Whistleblowing / Going Rogue at Work

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
researcher

Re: Whistleblowing / Going Rogue at Work

Post by researcher »

imsomeguy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:57 pm Why do I deserve to get fired?
Your inability to understand the problem is exactly why the company likely wants to fire you...
You have exhibited EXTREMELY poor judgement.
You are a liability to the company.
tractorguy

Post by tractorguy »

In my last few years at megacorp, I reported to Vice-Presidents and now several of my peers are Vice-Presidents. None of us would tolerate unsolicited, anonymous complaints of the kind that you have been making. Our viewpoint was that staff should, "Lead, Follow, or get the Heck out of the way. Throwing rocks from the sidelines accomplishes nothing except get people angry.

I think you have mis-interpreted non-committal form responses from the new VP as encouragement while he wasn't in a position to do anything about you. Now that you are in his reporting line, he wants to find out who you are so that he can get rid of a source of discontent. If you don't show up at the meeting, he's going to try other ways to find out who you are.

In your shoes, I'd be actively looking for another position so that you can move while the economy is good and before your record is tarred by being fired. In the new job, I'd focus on doing everything I could to meet the objectives that my immediate boss and have set and keep my nose out of other people's jobs. If I see a problem with a project, and I think I could contribute to a solution, I'd talk it over with my boss and get his agreement that I could step in and make it part of my objectives. However, if my boss told me to keep my hands off and opinions to myself, I'd respect that and move on.
Lorne
vtjon02

Post by vtjon02 »

imsomeguy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:57 pm
BillWalters wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:41 pm He’s going to fire you. Which is what you deserve.
Why do I deserve to get fired? I've told the (now) president for the past year that the company has been wasting tons of $ and trying to just paint a rosey picture. Also have provided guidance and insight into how to right the ship.

I'm senior enough and close enough to the project that I have 100% the clear picture of what's going on. What's been delivered, what's fallen short, timelines, budgets. Everything - or very damn close. And I'm not just going "above my boss' head". My boss and I often talk about how this project is a disaster.

Everyone knows it's a disaster but technically it's my leadership (ie alignment within the organization) that is delivering this project so if I speak up, you just get shutdown and viewed as the naysayer, it's pretty toxic. So that's why I went to someone senior aligned to a different vertical to address and now that person is president
OP if you worked at my employer you would be let go because you subverted the chain of command and shared confidential information through non-company servers. You also would be viewed as kind of a malcontent that is trying to involve himself in things that were decided way up the corporate chain. At least based on my interpretation of your postings.

I just spent about 15 minutes reading through your other recent posts on this site. It seems you were offered a job last spring that you were contemplating taking, and that more recently you were struggling to land an offer after going on several interviews. In that thread you describe your current position as comfortable but not challenging, and that you don't feel you have been properly rewarded monetarily.

By your own admission, you talk to your supervisor about the blunders of this project and he/she agrees. Why do you think they didn't report it up the chain? Why do you think you are better qualified to report this? And if you do think so, why not do so on the record using your own email account?

My observation is that you seem to not really have a clear idea of your job role, responsibilities and skill set. You also seem very defensive. You (and many others including myself) are a cog in a wheel in a much more sophisticated machine. Integral? Definitely. Replaceable? Absolutely.

In a larger sense this all kind of smells of general unhappiness. Are you depressed?

My suggestions:
1) Cease all anonymous communications
2) Figure out whether you want to leave position or stay
3) Throw yourself into whatever decision you made in #2
4) Think about some kind of counseling or at least trying to figure out what will make you happy.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

ddurrett896 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:26 pm I would have another job lined up with an offer before meeting.

There is no benefit to you to expose yourself. Stay anonymous and maybe even tell the President you're keep a close eye on them too.
ddurrett896,

OP might be fired from the other job too if the news goes out.

KlangFool
mhc

Post by mhc »

You jumped the chain of command.

You most likely violated company security policies by discussing work from a private email address.

You come across as not knowing norms.

You are complaining about others.

You appear to be toxic.

You should be fired.
Casper

Post by Casper »

researcher wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:35 pm
imsomeguy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:57 pm Why do I deserve to get fired?
Your inability to understand the problem is exactly why the company likely wants to fire you...
You have exhibited EXTREMELY poor judgement.
You are a liability to the company.
+1. Judgment, leadership, ability to address problems with character and forthrightness. At least in my Megacorp, often it's not the actual "problem" that gets people in trouble (things go off the rails and we all know that and are expected to handle it), it's how people in leadership positions respond to it. Do they scream and yell? Threaten others? Send anonymous emails to executives? Keeping up an anonymous stream of emails to a more senior person over the course of a year, even if well-intentioned and entirely accurate, would be viewed very negatively from a leadership/company-culture perspective at my employer.
Ethelred

Post by Ethelred »

imsomeguy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:57 pm Why do I deserve to get fired? I've told the (now) president for the past year that the company has been wasting tons of $ and trying to just paint a rosey picture. Also have provided guidance and insight into how to right the ship.

I'm senior enough and close enough to the project that I have 100% the clear picture of what's going on. What's been delivered, what's fallen short, timelines, budgets. Everything - or very damn close. And I'm not just going "above my boss' head". My boss and I often talk about how this project is a disaster.

Everyone knows it's a disaster but technically it's my leadership (ie alignment within the organization) that is delivering this project so if I speak up, you just get shutdown and viewed as the naysayer, it's pretty toxic. So that's why I went to someone senior aligned to a different vertical to address and now that person is president
I'm struggling to understand what you were hoping to achieve. Even if you thought anonymous emails were the right way to address the problem (they weren't), those emails needed to go to someone in the chain of command for the failing project if they were to have any useful impact.

Now that you're in that position, though, I'd go back and review the now-President's replies to try to work out how much trouble you could be in. Did he use any of your information to make positive changes that he wouldn't have made otherwise? Did he provide gossip or confidential information in return, or does it look like HR and/or legal have been involved all along?
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

boogiehead wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:34 am .... I've seen a company who failed twice on a SAP implementation that basically meant a few million dollars went down the drain.
Have seen this too, upper management was in COMPLETE support of the company wasting the money and were brainwashed by world class consultants (rhymes with finzi) that ALL employees were trying to sabotage the project due to their vested interests in the status quo or their ignorance. Dissenters were rounded up, read the riot act to change their ways or dismissed.

Most of the issues raised were legitimate by caring employees that had a lot more at stake then the fleeting executives. Many of them bailed before the pooh hit the fan. The suggestions/dissent proved themselves later when the SAP processed had to be scrapped and redone via manual systems or a work around.

So get another job lined up first if you plan to talk to anybody.
PVW

Post by PVW »

imsomeguy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:41 am So about a year ago I started emailing someone very high up in the company. I created a new Gmail email and started letting them know how messed up things are behind the scenes. There is an extremely large $ project going on and it's been a disaster from Day 1 and I was giving this person a behind the scenes look.
To what end? Are you trying to cleanse the temple? I fail to see any benefit to you except for stroking your ego. Meeting face-to-face has no potential benefits.
Last edited by PVW on Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StandingRock

Post by StandingRock »

imsomeguy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:41 am There is an extremely large $ project going on and it's been a disaster from Day 1 and I was giving this person a behind the scenes look.
This happens all the time. In my experience, anyway (IT). I don't know why you handled it the way you did, this is irregular and strange.

What exactly was your role and responsibilities in respect to this "disaster"?
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

You should hire an actor wearing a wire to go in your place and say he's someone else.
MtnTraveler

Post by MtnTraveler »

Reading that this is a megacorp and that you are somewhere on the leadership ladder (managing and hiring other people) I don't see how this is going to end well. Since nothing illegal is going on you couldn't go through the megacorps' ethics department so you chose to anonymously email this now-president. It sounds like the new president (of the company or the division) is quite a few levels above you so you really disregarded all corporate policy. If this was a medium size company and you were an individual contributor I could see you getting your hand slapped hard but maybe being allowed to keep your job or even getting a new role to help correct the problem. As some level of manager in a megacorp I have a very hard time coming up with a narrative that doesn't end with you getting fired. Your company is paying you to lead/manage a group of people toward objectives following company policy and you decided to disregard all corporate policy and provide anonymous feedback from outside the company.
Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 »

Quite the conundrum
Agree that the job is in danger
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I think OP believes he is helping.

But, the danger is this could blow back on him with great vigor.

At MegaCorp I was occasionally part of what I would consider foolish endeavors. I thought my job was to give my honest opinion, but after that I believed my responsibility was to support the foolish endeavor as best I could. The danger is you simply don't know whose foolish endeavor you might be part of, so you best keep your criticism to yourself.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
z91

Post by z91 »

Not worth it. I know someone that sent an anonymous email to an interviewee telling them the project was in shambles and not to join.

They ended up joining a competitor, and the email was forwarded to the hiring manager and their boss. They found out who sent the email and immediately terminated him.
Topic Author
imsomeguy

Post by imsomeguy »

vtjon02 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:41 pm
imsomeguy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:57 pm
BillWalters wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:41 pm He’s going to fire you. Which is what you deserve.
Why do I deserve to get fired? I've told the (now) president for the past year that the company has been wasting tons of $ and trying to just paint a rosey picture. Also have provided guidance and insight into how to right the ship.

OP if you worked at my employer you would be let go because you subverted the chain of command and shared confidential information through non-company servers. You also would be viewed as kind of a malcontent that is trying to involve himself in things that were decided way up the corporate chain. At least based on my interpretation of your postings.

I just spent about 15 minutes reading through your other recent posts on this site. It seems you were offered a job last spring that you were contemplating taking, and that more recently you were struggling to land an offer after going on several interviews. In that thread you describe your current position as comfortable but not challenging, and that you don't feel you have been properly rewarded monetarily.

By your own admission, you talk to your supervisor about the blunders of this project and he/she agrees. Why do you think they didn't report it up the chain? Why do you think you are better qualified to report this? And if you do think so, why not do so on the record using your own email account?

My observation is that you seem to not really have a clear idea of your job role, responsibilities and skill set. You also seem very defensive. You (and many others including myself) are a cog in a wheel in a much more sophisticated machine. Integral? Definitely. Replaceable? Absolutely.

In a larger sense this all kind of smells of general unhappiness. Are you depressed?

My suggestions:
1) Cease all anonymous communications
2) Figure out whether you want to leave position or stay
3) Throw yourself into whatever decision you made in #2
4) Think about some kind of counseling or at least trying to figure out what will make you happy.
Thanks for this response. Everybody in this company is aware of the blunders of this project (my boss, upwards, everyone) and it's failure to deliver on its goals. It's laughed at. But also people are just happy getting a paycheck and don't wanna rock the boat (I kinda fall into that category). My aligned eadership plays a good political game and finds a way to weasel themselves out of stuff.

Either way appreciate the response and concerns
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

z91 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:01 pm Not worth it. I know someone that sent an anonymous email to an interviewee telling them the project was in shambles and not to join.

They ended up joining a competitor, and the email was forwarded to the hiring manager and their boss. They found out who sent the email and immediately terminated him.
No good deed goes unpunished. But I'm sure he learned a valuable lesson.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

Meeting or not, you're fired. 100%.
Funding secured
Topic Author
imsomeguy

Post by imsomeguy »

DanMahowny wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:16 pm Meeting or not, you're fired. 100%.
0% chance I get fired (if I don't take the meeting). Thanks for the concern
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

imsomeguy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:08 pm

Thanks for this response. Everybody in this company is aware of the blunders of this project (my boss, upwards, everyone) and it's failure to deliver on its goals. It's laughed at. But also people are just happy getting a paycheck and don't wanna rock the boat (I kinda fall into that category). My aligned eadership plays a good political game and finds a way to weasel themselves out of stuff.

Either way appreciate the response and concerns
imsomeguy,

<<But also people are just happy getting a paycheck and don't wanna rock the boat (I kinda fall into that category).>>

Or, they are smarter than you? They know that it is hopeless to do anything about this. You could only get into trouble with no reward.

If you believe that you are the only one sees something, it might be the other way around. You might be the blind one.

KlangFool
esteen

Post by esteen »

This is fascinating. Agree with everyone else: best to not meet, stop the behavior, and work on making yourself happy at this job or happy at another.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Dude you are SO getting fired (that's the best outcome) if they find out who you are.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted, contentious, rehashing the same points). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.