Help me decide if I should payoff low rate variable interest student loan

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
JRB22

Help me decide if I should payoff low rate variable interest student loan

Post by JRB22 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:09 pm

My student loan currently has a duration of 3.5 years remaining, with a balance of $41,500 and a variable interest rate that is sitting at 2.83%. I had planned to knock the whole thing off by now, but with interest rates being so low, I am no longer sure if it makes sense financially to do so. I am interested to see what others on the forum think. Thanks!

Phineas J. Whoopee

Re: Help me decide if I should payoff low rate variable interest student loan

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:24 pm

The answer boils down to what else you would do with the money if you didn't use it on the loan. Paying it off gives you a guaranteed nontaxable 2.83% for the remainder of the term, adjusted for any available tax deductions of course. If you have a better safe after-tax opportunity it would be worth investigating. Liquidity matters as well.
PJW

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:26 pm

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:24 pm
The answer boils down to what else you would do with the money if you didn't use it on the loan. Paying it off gives you a guaranteed nontaxable 2.83% for the remainder of the term, adjusted for any available tax deductions of course. If you have a better safe after-tax opportunity it would be worth investigating. Liquidity matters as well.
This

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:43 am

Are you maxing out all tax-advantaged accounts available to you? If not, it most likely doesn't make sense to pay off the student loan early.