Quiz: How Well Do You Know Social Security

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
mickeyd

Quiz: How Well Do You Know Social Security

Post by mickeyd »

No one can beat my score on this quiz. But most of you can tie my number. Have fun.
How You Did on this Quiz:

100%

You Answered

9 out of 9 questions correctly
Quiz: How Well Do You Know Social Security?

[link formatted by admin LadyGeek]
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
ram

Re: Quiz: How Well Do You Know Social Security

Post by ram »

I tied. (not yet retired)
Ram
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

9 for 9
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

One of those should have the answer sometimes. So I flipped a coin as to what they wanted and lost.
retiredflyboy

Post by retiredflyboy »

7 of 9. FICA and Congress questions I got wrong.

Fun thanks
Facts are stubborn things. Everything works until it doesn’t.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

8 out of 9 (got question #4 wrong).
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

Why should we trust some F-150 advertiser to decide what counts as knowing Social Security? I got all the questions right but they were extremely easy.

Hmm, I think I'll take the bus to my local Ford dealer to buy an F-150, since I'm practically perfect in every way.

PJW
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

9 for 9. But I'm a good guesser.
Namashkar

Post by Namashkar »

8 out of 9.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:32 pm 8 out of 9 (got question #4 wrong).
Same. That was really tricky.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

8 of 9. Had no idea what first 3 digits of number meant
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

9 out of 9, but I only knew 6 of them.
Good guesser! :P
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

I know Social Security well enough.
And for whatever I don't know, I know who to ask.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
supersharpie

Post by supersharpie »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:32 pm 8 out of 9 (got question #4 wrong).
Don't feel bad, the "correct" answer is incorrect. While the first three numbers were historically tied to geography, since about five years ago SSNs have been randomly assigned. The first three numbers of newly issued SSNs, therefore, signify nothing at all.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

6 out of 9:(
But what I didn't know - Are Social Security benefits subject to federal taxes?
This is surprise to me - I thought that SS exempt from federal taxes.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Tommy wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:45 pm 6 out of 9:(
Income dependent
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Income dependent
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

9 out of 9, tied you.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I got 9 out of 10. I don't think it's a very useful test. Apart from bragging rights.

On #4, I knew the right answer, but I don't see how anyone can think it is important to know whether the first three digits of the SSN are assigned by the applicant's geographical region at the time of application, or by birthplace. That's just a meaningless trivia fact.

Similarly, I don't know why it's important to know whether or not members of Congress pay into Social Security, except possibly to spike various false memes. Basically, I don't expect ever to be a member of Congress, and if I ever expect to be I can cross that bridge when I come to it.

The only question I missed was #8, "what is the approximate average monthly Social Security benefit." I said "$1,500-$2,000." Given that the correct answer is $1,446, I don't think much of that question. The breakpoint between ranges shouldn't have been that close to the correct answer.

It's not even clear why it's important to know the average monthly Social benefit--beyond knowing that it's, say, more than $500 and less than $5,000. But why it's important to know just which side of $1,500 it falls on, is beyond me.

It only makes sense if the point of the question is to find out whether the student has memorized the precise number.

It reminds me of the time I found out that in a certain class of students, almost every student knew that a cubic centimeter was not the same as a milliliter--and yet almost no student had even the slightest idea of how big a cc or ml was. (Yes, it was true at the time. 1 milliliter = 1.000027 cc until 1964). It was a really grotesque example of "forest for the trees." They all knew the unimportant technicality--that they were "different,"--and not the important fact--that they were virtually the same.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

I got 5 out of 9. Hope the grade is curved.
Abe

Post by Abe »

I didn't take the test. If I need answers I can google it or ask on the Bogleheads. :happy
Slow and steady wins the race.
shell921

Post by shell921 »

I got 33% right-- 3 out of 9.
:x
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:38 pm I got 9 out of 10. I don't think it's a very useful test. Apart from bragging rights.

On #4, I knew the right answer, but I don't see how anyone can think it is important to know whether the first three digits of the SSN are assigned by the applicant's geographical region at the time of application, or by birthplace. That's just a meaningless trivia fact.

Similarly, I don't know why it's important to know whether or not members of Congress pay into Social Security, except possibly to spike various false memes. Basically, I don't expect ever to be a member of Congress, and if I ever expect to be I can cross that bridge when I come to it.

The only question I missed was #8, "what is the approximate average monthly Social Security benefit." I said "$1,500-$2,000." Given that the correct answer is $1,446, I don't think much of that question. The breakpoint between ranges shouldn't have been that close to the correct answer.

It's not even clear why it's important to know the average monthly Social benefit--beyond knowing that it's, say, more than $500 and less than $5,000. But why it's important to know just which side of $1,500 it falls on, is beyond me.

It only makes sense if the point of the question is to find out whether the student has memorized the precise number.

It reminds me of the time I found out that in a certain class of students, almost every student knew that a cubic centimeter was not the same as a milliliter--and yet almost no student had even the slightest idea of how big a cc or ml was. (Yes, it was true at the time. 1 milliliter = 1.000027 cc until 1964). It was a really grotesque example of "forest for the trees." They all knew the unimportant technicality--that they were "different,"--and not the important fact--that they were virtually the same.
:thumbsup

Questions regarding how SS is funded, the bend points, differences in benefits depending on when they are claimed, etc. would be far more relevant.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:38 pm I got 9 out of 10. I don't think it's a very useful test. Apart from bragging rights.

The only one I missed was #8, too.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

I only got a 100% ....

as for trivia, they should ask if any number starts with 666-xx-xxxx, or has xxx-00-xxxx ..... no there's no such numbers.... (so you can use 666-00-1234 as a dummy placeholder if you want)
soccerrules

Post by soccerrules »

had some text anxiety, guessed on a couple based on "most reasonable" answer
9-9. lol

Now back to the grind
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:38 pm The only question I missed was #8, "what is the approximate average monthly Social Security benefit." I said "$1,500-$2,000." Given that the correct answer is $1,446, I don't think much of that question. The breakpoint between ranges shouldn't have been that close to the correct answer.

I missed question #8 as well. I knew the number was somewhere between $1,000 and $2,000, but I could not have sworn as to the number in the hundreds column.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

bengal22 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:58 pm
Income dependent
That's why I said a correct answer was Sometimes, but they didn't give that choice.
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

8 out of 9.
I overestimated the average monthly benefit.
Cheers
SGM

Post by SGM »

I knew that the average SS monthly payment was between $1000 and $1500 a month from reading research papers from Boston College and the University of Michigan. Several universities work with the SSA and report at the research consortium that meets yearly in D.C. One can get notification of new research on retirement via email from these universities.

I alerted a recent acquaintance who will be turning 70 in 14 months that she could receive a spousal benefit with a retroactive payment from March of 2019, as her husband has been receiving SS for 7years. Unfortunately she was unaware that she could have received a spousal benefit for the last 34 months. Her husband is 77 and I am not sure they will get the benefit as the husband seemed a little confused and the wife doesn't handle any financial decisions. I used Mike Piper's Open Social Security calculations with guestimates on both their primary benefit amounts at full retirement age.

I gave them all the information they needed, but I cannot hold their hands. They live 500 miles away from us.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

9 of 9, and I'm still >30 years away from SS. I guess it's never too soon to educate yourself. :beer
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

I call foul on #3. I guess they meant getting unemployment while also getting SS at the same time? It wasn't clear.

I read it as getting unemployment before you claim SS. My reasoning was if you are receiving unemployment benefits, you're not earning a regular wage, which can impact your average indexed monthly earnings when your SS benefit amount is ultimately calculated.

And yeah, I also knew that #8 was wrong, but the correct answer wasn't an option, so I went with the "old" correct answer. :-)

(Actually, even then they weren't always tied strictly to geography. One range used to be for people who worked for the railroad, regardless of where they lived or applied for their card.)
Stay on target...
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

I thought of the first 3 digits of a SSN like part of a routing number on a check, the part which indicates which banking region in the federal system the check is sent to (remember the movie "Catch Me If You Can"?).
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

scrabbler1 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:02 pm I thought of the first 3 digits of a SSN like part of a routing number on a check, the part which indicates which banking region in the federal system the check is sent to (remember the movie "Catch Me If You Can"?).
Except that the first 3 digits are no longer assigned by applicant's geographic area:
On June 25, 2011, the SSA changed the SSN assignment process to "SSN randomization".[32] SSN randomization affected the SSN assignment process in the following ways:

It eliminated the geographical significance of the first three digits of the SSN, referred to as the area number, by no longer allocating specific numbers by state for assignment to individuals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Se ... #Structure

Oh - and the site was only using 6 trackers.
Topic Author
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

I got 9 out of 10. I don't think it's a very useful test. Apart from bragging rights.
You had 10 Qs? Most of us only had 9 Qs.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

retiredflyboy wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:53 pm 7 of 9. FICA and Congress questions I got wrong.

Fun thanks
Exact same result. :arrow: :D
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

Why wouldn't unemployment affect the amount of SS one gets? The year I was unemployed has very little income shown according to SS which makes one of my 35 years less than normal, thus impacting how much I will get down the road.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

8 of 9, wrong answer for the congress question.