New job and dislike it ... go back to old employer?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
searle7

New job and dislike it ... go back to old employer?

Post by searle7 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:51 am

Hello all!
I'm in need of some advice! I'm about a month in to my new job and I'm not liking it. Before I left my old job, the company tried to get me to stay and said I could have my old job back if I decided to. Even last week the CEO called and said that their offer is still on the table.

Stats about me
Married with 2 kids and one on the way.
Wife is SAHM

Previous job I was a project/process engineer for a food manufacturing company. I had been there for 4 years and liked the job initially. However the company went through a management overhaul with a new ceo and with it came some changes. I was promised a promotion with a large salary increase. However they fired my boss and I didnt get the said promotion. Though I did get a 15% raise because i took on my old bosses responsibilities. This experience rubbed me wrong and the company culture had turned toxic due to the management style("tyrant") of the new ceo. For this reason. I started to look for a new job.
Old job: 78,000 salary with 3% 401k match

My new job is for a government contractor. New salary is $110,000 with 9% 401k.
I now work 4x 10's but the commute is 1 hour due to the remote location. I also have to wake up at 4:30 am to catch a 5am bus ride. So I leave at 5 am and get home at 6:15. 13 hour days. The job is a lot slower and boring to say the least. I miss the flexibility of my old job. The old employer has come back with a counter of 105,000 with an annual bonus of $10,000 (performance based).

I'm at a loss as to what to do as this grass isn't greener at this new job. I should note that the government contractor is one of the largest employers in the area (5,000) while the food company is a privately owned with 500 people. I am one of two engineers at my old company.

Any insight or experience with going back to an old employer?
Last edited by searle7 on Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carolinaman

Re: New job and dislike it ... go back to old employer?

Post by carolinaman » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:04 am

Normally I would say give the new job longer and that may still be good advice. However, if you believe you have a good read on both jobs now, going back to your previous company may be good advice. They have made a good offer and if you like the work and people you work with that may be the best choice.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:17 am

I have never done this - or even been in a situation where I would have even considered it.

However, at one MegaCorp where I worked, I knew several folks there who came back to this MegaCorp not long after leaving - because the new employer/job was not working out - right from the beginning.

One (of many) reason to not burn your bridges with employer.

campy2010

Post by campy2010 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:31 am

Find a different job closer to home. Going back to work for a tyrant sounds terrible. Commuting for an hour 4 days/week that is boring and doesn't interest you also sounds terrible. I would stay at job #2 while looking for something better.

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:32 am

I would go meet with the CEO of former company. I think you need to make sure you are OK stepping back into the same situation. I would want to know if things are same (toxic culture, tyrant) or have then gotten better ? worse?

Find out what would be expected of you when you return (increase pay= increase responsibilities). If they have approached you, then I would take the time to discuss changes to make your department better, company better etc.

seems like a potential positive move for you to "go back".

f you go back, I would be upfront and honest. If the job was different than you expected -- tell them. Leave in the best way possible by being as accommodating as you can. Life happens and at the end of the day, you have to do what is best for you and your family.
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

orhkaf

Post by orhkaf » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:36 am

To be honest both jobs sound terrible. I don't think going back to your previous employer will make you much happier. Search for a new job closer to home. In the mean time enjoy your 3 days off and the bigger pay checks.

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:51 am

I have no experience going back to an old employer. Just two thoughts:

(1) Boredom is better than working for a “tyrant.”
(2) Leaving your new position will burn a bridge at the largest local employer. Think carefully about losing the organization (rather than the job per se).

The salaries are basically identical and shouldn’t weigh in this decision.

usagi

Post by usagi » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:52 am

Really? Over 100K, only a 4 day, 40 hour work week and you only have a 1 hour commute each way? Are you serious? With a commute that is only a 48 hour week and you still have 3 day weekends. Unreal.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:57 am

orhkaf wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:36 am
To be honest both jobs sound terrible. I don't think going back to your previous employer will make you much happier. Search for a new job closer to home. In the mean time enjoy your 3 days off and the bigger pay checks.
+1.

You left the old job for a reason (toxic culture/tyrant) besides compensation and title. Going back for higher compensation isn’t going to solve your issues.

Do you rent? Is it an option to move closer to your new job to see if a short commute and more time helps?

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:59 am

I've known at least 3 co-workers that quit for another job and came back. Everyone enjoyed working with them and were glad they came back. I assume your old job has a shorter commute. That would be good enough reason to go back since salary is similar.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:09 pm

mmmodem wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:59 am
I've known at least 3 co-workers that quit for another job and came back. Everyone enjoyed working with them and were glad they came back. I assume your old job has a shorter commute. That would be good enough reason to go back since salary is similar.
I have 2 employees myself who left to a competitor and came back, I probably know ~15 people around the office who did the same thing including one person who has done it twice. A niche industry and my company is very well known for having the best work environment. No hard feelings, they now realize how good they had/have it.

prudent

Post by prudent » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:31 pm

The idea of going back to a previous employer is fine. Where I worked, it was not unusual at all for someone to leave and come back later.

But if you left due to a toxic environment and that hasn't changed, I don't know why you would go back. It was bad enough to make you leave once already. The money won't solve that problem.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:32 pm

I would have put a red X on the new job with the commute/commute times. Life is too short.

When you took the new job was a move closer to the job if it "worked out" in the cards?

I don't think you have given the new job enough time (business is cyclical) but, the commute and getting up at 4:30 won't go away. That would kill me after a while.

Good luck with your decision.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

Topic Author
searle7

Post by searle7 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:33 pm

soccerrules wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:32 am
I would go meet with the CEO of former company. I think you need to make sure you are OK stepping back into the same situation. I would want to know if things are same (toxic culture, tyrant) or have then gotten better ? worse?

Find out what would be expected of you when you return (increase pay= increase responsibilities). If they have approached you, then I would take the time to discuss changes to make your department better, company better etc.

seems like a potential positive move for you to "go back".

f you go back, I would be upfront and honest. If the job was different than you expected -- tell them. Leave in the best way possible by being as accommodating as you can. Life happens and at the end of the day, you have to do what is best for you and your family.
I would meet with my old boss first to see how things are going. Things were a better when I had left (I had given a 5 week notice, long story) but I didnt want to reneg on this new job that I had accepted. Our old company had been losing lots of money and the new ceo has stepped in and basically cleaned house to get the company back to profitability. He is a smart guy but can sometimes be an a**.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:37 pm

In what sense is the CEO a tyrant? Is that different now? Did it ever really matter?

Topic Author
searle7

Post by searle7 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:38 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:32 pm
I would have put a red X on the new job with the commute/commute times. Life is too short.

When you took the new job was a move closer to the job if it "worked out" in the cards?

I don't think you have given the new job enough time (business is cyclical) but, the commute and getting up at 4:30 won't go away. That would kill me after a while.

I can't move closer as it's in the desert 40 miles outside of town. There is not a single house within 40 minutes. It's a nuclear facility.

It's probably the commute and the early mornings that I hate the most. I get this anxiety feeling Sunday night knowing I have a freaking early morning... and I don't get home till 6:15.

Topic Author
searle7

Post by searle7 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:45 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:37 pm
In what sense is the CEO a tyrant? Is that different now? Did it ever really matter?
He is arrogant and likes things done his way. Had to have permission slips to speak with directors outside our "wheel house". Confronts people about their mistakes in public, salaried have to clock in, clock out now, and etc.

He has fired many people in the last 6 months so I was nervous for my job but he has told me he thinks I have a great future with the company. He making allot of promises but unsure if he can come through with them.

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:52 pm

searle7 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:38 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:32 pm

I can't move closer as it's in the desert 40 miles outside of town. There is not a single house within 40 minutes. It's a nuclear facility.

It's probably the commute and the early mornings that I hate the most. I get this anxiety feeling Sunday night knowing I have a freaking early morning... and I don't get home till 6:15.
Searl-- I would go back to the old job if these are your only 2 options. I agree the early hours and the commute would wear on me pretty quick and it appears you are already there. It is unlikely that will get better. If I had 1 year until retirement, i might consider things differently.
Have you considered relocating to a larger metro area that might have more opportunities in your field ?
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

Topic Author
searle7

Post by searle7 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:58 pm

usagi wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:52 am
Really? Over 100K, only a 4 day, 40 hour work week and you only have a 1 hour commute each way? Are you serious? With a commute that is only a 48 hour week and you still have 3 day weekends. Unreal.
I know it sounds like a sweet gig, but its early 4:30 am, and actually 1 hour 15 minutes commute each way. With lunch and everything it's a 13 hour day (home at 6:15) I don't know about you but that is LONG! Especially in the middle of the desert. There is literally no gas station, restaurant in a 30 mile radius.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:06 pm

I like the idea of going back to the old employer with the new offer. Nice to get a raise from your old salary at the old job.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:06 pm

There was a reason why you left the previous employer in the first place... and you've only been at the new employer for a month. Has the "tyrant" left? Has the culture changed?

Personally, I would develop a game plan to improve your situation at your current employer to improve your job satisfaction.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:15 pm

Consider:
Stay at new job while looking for another (not old job).
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:53 pm

I'm with the ones saying to look for new job. Look for a job in a bigger city. Your wife is SaH so no issues with her employer.

Or give the new job a chance. You'll adjust to getting up early. You get a three day weekend every week :shock: many jobs require 13 total hour days 5 or 6 days a week.

Life is too short to work for a tyrant or a job you hate.
We plan. G-d laughs.

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:20 pm

Stay away from the tyrant. He sounds like an abusive spouse who has rejected all counseling but is promising he's reformed.

Your home is 40 miles from work and you take a bus in the desert that takes one hour. Is driving yourself an option? Sounds like a thirty-five minute drive to me. If you can drive it, make sure you have a really comfortable vehicle with an excellent sound system, and top-notch advanced safety features and make the commute pleasurable and short and less stressful (no more parking and running for the bus in the morning or dropping what you're doing or hanging around to catch the bus in the evening). Or get audiobooks and make the bus ride a time for yourself that is pleasurable.

If work is boring and you are project-oriented, make up an interesting project for yourself and sell it to mgmt. A study aimed at optimizing efficiency and/or safety would be interesting, of value, and would involve evaluation of other facilities and new technologies that would keep your skills up-to-date and hopefully stimulate your mind. Get a certification in continual improvement and make your time well-spent and your intellectual capital continue on the rise.

My suggestions, good luck and best wishes.

FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:45 pm

searle7 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:45 pm
whodidntante wrote:
He is arrogant and likes things done his way. Had to have permission slips to speak with directors outside our "wheel house". Confronts people about their mistakes in public, salaried have to clock in, clock out now, and etc.

He has fired many people in the last 6 months so I was nervous for my job but he has told me he thinks I have a great future with the company. He making allot of promises but unsure if he can come through with them.
Yeah zero chance I would go back to that type of "leader".

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:00 pm

I agree with others. Do not go bad, instead, trying finding another company.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

JBeck

Post by JBeck » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:10 pm

I would never leave a job making over 100K, 40 hours, and only 4 days per week.

maroon

Post by maroon » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:38 pm

During the bus ride, why not listen to podcasts, or sleep, or read a book, or whatever. I'd love to get paid > $100K/year for a non-stressful job with a 4-day work week. Sign me up!

Don't go back to a toxic work environment, look for another job instead. (Or learn to appreciate the boring, slow job you have that's paying you over $100K/year.)

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:07 pm

searle7 wrote:
whodidntante wrote:

Hes only saying this because hes in a bind. If you come crawling back he'll definitely have the upper hand if other employment opportunities are limited I would stick with the new job while continuing to look elsewhere.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:41 pm

Don't go back to that awful previous job. Stay with your new employer and try to improve the commute - why are you taking a bus? Can you find some way to relax during your lunch hour? Look for a different job.

I really think going back to the previous job would be a big mistake. I have worked for a company more than once, but it was because I liked the new opportunity.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:51 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:41 pm
Don't go back to that awful previous job. Stay with your new employer and try to improve the commute - why are you taking a bus? Can you find some way to relax during your lunch hour? Look for a different job.

I really think going back to the previous job would be a big mistake. I have worked for a company more than once, but it was because I liked the new opportunity.
My son works in the same general area, so to answer the question as to the bus, the company runs its own bus line so to speak... this isn't really public transportation. Driving does save some time (cuts my son's commute time by about 1/2 hour due to not having to stop and pick people up when he drives). But it's a mind numbing drive and one puts a lot of wear and tear on your vehicle vs the bus pass which costs $90ish/month.

Ideally the OP will eventually find some co-workers he can carpool with.

beyou

Post by beyou » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:59 pm

I can sleep while in transit. To me having a 3 day weekend sounds great. How do you make a bus 30 mins after waking up, they pick you up at your front door ?

If you can’t handle the commute, the quality of life outside work (health and family) is more important than work environment.

Finally, how stable is the plant ? Some are closing around the country. Would they need your for a shutdown project if so ?

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:08 pm

searle7 wrote:
whodidntante wrote:

WOW. The permission slip thing is a HUGE red flag for me. There is no way you can run a healthy organization with communication cut off like that.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:51 pm

searle7 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:58 pm
I know it sounds like a sweet gig, but its early 4:30 am, and actually 1 hour 15 minutes commute each way. With lunch and everything it's a 13 hour day (home at 6:15) I don't know about you but that is LONG! Especially in the middle of the desert. There is literally no gas station, restaurant in a 30 mile radius.
Get 4 or 5 per week hours of your time back by driving yourself. 40 miles of empty highway isn't too bad of a commute. 20 miles of stop and go is a nightmare though. Splurge on a Tesla with the "autopilot" features.

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:13 pm

searle7 wrote:
whodidntante wrote:

And initially you told us:
searle7 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:51 am
I was promised a promotion with a large salary increase. However they fired my boss and I didnt get the said promotion. Though I did get a 15% raise because i took on my old bosses responsibilities. This experience rubbed me wrong and the company culture had turned toxic due to the management style("tyrant") of the new ceo. For this reason. I started to look for a new job.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....

I'd say don't return. A previous promise was not fulfilled, the CEO is a "tyrant", the company culture is "toxic" and the CEO has fired many people over the past six months. You've only been gone a month, perhaps the CEO needs you back to "hold the fort down" while he looks for your replacement.

Many folks would be grateful for the opportunity for a significant bump in salary and a four day/forty hour work week. An hour plus on transit where you don't have to focus on driving and can read, listen to an audio book or do something else to pass the time beats an hour plus in stop and go traffic any day. If you can save thirty minutes of that commute by driving yourself on a non-congested highway, you may want to consider that, at least for a day or two each week...

You may want to give the new job more time and explore whether there are other opportunities within your role there that might increase your satisfaction/fulfillment. Good luck with whatever you decide!

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:32 pm

galawdawg wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:13 pm

Many folks would be grateful for the opportunity for a significant bump in salary and a four day/forty hour work week. An hour plus on transit where you don't have to focus on driving and can read, listen to an audio book or do something else to pass the time beats an hour plus in stop and go traffic any day.
+1

Use this enforced free time to earn a certification - Project Management, Professional Engineer (study for tests), certification in your specialty, etc. This will make you more valuable wherever you work.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:19 pm

I'd look for a new job while keeping the current one. Three days off a week is nice. Plus, sounds like you have time on the commute to do bills, job search prep, close you eyes and so on. Perhaps even have time on the job to do some searching as well.

Since the old company is smaller and it sounds like the CEO will interact with you, just a ticking time bomb away from new headaches. I would not go back to this company.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

usagi

Post by usagi » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:34 pm

searle7 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:58 pm
usagi wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:52 am
You are correct to me, that is not long, in my world it is a cake walk. But with your post, it sounds like the solution is now obvious. I hope you find your personal employment nirvana.

California88

Post by California88 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:16 pm

It sounds like the old boss was hired to be a "Hackett Man" i.e. brought in to clean up company that was "losing a lot of money" ... so some employees got laid off ... some stayed but with a heavier work-load - either way it's not a good deal for any of the employees ... and there's no guarantee that the company will get back on it's feet financially - it could go under. I know you want your old job back (just like it was before the new boss came in) ... but that's just never going to happen! Working for a company that's not solvent is a "nightmare" anyway you look at it.

deikel

Post by deikel » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:23 pm

I did your exact hours in the distant past and I was using a train/bus combination for most of the commute - I will agree it effects your normal life, but the third extra day of weekend makes a nice perk in your case and you get very used to 4.30 am after a while

If you give it some time, you will figure out how to sleep on the commute (morning) or do productive stuff (night) and your efficiency in the day increases quite a bit

Is it an option to use a camper van and sleep in the parking lot ? Just a thought...

From what you are describing, I would never go back to the old place - at least not until the owner replaces the current CEO and installs someone with better bed side manners. There is a difference between being tough but doing what needs to be done to turn the ship around and being an ass....you don't learn anything useful from an ass and he will stab you in the back in a heart beat.

Fully commit to your new job and give it a try
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

Planner01

Post by Planner01 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:09 pm

I must agree with those that say don’t go back. Doesn’t sound like anything will improve. People say things when they want something from you and then don’t deliver.

Stay at the new job and find someone to carpool. Make friends to make it enjoyable and by the way cut some of that commute time. Cash in on the salary, the retirement match and enjoy the 3-day weekend.

Use your extra time to learn or up skill. Make yourself promotable with that extra time.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:22 pm

searle7 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:51 am
Any insight or experience with going back to an old employer?
Don't. There were reasons you left your former employer that haven't changed.

Find a new employer and move on.
Don't be a lemming.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:47 pm

Stay at the new job and look for a new one? Onward and upward, not backward.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:48 pm

Don't forget the reasons why you left your previous employer in the first place!
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."