New Credit Card Search - 2 Front Runners?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
jakehefty17

New Credit Card Search - 2 Front Runners?

Post by jakehefty17 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:41 pm

I've been looking into a new credit card. It will be my second one ever.
I'm 28 with very good to excellent credit (I hover around 800). My only debt is my mortgage.

I have a Bank of America Cash Rewards Card. 3% back on category of my choice (gas, online shopping, travel, home improvement/furnishings, Dining, Drugstores), 2% on groceries/wholesale clubs, and 1% on everything else. If you spend more than $2500 per quarter on the card's 3% and 2% categories, you earn the default 1%. I don't have enough in taxable/checking to qualify for preferred rewards, so currently only 10% bonus for taking cashback into my BoA checking. It's a nice card. I've never missed a payment and I use it for everything.

Eventually I'd like to transfer $50k or more to Merrill Edge to get free trades and better rewards rates with both the Cash Rewards and Premium Rewards Card. My taxable account just passed $10k, I started it this year. I plan to increase savings moving forward. It will likely take around 3 years to meet the minimum before I apply for the Premium Rewards Card.

In the meantime, I am looking for a card that won't charge annual fees and may expand my rewards categories/benefits. I realized that this might help other Bogleheads so I figured I'd post about it.

Two cards stand out:

Amazon Prime Rewards Card: VISA Signature (through Chase)
UNLIMITED
5% back at Amazon.com & Whole Foods Market
2% back at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores
1% back on all other purchases.

-No Foreign Transaction Fees
-No Annual Fee (with prime membership)
-Travel protections: Travel accident insurance, lost luggage reimbursement, baggage delay insurance, travel and emergency assistance, auto rental collision damage waiver, roadside dispatch.
-Shopping protections: Extended warranty, purchase protection.
-Plus: Visa Signature concierge service and access to booking hotels in the Visa Signature Luxury Hotel Collection.

Capital One Walmart Rewards Card: MASTER CARD
UNLIMITED
5% back on purchases at Walmart.com and items purchased through the Walmart app.
2% back for in-store purchases, including those made at Murphy USA and Walmart gas stations.
2% back at travel and restaurants.
1% back on all other purchases.

-No Foreign Transaction Fees
-No Annual Fee
-Travel protections: Car rental insurance, roadside assistance, travel accident insurance, baggage delay insurance, trip cancellation/interruption insurance, travel assistance and concierge services.
-Shopping protections: Extended warranty, purchase protection.

------------------------------------

I'm thinking the Amazon card would be better for me. I'm already a prime member, and I'll likely continue to use Amazon. That rate is great even after I get the premium rewards card, so there's still an excuse to use it for every amazon online purchase.

However, the new Walmart card is very competitive. 5% back on Walmart.com is amazing, 2% back on travel/restaurants is sweet. That's the same rate as Venture (minus some travel benefits I know) but without the annual fee. I'm going to see if my girlfriend is interested in that card, as she uses Quicksilver currently. It may be an easy addition for her.

From my point of view, these two cards are very competitive and should be considered by anyone who could qualify and benefit from them.

However, I'm still relatively inexperienced with credit.

1. Has anyone experienced downsides with either card?
2. Any concerns and/or advice for me before I jump into a new card?
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." -Charles Bukowski

teamDE

Re: New Credit Card Search - 2 Front Runners?

Post by teamDE » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:46 pm

Don't be afraid of a card just because it has an annual fee. Many of the best rewards cards have an AF, just be mindful of the benefits and be sure to use them to compensate for the fee.

Uber VISA and Citi DoubleCash are also good all rounder cards with no AF.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:46 pm

The standards are Citi double cash (2% on everything) and Fidelity Visa (2% on everything IF you put it into a Fidelity account, but that can be cash management and you can immediately withdraw it).

There are the revolving category ones: Discover, Freedom, US Bank Cash Plus, all of which give you 5% on something every month.

US Bank Uber Visa, 4% on restaurants and 3,2,1% on some other things that I'm too lazy to look up.

I have all of these plus a dozen others.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:51 pm

If you want the 5% at Amazon, just get the 5% Amazon Store Card. I use that for everything Amazon.

Then I use the BoA Preferred Rewards because I park $100k in index with them to get the platinum honors. 2.675% or something like that.

Friends have cards for gas, cards for groceries, etc, and track categories. I'm too lazy.

Topic Author
jakehefty17

Post by jakehefty17 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:53 pm

arsenalfan wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:51 pm
If you want the 5% at Amazon, just get the 5% Amazon Store Card. I use that for everything Amazon.

Then I use the BoA Preferred Rewards because I park $100k in index with them to get the platinum honors. 2.675% or something like that.

Friends have cards for gas, cards for groceries, etc, and track categories. I'm too lazy.
Eventually I'd like to be lazy too. I can't afford it yet though.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." -Charles Bukowski

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:55 pm

You have the right attitude!

Hustler me would be appalled at my laziness.

Topic Author
jakehefty17

Post by jakehefty17 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:57 pm

teamDE wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:46 pm
Don't be afraid of a card just because it has an annual fee. Many of the best rewards cards have an AF, just be mindful of the benefits and be sure to use them to compensate for the fee.

I understand what you're saying. I wouldn't say I'm afraid, I just don't want to pick up a card with an AF when I have my eyes on eventually getting a Premium Rewards card with BoA. I don't want multiple cards with AF that overlap benefits, or going through closing accounts.

CMD1

Post by CMD1 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:03 pm

I really like the Fidelity card, simple 2% cash back on everything. Of course you can do better if you go for multiple cards but for simple, one of the 2% cash back cards is as good as it gets.

Topic Author
jakehefty17

Post by jakehefty17 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:34 pm

teamDE wrote:
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
US Bank Uber Visa, 4% on restaurants and 3,2,1% on some other things that I'm too lazy to look up.
Uber VISA looks like a powerful contender. 4% dining, 3% travel, 2% Online streaming/purchases, 1% everything else. Closer to what I'm looking for really, which is travel/dining. Good synergy with my current card. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I'd like to carry 2-3 credit cards. I wouldn't mind keeping one or two at home for online shopping as long as there's no AF.

I may still get the amazon one for amazon shopping only. Is there any detriment to getting a few cards for different things? I understand having more available credit can benefit credit score? My limit is currently very small.

KirklandCoug

Post by KirklandCoug » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:36 pm

There's an app called Wallaby that helps you determine the exact card to use for each purchase. You just load the type of card you have into the app. You don't load account numbers. Just a thought.

myleaf

Post by myleaf » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:42 pm

Uber Visa also has a cell phone protection plan.

You are covered when you charge your cellphone bill to the card.
"Never met an electron I did not like"

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:43 pm

CapitalOne Quicksilver is 1.5% back on everything if you don’t feel like affiliating with a specific co-brand such as Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:49 pm

jakehefty17 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:34 pm

I'd like to carry 2-3 credit cards. I wouldn't mind keeping one or two at home for online shopping as long as there's no AF.
Here is my recommended cashback setup for 3 cards. ETA: with no annual fee.

Card 1: a Base 2% card- I like the Citi Double Cash because it gives you the option to trade cash for points if you want to eventually play the premium game

Card 2: Dining card- Uber Visa, it will give you a card w/o a foreign transaction fee in addition to the rewards mentioned by others.
Runner up: Wells Fargo Propel more categories (gas), but no 4% option, less international options (its an Amex), but you can add the no fee WF Visa signature to get a 50% bonus on airfare.

Card 3: Grocery or gas (Depends a bit on card 2 and your spending) Amex BCE- 3% groceries is a big spend area to leave at 2%. Gas 5% for Ducks Unlimited or 4% with PNC Cash Rewards.
Last edited by MichCPA on Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:50 pm

jakehefty17 wrote:

I may still get the amazon one for amazon shopping only. Is there any detriment to getting a few cards for different things? I understand having more available credit can benefit credit score? My limit is currently very small.
Nope. The more credit available and the less you use of it the better. Also, having 18+ credit accounts on your record is helpful. (this includes mortgages, loans, etc in addition to CCs). We have the Amazon card just for Amazon/wholefoods, don't see why not.

Don't forget about this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=192008

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:56 pm

teamDE wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:50 pm
jakehefty17 wrote:

Nope. The more credit available and the less you use of it the better. Also, having 18+ credit accounts on your record is helpful. (this includes mortgages, loans, etc in addition to CCs). We have the Amazon card just for Amazon/wholefoods, don't see why not.

Don't forget about this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=192008
+1, The only reason to limit the amount of cards without fees is just the pain of managing them, dealing with $25 minimum cashback redemption limits, or limiting new CCs immediately before applying for a mortgage.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:05 pm

I understand why many people here use many different cards in an attempt to maximize their rewards, but (as someone upstream said :wink: ) I'm too lazy for that. I use the Fidelity 2% card for all my day-to-day spending and my monthly bills. (I have a separate Fidelity 2% card that is used for nothing but recurring monthly charges, so that if my day-to-day card gets compromised, I won't have to re-enter all those autopay setups.)

The only thing I don't like about the Fidelity card is the foreign transaction fees; because of them, I leave that card at home when I travel outside the country. I keep a couple of credit cards with no foreign transaction fees to use while travelling, in case one gets cracked while I'm abroad. I used to have a Bank of America card, but the first time I tried to use it was on a cruise ship, and it was declined, even though I had given BoA a travel notification covering the trip. BoA and I parted ways at that point, and I replaced their card with the Chase / Amazon Prime card. So far so good, no complaints.

We also have a Delta Skymiles Platinum AmEx, which has no foreign transaction fees but does have an annual fee. For a card with an annual fee to make any sense, you would have to earn enough in rewards from a typical year's spending on that card versus the same spend on a no-annual-fee card to pay the annual fee. If you don't, you're losing money. In our case, with the annual companion certificate and free checked bags, it's at least a break-even proposition.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

beehivehave

Post by beehivehave » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:12 pm

I would never favor a credit card that limits your rebates to a single retailer. It is just another incentive to not shop around to find the best price, as Amazon does, and/or to use high-end retailers. No doubt you can do better with other cards.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:13 pm

After learning about it here at BH, I got the 2% Citi doublecash. I use it more than I thought I would.
I also have the Amazon 5% which I only use for Amazon, and the Costco Citi VISA (3% restaurants and travel, %4 gas, no foreign transaction fees, car rental insurance) Just because I get 5% back at Amazon doesn't mean I spend foolishly. It just means that if I find something at a good price on Amazon, I can get 5% back on it.

I didn't realize how much of my spending was only getting me 1% back but have now transitioned to 2% for the "everything else."

I use credit cards to pay my health insurance premiums, co-pays, cell phone bill, and home improvements whenever possible... then I make sure I have auto payments set up so I never pay a late fee on any of the cards.

I don't like the rotating reward categories...too high maintenance for me.

Topic Author
jakehefty17

Post by jakehefty17 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:37 pm

MichCPA wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:49 pm
jakehefty17 wrote:

Here is my recommended cashback setup for 3 cards. ETA: with no annual fee.

Card 1: a Base 2% card- I like the Citi Double Cash because it gives you the option to trade cash for points if you want to eventually play the premium game

Card 2: Dining card- Uber Visa, it will give you a card w/o a foreign transaction fee in addition to the rewards mentioned by others.
Runner up: Wells Fargo Propel more categories (gas), but no 4% option, less international options (its an Amex), but you can add the no fee WF Visa signature to get a 50% bonus on airfare.

Card 3: Grocery or gas (Depends a bit on card 2 and your spending) Amex BCE- 3% groceries is a big spend area to leave at 2%. Gas 5% for Ducks Unlimited or 4% with PNC Cash Rewards.
I'm thinking the Uber card is probably my best fit for the short term. May be good for the mid term with 3 cards carried. I could get the Fidelity card as a daily driver until I get Premium Rewards. I have my Roth IRA there. With that setup I'd have...
Card 1: Daily Driver - Fidelity 2% back card
Card 2: Dining/Travel/Online Services - Uber Visa - 4/3/2%
Card 3: Gas/Groceries - BoA Cash Rewards (already have) - 3%/2%

With preferred rewards, I'd eventually prefer to just carry:
Card 1: Travel/Dining/Daily Driver - BoA Premium Rewards - 2.62% on all purchases, 3.5% on dining and travel ($95 AF)
Card 2: Gas/Groceries - BoA Cash Rewards - 5.25% Gas, 3.5% groceries/wholesale clubs

Maybe get the Amazon/Walmart cards at a later date for online shopping. Could save me even more when I'm Black Friday/Cyber Monday shopping... which is about the only online shopping I do annually.

Topic Author
jakehefty17

Post by jakehefty17 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:38 pm

Thank you everyone for the replies it's been helpful and informative. Keep them coming if you wish.

blackholescion

Post by blackholescion » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:33 pm

Don’t forget that the Walmart card is 5% in store, only for the first year and you have to use Walmart pay. After that you only get the 5% online.

Also if you spend more than $3600 a year in groceries, the Amex Blue Cash Preferred is a far superior card to a 3% back at groceries card. You can also buy gift cards to places you already shop at (Amazon) and get 6% back on them making it a slightly better proposition than the Amazon card if your combined amazon/actual grocery expenses don’t exceed 6k a year since the limit on groceries is 6k/year and it reverts to 1% after that. You also get 6% at streaming subscription places like Netflix and Apple/Google Music and stuff like that.

Don’t forget that Amex has amazing offers like spend $250 get $25 back at Best Buy. Best Buy also sells gift cards so you can load up on gas at 10% off. I’ve saved an average of $250 per year with deals like this on purchases I would have made anyway. Pays for the annual fee and then some.

I use the citi double cash, Amex blue cash preferred, and Costco visa. Works out well for the major categories and covers all the important card types/foreign transactions.

boater07

Post by boater07 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:17 pm

I have liked the Costco Visa till now. Trip Cancellation has been dropped.
Although I've never used the benefit, it gave me comfort booking cruises etc
6 months out. Appears expensive to buy for each trip.
I'm looking for replacement and have only found Chase cards so far. Any other
suggestions?

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:32 pm

I have a gazillion credit cards, mainly due to up front bonus chasing. If you are willing to use autopay and keep your bank account sufficiently funded, having multiple cards is not much trouble at all.

As to Amazon card, I have one and just use it for Amazon. It is saved on Amazon. I havent actually touched the actual card in years. No need to carry it. I didn't know about the cap one walmart. I'll probably get one and use it just for online grocery purchases. I also have a target card just for target although it doesn't get used that much these days.

tigerdoc93

Post by tigerdoc93 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:43 pm

To clarify the fidelity 2% card has a 1% foreign transaction fee but you get 2% back. So net 1% for foreign transactions. No need to leave at home whenever you’re traveling.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:17 am

jakehefty17 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:37 pm

I'm thinking the Uber card is probably my best fit for the short term. May be good for the mid term with 3 cards carried. I could get the Fidelity card as a daily driver until I get Premium Rewards. I have my Roth IRA there. With that setup I'd have...
Card 1: Daily Driver - Fidelity 2% back card
Card 2: Dining/Travel/Online Services - Uber Visa - 4/3/2%
Card 3: Gas/Groceries - BoA Cash Rewards (already have) - 3%/2%

With preferred rewards, I'd eventually prefer to just carry:
Card 1: Travel/Dining/Daily Driver - BoA Premium Rewards - 2.62% on all purchases, 3.5% on dining and travel ($95 AF)
Card 2: Gas/Groceries - BoA Cash Rewards - 5.25% Gas, 3.5% groceries/wholesale clubs

Maybe get the Amazon/Walmart cards at a later date for online shopping. Could save me even more when I'm Black Friday/Cyber Monday shopping... which is about the only online shopping I do annually.
If you want to save on Black Friday shopping you should consider one of the 5% category cards (Chase Freedom, Discover it, US Bank Cash +). Store cards aren't that useful, if you have something that gives you 5% everywhere during peak shopping season.

I also recommend Citi DC over Fido, because 2% cash where you want it beats 2% only into a Fido account. Switching brokers would then require changing CCs. You aren't going to pay an FTF (Uber card) so the 1% vs 3% isn't a consideration.

blackholescion

Post by blackholescion » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:22 am

boater07 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:17 pm
suggestions?
Amex just rolled out trip cancellation on par with Chase.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.busine ... nce-2019-9

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:24 am

tigerdoc93 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:43 pm
To clarify the fidelity 2% card has a 1% foreign transaction fee but you get 2% back. So net 1% for foreign transactions. No need to leave at home whenever you’re traveling.
This doesn't really matter though. If OP gets the Uber Visa, it would be = or better across the board when that fee is added. No reason to carry the card with you abroad if there isn't a single optimal use case. With FTFs its 0 or bust. A standard 3% FTF+ an additional benefit is better than a 1% FTF.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:28 am

blackholescion wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:22 am
boater07 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:17 pm
suggestions?
Amex just rolled out trip cancellation on par with Chase.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.busine ... nce-2019-9
I wouldn't say 'on par' because trip cancellation only applies to 550 and 450 AF cards. There is trip DELAY for most Amex cards with fees, but the delay has to be 6 hrs on the 550/450 cards and 12 hrs on the 250/195 cards. You can get both for 95 w the CSP, and I would argue the CSR at 450 is a less expensive card for most people than Amex because you get a general travel credit.

Still, its a positive development.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:38 am

LilyFleur wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:13 pm
After learning about it here at BH, I got the 2% Citi doublecash. I use it more than I thought I would.
I also have the Amazon 5% which I only use for Amazon, and the Costco Citi VISA (3% restaurants and travel, %4 gas, no foreign transaction fees, car rental insurance) Just because I get 5% back at Amazon doesn't mean I spend foolishly. It just means that if I find something at a good price on Amazon, I can get 5% back on it.

I didn't realize how much of my spending was only getting me 1% back but have now transitioned to 2% for the "everything else."

I use credit cards to pay my health insurance premiums, co-pays, cell phone bill, and home improvements whenever possible... then I make sure I have auto payments set up so I never pay a late fee on any of the cards.

I don't like the rotating reward categories...too high maintenance for me.
My feelings exactly.

Amazon for Amazon purchases, Costco for gas/travel/dining, Citi DC for everything (and i mean EVERYTHING) else.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Buckeye Chuck

Post by Buckeye Chuck » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:07 pm

My 2 heavy hitters are Costco Visa and gm card. Costco for gas and warehouse purchases plus 4 year warranty on major purchases at Costco. Gm card has saved me thousands on vehicles.

Topic Author
jakehefty17

Post by jakehefty17 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:35 pm

MichCPA wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:17 am
If you want to save on Black Friday shopping you should consider one of the 5% category cards (Chase Freedom, Discover it, US Bank Cash +). Store cards aren't that useful, if you have something that gives you 5% everywhere during peak shopping season.

I also recommend Citi DC over Fido, because 2% cash where you want it beats 2% only into a Fido account. Switching brokers would then require changing CCs. You aren't going to pay an FTF (Uber card) so the 1% vs 3% isn't a consideration.
I don't want to deal with rotating categories. Or quarterly spending limits. Especially when I can get an unlimited 5% discount at Amazon or Walmart when I shop online with no annual fee. That's as easy as it gets if you ask me. I'd just use them for online shopping, heck I could cross-shop between them for the better deal. But to each their own.

The only quarterly spending limit I can deal with is the BoA Cash rewards, as I won't spend enough in gas+groceries to hit the limit.

I don't plan to change my Roth IRA provider, but I see your point on the Fidelity card. I'd need to open a CMA account just to deposit the points into. Maybe Doublecash is the way to go. Good point. Thanks for posting.

lukestuckenhymer

Post by lukestuckenhymer » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:17 pm

My main card is now Citi Double Cash (2% on everything), which made my old Chase Freedom Unlimited obsolete (1.5% on everything).
Discover and Chase Freedom (5% categories) are very effective when it comes to gas, groceries, restaurants, online shopping.
To round out the list is Capital One Savor One (3% on all dining, 2% on groceries).

The Walmart 5% Rewards card with no annual fee looks attractive. I exclusively order online and I hate going into Walmart.

All cards are annual fee free. I can't justify getting one with a fee because I figure even though cashback would cover the fee in the current year, I can see myself being stuck with a card that I don't use in the future. I would get the Amazon 5% card, but I really don't use Amazon more than one or two items per month.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:43 pm

lukestuckenhymer wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:17 pm
Discover and Chase Freedom (5% categories) are very effective when it comes to gas, groceries, restaurants, online shopping.
When was the last time Chase Freedom had a groceries quarter?

lukestuckenhymer

Post by lukestuckenhymer » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:00 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:43 pm
lukestuckenhymer wrote:
Q2 2019. Both Discover and Chase have gas and groceries at least one quarter per year.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/activate- ... -earnings/

arf30

Post by arf30 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:55 pm

I keep it simple with a 2% card as a base (Fidelity or Double Cash), Quicksilver 1.5% as a backup/travel card (no foreign transaction fees, automatic redemption), then sprinkle in one or two more cards for your specific situation (Chase Amazon is my personal choice for 5% Amazon and Whole Foods) like the Uber card for 4% on dining.

Hector

Post by Hector » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:13 pm

About Discover and Chase Freedom (5% categories), its little work to keep on top of that. Fidelity and Citi double are good 2% cash back cards. Discover is another good one with 1.5% cash back with free international transactions.

lukestuckenhymer

Post by lukestuckenhymer » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:55 am

Hector wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:13 pm
About Discover and Chase Freedom (5% categories), its little work to keep on top of that. Fidelity and Citi double are good 2% cash back cards. Discover is another good one with 1.5% cash back with free international transactions.
It was hard for me too, until I put a mini post-it note inside my wallet each quarter informing me of which categories were active :D

b4nash

Post by b4nash » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:33 am

lukestuckenhymer wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:55 am
Hector wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:13 pm
It was hard for me too, until I put a mini post-it note inside my wallet each quarter informing me of which categories were active :D
I use the notes app on my phone and have it shared with my significant other.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:40 am

lukestuckenhymer wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:00 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:43 pm
lukestuckenhymer wrote:
Q2 2019. Both Discover and Chase have gas and groceries at least one quarter per year.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/activate- ... -earnings/
Thanks! I was mistaken. I thought they had dropped groceries, but now I see from your link that restaurants is the category that they've dropped. The last time they had a restaurants quarter was in 2017.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:59 pm

teamDE wrote:
A good example is an airline card which gives a free checked bag. If you fly that airline for two round-trips a year, you save more money on the checked bag fee than you paid in the annual fee. So this makes sense if you would normally make these trips on one airline (because you live in its hub city, or because it flies nonstop between your own home and your relatives' home). This is why I use a United card; I lived in New Jersey (Newark hub) when I got the card, and now live in the Washington suburbs (Dulles hub).
Wiki David Grabiner

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:15 pm

grabiner wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:59 pm
teamDE wrote:
A good example is an airline card which gives a free checked bag. If you fly that airline for two round-trips a year, you save more money on the checked bag fee than you paid in the annual fee. So this makes sense if you would normally make these trips on one airline (because you live in its hub city, or because it flies nonstop between your own home and your relatives' home). This is why I use a United card; I lived in New Jersey (Newark hub) when I got the card, and now live in the Washington suburbs (Dulles hub).
Totally. I use the JetBlue Plus card since i fly JetBlue all the time. It costs $95, but in exchange me and my whole party get free checked bags, $100 vacation credit, half off in-flight stuff, and a 5000pt annual credit which is worth like $65.

My Amex Gold costs $250/yr, but i get $120 in Grubhub credit and $100 in airline credit.

The key is to make sure the credits are something you'd actually use otherwise. Don't "spend money to save money".

Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:30 pm

Other no-fee 2% cards are State Dept FCU (anyone can join) or PenFed (requires free checking account w/ them, $500 min balance, some requirements to join). They are both Visa Signature and come w/ the various features like warranty extension, CDW for rental car, and no foreign transaction fee.

The Fidelity card seems kind of limited, foreign transaction fee plus IIRC it's not Visa Signature and doesn't have those other additions. But if you already have an account with them, so much the better.

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:01 pm

fwiw, the Citi DC is a Visa World Elite. I think we get a $10 Lyft credit every ten rides or something like that for it. Not sure what else is does, honestly.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:27 pm

Surprised I have not seen US Bank Altitude Visa mentioned here.

4.5% cashback (in the form of travel spend) on travel and all mobile payments (Apple Pay, etc.). Which is accepted at most places I spend my money nowadays.

$75 net annual fee after the travel credit. Which means the annual fee pays for itself over a no-fee 2% card if you spend at least $3,000 per year on travel or mobile payments (groceries, Costco, gas).

Next time my Chase Sapphire Reserve comes up for renewal I will be cancelling it and cashing in all my UR points, to be replaced by:

1. US Bank Altitude - 4.5% on travel and mobile payments
2. Uber Visa - 4% on dining
3. BoA Cash Rewards - 3% on online shopping
4. Citi Double Cash - 2% on everything else

Topic Author
jakehefty17

Post by jakehefty17 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:08 pm

Update:

After much trouble with trying to apply via the android app, I successfully applied via Barclay's website for the Uber Visa. Thankfully a reddit user posted a link to this application, I couldn't find it anywhere else. Anyway, I'll use it for Dining/Travel/Online expenses. Thanks very much to the responders that recommended this card, it's a great fit for my needs.

Now I could use a "daily driver" card. I decided on the Fidelity Rewards Card over Citi Doublecash, as I already have a Fidelity Roth IRA account. Adding a CMA is easy, and I can transfer funds to easily manage my cash between accounts. And it's green. (I know this doesn't matter)

To avoid negatively impacting my credit score, should I wait a certain amount of time before applying for the Fidelity Rewards card? Not that I necessarily need the score for any upcoming purchases...

I don't need it immediately, just wondering if there's a consensus on wait time between opening accounts. Also on the docket would be the Amazon rewards card. After that I shouldn't want/need any other cards else until I qualify for Platinum or Platinum Honors Rewards from BoA.\

Thanks again, this community is awesome.

Jyb33

Post by Jyb33 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:50 pm

Wow......is this the link? https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Lan ... llNumber=7

I spent several hours this week trying to find some way to apply other than via the uber app. I was
convinced there was no other way, based on everything I read. After seeing your post, I searched again
and found that link (on REDDIT, as you stated).
I hope it's legit ......I'll have to look at what firefox-security says about it.......haha...
But given that it worked for you.....should be legit...
But very wierd that there's no way to get to that web page (application) via Barclays main website, or
via their main "uber visa" web page.
p.s. I wouldn't feel comfortable providing all of that sensitive info. on an android phone (which ends up being given to both Uber
and Barclay).......ssn, d.o.b., etc. etc.

Topic Author
jakehefty17

Post by jakehefty17 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:09 am

Jyb33 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:50 pm
Wow......is this the link? https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Lan ... llNumber=7

I spent several hours this week trying to find some way to apply other than via the uber app. I was
convinced there was no other way, based on everything I read. After seeing your post, I searched again
and found that link (on REDDIT, as you stated).
I hope it's legit ......I'll have to look at what firefox-security says about it.......haha...
But given that it worked for you.....should be legit...
But very wierd that there's no way to get to that web page (application) via Barclays main website, or
via their main "uber visa" web page.
p.s. I wouldn't feel comfortable providing all of that sensitive info. on an android phone (which ends up being given to both Uber
and Barclay).......ssn, d.o.b., etc. etc.
I applied yesterday via that link. It seems like there's no way to that page on the site other than directly linking to it. Since then I've logged into the barclays US app and seen my card there. Emails from barclays US after changing card preferences... looks legit. I can update again after getting the card if you wish.