Background search for nanny

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
stockrex

Background search for nanny

Post by stockrex » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:34 pm

Good Afternoon,

My mother has some mobility issues and I have to travel for work or be out sometimes, I want to hire someone on a part time basis to help out grandma.

Problem is during school year I am not able to hire the high school kids I know in the neighborhood.

How do I go about doing a background search?
Paid is fine.

Mr. Rumples

Re: Background search for nanny

Post by Mr. Rumples » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:45 pm

In my state, this is what I would do. Each state has something similar depending on their privacy laws and how the governmental entities are set up.

Contact state police, fill out the forms and release from the individual and let them run a conviction report.

Contact state police, fill out the forms and release and get fingerprints and let them run a conviction report and arrest record report. The latter can be interesting; I did it on one of my employees and got a hit on an arrest. I went to the courthouse and saw the case was dismissed, but the police report showed that she got into a brawl over a man. Didn't affect her employment with me, but might that affect your view of a candidate?

Check the online court system to see if the individual has been a plaintiff or defendant in any court cases.

Run a credit report.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:12 pm

I would start with Google and checking their social media. There may be red flags you find before you need to run the paid background search. A nanny that we almost hired had a felony that we found out about through Google. We were pretty shocked.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:31 pm

OP, you might get better responses with more info.

You are the grandchild, making these arrangements for your grandmother?

What's her approximate age and physical condition? What assistance does she need, how often, and is this long term (years), or to get over some short term hump?

How important is cost to you? There are, I think, services that address this kind of thing, but they may be significantly more costly than hiring someone directly.

You are in this same area as your grandmother? Urban/suburban/rural?

JBeck

Post by JBeck » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:33 pm

Go thru a company that does it for you

Topic Author
stockrex

Post by stockrex » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:46 pm

I am her son, she is 70
I just need someone to stay with her during the day and help her with little stuff like lifting a whole gallon of milk, take the trash out etc.

I usually pay the market rate.

I will swing by the police department and ask for a background search, i think it is $25.

Are there any online places that are reputable?

Topic Author
stockrex

Post by stockrex » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:46 pm

Company charges way more, hence I was trying to find some myself.