Any Expats wishing to check in?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
me112964

Any Expats wishing to check in?

Post by me112964 »

Any Expats wanting to share their experiences? Thinking about retiring to Costa Rica when I hit my FIRE.
BolderBoy

Re: Any Expats wishing to check in?

Post by BolderBoy »

me112964 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:18 am Any Expats wanting to share their experiences? Thinking about retiring to Costa Rica when I hit my FIRE.
Are you fluent in Spanish?
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Topic Author
me112964

Post by me112964 »

My Spanish is fairly good but not fluent.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I'm hoping to be a foreign nomad until shortly before cremation.
TNWoods

Post by TNWoods »

whodidntante wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:11 pm I'm hoping to be a foreign nomad until shortly before cremation.
This sounds really interesting. At the risk of hijacking the thread, can you elaborate? Like which countries will you target, how long you will stay in any one place, if you will seek any employment, what type of accommodations you will have, etc? And do you have multiple languages now, or will you learn as needed, if needed?

I once spent a year abroad, working as a dishwasher and farmhand in a few different locations, but all in the same country. I learned enough of the language to make sure I got on the right bus, and was able to buy whatever food or stuff I needed, but English was taught in the schools from a young age, so everyone usually switched to English pretty quickly when there were language issues.

TNWoods