Locked out of Equifax

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Locked out of Equifax

Post by get_g0ing »

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone else went through this situation and what the resolution was.

I had the online myEquifax account (https://my.equifax.com), and able to access it just fine - till last Friday, when it started giving this message:

"We can't complete your request at this time.
Please call the Customer Care team
888-836-6351"

On calling that number, the agent told me that there was some "issue" (would not give any specific detail) and he would escalate it, and I would receive an email. Couple days later, I received an email:
"Upon further review, the option to utilize the online website, MyEquifax is not available to you.
This decision is based on the information that you have provided during the account creation process."
I called again, was told me the exact same thing (some issue, would escalate, I would receive email). I asked to speak to manager/supervisor, who assured me that the internal department would look into it. My main points to them were:

1. I was able to access myEquifax online just fine in the past.
2. No changes in my personal info (including same address).
3. I can still access the online accounts of the other two bureaus (TransUnion, Experian). And reviewing their online info, there's no significant changes to my credit profile or score.

I've also had credit freezes with the three bureaus over the past 2 years.

Then I received a 2nd email in response to my 2nd call, with the exact same wording:
"Upon further review, the option to utilize the online website, MyEquifax is not available to you.
This decision is based on the information that you have provided during the account creation process."

Re: Locked out of Equifax

Post by 808 »

Are you using a VPN and/or connecting from what looks like different locations (based on IP) each login?
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

This is just a side comment - I had to unfreeze my credit a few days ago to apply for a credit card, and Experian and Transunion were straightforward, Equifax was hell.

Experian: phone process does not work, but https://www.experian.com/ncaconline/removefreeze does.

Transunion: 1-888-909-8872 works.

Equifax: try phone after typing in four numbers it wants to text a code to the phone I am calling in on.
Go get second phone and start over typing in four numbers. Accepts code then says it can't continue.
Call human phone, type in d*mn four numbers again, human says system is unavailable.
Go to website it has my old email address, call human again, type in four numbers again, human says create a new account.
Will that work for same Social Security number? cross fingers and try. works. Bizarre that it works.
Calico

Post by Calico »

fru-gal wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:20 am This is just a side comment - I had to unfreeze my credit a few days ago to apply for a credit card, and Experian and Transunion were straightforward, Equifax was hell.

Experian: phone process does not work, but https://www.experian.com/ncaconline/removefreeze does.

Transunion: 1-888-909-8872 works.

Equifax: try phone after typing in four numbers it wants to text a code to the phone I am calling in on.
Go get second phone and start over typing in four numbers. Accepts code then says it can't continue.
Call human phone, type in d*mn four numbers again, human says system is unavailable.
Go to website it has my old email address, call human again, type in four numbers again, human says create a new account.
Will that work for same Social Security number? cross fingers and try. works. Bizarre that it works.
I had a similar problem with Equifax when I went to unfreeze my credit a few months back. I think they just have a buggy system and that might be what the OP is running in to. Eventually I was able to unfreeze it but it sure wasn't easy.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I had a problem with them a few months ago and tried a different browser and for some reason it worked.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

I and DW have same issues with Equifax. After so many attempts I was finally able to freeze my account with them over the phone and access my online account. But I can never manage the freeze online had I wanted to remove it. I called so many times, sent so many complaints with no avail! I tried other browsers, same thing.
I gave up on their website.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
investor4life

Post by investor4life »

get_g0ing wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:41 pm Hi,

I am wondering if anyone else went through this situation and what the resolution was.

I had the online myEquifax account (https://my.equifax.com), and able to access it just fine - till last Friday, when it started giving this message:

"We can't complete your request at this time.
Please call the Customer Care team
888-836-6351"

On calling that number, the agent told me that there was some "issue" (would not give any specific detail) and he would escalate it, and I would receive an email. Couple days later, I received an email:
I called again, was told me the exact same thing (some issue, would escalate, I would receive email). I asked to speak to manager/supervisor, who assured me that the internal department would look into it. My main points to them were:

1. I was able to access myEquifax online just fine in the past.
2. No changes in my personal info (including same address).
3. I can still access the online accounts of the other two bureaus (TransUnion, Experian). And reviewing their online info, there's no significant changes to my credit profile or score.

I've also had credit freezes with the three bureaus over the past 2 years.

Then I received a 2nd email in response to my 2nd call, with the exact same wording:
Welcome to the club! There's a whole thread (or two) on this Equifax issue. I've given up on the website. Recently, I used a PIN that I had to unfreeze my file there in connection with a car purchase. The "good" news is that if you are locked out, then so are the bad guys (or at least one would hope so).
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

This is their way of preventing consumers from accessing free credit reports. This business should be put out of business. I wish there was a class-action lawsuit.
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads
1rl9DS5gl2

Post by 1rl9DS5gl2 »

Equifax is evil. They should be put out of business. If your credit is frozen with them and you can ever imagine wanting new credit, I'd unfreeze it ASAP. Long story short, I was so frustrated with them I filed a formal complaint with the the Consumer Finance Protection Agency. They dragged their feet for weeks and never came up with any kind of relevant response. They simply don't care about you. Their customers are banks and other financial institutions. You're simply the raw material.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

I wanted to share a workaround in case someone else runs into this. Credit goes to another poster who told me.

Different Equifax reps kept sending me the exact same scripted email (above). Eventually I talked to a manager who told me that I would not be able to access my.equifax.com. And made vague references to "internal" policy. Also said that I would not also be able to make a new account.

After I thought about it, I went to Equifax settlement website to check if I was impacted. And yes I was. So my wild guess is that maybe this is related. They might be blocking folks who were affected.

Anyway, a work around is through https://lockandalert.equifax.com which is for credit locks (myEquifax is for credit freezes). I was able to make an account with the same information. I noticed that the account creation screen was identical to myEquifax with identical information fields.
It had the option to unfreeze and replace it with credit lock using my PIN, which I did. I basically wanted the ability to freeze/unfreeze (or lock/unlock) online easily, so this works for me (I know freeze and lock are not exact same, but serves my purpose).

Interesting note:
Equifax didn't allow me to unfreeze online (via myEquifax), but they readily allowed me to unfreeze online in order to use their "lock" service (via Lock&Alert). This is how lame they are!
rtt22

Post by rtt22 »

I went into my.equifax.com to put a freeze on my Equifax credit report and lo and behold it's in a locked state because I locked it through https://lockandalert.equifax.com many months ago. There is a link to "turn the lock into a freeze". When clicked on it, the action failed. So apparently Equifax really wants people to do lock/unlock rather than freeze/unfreeze.
Mike-R

Post by Mike-R »

get_g0ing wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:08 pm I wanted to share a workaround in case someone else runs into this. Credit goes to another poster who told me.

Different Equifax reps kept sending me the exact same scripted email (above). Eventually I talked to a manager who told me that I would not be able to access my.equifax.com. And made vague references to "internal" policy. Also said that I would not also be able to make a new account.

After I thought about it, I went to Equifax settlement website to check if I was impacted. And yes I was. So my wild guess is that maybe this is related. They might be blocking folks who were affected.

Anyway, a work around is through https://lockandalert.equifax.com which is for credit locks (myEquifax is for credit freezes). I was able to make an account with the same information. I noticed that the account creation screen was identical to myEquifax with identical information fields.
It had the option to unfreeze and replace it with credit lock using my PIN, which I did. I basically wanted the ability to freeze/unfreeze (or lock/unlock) online easily, so this works for me (I know freeze and lock are not exact same, but serves my purpose).

Interesting note:
Equifax didn't allow me to unfreeze online (via myEquifax), but they readily allowed me to unfreeze online in order to use their "lock" service (via Lock&Alert). This is how lame they are!

Thank you for posting this information.

After wrestling with it for nearly two months, and getting the same useless response of "Upon further review, the option to utilize the online website, MyEquifax is not available to you. This decision is based on the information that you have provided during the account creation process." I had given up.

After using the URL above I was able to create an account (with the EXACT same information as the MyEquifax.com login data) and convert my current credit freeze to a lock which I can manage online at my discretion. As pointed out, you will need your 10 digit credit freeze PIN available to manage this switch.

The other two bureaus work without a hitch. What an absolutely awful company Equifax is.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

gwe67 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:17 pm This is their way of preventing consumers from accessing free credit reports. This business should be put out of business. I wish there was a class-action lawsuit.
Do you have proof of this?
bironology

Post by bironology »

Same issue for me 2 weeks ago when I visited to initiate a freeze. I just printed the paper form and mailed it in and moved on with my life. Got a confirmation in the mail just the other day. Pain in the neck, but less painful than hanging on the phone with lackeys for hours to try to get online access.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

wfrobinette wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:45 am
gwe67 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:17 pm This is their way of preventing consumers from accessing free credit reports. This business should be put out of business. I wish there was a class-action lawsuit.
I, and others in this forum and on other sites have reported being unable to obtain a free Equifax credit report while being able to obtain the free credit reports from the other two big agencies, using the same credentials. Some have reported being able to purchase an Equifax credit report with the same credentials that Equifax would not accept for releasing the free credit report.
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

gwe67 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:45 pm
I, and others in this forum and on other sites have reported being unable to obtain a free Equifax credit report while being able to obtain the free credit reports from the other two big agencies, using the same credentials. Some have reported being able to purchase an Equifax credit report with the same credentials that Equifax would not accept for releasing the free credit report.
What's the old saying... Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

It's entirely possible the cause of the troubles here is the incompetence of Equifax and their software/web developers. Very believable, speaking as a someone who's been on both sides of software products (developer and user).

Of course it's also possible there is incompetence and malice at work :)
statman

Post by statman »

Ah, Equifax. I froze my acct there after the data breach. Attempting to unfreeze it, I sent: The PIN they issued at freeze; a copy of my driver's license to verify DOB and address; a 1099 from Social Security to verify my SS number; my phone number etc. Result: "We can't locate your account from the information given." At this level of incompetence, I decided it is wiser to leave the acct frozen.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

sycamore wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:31 pm
gwe67 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:45 pm
What's the old saying... Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

It's entirely possible the cause of the troubles here is the incompetence of Equifax and their software/web developers. Very believable, speaking as a someone who's been on both sides of software products (developer and user).

Of course it's also possible there is incompetence and malice at work :)
Here's another example. viewtopic.php?p=5342306#p5342306

You decide, incompetence or malice?
batpot

Post by batpot »

Finally called them to get my online access restored.
They couldn't do it over the phone, and told me I had to write a letter.
Then clarified I could fax a copy of my SSN card and DL to 888-826-0725.

But he was able to unfreeze me over the phone. :x
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Back in 2017 when the Equifax breach was made public I froze my credit at all three major bureaus. Equifax provided me a PIN of their choosing. Quite a few other posters here were doing the same thing. Then someone noticed that the PIN provided by Equifax was simply a date and time stamp from the exact instant that you froze your credit!

A year or so ago I attempted to thaw my credit with all three bureaus. The others were easily done but I could NOT log back on to Equifax. I was asked to prove my identity by means of multiple choice questions as to a mortgage I had supposedly taken out (I had not), a car loan I took out (I had not) and so on. In each case NONE of the choices pertained to me, at all. So I figured they were random questions and my choices just happened to all be false so I answered None Of The Above for each question, well I failed the test!

It was as though my questions all pertained to someone else, which is exactly what I think happened.

I was finally able to thaw my credit with them using their automated 800 number, that worked for me. I gave up on their website.
ColoradoRob

Post by ColoradoRob »

I have similar problems with Equifax. Here is an email that I sent to them...but surprisingly haven't received any resolution. It felt good to send it though.... Its like they don't WANT to help or something...

Hello,
Please reset the password to my.Equifax.com login. My user name is: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Your system will not allow me to log in to my.Equifax account because I already have an pre-existing Equifax.com account which was created in 2016. So, when I try to log in to myEquifax.com, the system says "Hey dummy, you already have a login, just click here to recover your password" and when I do that, the system says "Hey dummy, you aint got no account with us, so go create one, you dummy."

And don't ask me to call you at some 1-800 number--I can't understand a word your telephone representatives say. have YOU ever talked to them on the phone? Its like they're using some garbage Vonage VOIP system on a 28.8 kpbs dial up connection on a windows 95 computer.

So if you could kindly just do some kind of a password reset link to your my.Equifax.com website, that would totally make my day....possibly even my month. I may sit around the table with my friends and make up songs of praise to Equifax. My friends would think that would be a little dumb that I was kissing up to a mega-corp and say "Yo-what's gotten into you?" ANd I would say "HEY-Equifax is the man! They reset my password like I asked them to.... Ever try that with Experian or TransUnion? Hunh---Ya....didn't think so! THAT is why I'm singing songs about them." And I'd go right back to singing loudly....even though I am tone deaf and not a very good singer. But you get the point. I'd be a happy guy.

Thanks
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

gwe67 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:17 pmThis is their way of preventing consumers from accessing free credit reports. This business should be put out of business. I wish there was a class-action lawsuit.
+1000!

This is their intended business model.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

ColoradoRob wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:45 pm I have similar problems with Equifax. Here is an email that I sent to them...but surprisingly haven't received any resolution. It felt good to send it though.... Its like they don't WANT to help or something...

Hello,
Please reset the password to my.Equifax.com login. My user name is: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Your system will not allow me to log in to my.Equifax account because I already have an pre-existing Equifax.com account which was created in 2016. So, when I try to log in to myEquifax.com, the system says "Hey dummy, you already have a login, just click here to recover your password" and when I do that, the system says "Hey dummy, you aint got no account with us, so go create one, you dummy."

And don't ask me to call you at some 1-800 number--I can't understand a word your telephone representatives say. have YOU ever talked to them on the phone? Its like they're using some garbage Vonage VOIP system on a 28.8 kpbs dial up connection on a windows 95 computer.

So if you could kindly just do some kind of a password reset link to your my.Equifax.com website, that would totally make my day....possibly even my month. I may sit around the table with my friends and make up songs of praise to Equifax. My friends would think that would be a little dumb that I was kissing up to a mega-corp and say "Yo-what's gotten into you?" ANd I would say "HEY-Equifax is the man! They reset my password like I asked them to.... Ever try that with Experian or TransUnion? Hunh---Ya....didn't think so! THAT is why I'm singing songs about them." And I'd go right back to singing loudly....even though I am tone deaf and not a very good singer. But you get the point. I'd be a happy guy.

Thanks
Perfect!
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

I have been able to thaw/refreeze my Equifax credit report with no issues.

If a credit reporting agency blocks me from getting my report online, I just order one by phone. If enough people do that, the cost of printing and mailing might get them to fix their web site.
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

rkhusky wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:05 pm I have been able to thaw/refreeze my Equifax credit report with no issues.

If a credit reporting agency blocks me from getting my report online, I just order one by phone. If enough people do that, the cost of printing and mailing might get them to fix their web site.
I normally order by phone. So far no problems even w/ Equifax.
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

batpot wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:02 pm Finally called them to get my online access restored.
They couldn't do it over the phone, and told me I had to write a letter.
Then clarified I could fax a copy of my SSN card and DL to 888-826-0725.

But he was able to unfreeze me over the phone. :x
Similar, except I've faxed that data three times now and they've never acknowledged receiving it. Interestingly the ability to unfreeze on the phone seems to vary week-to-week. Last time I was successful which was good because I'm in the middle of a refinance and that would have been a show-stopper. I know I'm going to have to unfreeze one more time right before closing, and I don't have high confidence that will be successful.

Terrible company.