Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
invstar
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by invstar » Sat May 23, 2020 9:59 am

Update:

I have received my bonus of $1000 last week. They deposited the bonus on the 93rd day of account opening and exactly 90th day from the day I deposited 75k. Chase never lets you down when respecting account opening bonuses. Thanks everyone for sharing their experiences before.

protagonist
Posts: 6468
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by protagonist » Sat May 23, 2020 12:27 pm

deleted

protagonist
Posts: 6468
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by protagonist » Sat May 23, 2020 12:28 pm

invstar wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:59 am
Update:

Chase never lets you down when respecting account opening bonuses.
They let me down. I forget what the precedent was, as it was a few years ago, but I was pretty sure I met all the requirements yet they found a reason to deny me my bonus, and even after hearing their argument I thought they were wrong. I have not applied for Chase bonuses since.

invstar
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by invstar » Sat May 23, 2020 6:22 pm

protagonist wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:28 pm
invstar wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:59 am
Update:

Chase never lets you down when respecting account opening bonuses.
They let me down. I forget what the precedent was, as it was a few years ago, but I was pretty sure I met all the requirements yet they found a reason to deny me my bonus, and even after hearing their argument I thought they were wrong. I have not applied for Chase bonuses since.
Sorry about it. I thought they are good because I got my bonus 3 times without any issue (for cc/regular checking/sapphire account. Guess I was lucky.. I had bad experiences with other banks though..

krafty81
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:01 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by krafty81 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:02 pm

I did this and eventually got my 1K but it was a total mess, mostly due to the incompetent staff at my local Chase branch. Took THREE MONTHS to do the transfer to Chase from Schwab. Then they tried to say that I did not meet their requirements because the money took so long to transfer, which was all their fault. It ook action with their front office and a BBB complaint to get my 1K. Those funds are now back safely with Schwab. I will never do business with Chase again.

protagonist
Posts: 6468
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by protagonist » Sun May 24, 2020 10:28 am

invstar wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:22 pm
protagonist wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:28 pm
invstar wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:59 am
Update:

Chase never lets you down when respecting account opening bonuses.
They let me down. I forget what the precedent was, as it was a few years ago, but I was pretty sure I met all the requirements yet they found a reason to deny me my bonus (not the $1000 one), and even after hearing their argument I thought they were wrong. I have not applied for Chase bonuses since.
Sorry about it. I thought they are good because I got my bonus 3 times without any issue (for cc/regular checking/sapphire account. Guess I was lucky.. I had bad experiences with other banks though..

Seasonal
Posts: 1665
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by Seasonal » Fri May 29, 2020 1:29 pm

I satisfied the terms of the offer yesterday, which was 90 days after I transferred over $75,000 in securities to a linked You Invest account. No bonus. I sent a secure message and got a reply that I hadn't deposited the requisite $75,000. I wrote back pointing out that I had (which I had also described in the original message). No response yet. I also called in and, after working through the Chase phone system, spoke to a rep who confirmed I satisfied the terms and would get the $1,000 within 10 business days.

Is there anything I else I should do? Often when I'm told to wait in cases like this nothing happens and resolution is just delayed.

student
Posts: 4893
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by student » Fri May 29, 2020 1:57 pm

Seasonal wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:29 pm
I satisfied the terms of the offer yesterday, which was 90 days after I transferred over $75,000 in securities to a linked You Invest account. No bonus. I sent a secure message and got a reply that I hadn't deposited the requisite $75,000. I wrote back pointing out that I had (which I had also described in the original message). No response yet. I also called in and, after working through the Chase phone system, spoke to a rep who confirmed I satisfied the terms and would get the $1,000 within 10 business days.

Is there anything I else I should do? Often when I'm told to wait in cases like this nothing happens and resolution is just delayed.
If it doesn't work, you may want to contact your local branch that opened your account. I had an issue and the "bank manager" fixed it. (It took a few extra days.)

Seasonal
Posts: 1665
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by Seasonal » Fri May 29, 2020 2:46 pm

student wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:57 pm
Seasonal wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:29 pm
I satisfied the terms of the offer yesterday, which was 90 days after I transferred over $75,000 in securities to a linked You Invest account. No bonus. I sent a secure message and got a reply that I hadn't deposited the requisite $75,000. I wrote back pointing out that I had (which I had also described in the original message). No response yet. I also called in and, after working through the Chase phone system, spoke to a rep who confirmed I satisfied the terms and would get the $1,000 within 10 business days.

Is there anything I else I should do? Often when I'm told to wait in cases like this nothing happens and resolution is just delayed.
If it doesn't work, you may want to contact your local branch that opened your account. I had an issue and the "bank manager" fixed it. (It took a few extra days.)
I opened the account online and don't have a relationship with any local branch.

They never charged me the $25 monthly fee, which I took to be a sign that the system recognized that there was enough money in the linked You Invest account. The standard for that and for the bonus should be the same, shouldn't it?

The terms of the offer include "After you have completed all the above requirements, we’ll deposit the bonus in your new account within 10 business days", so I'm guessing no one will do anything before then.

student
Posts: 4893
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by student » Sat May 30, 2020 7:11 am

Seasonal wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:46 pm
student wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:57 pm
Seasonal wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:29 pm
I satisfied the terms of the offer yesterday, which was 90 days after I transferred over $75,000 in securities to a linked You Invest account. No bonus. I sent a secure message and got a reply that I hadn't deposited the requisite $75,000. I wrote back pointing out that I had (which I had also described in the original message). No response yet. I also called in and, after working through the Chase phone system, spoke to a rep who confirmed I satisfied the terms and would get the $1,000 within 10 business days.

Is there anything I else I should do? Often when I'm told to wait in cases like this nothing happens and resolution is just delayed.
If it doesn't work, you may want to contact your local branch that opened your account. I had an issue and the "bank manager" fixed it. (It took a few extra days.)
I opened the account online and don't have a relationship with any local branch.

They never charged me the $25 monthly fee, which I took to be a sign that the system recognized that there was enough money in the linked You Invest account. The standard for that and for the bonus should be the same, shouldn't it?

The terms of the offer include "After you have completed all the above requirements, we’ll deposit the bonus in your new account within 10 business days", so I'm guessing no one will do anything before then.
What a bank manager can do is to check rather you have met the requirement, and if there is a mistake, he/she can contact the appropriate person. I guess this is what the customer service representative has done for you already. The advantage of a branch manager is that there is one contact person. I tried to resolve my issue over the phone over two days and got bounced around and disconnected, so I went to the branch. I agree that it is a good sign that they did not charge you the monthly fee as it probably means that the link is set up correctly. (The first two months are suppose to be free away.)

Seasonal
Posts: 1665
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by Seasonal » Sat May 30, 2020 7:46 am

student wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:11 am
What a bank manager can do is to check rather you have met the requirement, and if there is a mistake, he/she can contact the appropriate person. I guess this is what the customer service representative has done for you already. The advantage of a branch manager is that there is one contact person. I tried to resolve my issue over the phone over two days and got bounced around and disconnected, so I went to the branch. I agree that it is a good sign that they did not charge you the monthly fee as it probably means that the link is set up correctly. (The first two months are suppose to be free away.)
FWIW, I got another response from secure message (after the phone call) insisting that the requirement is that funds are deposited into the Sapphire Checking account, even though the promo specified securities can be deposited into a You Invest account. If I get another such response from secure messages I may try a phone supervisor just to make sure.

The current Chase phone system does its best to convince you not to talk to a rep, but the rep answered quickly after I navigated the phone system.

student
Posts: 4893
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by student » Sat May 30, 2020 9:54 am

Seasonal wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:46 am
student wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:11 am
What a bank manager can do is to check rather you have met the requirement, and if there is a mistake, he/she can contact the appropriate person. I guess this is what the customer service representative has done for you already. The advantage of a branch manager is that there is one contact person. I tried to resolve my issue over the phone over two days and got bounced around and disconnected, so I went to the branch. I agree that it is a good sign that they did not charge you the monthly fee as it probably means that the link is set up correctly. (The first two months are suppose to be free away.)
FWIW, I got another response from secure message (after the phone call) insisting that the requirement is that funds are deposited into the Sapphire Checking account, even though the promo specified securities can be deposited into a You Invest account. If I get another such response from secure messages I may try a phone supervisor just to make sure.

The current Chase phone system does its best to convince you not to talk to a rep, but the rep answered quickly after I navigated the phone system.
I agree that you do not have to deposit the money into the checking account. I first deposited a trial amount to You Invest and got an automatic email stating that I had started the process, it was the transfer of securities that was not handled properly.

downtownrb
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:13 pm

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by downtownrb » Sat May 30, 2020 12:15 pm

Seasonal wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:29 pm
I satisfied the terms of the offer yesterday, which was 90 days after I transferred over $75,000 in securities to a linked You Invest account. No bonus. I sent a secure message and got a reply that I hadn't deposited the requisite $75,000. I wrote back pointing out that I had (which I had also described in the original message). No response yet. I also called in and, after working through the Chase phone system, spoke to a rep who confirmed I satisfied the terms and would get the $1,000 within 10 business days.

Is there anything I else I should do? Often when I'm told to wait in cases like this nothing happens and resolution is just delayed.
Chase only posts bonuses on Tuesday. If you met the 90 days, then the bonus should post on Tuesday, June 2nd.

Seasonal
Posts: 1665
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by Seasonal » Sun May 31, 2020 9:31 am

downtownrb wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:15 pm
Seasonal wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:29 pm
I satisfied the terms of the offer yesterday, which was 90 days after I transferred over $75,000 in securities to a linked You Invest account. No bonus. I sent a secure message and got a reply that I hadn't deposited the requisite $75,000. I wrote back pointing out that I had (which I had also described in the original message). No response yet. I also called in and, after working through the Chase phone system, spoke to a rep who confirmed I satisfied the terms and would get the $1,000 within 10 business days.

Is there anything I else I should do? Often when I'm told to wait in cases like this nothing happens and resolution is just delayed.
Chase only posts bonuses on Tuesday. If you met the 90 days, then the bonus should post on Tuesday, June 2nd.
That would explain why it hasn't posted yet. :D

It would be nice is the secure messaging people didn't send me incorrect responses.

Nummerkins
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by Nummerkins » Sun May 31, 2020 9:36 am

Just got my second $1000 of the year from Chase. It does NOT pay to be an ongoing Chase customer.

I had no issues -- transferred money in and then moved to Vanguard Money Market Fund in YouInvest. Bonus posted like clockwork.

Seasonal
Posts: 1665
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by Seasonal » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:16 am

downtownrb wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:15 pm
Seasonal wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:29 pm
I satisfied the terms of the offer yesterday, which was 90 days after I transferred over $75,000 in securities to a linked You Invest account. No bonus. I sent a secure message and got a reply that I hadn't deposited the requisite $75,000. I wrote back pointing out that I had (which I had also described in the original message). No response yet. I also called in and, after working through the Chase phone system, spoke to a rep who confirmed I satisfied the terms and would get the $1,000 within 10 business days.

Is there anything I else I should do? Often when I'm told to wait in cases like this nothing happens and resolution is just delayed.
Chase only posts bonuses on Tuesday. If you met the 90 days, then the bonus should post on Tuesday, June 2nd.
It has not posted as of 6:07am today, Tuesday, June 2nd. Time was the time listed on the Sapphire Checking account according to the mobile app (the web site is having issues).

Edit: It just posted. Yay!

downtownrb
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:13 pm

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by downtownrb » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:37 am

Seasonal wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:16 am

It has not posted as of 6:07am today, Tuesday, June 2nd. Time was the time listed on the Sapphire Checking account according to the mobile app (the web site is having issues).

Edit: It just posted. Yay!
Great! Mine posted as well.

02nz
Posts: 4922
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by 02nz » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:52 am

Seasonal wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:31 am
downtownrb wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:15 pm
Seasonal wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:29 pm
I satisfied the terms of the offer yesterday, which was 90 days after I transferred over $75,000 in securities to a linked You Invest account. No bonus. I sent a secure message and got a reply that I hadn't deposited the requisite $75,000. I wrote back pointing out that I had (which I had also described in the original message). No response yet. I also called in and, after working through the Chase phone system, spoke to a rep who confirmed I satisfied the terms and would get the $1,000 within 10 business days.

Is there anything I else I should do? Often when I'm told to wait in cases like this nothing happens and resolution is just delayed.
Chase only posts bonuses on Tuesday. If you met the 90 days, then the bonus should post on Tuesday, June 2nd.
That would explain why it hasn't posted yet. :D

It would be nice is the secure messaging people didn't send me incorrect responses.
You could've also just read the terms of the offer, which clearly state "After all requirements are met, you’ll receive the bonus deposited into your your Chase Sapphire card within 10 business days." That means 90 days + 10 business days, so expecting the bonus the day after requirements were met was unrealistic. I've done tons of these bank bonuses, and it always takes at least several (sometimes a month or more) before they post, Chase is actually among the fastest.

Seasonal
Posts: 1665
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by Seasonal » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:11 pm

02nz wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:52 am
Seasonal wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:31 am
downtownrb wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:15 pm
Seasonal wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:29 pm
I satisfied the terms of the offer yesterday, which was 90 days after I transferred over $75,000 in securities to a linked You Invest account. No bonus. I sent a secure message and got a reply that I hadn't deposited the requisite $75,000. I wrote back pointing out that I had (which I had also described in the original message). No response yet. I also called in and, after working through the Chase phone system, spoke to a rep who confirmed I satisfied the terms and would get the $1,000 within 10 business days.

Is there anything I else I should do? Often when I'm told to wait in cases like this nothing happens and resolution is just delayed.
Chase only posts bonuses on Tuesday. If you met the 90 days, then the bonus should post on Tuesday, June 2nd.
That would explain why it hasn't posted yet. :D

It would be nice is the secure messaging people didn't send me incorrect responses.
You could've also just read the terms of the offer, which clearly state "After all requirements are met, you’ll receive the bonus deposited into your your Chase Sapphire card within 10 business days." That means 90 days + 10 business days, so expecting the bonus the day after requirements were met was unrealistic. I've done tons of these bank bonuses, and it always takes at least several (sometimes a month or more) before they post, Chase is actually among the fastest.
See viewtopic.php?p=5282258#p5282258 where I quote the 10 business day language.

Multiple responses by secure message that I was not entitled to the bonus were a cause of concern, but as noted, I've now received the bonus.

The response by downtownrb that Chase pays bonuses on Tuesdays was most helpful and proved accurate. Apparently, they pay on the Tuesday after the terms are satisfied, unless they were satisfied on a Sunday or Monday, in which case they pay on the following Tuesday.

krafty81
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:01 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by krafty81 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:33 pm

Too lazy to research - what is the time limit to do it again after you have done it once?

tj
Posts: 2972
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Chase Sapphire checking 1000$ offer

Post by tj » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:36 pm

krafty81 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:33 pm
Too lazy to research - what is the time limit to do it again after you have done it once?
It's no longer offered - so never. Unless they offer it again.

Post Reply