2 weeks notice or No Notice ? save 3.5K or Reputation ?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
brolytiz

Re: 2 weeks notice or No Notice ? save 3.5K or Reputation ?

Post by brolytiz » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:09 pm

My first post. Been lurker for about a year.
I'm at the same boat like OP. 8 years with the company (less than 20 persons). Going to work for direct competitor who wanted to buy a company like 5 years ago, but current owner did not wanted to sell and basically runned the company into the ground.
In my 8 years here some of the people were laid off, some quit with or without 2 weeks. My ex-boss was laid off after 40 years with the company (he was met at front door and not let in even to pick up his personal stuff). No explanation was given for employees.
I'm planning to give my 2 weeks even there is a possibility to be fired same minute.
I will loose around $4500 in overtime pay with the old company in the last 2 months, but the project we are working on will end at the end of this year anyway and we would back to regular 8 hours.
But in 8 years I was treated pretty good by my current employer - he paid on time, good bonuses and 3 weeks paid vacation.
2 weeks of unpaid vacation would not end my world :-)

indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:59 pm

For those advocating giving advance notice so as to help in the transition are forgetting that OP plans to go on vacation after giving notice. I don't see how that would help in any transition ... unless of course OP plans to cancel the vacation.
My signature has been deleted.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:15 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:53 pm
Supurdueper wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:37 pm
If you give two weeks notice and they let you go beforehand wouldn’t you be entitled to their severance package and/or unemployment? Check your company’s policy and state laws.
It's an interesting word you chose, entitled.
Sometimes the word can be used without the typical negative connotation associated with it. This is a good example :-)

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:17 am

MtnTraveler wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:09 pm
FlyAF wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:55 am
Eh, I've been in MegaCorps for a couple of decades. I don't have a "network" nor do I "network" and I'm honestly not really even sure what it means. I get it conceptually, but it's just never been my reality. I've never had a LinkedIn profile or anything like that. When I need a job, I apply for listings that I find and have never had a problem coming up with something. I've never reached out to a past co-worker (I wouldn't even know how) to help with a job search nor have I ever had that happen to me, so I guess I'm not in anyone else's "network" either. There's a lot of stuff talked about on this website that I've never actually seen in my world and I've worked for F100 companies that operate all over the world with 100s of thousands of employees and have lived in various areas all over the country. I've also been notified that my job was being outsourced before similar to the OP and just walked out the door after being notified and not had any ill effects either. I don't know, maybe I live in bizzaro-world.
A hiring manager with a different company in the building I work in came looking for me yesterday because based on a resume he had he was pretty sure I could provide contact info on who an applicants manager was while he worked for us. Turns out I was his manager and provided the hiring manager all the information he was seeking before he even called this guy. It happens all the time in my world if you stay with product lines that are similar in nature.
Yes, HR will give little information out since they are in CYA mode to prevent an applicant from suing. But a smart hiring manager will leverage all resources available to them.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:35 am

confusedinvestor wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:30 pm
Really, I cant decide. it so hard.

During my surgery 2.5 yrs back, this same team (my same manager and peers) supported me a lot during my disability time. If feel I owe to them, the notice.

But the new outsourced company is penny pitchers and may let me go asap w/o any severance.

So hard to decide...
confusedinvestor wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:39 pm

But If I notify my manager (same manager I had for last 5 yrs from Company A and now we all in Company B, I don't have good terms with him), he many ask Company B HR to let me go asap w/o any pay and in worst case I may loose 3 weeks of pay vs 3 days of unpaid if I tell him after my return on Oct 10, I am starting new job on Oct 16
Are you talking about the same manager in these two posts? Are you on good terms or not? :confused

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:48 am

I believe in giving two-weeks notice. It’s professional and doesn’t harm your reputation with those in your network. Most great job leads have come to me (and from me) through this network.

The two-week notice allows you to wrap up/transition your responsibilities and for the company to start the job search for your replacement. In your case, if I am reading your posts correctly, your two-week notice period mostly includes scheduled vacation time, some paid and unpaid. So your two-week notice doesn’t fit into my definition of a professional notice.

I don’t think you should cancel your vacation. I think the new job sounds great given the outsourcing of your old job. But I think you should have pushed back your start date at the new company to give a two-week notice that you are actually able to be present at old company to transition. You can’t change any of this. But do give notice before you go on vacation for the benefit of your good manager/co-workers so they can at least start planning for your replacement. If you are let go the day you give notice, hopefully you will get two-weeks pay minus your unpaid PTO. If not, you are out a couple days pay. Next job transition, try to plan better.

Best of luck.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:19 am

indexfundfan wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:04 pm
confusedinvestor wrote:
Excellent analysis. I'm the OP.

Yes, I am confirmed with the new job starting Oct 16. All background check cleared etc.

so I will be in the intl trip for 7 business days, Company B gives 2 floating holidays + 2 accrued days + 3 CA sick days I could take = 7 days or they cant allow sick days and Company B will not pay me for 3 days.

But If I notify my manager (same manager I had for last 5 yrs from Company A and now we all in Company B, I don't have good terms with him), he many ask Company B HR to let me go asap w/o any pay and in worst case I may loose 3 weeks of pay vs 3 days of unpaid if I tell him after my return on Oct 10, I am starting new job on Oct 16.

I am confused what to do really.
The idea of giving a two-week notice is so that your manager can use this time to handover your tasks to another person (at least to me). If you give notice and then go on vacation, it does not help the manager or the rest of the team at all.

If this is true, the idea of giving notice so as to "not burn the bridges" is bogus, since whether you give notice or not, you are not there during the interim to help in the transfer. The manager / team is not going to be happy whether a notice is given or not.

If this is the case, you might as well just give notice when you come back from your vacation.
Your logic is faulty. It isn't a binary choice to EITHER give notice on the day before he leaves on vacation OR the day he gets back from vacation.

If OP is gone for 7 business days and will be back to work on 10/10, then he isn't leaving until 10/1. Monday is 9/23, so he could give his notice tomorrow and have some transition time before he leaves on vacation.
Last edited by cherijoh on Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:21 am

I really don't understand the seemingly common view that employees owe their employers more than their employers owe them. If an employer does not give their employees two weeks notice or severance after firing or laying them off, then I see no purpose in giving them the same notice. And if failing to do so 'harms' one's reputation, I for one would be glad because I would not want to work for an employer that had that expectation of me.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Topic Author
confusedinvestor

Post by confusedinvestor » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:58 am

If I notify tomorrow, Monday it will be 3 weeks notice but in those 15 business days, I will be out 6 days, so still 9 working days I could help the team ...but issue it my manager may let me go tomorrow as well w/o any severance
indexfundfan wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:59 pm
For those advocating giving advance notice so as to help in the transition are forgetting that OP plans to go on vacation after giving notice. I don't see how that would help in any transition ... unless of course OP plans to cancel the vacation.

Topic Author
confusedinvestor

Post by confusedinvestor » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:59 am

Yes, same manager, I am not good terms with. He never returns my phone call.

Both my manager, and my entire IT org is outsourced from the telecom company to this new IT services company
cherijoh wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:35 am
confusedinvestor wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:30 pm
Really, I cant decide. it so hard.

During my surgery 2.5 yrs back, this same team (my same manager and peers) supported me a lot during my disability time. If feel I owe to them, the notice.

But the new outsourced company is penny pitchers and may let me go asap w/o any severance.

So hard to decide...
confusedinvestor wrote:

But If I notify my manager (same manager I had for last 5 yrs from Company A and now we all in Company B, I don't have good terms with him), he many ask Company B HR to let me go asap w/o any pay and in worst case I may loose 3 weeks of pay vs 3 days of unpaid if I tell him after my return on Oct 10, I am starting new job on Oct 16
Are you talking about the same manager in these two posts? Are you on good terms or not? :confused

clip651

Post by clip651 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:10 pm

confusedinvestor wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:58 am
If I notify tomorrow, Monday it will be 3 weeks notice but in those 15 business days, I will be out 6 days, so still 9 working days I could help the team ...but issue it my manager may let me go tomorrow as well w/o any severance
indexfundfan wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:59 pm
So if you want to be nice to your current manager and work mates, give notice tomorrow, as that is almost two weeks of work notice. (You can give them 9 more business days of work if that is mutually agreeable, which is almost two weeks notice in terms of your availability to them).

If you give notice tomorrow, you don't know what they will do, they could walk you out (with or without severence I guess), or thank you for the notice and be happy for your help your last few days of work. Or something in between, I suppose, maybe they have you stay for just a few days, etc. Anyway, it sounds like you don't know what the severence policy is for your company and/or state, so there is a chance you'll lose potential income, but you'd also get a bit more (unpaid) time off if so before your next job if that's the case.

If you resign with no notice on the last day that you can work for them, then you have made your choice. There are varying opinions in this thread on whether that will hurt your reputation. You can take that into account. You can also take into account how well you'll sleep at night afterwards, how happy you'll be with yourself if you make this decision. Only you know that.

Personally I would give the notice now if the amount of potential lost income wasn't going to be disastrous (not going to get evicted, have to go without food, deplete entire emergency fund, etc), and the job itself was tolerable enough to work out the notice. If they don't take you up on it, so be it. You are obviously conflicted enough about this to have a long thread on it, and to be thinking it over for many days. Given a mental conflict like that, I'd take the high road (give notice) to avoid regret about how I treated people and any impact to my reputation. The reputation question is in your title, so clearly that's a factor for you. But you are not me, and this is only my 2 cents.

Please do let us know what you end up deciding, and how your current employer reacts, either way.

best wishes,
cj

Topic Author
confusedinvestor

Post by confusedinvestor » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:19 pm

This.

Thanks Cj.

Yes, I do plan on giving notice tomorrow via email to my manager. and I will followup tomorrow what my manager / outsourced company may take actions on me in next few days.

I'm in CA and I am not on PIP, so I don't know if they could just let me go tomorrow w/o any severance - I don't know all the California rules. Note this outsourced company is a very big IT services company as well.
clip651 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:10 pm
Given a mental conflict like that, I'd take the high road (give notice) to avoid regret about how I treated people and any impact to my reputation. The reputation question is in your title, so clearly that's a factor for you. But you are not me, and this is only my 2 cents.

Please do let us know what you end up deciding, and how your current employer reacts, either way.

best wishes,
cj

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:34 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:21 am
I really don't understand the seemingly common view that employees owe their employers more than their employers owe them. If an employer does not give their employees two weeks notice or severance after firing or laying them off, then I see no purpose in giving them the same notice. And if failing to do so 'harms' one's reputation, I for one would be glad because I would not want to work for an employer that had that expectation of me.
Everyone’s experience is different.

OP has not provided any indication whether his employer does not give two-weeks pay in lieu of notice for layoffs or when walking someone out the door the day the worker gave notice.

My experience is that I have not seen a company that did not give two-weeks pay in lieu of notice when laying off at-will white-collar workers or walking someone to the door on the day they give notice. Some give two weeks or more just to obtain a signed release from the employee. I have seen workers let go “for cause” not receive the two weeks pay.

In my case, not giving two weeks notice would cause “harm” to my professional reputation with my network. I will admit it’s moot for me as I had employment agreements for my last two positions that included separation terms. I also get a lot of calls as an employment reference and have “matched” former business associates with associates that are hiring. I would not recommend or give a reference to anyone who had not given proper notice as any unprofessional behavior on their part if hired would reflect back on me/my reference.

Former Usher

Post by Former Usher » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:43 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
It really is asymmetrical, isn't it? My previous employer cut my pay by 30% with two weeks notice, yet they acted offended when I "only" gave them two weeks notice when I left for another job. They actually felt entitled to four weeks notice for a non-management job where my responsibilities were easily handed over to someone who at the time had little work to do.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:07 pm

Former Usher wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:43 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
It really is asymmetrical, isn't it? My previous employer cut my pay by 30% with two weeks notice, yet they acted offended when I "only" gave them two weeks notice when I left for another job. They actually felt entitled to four weeks notice for a non-management job where my responsibilities were easily handed over to someone who at the time had little work to do.
The places I have worked they offered at least 2 weeks severance and quite often 1 week (or more) per year of service for layoffs (unless of course you were fired for cause). Sometimes the employees were walked out the door the same day, but that didn't impct severance. And for people who left voluntarily, they were paid their 2 weeks notice even if they were walked out the door (usually if they announced they were going to work for a competitor).

I don't think 2 weeks is unreasonable for the OP. Your former manager sounds like a pill.

logiclife

Post by logiclife » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:29 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:43 pm
Here's my thought on the issue. If they were terminating you, would they give you two weeks notice and/or severance pay? If not, then why should you give them two weeks notice of your quitting?

That's exactly I always believed in. Although all my last 7 jobs I gave like week and half notice except for one job where I walked in and sent an email to the HR saying I resigned. Yep, not to my boss.

But, simply put, my family and my priorities come first and if that means giving 0 days notice, I would do that in a heartbeat.

CnC

Post by CnC » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:14 pm

Well they did fire you. I'm not sure how it can hurt your reputation to quit after you were fired.

cashboy

Post by cashboy » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:27 pm

in general, giving two weeks notice is 'professional courtesy'. but, since the OP has been outsourced the dynamics have changed. unless you have been through it you cannot imagine what it is like.

IT outsourcers, in general, do not give notice to employees they eliminate (end the employer/employee relationship). the manager and security show up at your desk with a box and say clean up your stuff and get out - and then they walk you to the door. that happened to so many colleagues and friends (some in tears) that i lost count. is that 'professional courtesy'? no. is that two weeks notice? no.

IT outsourcers, in general, only hired people like the OP because the old company that outsourced them wanted the outsourcer to do so for a period of time to keep things running smoothly - not out of the kindness of their hearts.

personally, when i left a non-outsourced job (fortune 200 companies) i gave two weeks notice as a professional courtesy because i 'had been' treated professionally, and knew i 'would be' treated professionally my last weeks. when i left an outsourced job i gave one weeks notice and no hiring company has ever known or cared.

OP, as a fellow IT worker that was outsourced once, i say do what is best for you and don't look back.

:sharebeer
Last edited by cashboy on Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CD - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:58 pm

Do what is best for you. Companies do the same.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:13 pm

dcabler wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 am
Exactly! Unfortunately the flipside is also all too common. Those with less than stellar reputations still seem to show up again and again, especially at the higher levels in an organization, as it appears that those that do the hiring aren't really interested in digging deeper before hiring.
I guess I've been lucky.

I haven't encountered bad coworkers/managers showing up in future companies where I worked. In one case where I may have happened, I was able to have my concerns heard and the individual wasn't hired.
Don't be a lemming.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:22 pm

AerialWombat wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:48 am
Yeah, this is the part of other responses I don’t get. Does everyone else on BH work in an industry with only 200 people in it or something?
I worked in one of the largest industries in the US. Over the years, I built a large network of friends and former coworkers in the industry. I've checked a lot of references through people I know and respect. And I've given a lot of references.

At least in my industry, good people like to work with other good people. Quite often that means good people they have worked with before.

A good reputation can help keep you on the "good people" list. A bad reputation gets you taken off quickly.
Don't be a lemming.

Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:27 pm

lakpr wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:55 pm
mx711yam wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:39 pm
As a business owner, give us the courtesy of a 2 week notice.

And to respond to one comment, we dont fire without prior notices of poor performance, so that's a mute point.
At my MegaCorp, 18 people were let go yesterday. Zero notice. They were called into a large conf room. Then the head honcho said that the new strategic direction of the company meant these folks will have to be let go, and that was that.

Not even the direct managers of the folks that were let go had any idea and were not present in the room.

Apparently they were given a month's severance, so there is that to be fair.
Was working for one MegaCorp another day. There was a platform team and I was developing a business app for it in strong collaboration with them. Manager of the platform team was pushing extremely hard. Every meeting he was telling 'We need to make March release, no matter what, let's add as extra features A,B,C, you'll receive bonuses, great performance reviews, promotions, just deliver' Team was working 80 hrs per week. After very successful March release I couldn't reach most of the folks and after asking around I heard the following - 70 out of 75 people from platform team were invited to Starbucks and the manager told them - 'Thank you so much for everything you did but there is lack for funding for the platform so your badges are deactivated'

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:29 pm

FlyAF wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:55 am
I don't have a "network" nor do I "network" and I'm honestly not really even sure what it means.

I've never reached out to a past co-worker (I wouldn't even know how)

I guess I'm not in anyone else's "network" either.

I don't know, maybe I live in bizzaro-world.
You don't have friends who are co-workers or were former co-workers? You don't ever go to professional conferences, meet and talk to people? You've never asked anyone for a reference or been asked to be a reference? You've never had a friend call you and ask if you are interested in working with them again?

I find this sad. Or at least unusual. Maybe it's the domain in which you work. In my domain everyone I know has a professional network.
Don't be a lemming.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:34 pm

dcabler wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:04 pm
bampf wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:10 pm
mx711yam wrote:

And to respond to one comment, we dont fire without prior notices of poor performance, so that's a mute point.
Its moot, not mute. Moot point.
Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. It's good advise. :D
I see what you did there. And I liked it alot.
Don't be a lemming.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:35 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:10 pm
bampf wrote:
mx711yam wrote:

I thought it was moo. You know, like a cow’s opinion. It’s moo.
Oh, Noooo, I'm so sorry. It's the MOOPS. The correct answer is, The MOOPS.
Don't be a lemming.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:20 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:35 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:10 pm
bampf wrote:
mx711yam wrote:

I thought it was moo. You know, like a cow’s opinion. It’s moo.
Oh, Noooo, I'm so sorry. It's the MOOPS. The correct answer is, The MOOPS.
I’m sorry—the card says moops.

LawProf

Post by LawProf » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:44 am

willthrill81 wrote:
This x1000.

The OP wants to give the notice, but reasonably fears the company will simply tell him to take a walk right then and there. He owes them nothing in this context. Professional norms cannot be a one way street.

That said, the OP should give the notice since he's so conflicted about it. I just don't think he should be conflicted given the circumstances.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:00 am

confusedinvestor wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:19 pm
This.

Thanks Cj.

Yes, I do plan on giving notice tomorrow via email to my manager. and I will followup tomorrow what my manager / outsourced company may take actions on me in next few days.

I'm in CA and I am not on PIP, so I don't know if they could just let me go tomorrow w/o any severance - I don't know all the California rules. Note this outsourced company is a very big IT services company as well.
clip651 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:10 pm
Given a mental conflict like that, I'd take the high road (give notice) to avoid regret about how I treated people and any impact to my reputation. The reputation question is in your title, so clearly that's a factor for you. But you are not me, and this is only my 2 cents.

best wishes,
cj
Let us know how it goes and Good Luck!

Dave

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:00 am

confusedinvestor wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:19 pm
At a minimum, they must pay out your unused PTO. California is actually particularly sticky about this, in that the law requires the employer to hand you a live check before you leave the building on your separation date. Can't tell you about the one week before your vacation though, I imagine that's up to the individual employer.

MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:14 pm

Any updates?
We plan. G-d laughs.

Topic Author
confusedinvestor

Post by confusedinvestor » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:39 am

Hi Everyone,

Update: I notified my manager yesterday, Monday and I was surprised that he didnot let me go yesterday. He called me back and asked why am I leaving ? I said that I am very concerned with the outsourced company culture and not extending my contract date beyond 1 year. so 'uncertainty' is my reason. He said I am in the top 20% of the 1000+ ppl outsourced and I'd be likely retained beyond the 1 year mark but not guaranteed. He did say ' So you will be working full 10 working days? (not counting the trip days) - I said yes, given my new company joining date is Oct 16. He said he will talk to the upper management of the outsourced company and let me know what will happen to me in next couple days but he seems ok with my trip, and this early notice. He did ask how much I will be making the new company and I shared all the specifics but he did not ask which company I will be going, btw.

The call was surprisingly pleasant and I will hear more from the management of the outsourced company today or tomorrow but I know I will be taking the new job for sure. and very likely, they are ok with my trip and 10 working days before my last date here.
MishkaWorries wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:14 pm
Any updates?

Topic Author
confusedinvestor

Post by confusedinvestor » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:40 am

Hi Dave, I posted my update, glad I took BH advises and gave early notice.
Dave55 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:00 am

Dave

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:45 am

confusedinvestor wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:40 am
Hi Dave, I posted my update, glad I took BH advises and gave early notice.
Dave55 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:00 am

Dave
Sounds good confusedinvestor, best wishes for a smooth transition!

Dave

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:23 am

Since they were in the process of eliminating your job, no notice is needed.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:34 am

confusedinvestor wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:39 am
Hi Everyone,

Update: I notified my manager yesterday, Monday and I was surprised that he didnot let me go yesterday. He called me back and asked why am I leaving ? I said that I am very concerned with the outsourced company culture and not extending my contract date beyond 1 year. so 'uncertainty' is my reason. He said I am in the top 20% of the 1000+ ppl outsourced and I'd be likely retained beyond the 1 year mark but not guaranteed. He did say ' So you will be working full 10 working days? (not counting the trip days) - I said yes, given my new company joining date is Oct 16. He said he will talk to the upper management of the outsourced company and let me know what will happen to me in next couple days but he seems ok with my trip, and this early notice. He did ask how much I will be making the new company and I shared all the specifics but he did not ask which company I will be going, btw.

The call was surprisingly pleasant and I will hear more from the management of the outsourced company today or tomorrow but I know I will be taking the new job for sure. and very likely, they are ok with my trip and 10 working days before my last date here.
Keep us posted on the actions of the outsourced company management.

It sounds like your manager may have been either thinking:
  • I wonder if I should be out there looking? confusedinvestor found a job really quickly! :wink:
  • I wonder what team attrition is going to look like going forward over the year? :annoyed

zeal

Post by zeal » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:57 am

confusedinvestor wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:39 am
Hi Everyone,

MishkaWorries wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:14 pm
Any updates?
Well done. Feel good about your decision and enjoy your travels :happy
Let us know how it all shakes out!