New CenturyLink service: hard credit inquiry required? Not informed about it.

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Cruiser

New CenturyLink service: hard credit inquiry required? Not informed about it.

Post by Cruiser » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:48 pm

I'm looking to switch from Comcast at $45/month for 60mbps (requires yearly haggling with Comcast to get back on a promo, resulting signing a contract) to CenturyLink Fiber at $65/month (for life) for 1gig speeds.

Was on the phone with CenturyLink on the commute home and they mentioned wanting to look to make sure I didn't have any outstanding utility bills, etc. Did not mention anything about a hard inquiry. They asked for my SSN or driver's license if I wasn't comfortable with giving out SSN - gave them my driver's license. Put me on hold to check with their credit department, which asked me to lift the freeze on my TransUnion report. I said I could do it tomorrow but not at the moment as I was driving, so they're going to call me back tomorrow.

When I got home, I was surprised to see I had a notice from Credit Karma that a hard inquiry was attempted on my credit by CenturyLink. A couple things:
  1. I didn't know someone could do a hard inquiry with just a driver's license? I thought they had to have your SSN.
  2. They mentioned nothing about a hard inquiry. Annoyed. Thankful I had my credit frozen.
  3. Why do they need to pull my credit, if the service I am getting from them is prepaid? There's no risk to them.
  4. Should I attempt to fight it and ask for the service without it, or just lift the freeze and let them hit my credit? Not needing a mortgage in the next year or so, currently have 3 hard inquiries. FICO scores in the high 790s/low 800s.

mhalley

Re: New CenturyLink service: hard credit inquiry required? Not informed about it.

Post by mhalley » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Why do you care if your credit score drops by 5 to 10 points for a couple of months? Many utility type companies do this. Its not right, but it is what it is.
From Experian.com:
Hard inquiries remain on your credit report for two years, but usually only impact your credit scores for a few months. Typically, the impact of a hard inquiry will drop off dramatically after a month or two because there will either be a new account entry, which then becomes the key risk indicator, or there is no new account, which means the inquiry doesn't represent any risk.
Why do you think the dealer wants your drivers licence when you take a test drive?
Car dealers commonly ask for and photocopy your driver’s license before they’ll let you take one of their cars out for a test drive, says Charles Cyrill, a spokesman for the National Automobile Dealers Association. If you encounter this situation and are worried that your privacy may be compromised, explicitly tell the salesperson that you are not authorizing use of your license to pull your credit report.
Here is an article on using drivers licence to get credit report:
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/new ... /index.htm