Two Chase Sapphire Reserve Cards or one CSR + 1 other

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
ram

Two Chase Sapphire Reserve Cards or one CSR + 1 other

Post by ram » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:22 pm

Like many others on this board I agree that Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) is a good travel credit card. My wife and I both have one each. This means a net cost of $150/year x 2 for our family. (or $125 x 2 if adjusted for Global entry card fee).

We will always have at least one CSR between the two of us. The points from the (no fee) Chase unlimited card can be redeemed for 2.25% rewards as long as there is one CSR card in the family.

As we gradually ease into retirement we are increasing our travel. Currently we travel 20+ days together on personal vacations. Each one of us travels 10 -12 days a year on business and with higher frequency the other spouse now travels as the vacationing partner.

My wife travels overseas at least once a year and I at least once in 2 years and this is likely to increase. We mostly stay in Marriott or Hilton brand of hotels. Between the two of us we always have one Marriott and one Hilton branded credit cards. These have typically been the lower tier cards which have a net zero cost. (Example: Marriott Bonvoy at $95/year but with one night free which makes it essentially zero cost)

We live in an area where there is no airline hub and so we use all different airlines.

I am wondering if it might be better to have only one CSR in the family and one other premium CC. (Do not want more than two premium cards).Have others on the board used combinations with better optimization than 2 CSRs.

Options include:

1) Hilton Aspire Amex: $450/year.
By itself this appears to be inferior to CSR but is it better than a second CSR.
It gives upto $250 back for airline extras like baggage fee and drinks bought on planes. To me this is about a $50 value as we travel light. It gives $250 resort credit which I will consider as $0 for me. It gives one free nite, say $125 worth. The priority pass is probably worth $25 with already having one CSR. At this point it is a net cost of $250. It also gives diamond status which I can not achieve independently. Diamond status makes you eligible for upgraded rooms if available and therefore not an easily calculable return. How frequently have people got upgraded rooms and suite with Hilton diamond status. This can potentially be a $500+ benefit.

2)Amex Platinum : $550/year.
This gives free Uber rides worth $15 per month and additional $20 in Dec. Does anybody know if it is $15/mo or $200/year. We spend >$200 on Uber but it is $70 each on 3 visits and nothing in between. I live in a rural area without Uber service.

3) Any other.

4) (Added) Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant AmEx: $450
$300 credit, one free nite (say $125 to 150) which makes it essentially free.
Last edited by ram on Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ram

HornedToad

Re: Two Chase Sapphire Reserve Cards or one CSR + 1 other

Post by HornedToad » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:31 pm

There's no reason to have 2 CSR's. You can transfer UR points within a family and just use the Chase Freedom Unlimited for the other user. You can also request a replacement CSR if you want and give it to your wife to use as well so you both have one that just go to the same account.

For other premium cards, I'd only do the CSR and possibly the Hilton Aspire as the new benefits are very solid as a regular card and gives Diamond status. I've been planning/contemplating switching from Starwood/Marriott to Hilton since that card came out.

Otherwise just rotate cards periodically as needed for the signup bonuses.

xb7

Post by xb7 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:13 pm

I agree with just one CSR. That's what my wife and I do --- a CSR in my name, and I just pay for all travel and dining. A Freedom Unlimited in my name and she has a free add-on card for the same account. Only minor downside I can think of is if she wants to travel or eat out without me, we don't get the 3x points, or if she's driving and I'm not in the car there's a sort of AAA benefit to the CSR that she doesn't get. Not worth a $75 add-on CSR in our situation.

Amex platinum: the uber $15 per month is on the basis of "use it this month or lose it", it doesn't accumulate. I don't use Uber, so when I had that car I felt like I was sort of jumping through hoops to remember to order Uber Eats once a month and am glad to be done with that. Ditto the Saks benefit. It fit nice for me in a couple of ways, but I'm happier now without it, life is very simple with just two cards --- well, and the Amazon card for online purchases only --- and my wife is happy to keep things simple that way.

Everyone has a somewhat different situation and priorities and preferences, however, so maybe the Amex card would be good for you!

Topic Author
ram

Post by ram » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:21 pm

HornedToad wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:31 pm
You can also request a replacement CSR if you want and give it to your wife to use as well so you both have one that just go to the same account.
Thanks. Can you get a free replacement or do you mean $75 add on member.
Ram

Topic Author
ram

Post by ram » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:24 pm

xb7 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:13 pm
I agree with just one CSR. That's what my wife and I do --- a CSR in my name, and I just pay for all travel and dining. A Freedom Unlimited in my name and she has a free add-on card for the same account. Only minor downside I can think of is if she wants to travel or eat out without me, we don't get the 3x points, or if she's driving and I'm not in the car there's a sort of AAA benefit to the CSR that she doesn't get. Not worth a $75 add-on CSR in our situation.

Amex platinum: the uber $15 per month is on the basis of "use it this month or lose it", it doesn't accumulate. I don't use Uber, so when I had that car I felt like I was sort of jumping through hoops to remember to order Uber Eats once a month and am glad to be done with that. Ditto the Saks benefit. It fit nice for me in a couple of ways, but I'm happier now without it, life is very simple with just two cards --- well, and the Amazon card for online purchases only --- and my wife is happy to keep things simple that way.

Everyone has a somewhat different situation and priorities and preferences, however, so maybe the Amex card would be good for you!
Thanks. That makes the Amex essentially useless for me. Saks is not where we shop. We are more of Costco shoppers. Our travel budget may be somewhat high but otherwise we live modestly.
Last edited by ram on Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ram

HornedToad

Post by HornedToad » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:39 pm

ram wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:21 pm
HornedToad wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:31 pm
You can also request a replacement CSR if you want and give it to your wife to use as well so you both have one that just go to the same account.
Thanks. Can you get a free replacement or do you mean $75 add on member.
Free replacement. The Authorized member gets their own priority pass and you can transfer to their travel partner airline/hotel accounts, but if you just want a card for spend you can get one.

https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/ ... nal-years/

"If you just need an extra Sapphire Reserve card for travel and dining spending you can get a duplicate card by just calling Chase and asking for an extra metal or plastic version of the card.

Or if you still have the old Chase.com interface you can request a replacement card online. I have 2 Chase logins, 1 only has my personal accounts and has been upgraded to the new interface. The other login has both my personal and business accounts and still uses the old interface. After logging in to an account with the old interface just click on “Customer Center” and then “Card replacement:”

MedSaver

Post by MedSaver » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:24 pm

We have one csr and one amex plat through schwab. The combination works for us because we use the csr for most things (restaurants and hotels mainly). We use both Chase and amex travel portals a lot. Sometimes they have the same properties/benefits/prices and sometimes they're different. If you travel internationally in premium economy/business/first you can get discounted tickets through amex, usually saving 10-20% which can be thousands of dollars on a single trip. Also, if you bank with Schwab you can get $100 or $200 knocked off the annual fee depending on the value of your accounts. My wife likes the Saks credit; sometimes we use it to buy a birthday gift.

The other benefit to having both is that amex has better airport lounges than priority pass. Our local airport has a lounge that would typically require a day pass costing $45/person to access but we get in free with amex. We use that 1-2 times per month so we feel we get our moneys worth.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:46 pm

I recommend:
1 CSR
1 chase ink cash for gas, internet, cell phone, and office supply purchases including gift cards
1 chase freedom for all 5% revolving purchases
1 chase freedom unlimited for everything else at 1.5%

Some think it is a pain to have and use multiple cards and keep track of which one to use, but I kind of enjoy the game.

I used to also keep an Amex bus platinum, but gave it up last year. Although the Centurian Lounge is nice, it is not everywhere and the Priority Pass lounges are good enough.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:58 pm

I’m in the contingent that says the CSR is overrated.

But if you want a CSR a great premium card to pair with it is the US Bank Altitude Reserve. This way you get 12 GoGo inflight WiFI passes, a limited Priority Pass (only 4 free visits vs unlimited), Golbal Entry refund, and 4.5% cashback on travel (redundant with CSR) and mobile wallet (Apple Pay/Samsung Pay). Mobile wallet is accepted at many places now so you’re looking at 3 AR points (worth $0.015 each) at grocery stores, pharmacies, and a variety of stores, and 3 UR points on your travel and restaurant charges. $400 annual fee with a $325 travel credit. Have one spouse have the CSR, the other have the AR, and add the AR to both spouse’s phones so they both have access to the 3 points/mobile wallet spend.

Best thing about AR points is that you can redeem them against things you normally can’t use points for — redeem your AR points for $0.015/each on taxi/Uber rides for example.

essbeer

Post by essbeer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:09 am

Don't forget that Amex Plat includes Gold status for both Hilton and Marriott. We got suite upgrades in Europe even with Gold on Hilton properties about 80% of the time and also got lounge access almost everywhere it was offered.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:25 pm

essbeer wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:09 am
Don't forget that Amex Plat includes Gold status for both Hilton and Marriott. We got suite upgrades in Europe even with Gold on Hilton properties about 80% of the time and also got lounge access almost everywhere it was offered.
I currently have the Aspire card that provides Diamond status but honestly I'm doubtful I've really gotten anything more than I did when I was gold for a long time. I did use the $250 resort credit due to my visits to Scottsdale.

I think you can easily get gold status at Hilton (and thus the free breakfast which is one of the few useful perks from Hiltons) cheaper ways than Amex Platinum (which I also have). The best value of the platinum for many people is the access to Amex lounges especially since using the airline credit is now difficult. I probably only use about half of the Uber credits since they dole them out $15 a month except for $35 in December.

alaskantraveler

Post by alaskantraveler » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:56 pm

a different idea from a seasoned churner...

My partner and I have just one CSR. Every 13 months you rotate out who has the CSR. One person downgrades to the freedom unlimited the other person upgrades to the CSR. The reason to do this is because it is possible to get two $300 travel credits and pay just one $450 annual fee. Basically you will have a few weeks to use up your $300 travel credit once the annual fee hits.

One issue with this is that the partner that has the Freedom can no longer transfer to partners. This has been an issue in a few case when I wanted to use up some United Miles in my partners account, but was unable to transfer miles over to their account.

I think that having an Amex Platinum at the same time can make sense too. This gives you access to Centurion lounges, Uber Credits, as well as different airline and hotel transfer partners that come in handy. There are 3 different flavors, the standard Platinum, the Schwab, and the Ameriprise. With two people you should be able to Churn through all of them over a number of years and rack up lots of Membership rewards points. Remember parter 1 can refer partner to and vice versa for an extra 10k points or so each time. Once each of you have grabbed all of the bonuses, you can continue to cancel and sign up every November alternating between the two of you. Make sure to apply at the end of November for all of your Amex Platinums. This allows you to triple dip the $200 airline credit. You can get $600 in airline credits for one $550 fee.

alaskantraveler

Post by alaskantraveler » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:48 pm

Another thing to add. The Hilton Aspire is literally one of the best cards out there if you can maximize the value. Signing up in November will allow you to triple dip the $250 airline credit ($750 value). You can also likely double dip the $250 resort credit ($500) at month 13. For example, I was able to use the $250 resort credit by getting the Hilton Whistler Resort to buy lift tickets for me. Hilton Diamond status can also be quite valuable if you stay in Hilton properties frequently. Lounge access and upgrades. I've also been able to use the Hilton Diamond status to status match to other programs and get additional value. At month 13 after double dipping the $250 resort credit, downgrade to the no fee version and hope for an upgrade offer in the future.