After temporarily unfreezing your credit report, how fast did you apply for a card......

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Jyb33

After temporarily unfreezing your credit report, how fast did you apply for a card......

Post by Jyb33 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:45 pm

Has anyone been so eager to apply for a particular credit card that they unfroze some of their credit reports (via automated phone call or
on their website)....and then, WITHIN AN HOUR, tapped the "apply" button on the credit card application website? That's what I
did.......I was too impatient.....bad idea......

I had read on Transunions website that the unfreeze/thaw is usually "instant", but they recommend waiting at least an hour.
I waited about 50 minutes, and after hitting the "apply" (to credit card) button (after filling out all of my personal info.), I got
a reply other than immediate approval.....(I got something like...we need time to evaluate your application....). (By the way,
I unfroze transunion because I had read that this credit card usually uses that bureau). So after getting that message, and
wondering...Could it be a still-frozen-report-problem?....I found a good phone number to call the credit card company (analyst/underwriting).
I asked the above question, and she said...yes...."transunion is frozen" (but she didn't explicitly say that that was the cause of
the "we need more time" message". But it all turned out nicely, because I had also unfrozen experian (right after transunion) just
in case, although I didn't really think that was necessary... but I did it just to see if the thawing works properly.

So, the credit card lady says to me.."but I see experian is not frozen....do you want me to look at that" I say yes....and ....after
a few simple questions she approves me. whew. (she did confirm that they almost always use transunion).

DetroitRick

Re: After temporarily unfreezing your credit report, how fast did you apply for a card......

Post by DetroitRick » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:03 pm

Yes. I just did this on May 11 of this year, a Saturday, with a Synchrony card I applied for. I did the online application, tabbed over to Equifax and unfroze report, and then submitted that application. All in all it took just under 10 minutes for Synchrony to get access to my Equifax file. I only allowed around 5 minutes or so when doing the online application, and got a return message to call Synchrony to complete. It was the freeze at issue, I checked. While I was on phone with rep, the report got unfrozen. Next time I'll give it a few more minutes, but it was no problem. First time I've ever been happy with a credit bureau.

One bureau, one card, so not sure how representative this might be. Now I have to see how the car loan goes sometime next quarter.... I'll probably give it a day between freeze and application just to avoid phone time.

Topic Author
Jyb33

Re: After temporarily unfreezing your credit report, how fast did you apply for a card......

Post by Jyb33 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:31 pm

I am SO GLAD I didn't have to deal with that disgusting company EQUIFAX. I just "know" that they will totally screw up (refuse) to unfreeze
my file....although I haven't tried yet....But based on the horrible experiences I've had with them over years (consistent with everything
written on this forum)....I dread having to try to unfreeze with them....But I did read that some people on this forum had more luck
using the automated phone system than online....

beyou

Post by beyou » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:50 pm

Personally I wont apply to a credit card unless I know ahead of time that the bank DOES NOT USE EQUIFAX. Easy to find the credit bureau for major banks. I only want to unfreeze one bureau, and it is not going to be Equifax. Never ever. I dont want those incompetent people to make a nickel from me.

Pixafari

Post by Pixafari » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:41 am

I did this just yesterday. Unfroze all three agencies and applied for the Fido 2% Visa card. Received immediate approval. The whole process took only a few minutes with no problems. This was the first time I have unfrozen credit reports since freezing over two years ago. I was half expecting a snafu, but all went smoothly.

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:08 am

I try to unfreeze in the morning, them apply for whatever card or credit increase the afternoon. Never had a problem this way.

Topic Author
Jyb33

Post by Jyb33 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:12 am

Pixafari wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:41 am
I did this just yesterday. Unfroze all three agencies and applied for the Fido 2% Visa card. Received immediate approval. The whole process took only a few minutes with no problems. This was the first time I have unfrozen credit reports since freezing over two years ago. I was half expecting a snafu, but all went smoothly.
Well, based on what I wrote, you certainly Might have had a problem if they wanted to pull Transunion, and you didn't wait AT LEAST an hour. But no one knows what credit agency Fido/Elan actually pulled in your case...

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:25 am

I don’t bother unfreezing before applying for a credit card. I make the application and wait for them to tell me which report needs to be thawed. I’ve even had the experience of the credit card rep getting the credit report agency on the phone to get the process going.

I’ve done it this way at least three times in the past five years.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:55 am

GerryL wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:25 am
I don’t bother unfreezing before applying for a credit card. I make the application and wait for them to tell me which report needs to be thawed. I’ve even had the experience of the credit card rep getting the credit report agency on the phone to get the process going.
Similar experience. Applied for card at retail store (big discount on current purchase). They immediately said, "Denied" and gave me the name of the report agency. I went outside, used my phone to unfreeze report (cumbersome, but doable). Went back inside, approved immediately. I forget which bureau.

batpot

Post by batpot » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:23 am

michaelingp wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:55 am
GerryL wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:25 am
Similar experience. Applied for card at retail store (big discount on current purchase). They immediately said, "Denied" and gave me the name of the report agency. I went outside, used my phone to unfreeze report (cumbersome, but doable). Went back inside, approved immediately. I forget which bureau.
Yup. Experian has a great option that lets you grant a credit a one time use pin, so you never even have to unfreeze.

CnC

Post by CnC » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:04 pm

Jyb33 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:45 pm
Has anyone been so eager to apply for a particular credit card that they unfroze some of their credit reports (via automated phone call or
on their website)....and then, WITHIN AN HOUR, tapped the "apply" button on the credit card application website? That's what I
did.......I was too impatient.....bad idea......

I had read on Transunions website that the unfreeze/thaw is usually "instant", but they recommend waiting at least an hour.
I waited about 50 minutes, and after hitting the "apply" (to credit card) button (after filling out all of my personal info.), I got
a reply other than immediate approval.....(I got something like...we need time to evaluate your application....). (By the way,
I unfroze transunion because I had read that this credit card usually uses that bureau). So after getting that message, and
wondering...Could it be a still-frozen-report-problem?....I found a good phone number to call the credit card company (analyst/underwriting).
I asked the above question, and she said...yes...."transunion is frozen" (but she didn't explicitly say that that was the cause of
the "we need more time" message". But it all turned out nicely, because I had also unfrozen experian (right after transunion) just
in case, although I didn't really think that was necessary... but I did it just to see if the thawing works properly.

So, the credit card lady says to me.."but I see experian is not frozen....do you want me to look at that" I say yes....and ....after
a few simple questions she approves me. whew. (she did confirm that they almost always use transunion).

I'm very interested in why someone would be excited at all about applying for a credit card. It's like being excited to buy new socks. It's necessary and useful but certainly nothing to be excited about.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:05 pm

I opened a new account with a credit union today (great CD terms). I had to unfreeze both Experian and Chexsystems. I set up a one day lift for both and about 15-30 minutes later I applied for the account. It went through just fine.

Could have waited a few hours, but wanted to get the ball rolling so I could arrange a wire transfer of funds as quickly as possible (as CD deals don't tend to last all that long).
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

Topic Author
Jyb33

Post by Jyb33 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:15 pm

[/quote]
I'm very interested in why someone would be excited at all about applying for a credit card. It's like being excited to buy new socks. It's necessary and useful but certainly nothing to be excited about.
[/quote]

Hmmm...good question...I'll have to think about. Maybe....$500 signup bonuses?......4% discount on various purchases.....hmmmm.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:23 pm

I've done a new credit card, new Brokerage account, and new phone plan recently with frozen credit. I didn't wait at all after temporarily unfreezing my credit to apply and they all worked. Or maybe I waited 5 minutes to get buttons clicked.

For the phone, I didn't know they pulled credit since I already had a different phone plan with the same company. It got rejected, I called them, then they said to unfreeze credit. While on the phone I unfroze the place they wanted, then told them to try right away and it went through.

Jon H

Post by Jon H » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:58 pm

I unfreeze after the application gets bounced. That way I only have to unfreeze the one(s) that are being utilized. I have done this 3x thus far this year and no issues with the CC issuers.
Consider gain and loss, but never be greedy and everything will be alright (fortune cookie)