tickets?"

RM

Sounds like a compliment...I like squirrels! But first... a bit off-topic...I recall some guy on this forum who calls every brand
of truck that he doesn't like (and nothing to with speed) a "dog"....which cracks me up because most people love dogs.....they may be the most loved things on this planet!!

OK...on topic: Yes, ideally I would just ask each for those two sets of quotes: (1) What would I pay if I had no tickets
and (2) what would I pay with 2 minor tickets......and I think I wrote in my OP that I was thinking of doing that, but wasn't
sure that they'd like that (I should have written, I have a feeling they don't provide "hypothetical" quotes)...but I really don't know.

I do think the initial "no tickets" quote would be interesting info. to have...It could be an indicator of what I'd pay when my "3 years is up"
but it's also interesting to compare with what I"m paying right now (since my current ins. co. isn't penalizing me), but that's just to
satisfy my curiosity.

I guess I can ask them ahead of time... "Before I decide to obtain quotes from you, would you be able to give me 2 quotes....
one for no-tickets, and one for my current 2 tickets......" And if they say no....ummmm.......not sure....but I still would like that info.

But one thing is certain: The price of my current ins. at renewal is astronomical (with no tickets).....and noone here would pay
that amount without shopping around right now......So the guys who wrote "just wait until your 3 years is up and then shop around"
are forgetting that.

One last question: When you shop around for quotes, is it the exact date of the tickets that you give (as opposed to....??)....
And, when they give you a quote, is that considered "solid"/"accurate", as long as all the info. matches up on your application (which
it certainly will at the time I apply)......I know nothing about getting quotes. Also, is this "three year rule" pretty standard....i.e., do tickets "drop off" your policy/record...or whatever its called....which SHOULD lead to a rate reduction?

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:23 pm

The dropping off depends on the state. In mine, it's 6 years.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:35 pm

Jyb33 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:19 pm
ResearchMed wrote:

RM

Sounds like a compliment...I like squirrels! But first... a bit off-topic...I recall some guy on this forum who calls every brand
of truck that he doesn't like (and nothing to with speed) a "dog"....which cracks me up because most people love dogs.....they may be the most loved things on this planet!!

OK...on topic: Yes, ideally I would just ask each for those two sets of quotes: (1) What would I pay if I had no tickets
and (2) what would I pay with 2 minor tickets......and I think I wrote in my OP that I was thinking of doing that, but wasn't
sure that they'd like that (I should have written, I have a feeling they don't provide "hypothetical" quotes)...but I really don't know.

I do think the initial "no tickets" quote would be interesting info. to have...It could be an indicator of what I'd pay when my "3 years is up"
but it's also interesting to compare with what I"m paying right now (since my current ins. co. isn't penalizing me), but that's just to
satisfy my curiosity.

I guess I can ask them ahead of time... "Before I decide to obtain quotes from you, would you be able to give me 2 quotes....
one for no-tickets, and one for my current 2 tickets......" And if they say no....ummmm.......not sure....but I still would like that info.

But one thing is certain: The price of my current ins. at renewal is astronomical (with no tickets).....and noone here would pay
that amount without shopping around right now......So the guys who wrote "just wait until your 3 years is up and then shop around"
are forgetting that.

One last question: When you shop around for quotes, is it the exact date of the tickets that you give (as opposed to....??)....
And, when they give you a quote, is that considered "solid"/"accurate", as long as all the info. matches up on your application (which
it certainly will at the time I apply)......I know nothing about getting quotes. Also, is this "three year rule" pretty standard....i.e., do tickets "drop off" your policy/record...or whatever its called....which SHOULD lead to a rate reduction?
Chipmunks are even more cute :wink:

If you do ask for the "now" (which IS what you want!) and then "when the tickets drop off and assuming I have no new ones..." your quote may not be exact. Chances are they'll do a more serious credit check and some other background that they won't do immediately for over the phone. But any changes due to that are likely to show up elsewhere, too, but perhaps to a different degree.

Good luck.
Just be straightforward. You aren't able to hide the current situation, so don't be coy (or chipmunky!).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:02 pm

Jyb33 wrote:

are forgetting that.
I don't think that you mentioned the astronomical price of your current insurance in your prior posts. (And if you did, I missed it).

Given that, I'd consider just calling the companies now to get quotes, based on your current situation. Move to the company with the best mix of price/service/whatever else you value.

If it were me, I wouldn't muddy up the current call process with asking "hypotheticals" about what might happen in the future. For me, asking such questions would just clog things up. But, if you value the information, ask away.

Then, re-bid your insurance next year, and the next year, and the next year. Eventually, the tickets will drop off for all companies.

Best of luck to you.

Topic Author
Jyb33

Post by Jyb33 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:29 pm

Stinky wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:02 pm
Jyb33 wrote:

are forgetting that.
I don't think that you mentioned the astronomical price of your current insurance in your prior posts. (And if you did, I missed it).

Given that, I'd consider just calling the companies now to get quotes, based on your current situation. Move to the company with the best mix of price/service/whatever else you value.

If it were me, I wouldn't muddy up the current call process with asking "hypotheticals" about what might happen in the future. For me, asking such questions would just clog things up. But, if you value the information, ask away.

Then, re-bid your insurance next year, and the next year, and the next year. Eventually, the tickets will drop off for all companies.

Best of luck to you.
Wow...you're right!!! when you say "I do not think you mentioned.....".
I absolutely did write an important response to Kat..'s post last night (his "just wait until 3 years is up...." post).....
and now I went back to look at the thread and my responsei s gone!!.....I'm SURE I hit the "submit" button......so thats wierd....BUT HERE is exactly what I wrote: "I am definitely going to change ins. companies as soon as possible due to a HUGE rate increase, and for a higher quality company".

Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:49 pm

There is a “Hoyle” way to get your info. Call a local insurance broker that handles a broad range of companies. Be totally upfront with your situation and he/she can give advice and sample quotes.

oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:57 pm

.... insurance can go back as far as they wish to determine risk. ...at least for claims. We live in the "country", and have had our share of claims on comp from hitting deer/turkeys, glass breaks from stones, etc. I called around, and one company wouldn't write a policy for us, as we had too many comp claims over the past 7 years. We have stayed with _insert_large_company for over 30 years. Any savings wasn't worth not being able to remind our local agent of that every year at our consultation. YMMV

Greg in West Mitten

Topic Author
Jyb33

Post by Jyb33 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:05 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:35 pm
Jyb33 wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:

RM

satisfy my curiosity.

are forgetting that.

Chipmunks are even more cute :wink:

If you do ask for the "now" (which IS what you want!) and then "when the tickets drop off and assuming I have no new ones..." your quote may not be exact. Chances are they'll do a more serious credit check and some other background that they won't do immediately for over the phone. But any changes due to that are likely to show up elsewhere, too, but perhaps to a different degree.

Good luck.
Just be straightforward. You aren't able to hide the current situation, so don't be coy (or chipmunky!).

RM
Can you clarify? When you say "your quote may not be exact" I assume you mean the "no tickets" quote (??). Of course! I would consider that to be a very very rough indicator of what I might be paying in the future when (if) my tickets drop off. And then I"m not what you're referring to in the rest of your post...(please clarify).
And if I just did what I proposed in my original post, I would consider that initial "no tickets" quote to be only a rough indicator as well.

I do think the only problem with my original idea is "being labeled" as someone who first called and said "no tickets" and then
called a week later and said "tickets".....because that is all their system/records are going to show. They are not going to record
all of the valid reasons that I wrote about here, and what a wonderful honest person I actually am :sharebeer :D ,
regardless of what I
tell them on that second phone call (where I say, OK, I narrowed down my choices of ins. companies, and now I want an actual
accurate quote, where I tell them "tickets"....and where I explain my motivation for calling last week and saying no tickets) .
All of the latter will go in one ear and out....
And maybe they won't like me as much nor consider me their best friend after that.......
(and I know from all the posts I've read in the past year that insurance companies NORMALLY are ALWAYS your best friend, and
how they ALWAYS reward loyalty, etc. etc.....and how adjustors will always come out to visit you bring apple pie, etc. etc.).

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Jyb33 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:05 pm

I do think the only problem with my original idea is "being labeled" as someone who first called and said "no tickets" and then called a week later and said "tickets".....because that is all their system/records are going to show. They are not going to record all of the valid reasons that I wrote about here, and what a wonderful honest person I actually am :sharebeer :D ,

And maybe they won't like me as much nor consider me their best friend after that.......
I think that you’ve pretty well described the situation.

It sounds like you have a plan. Let us know how it turns out.

Best of luck to you.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:24 pm

On some of the insurance companies' web sites, you can enter in your own claim info and change it to see how quotes change (Geico works this way). They will always check your actual driving record before they give you a final quote.

Generally, I see your approach as being a big waste of time because there are other reasons your rate could change in the future, and you might as well just get a new quote then.