Whistleblowing / Going Rogue at Work

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
imsomeguy

Whistleblowing / Going Rogue at Work

Post by imsomeguy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:41 am

So about a year ago I started emailing someone very high up in the company. I created a new Gmail email and started letting them know how messed up things are behind the scenes. There is an extremely large $ project going on and it's been a disaster from Day 1 and I was giving this person a behind the scenes look.

For the past year we've had pretty good dialogue back and forth and I've been able to give them some good insight. But it's all been anonymous.

About a month ago this person got promoted to President. I recently sent them an email saying congratulations and looking forward to their leadership. I also let them know the situation hasn't changed and I want to know I can continue to help.

Well the person wrote back - and they want to meet in person. Over the year I've given some very harsh feedback of senior leaders (who now are reporting to this new President) so obviously I'm a bit nervous to say yes. Would you all agree to set up a face to face? Anyway I can protect myself here? Thoughts?

cheese_breath

Re: Whistleblowing / Going Rogue at Work

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:48 am

The guy is the president now. If he wants a face to face you better do it.

As far as protecting yourself, I don't know. Just hope he's interested in continuing your previous discourse now that he's in a better position to act on your information.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:48 am

Are you ok with being walked out the door? I'm like Mulder in X-Files......trust no one.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Topic Author
imsomeguy

Post by imsomeguy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:49 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:48 am
.....trust no one.
Someone said the same thing to me early on in my career. Exactly how I feel

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:51 am

cheese_breath wrote:
:confused he has no idea who the OP is, why would his new role matter?

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:54 am

Interesting, I'd be wary as well. Executives tend to defend their own, but at the same time he/she might want to clean it up shop and make a name for themselves.

If you did decide to meet I'd be very prepared for this meeting. Be professional don't drop names unless they start it, make sure you have detailed solutions and a map to bring the project to stability. Its a risk, but might also be an opportunity for advancement.

Assuming their a reasonable person, they would understand that you are doing in the best interest in the company, can have backlash from your direct managers and will accommodate your privacy. At the same time, be prepared to be walked out the door.
Last edited by Andyrunner on Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:55 am

MotoTrojan wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:51 am
cheese_breath wrote:
Either he wants to continue the discourse since he is now in a position to act on the information, or he wants to fire a malcontent. Either way, you don't turn down an invite from the president.
Last edited by cheese_breath on Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 am

cheese_breath wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:55 am
MotoTrojan wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
Either he wants to continue the discourse since he is now in a position to act on the information, or he wants to fire a malcontent.
That is obvious, but does not explain why the OP should accept the face to face time unless they are sure it is not the latter. If they refuse, at-least they know they aren't getting fired.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 am

MotoTrojan wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 am
cheese_breath wrote:
MotoTrojan wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
Either he wants to continue the discourse since he is now in a position to act on the information, or he wants to fire a malcontent.
That is obvious, but does not explain why the OP should accept the face to face time unless they are sure it is not the latter. If they refuse, at-least they know they aren't getting fired.
See the edit to my previous post. You don't turn down an invite from the president. That itself might result in getting fired.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:59 am

cheese_breath wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 am
MotoTrojan wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
MotoTrojan wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
See the edit to my previous post. You don't turn down an invite from the president.
Your edit doesn't change anything for me, sorry. You are saying this person is now the boss, so you better say yes. The OP is asking us if this is a smart decision, because there is a risk of being fired/reprimanded. You aren't addressing that at all, just stating the obvious and then saying the OP has no choice, when they of course do.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:59 am

I think it depends. Offering suggestions for improvement is not the same thing as whistleblowing or "going rogue". Offering a better approach to solve a problem is very different than fraud (or worse). Some companies value innovation more than others. What do you want from him? I wouldn't do anything further until you can answer that question.

Do you want to be put in charge and fix the problems with the accountability that goes with it or do you want to raise issues for others to take action on?

If you meet with him you have to assume your management chain will find out. If you don't want to take it to the next step you should delete the gmail account. Given you've had a number of emails with him if he were to forward those to others in the company it might be very easy to figure out who you are. You may not have the anonymity you think you have.

researcher

Post by researcher » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:02 am

cheese_breath wrote:
You don't turn down an invite from the president. That itself might result in getting fired.
The president doesn't know who the OP is, so how could he fire him?

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:03 am

MotoTrojan wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:59 am
cheese_breath wrote:
MotoTrojan wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
MotoTrojan wrote:

See the edit to my previous post. You don't turn down an invite from the president.
Your edit doesn't change anything for me, sorry. You are saying this person is now the boss, so you better say yes. The OP is asking us if this is a smart decision, because there is a risk of being fired/reprimanded. You aren't addressing that at all, just stating the obvious and then saying the OP has no choice, when they of course do.
The last place I worked before retiring turning down an invite from the president might get me fired.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:04 am

If the OP sent his anonymous emails from outside of the company's system, he can remain anonymous. If it were me, I would remain so. Trust No 1
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

bowest

Post by bowest » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:09 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:04 am
If the OP sent his anonymous emails from outside of the company's system, he can remain anonymous. If it were me, I would remain so. Trust No 1
This is almost certainly not true if anything was done on a company laptop or equipment (even from safety of home or outside wifi). You should presume every keystroke and site visit has been recorded while using company equipment/laptop (gmail, https, encryption won't matter if on company network or equipment). If president wants to know who it is, he/she may know already.

researcher

Post by researcher » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:12 am

bowest wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:09 am
This is almost certainly not true if anything was done on a company laptop or equipment (even from safety of home or outside wifi). You should presume every keystroke and site visiit has been recorded while using company equipment/laptop (gmail, https, encryption don't matter). If president wants to know who it is, he/she knows already.
Surely the OP is smart enough to have not used company equipment when sending a year's worth of anonymous emails to a high level executive.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:13 am

cheese_breath wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:03 am
MotoTrojan wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:59 am
cheese_breath wrote:
MotoTrojan wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:

The last place I worked before retiring turning down an invite from the president might get me fired.
Unless the OP was thoughtless enough to use company hardware to access this e-mail account, then there is no way they should get detected without it being their decision.

Topic Author
imsomeguy

Post by imsomeguy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:14 am

bowest wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:09 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:04 am
If president wants to know who it is, he/she may know already.
0% chance (or almost 0%) that the President knows who I am. Definitely not don't with work hardware nor on works wifi network. I've also done other things to cover my tracks. Nothing criminal obviously just very anonymous.

HornedToad

Post by HornedToad » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:21 am

I would meet. You want changes done and improvements in it or you would not have sent emails. Now he has the power to make the changes and probably thank you for feedback.

Not meeting makes you look overly paranoid and would discount what you've been communicating for the last year.

You chose to email this executive for a reason.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:21 am

imsomeguy wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:41 am
So about a year ago I started emailing someone very high up in the company. I created a new Gmail email and started letting them know how messed up things are behind the scenes. There is an extremely large $ project going on and it's been a disaster from Day 1 and I was giving this person a behind the scenes look.

For the past year we've had pretty good dialogue back and forth and I've been able to give them some good insight. But it's all been anonymous.

About a month ago this person got promoted to President. I recently sent them an email saying congratulations and looking forward to their leadership. I also let them know the situation hasn't changed and I want to know I can continue to help.

Well the person wrote back - and they want to meet in person. Over the year I've given some very harsh feedback of senior leaders (who now are reporting to this new President) so obviously I'm a bit nervous to say yes. Would you all agree to set up a face to face? Anyway I can protect myself here? Thoughts?
Was this person originally a position of responsibility for this project (at some higher up level) before this person became president? If so, did anything change based on the feedback you gave?
Two reasons not to:
1. If the person did have some responsibility for this project and nothing changed, all you're doing is shooting yourself in the foot. There was a reason, after all, that you chose to do this anonymously. Why would it change become this person is now president?
2. As many others have already said - trust no one. I once worked in a culture where backstabbing was rampant and encouraged from the CEO. Never again and certainly all comments and feedback I give to anybody but my direct reports is highly measured these days because of it.

Cheers.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:22 am

I would not go!

You can continue giving feedback if you want to, but DO keep in mind the comment above about how what you are saying/what you know may well start to identify you, especially as more people see the emails...
Also, depending upon how you registered your outside email account (even if on totally "outside equipment"), some top IT folks may be able to track you, or close enough to guess, unless you used some software that can *really* make you anonymous (perhaps not to NSA, but good enough otherwise, etc.).

But the President's FIRST responsibility is to the company and him/herself, and *NOT* to you.
Even if "things get fixed", they will know that "you might go rogue/whistleblow again"... so why keep you around just waiting for that time to happen?

I do not see any good coming of this, not for you.

Good luck!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:26 am

Before meeting with President please make sure you have your resume up to date and that you have strong networking contacts. There are ways to improve an organization but sending anonymous e mails is not the way to do it. One should follow the chain of command and report to your boss . But I would decline offer and start communicating with your boss and improve what you have control over
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:29 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Are you ok with being walked out the door? I'm like Mulder in X-Files......trust no one.
+1. HR will be at this meeting along with security. If you really want to meet this person, do it off the work site, in a public location. Personally, I would not do it. You’d better start looking for a job pronto, and stop sending anonymous emails. Stop communicating, period. If you don’t like it there, get out!
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

junior

Post by junior » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:30 am

Just going by the few details we have you aren't actually a whistleblower or someone who has gone rogue. You are just someone who has been anonymously going over your bosses head. How important is this job to you? It's hard to see the upside to going to the meeting.

UpsetRaptor

Post by UpsetRaptor » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:36 am

Totally doesn't seem worth the risk. There's a non-zero chance you're walking straight into a layoff. Not saying that's the case, but even if it's "only" a small chance....

jpelder

Post by jpelder » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:41 am

If you're willing to leave, possibly involuntarily, you can take the meeting. I basically see two possibilities of outcome: One, the new President wants to root out the problems, and wants to pick your brain about what you've seen. Two, he's not willing to make the changes, and wants to get rid of a malcontent. I have no idea about what the relative odds of these possibilities are.

researcher

Post by researcher » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:42 am

imsomeguy wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:41 am
I started emailing someone very high up in the company...letting them know how messed up things are behind the scenes.
I recently sent them an email saying congratulations and ...I also let them know the situation hasn't changed and I want to know I can continue to help.
Over the year I've given some very harsh feedback of senior leaders...
I think you should probably meet with him, although based on what you've shared above, I wouldn't be thrilled at doing so.

Nothing has changed/gotten better in the past year since you began ratting out information, correct?

I doubt he's now suddenly willing to change up leadership structure/business processes/ect because one rogue dude went above his manager's head to b*tch & moan about "how messed up things are."

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:42 am

UpsetRaptor wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:36 am
Totally doesn't seem worth the risk. There's a non-zero chance you're walking straight into a layoff. Not saying that's the case, but even if it's "only" a small chance....
While I agree there is at least some chance he just wants to get rid of the mole in his company, he may want to reward you or at least continue your role of giving him inside info. If you don't mind finding a new job, I'd take the risk. It could be a big reward. Or, you could be looking for a new job.
Pretty much I agree with jpelder.
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:44 am

This whole thing is crazy. Your #1 job as an employee is to make your boss look great to his boss. You should have been working with your direct supervisor to address these issues. If the direct supervisor was not willing to work with you to come to a resolution you should either have kept your mouth shut and fell in line or looked for employment elsewhere.

dziuniek

Post by dziuniek » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:48 am

I'd go to the meeting because that could be fun.

- either get walked out, - oh well since you're obviously not happy there OR ...
- make a friend pretty darn high up

No guts, no glory.

Just refresh your resume and make sure your emergency fund is in fact funded.

dziuniek

Post by dziuniek » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:49 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:44 am
This whole thing is crazy. Your #1 job as an employee is to make your boss look great to his boss. You should have been working with your direct supervisor to address these issues. If the direct supervisor was not willing to work with you to come to a resolution you should either have kept your mouth shut and fell in line or looked for employment elsewhere.
Why?

You could argue that making your boss look bad is one way of getting his job. Tell me you haven't seen that happen before. Not that I am advocating it. :twisted:

DippityDoo

Post by DippityDoo » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:52 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:22 am
I do not see any good coming of this, not for you.
I agree. Unfortunately. Unless you know the new president to be a person of utmost integrity, I wouldn't meet with him. You have passed along information about a problem. It may be time to step back now and see if the new president takes action to clean up what you've reported. I also think it's very likely that your e-mails may have revealed clues about your identity, so I wouldn't assume you are anonymous at this point.

Best wishes!

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:52 am

dziuniek wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:49 am
Jags4186 wrote:
Why?

You could argue that making your boss look bad is one way of getting his job. Tell me you haven't seen that happen before. Not that I am advocating it. :twisted:
Maybe drop some hints to the President that your boss is the mole. Just don't cry when (s)he gets promoted to VP.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:53 am

dziuniek wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:49 am
Jags4186 wrote:
Why?

Only if your boss is actually doing a bad job. The OP has been telling this “senior executive” that this huge project is a clusterf. A year is plenty of time for a huge project clusterf to become blatantly obvious to the powers that be without inside information and take action. Yet it seems that nothing has been done.

It’s my experience that lots of underlings think their bosses are doing a poor job, regardless of whether that’s true or not.

Hulu

Post by Hulu » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:53 am

Seems like cons outweigh the pros if you would like to keep your job. I’m not even sure what the purpose of the emails was. If you want the job keep at it and enjoy it. If you think is going to get you a big promotion and you can replace this job easily then maybe it’s worth the chance.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:56 am

OP,

If I am the president, I would fire you immediately. I cannot trust you not to stab me in my back in the future.

KlangFool

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:58 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Agree with this except first statement. #1 job is to excel at your job in order to push the current project to success. Manager will look good so first sentence is indeed fulfilled. Positive suggestions are good, complaints are not.

Good luck OP. Start looking for other work.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:05 am

50% chance of promotion
50% chance of firing

are you feeling lucky?

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:07 am

I agree that the risk is too high to meet face to face. And it's not just the risk of you losing your job. There is a real risk of you losing your entire career. More than one whistleblower has discovered that no other employer wants to hire them.

Since this is all anonymous, I would flat out ask him why he wants to meet. I can think of no other realistic reason other than to fire someone who he believes is a discontented employee. He does not need to meet with you in order to act on the information you've provided for the last year.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Teague

Post by Teague » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:09 am

I would not agree unless you were very close to quitting anyway. I think at best you will get a lecture to follow the chain of command, at worst you will be fired and possibly have your reputation tarnished industry-wide.

Nobody likes a snitch. Nobody trusts a snitch.

You may think the new president would like you continuing under "deep cover" to keep him/her informed of things. But I really doubt that. Your new president already has plenty of trusted confidants throughout the organization; that's how he/she got to be president.

I'd bet the new president is wondering what you will do next. If you disagree with the president's actions, will you anonymously complain to the CEO / board of directors? Will you anonymously launch a negative social media campaign? Will you foment discontent within the ranks?

You may see yourself as a hero. Others likely will see you as a turncoat.
Semper Augustus

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:10 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:07 am
I agree that the risk is too high to meet face to face. And it's not just the risk of you losing your job. There is a real risk of you losing your entire career. More than one whistleblower has discovered that no other employer wants to hire them.

Since this is all anonymous, I would flat out ask him why he wants to meet. I can think of no other realistic reason other than to fire someone who he believes is a discontented employee. He does not need to meet with you in order to act on the information you've provided for the last year.
Interesting point, hadn't thought about the risk extending beyond this job.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:13 am

Teague wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:09 am
I would not agree unless you were very close to quitting anyway. I think at best you will get a lecture to follow the chain of command, at worst you will be fired and possibly have your reputation tarnished industry-wide.
Teague,

I disagreed. If this new spreads, OP could be fired from the new job too. It is a career-ending move. I had worked 30+ years across multiple employers, industries, and countries. I always come across people that know me or know somebody that know me.

KlangFool

Topic Author
imsomeguy

Post by imsomeguy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:14 am

A couple additional comments

- I'm only peripherally involved in this project essentially I'm a stakeholder driving requirements and it's the team delivering that's failing

- My boss is closer to being involved in the project, but even the shapers of the project are a level or 2 above him

- the (new) President hasn't been closely involved in the project but they know it's been a drain on the organization and has prevented the company from doing other things.

Mlm

Post by Mlm » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:15 am

KlangFool wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:56 am
OP,

If I am the president, I would fire you immediately. I cannot trust you not to stab me in my back in the future.

KlangFool
+++++a million times

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:16 am

imsomeguy wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:14 am
A couple additional comments

- I'm only peripherally involved in this project essentially I'm a stakeholder driving requirements and it's the team delivering that's failing

- My boss is closer to being involved in the project, but even the shapers of the project are a level or 2 above him

- the (new) President hasn't been closely involved in the project but they know it's been a drain on the organization and has prevented the company from doing other things.
Why are you such a busybody? It is not your job!

KlangFool

6Pack

Post by 6Pack » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:18 am

I would be interested to know the circumstances of the previous president’s departure - retirement? medical issue? fired?

I wouldn’t go. Here’s why: (1) you aren’t a whistleblower nor have you “gone rogue”, so you have no legal protection; (2) your comments/suggestions seem to have had limited impact on the project, so you are probably viewed as a malcontent/complainer; (3) you have remained anonymous so far, why ruin it; (4) even if you do get promoted because of it, all of the managers below you will have zero respect for you and they’ll set you up to fail; (5) what would an in-person meeting accomplish that cannot be accomplished via e-mail - surely any detailed questions could be asked via e-mail.

Just my $0.02, but I wouldn’t go because it’s more likely to result in harm than good.

sergeant

Post by sergeant » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:20 am

You're not a whistleblower, you are a malcontent that will be fired when found out. Don't take the meeting and quit sending "secret" communications to those not in your chain of command. Do let us know what you decide.
Lincoln 3 EOW! AA 40/60.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:21 am

The only question that matters is why you took this path in the first place.
Last edited by 3504PIR on Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

megabad

Post by megabad » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:22 am

imsomeguy wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:14 am
it's the team delivering that's failing
Wait. I thought you said you were a whistleblower? As in, you were disclosing something illicit going on? What do you mean by "failing"?

If there is something illicit going on, it seems like you have already made the moral decision to stand up against this so I would meet with the President (after taking precautions obviously). If you are a whistleblowing regarding violation of law you are a protected class anyway.

If you are just complaining about people not doing their jobs and this isn't whisteblowing than I don't understand the whole premise. I guess I would probably just quietly resign and cut all communication. That doesn't seem like a healthy situation for anyone.

Teague

Post by Teague » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:23 am

KlangFool wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:13 am
Teague wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:09 am
Teague,

I disagreed. If this new spreads, OP could be fired from the new job too. It is a career-ending move. I had worked 30+ years across multiple employers, industries, and countries. I always come across people that know me or know somebody that know me.

KlangFool
KF,

I agree. By close to quitting, I meant quitting forever. Retiring would have been a better word choice.
Semper Augustus