Change the start date of Medicare Part B enrollment?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
zeugmite
Posts: 1093
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:48 pm

Change the start date of Medicare Part B enrollment?

Post by zeugmite » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:56 am

Employer insurance will last longer than expected, is there a way to delay/change the start date of Part B when it has not been active yet? Don't see this discussed anywhere.

HomeStretch
Posts: 4645
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: Change the start date of Medicare Part B enrollment?

Post by HomeStretch » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:41 am

Bump. If no response here, try calling Medicare at 1-800-MEDICARE.

Silk McCue
Posts: 4696
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Change the start date of Medicare Part B enrollment?

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:52 am

Yes - Read this. I found with a simple Google search.

https://www.ehealthmedicare.com/faq/del ... -premiums/

Cheers

Topic Author
zeugmite
Posts: 1093
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: Change the start date of Medicare Part B enrollment?

Post by zeugmite » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:09 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:52 am
Yes - Read this. I found with a simple Google search.

https://www.ehealthmedicare.com/faq/del ... -premiums/

Cheers
Thanks, unfortunately this is about delaying the enrollment. I've already enrolled but coverage hasn't started.

Silk McCue
Posts: 4696
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Change the start date of Medicare Part B enrollment?

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:57 pm

zeugmite wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:09 pm
Silk McCue wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:52 am
Yes - Read this. I found with a simple Google search.

https://www.ehealthmedicare.com/faq/del ... -premiums/

Cheers
Thanks, unfortunately this is about delaying the enrollment. I've already enrolled but coverage hasn't started.
Your original post was, and still is, unclear.

Call Medicare and ask.

Cheers

cashmoney
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:15 pm

Re: Change the start date of Medicare Part B enrollment?

Post by cashmoney » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:13 pm

zeugmite wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:56 am
Employer insurance will last longer than expected, is there a way to delay/change the start date of Part B when it has not been active yet? Don't see this discussed anywhere.

Basically you would be terminating/canceling your part B then when you are ready to enroll use form https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/ ... -L564E.pdf to get a special enrollment in to part B that coordinates with the end of your EGHP coverage.You can apply 3 months out with a Special Enrollment Period in to part B however if you are going to need part B in the next 3 month you would still use Intial Enrollment Period that follows the schedule below:


When will my Medicare coverage start?
If you sign up for Part A (if you have to buy it) and/or Part B in this month: Your coverage starts:
The month you turn 65 1 month after you sign up
1 month after you turn 65 2 months after you sign up
2 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign up
3 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign up

https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-change ... rage-start

Topic Author
zeugmite
Posts: 1093
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: Change the start date of Medicare Part B enrollment?

Post by zeugmite » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:23 pm

cashmoney wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:13 pm
Basically you would be terminating/canceling your part B then when you are ready to enroll use form https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/ ... -L564E.pdf to get a special enrollment in to part B that coordinates with the end of your EGHP coverage.You can apply 3 months out with a Special Enrollment Period in to part B however if you are going to need part B in the next 3 month you would still use Intial Enrollment Period that follows the schedule below:


When will my Medicare coverage start?
If you sign up for Part A (if you have to buy it) and/or Part B in this month: Your coverage starts:
The month you turn 65 1 month after you sign up
1 month after you turn 65 2 months after you sign up
2 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign up
3 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign up

https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-change ... rage-start
Interesting, so if the IEP is not a possibility, then cancelling and re-enrolling now would start coverage in December at the earliest? Or would it be the beginning of the next month (October)?

cashmoney
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:15 pm

Re: Change the start date of Medicare Part B enrollment?

Post by cashmoney » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:31 pm

zeugmite wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:23 pm
cashmoney wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:13 pm
Basically you would be terminating/canceling your part B then when you are ready to enroll use form https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/ ... -L564E.pdf to get a special enrollment in to part B that coordinates with the end of your EGHP coverage.You can apply 3 months out with a Special Enrollment Period in to part B however if you are going to need part B in the next 3 month you would still use Intial Enrollment Period that follows the schedule below:


When will my Medicare coverage start?
If you sign up for Part A (if you have to buy it) and/or Part B in this month: Your coverage starts:
The month you turn 65 1 month after you sign up
1 month after you turn 65 2 months after you sign up
2 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign up
3 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign up

https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-change ... rage-start
Interesting, so if the IEP is not a possibility, then cancelling and re-enrolling now would start coverage in December at the earliest? Or would it be the beginning of the next month (October)?


If you are beyond your IEP when using the part B SEP you have a 3 month rolling window to activate part B.This month you could request oct 1,nov1 or dec 1 as your start date and so forth.

Beehave
Posts: 727
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Change the start date of Medicare Part B enrollment?

Post by Beehave » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:10 pm

If I understand:

1) You were going to retire and are of Medicare age.
2) You therefore signed up for Medicare coverage.
3) The coverage has not started yet
4) Now, your employer has asked you to stay on.
5) You now want to stop the Medicare enrollment and remain under your employer's insurance.
6) You understand that if there is a mess-up and Medicare considers you to have been eligible and not covered by employer's insurance you will be subject to an ongoing annual penalty.

I googled to find commentary on this and found none. I would strongly suggest contacting Medicare to get a clear understanding of what needs to be done to satisfy their requirements. You do not want to screw things up in their perspective.

One possible option worth exloring - - does your employer have a health insurance option for active employees on Medicare? If available, it may be a low cost option and it would allow you to just let nature take its course with your existing enrollment.

Good luck and best wishes. Also, congrats on retaining your skill set and respect of your employer. That's a wonderful accomplishment!

Post Reply