Travel Insurance - Chase Sapphire Reserve

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Regattamom

Travel Insurance - Chase Sapphire Reserve

Post by Regattamom »

Has anyone used the travel insurance benefits that come with their Chase Sapphire Reserve? What was your experience? Looking at getting the card for some upcoming trips.

Thank you.
SuzBanyan

Re: Travel Insurance - Chase Sapphire Reserve

Post by SuzBanyan »

I have used it without problem as long as the claim was within the scope of the coverage.

By this I mean that we were reimbursed for a cruise for my husband and I which we charged to the card when I had a severe stomach flu hit me a few days before we sailed. Another time, I was reimbursed for my plane ticket when I had a severe bout of vertigo a few days before a trip (no argument was made by the insurance co. that susceptibility to vertigo was a pre-existing condition that would have disqualified the claim).

I was not able to be reimbursed for plane tickets charged to the card for my husband and I and 2 14 year old friends when the grandmother of one of the girls was dying a couple of days before the trip because the girl was not part of my family.

Hope this helps.
Topic Author
Regattamom

Post by Regattamom »

SuzBanyan wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:03 am I have used it without problem as long as the claim was within the scope of the coverage.

By this I mean that we were reimbursed for a cruise for my husband and I which we charged to the card when I had a severe stomach flu hit me a few days before we sailed. Another time, I was reimbursed for my plane ticket when I had a severe bout of vertigo a few days before a trip (no argument was made by the insurance co. that susceptibility to vertigo was a pre-existing condition that would have disqualified the claim).

I was not able to be reimbursed for plane tickets charged to the card for my husband and I and 2 14 year old friends when the grandmother of one of the girls was dying a couple of days before the trip because the girl was not part of my family.

Hope this helps.
Thank you!
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Regattamom wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:42 am Has anyone used the travel insurance benefits that come with their Chase Sapphire Reserve? What was your experience? Looking at getting the card for some upcoming trips.

Thank you.
Quite a few of the charge cards have recently announced significant changes in their "perks", and that's especially including travel insurance... meaning... it's being cut back or cancelled entirely.

So please look at the terms of coverage AND any recent updates that may have looked like "too much tiny find print", etc.
It's causing a lot of concern (= anger in many cases) among those who were counting on it.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

FrequentMiler has recently reviewed insurance provided by Ultra-Premium credit cards, https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/ ... ance-orig/ . CSR comes out the winner. I am planning to get it as soon as I have 48 months since receiving the CSP bonus.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
SpaethCo

Post by SpaethCo »

It’s okay for recovering non-refundable portions of upfront costs. If you have to cancel a trip, for example, generally your out of pocket expenses will be limited to things like $250 flight change fees (the remainder of the ticket issued in credit), or maybe having to pay a hotel early cancellation fee. CSR insurance will replace the $250 change/cancellation fee, not the full cost of the ticket, at least not until the credit goes unused and expires.

For things that go wrong while you’re traveling, you’re pretty much not covered for anything. If you have to fly home early because of a medical emergency, any fare difference above the $250 change fee won’t be covered. (as an example)

See this site for a good rundown: https://4wornpassports.com/beware-chase ... insurance/
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

I was not reimbursed because of a trip I had to cancel because my traveling partner came down with a very serious illness.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

Whakamole wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:20 pm I was not reimbursed because of a trip I had to cancel because my traveling partner came down with a very serious illness.
Was your traveling partner immediate family? Otherwise, I'm not sure why it would be covered under CSR's listed travel benefits.
Topic Author
Regattamom

Post by Regattamom »

Thanks everyone. I continued to research credit cards this morning and CSR came out the winner. I applied and was approved with the 50,000 bonus points.

Research Med, as far as I can tell, they haven't changed their travel insurance benefits.

The annual fee of $450 seems hefty at first, but when you factor in that you get $300 worth of credit toward travel every year, it only ends up being $150 net. And the other benefits are great, too. $100 towards TSA Precheck and membership in Priority Pass Select membership.

I hope I don't have to use the travel insurance, but it's good to have it available if needed.
mnnice

Post by mnnice »

We were eventually made whole when we had a large claim (had a 15 day journey in Costa Rica planned. Member of the party had an appendix removed just hours before be were supposed to leave. It was an enormous PITA and I think it was made difficult so that we would give up :annoyed

We had Chase Sapphire Preferred not Reserve.
Kelmscott

Post by Kelmscott »

I've had that card for years, it's been great!

I used the insurance once -- to compensate me for a vacation rental that went unused because we were stuck at home during a blizzard. Flights postponed/cancelled.

I wrote a letter to Chase, sent them a receipt of what I paid and the rental contract, provided documentation of the flight delays/cancellations ... and then I received a prompt reply. I believe I received a check within 2 weeks.

I was shocked at how simple it was -- you just need to provided the exact proof/documentation they need. I did this all via email.
SheReadsHere719

Post by SheReadsHere719 »

SpaethCo wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:08 pm It’s okay for recovering non-refundable portions of upfront costs.

For things that go wrong while you’re traveling, you’re pretty much not covered for anything.
+1. I had a non-refundable round trip ticket, and the leg home was canceled. I booked a one-way flight on another airline to get home. Chase declined the travel insurance claim for that cost incurred. However, Chase would have reimbursed for the difference between the full cost round-trip flight and the one-way flight there (the airline did this for me instead, though).
NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 »

Just used and received full payment on my claim. My flight was cancelled and rebooked for 18 hours later. Had to pay for a hotel, transportation and meals for my family.

Process was not too bad but they did come back with a few questions. Took about 6 weeks but they covered 100% of my costs.