Need to get a car in a hurry.

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
seek1227

Need to get a car in a hurry.

Post by seek1227 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:31 am

Hi Folks,

My Camry fuel tank is leaking. Since it is an old model, 2003, and last month spent about 500 dollars on replacing front brake pads and fuel line, DS wants to replace the car (fuel tank replacement might cost close to a grand). Though might still have to replace the tank if trying to resell it.

Since my timeframe is really short I'm looking at below options. Budget for another car is 25k give or take.

1. Get a CPO Lexus- family wants a sort of luxury car. Though open to other suggestions.
2. I'm thinking about getting a short term lease - maybe one year or so - gives me some time to push the timeframe for purchase.
3. Get a short term rental - anywhere from couple of weeks to a month. I think the cheapest option will be about $25/day?

Any advice is appreciated on options above.

Btw - have another car that might need replacement in 2+ years or so.

HomeStretch

Re: Need to get a car in a hurry.

Post by HomeStretch » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:40 am

It makes sense to rent, car pool or use a ride share service like UBER for a short period of time while you replace the Camry. Have you looked at new cars in the $25k range like a Honda Accord? You can be driving a new car in under a week.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:49 am

seek1227 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:31 am
Hi Folks,

My Camry fuel tank is leaking. Since it is an old model, 2003, and last month spent about 500 dollars on replacing front brake pads and fuel line, DS wants to replace the car (fuel tank replacement might cost close to a grand). Though might still have to replace the tank if trying to resell it.

Since my timeframe is really short I'm looking at below options. Budget for another car is 25k give or take.

1. Get a CPO Lexus- family wants a sort of luxury car. Though open to other suggestions.
2. I'm thinking about getting a short term lease - maybe one year or so - gives me some time to push the timeframe for purchase.
3. Get a short term rental - anywhere from couple of weeks to a month. I think the cheapest option will be about $25/day?

First, fix the Camry. Then decide next steps.

student

Post by student » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:55 am

$25,000 will get you a 70,000 miles 2013-2014 RX 350 or 2016-2017 ES 350. Or you can get a new Camry or RAV4. Toyota clearance event ends today. I would suggest go take a look today to see whether there is anything acceptable.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:04 am

HomeStretch wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:40 am

It makes sense to rent, car pool or use a ride share service like UBER for a short period of time while you replace the Camry. Have you looked at new cars in the $25k range like a Honda Accord? You can be driving a new car in under a week.
+1

My car was totalled on a Monday morning on the way into work and I picked up my current car on the same Saturday.

I don't think the OP has the leisure to find the perfect CPO luxury car. Maybe save that for the next car?

I think the best rate on a rental would be off airport. In Charlotte, the rental car places are located close to all the car dealerships and repair places which are bunched together. When my car was in the autobody shop a few years ago, the best rate for a stripped down rental was $30/day.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:07 am

What is the value of the Camry is you got it fixed and sold it on Craigslist? Camry's are a high demand car that hold their value very late in life. If it makes sense I would fix it and then sell it while searching for something to buy.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:04 am

I once had to buy a replacement car in a hurry when I was relocating across the country and I ended up buying a Camry at Hertz rental car sales lot and that worked out well for me. It varies by model but you can sometimes find them that are still under the full factory warranty. I occasionally check their inventory online and sometimes they have good deals when they need to move cars, but sometimes they seem way overpriced so you may or may not be able to find good deals there.

There have been threads that you can look up about buying a used rental car and lots of posters have had good experiences but some people are convinced that every rental car has been abused. I think they are little different than any other used car in that you need to have them checked by a mechanic. At least with a rental car you know why they are selling it.
seek1227 wrote:
When looking at different car models be sure to look at the details of the safety features. They have added a lot of advanced safety features in the last few years and in 2018 Toyota made many of them standard on all their cars. It is a personal choice but if I was going to spend $25K on a car that I would likely keep for 10+ years then I would want one with lots of safety features even if I had to compromise on the price or give up some of the luxury features.

You might also check out a CPO 2018 Toyota Avalon to see what they are selling for. One of them might check the "luxury" box and also have the advanced safety features. A 2017 might also have some of the advanced safety features.

You could also get a new Camry for your $25K budget and you might be able to get a good deal on a 2019 clearance.

One thing to be aware of is that cars generally get larger over time. I bought a 2018 Corolla last year that is almost the same size as an early 2000s Camry that I had. That is not a luxury car so it probably would not be right for you but be sure you look at the numbers of the actual vehicle size and not just your impression of what size a model is.

Here is a post I did a while back about how I bought a new car on the internet that might be of use.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=239526
Last edited by Watty on Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:07 am

We are probably in need of a car as well.

Unless something really good pops up soon, we will probably get an older Camry on Craigslist.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:11 am

Forget the “sort of” luxury car and get the real thing:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... ity=c24394

bgf

Post by bgf » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:18 am

isn't the 50-60k range when all these luxury brands (bmw, MB, audi, lexus) have lots of expensive maintenance items coming due? or is that just a rumor? if you buy one of these cars with that kind of mileage, are you going to have to spend several thousand in maintenance and service within a year or so?
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

delamer

Post by delamer » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:59 am

Go with your option #3, and get a rental for a couple weeks to give you time to shop around.

If you have a CarMax nearby, that’s a good option to check out several vehicles at one time. The website shows all vehicles available at all lots around the country.

There are some CarMax haters on this forum, but if you do your research on edmunds.com and kbb.com ahead of time (like you’d do before visiting any other dealer) then you can determine if any given vehicle is listed at a fair price. They sell luxury vehicles, although the type of inventory varies by location.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:04 am

Rent a car for a week and buy a new one. It really should only take 2-3 days to decide what 3-5 cars you want to test drive, do it, and then start the email chain to get the best price. It only takes forever when you want it to.

A used Lexus is a fine choice. I don't know of CPO adds much value. I might save the 1000 bucks or so premium for future repairs that might not show up. Those lexus's are about as reliable as a car gets (i.e. you aren't buying a BMW or Mercedes) and in general the added cost is more from higher dealer prices than needed repairs and expensive maintenance items.

If you trade in your car, I wouldn't fix it. You will not get your money back. As a private sale, you might not be able to sell it easily without doing the fix.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:29 am

The fastest and safest way to buy a car in that budget is to (1) rent for a week and (2) buy a new commodity sedan from a reliable make (Toyonda, etc.).

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:50 am

You have to fix the Camry anyway in order to sell it. So do that. Then decide if you want to keep driving it, or take your time shopping for a replacement.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:16 am

Fix current car, then pressure is off for speed of buying newer car.

It's unfortunate that you had repairs last month and now need a further repair, but from the description, the repairs are probably unrelated and it's just bad luck.

delamer

Post by delamer » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:21 am

lazydavid wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:50 am
You have to fix the Camry anyway in order to sell it. So do that. Then decide if you want to keep driving it, or take your time shopping for a replacement.
Why does the car need to be fixed in order to sell it?

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:40 am

I would imagine it doesn’t need to be fixed, but you would get a better price if it is repaired. The buyer would want to knock some $$$ amount for inconvenience off the price for having to go through the hassle of getting it fixed and still not having a usable car after buying it. Plus, he would be thinking if this is defective, what else is wrong with it? I’m going to low ball the heck out of the price.
You might try Carvana.
Last edited by mhalley on Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:41 am

delamer wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:21 am
lazydavid wrote:
Who's going to buy a car that's dripping gasoline all over the ground?

delamer

Post by delamer » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:43 am

lazydavid wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:41 am
delamer wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
A dealership or auto repair shop that can fix it at the wholesale cost and sell it at retail.

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:01 pm

IIRC for that year most likely cause is the fuel filler neck/pipe, it rusts out and leaks gas which cause high emissions and cause the check engine light to come on...you'll have to fix it anyway to sell it for the best price (otherwise only a junkyard will take it for parts)

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:31 pm

lazydavid wrote:
delamer wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
I have sold some completely broken down cars for nearly $1k on CL before. Blown head gaskets, transmissions out, you name it.

njdealguy

Post by njdealguy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:45 pm

As an option for fixing, briefly searched online and can see a fuel tank for your car model can be had for $150-$200 online or from a auto parts store. Can do that and find an independent or mobile mechanic through craigslist or elsewhere. Am guessing this replacement can be done for $400-$500 max including parts & labor while any repair shop will surely charge > 1k. I've saved tons over the years doing various car repairs this way versus going to a retail repair shop (such as replacing brakes/rotors, alternator, AC compressor, etc) as am not mechanically inclined myself.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:57 pm

seek1227 wrote:

Mightly suspicious that the fuel tank leaks soon after someone touched the fuel line. Who did the replacing? Is the leak in the fuel line connection? Did they puncture the fuel tank while working on the fuel line?

Uber and Turo.com so you're not in such a hurry. What's the frequency and distance of use? If you want a Lexus, CPO isn't necessary IMO, and just buy from private party.

Rudedog

Post by Rudedog » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:01 pm

I had a Camry with leaking gas tank. Mechanic used some type of resin, on the outside of the tank, to plug the leak. That was several years ago, it hasn't leaked yet. He said, "Let's try this and see if it works." It worked. I still drive that car.

cashboy

Post by cashboy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:49 pm

fwiw, i am for option '4' :D

which is: determine the cause of the leak and see if it can be addressed without replacing the tank.

long story short, i once had gas leaking from under one of my cars some years ago. i thought oh no! i will need a new gas tank!

turned out all i needed was to replace 2 short pieces of rubber hose that connected the gas tank to the metal fuel lines.

you might get lucky.

good luck!

:happy
FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX - CD - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:07 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:29 am
The fastest and safest way to buy a car in that budget is to (1) rent for a week and (2) buy a new commodity sedan from a reliable make (Toyonda, etc.).
Yep, the immediate practical solution to gain time is to rent a car for awhile. People do that sort of thing all the time.

Topic Author
seek1227

Post by seek1227 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:04 pm

Thanks everyone for suggestions.

Used an uber today but am planning to take it to the mechanic ( same one who fixed the the brakes and fuel line). Will find out what the damage is. Based on it I'll decide the immediate next steps I.e. rent a car, use it for month, etc.

Also, I looked underneath the car - it seems the tank is made up of 2 parts joined at the middle with a rubber/plastic strip. There was no leak on the tank itself that I could see. The plastic strip was wet with the gasoline.

Side note: the gas indicator, in the car panel, still shows 1/4 tank full from yesterday I.e. it is not continuously leaking. I wanted to manually add gasoline, using a container, to get an idea when the leak starts. Will do that tomorrow morning.

Topic Author
seek1227

Post by seek1227 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:07 pm

njdealguy wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:45 pm
As an option for fixing, briefly searched online and can see a fuel tank for your car model can be had for $150-$200 online or from a auto parts store. Can do that and find an independent or mobile mechanic through craigslist or elsewhere. Am guessing this replacement can be done for $400-$500 max including parts & labor while any repair shop will surely charge > 1k. I've saved tons over the years doing various car repairs this way versus going to a retail repair shop (such as replacing brakes/rotors, alternator, AC compressor, etc) as am not mechanically inclined myself.
If you are in nj can you share some mechanic names, etc. that you have worked with in the past? Thanks for your help.

Topic Author
seek1227

Post by seek1227 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:08 pm

Rudedog wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:01 pm
I had a Camry with leaking gas tank. Mechanic used some type of resin, on the outside of the tank, to plug the leak. That was several years ago, it hasn't leaked yet. He said, "Let's try this and see if it works." It worked. I still drive that car.
I read about this yesterday and would be great if that's the problem. But as mentioned above I did not see any visible cracks/holes in the tank.

cashboy

Post by cashboy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:17 pm

seek1227 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:07 pm
njdealguy wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:45 pm
If you are in nj can you share some mechanic names, etc. that you have worked with in the past? Thanks for your help.
not sure where you are in NJ, but consider the following place. honest and reasonable. i have used them for over 15 years and never been disappointed or ripped off.

https://www.ascwhitehouse.com/

i would suggest calling them first and telling them your problem to see what they suggest doing.
FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX - CD - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water

cautious

Post by cautious » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:23 pm

Fix the car. Get the mechanical problem off the list of what-if's. If its a Honda or Toyota, it will go forever. In the meantime while your insurance is still low, you can decide on next car. And you will get the best price for the old one you fixed.

I did that with my Honda Accord, sold it to a friend, and its still running well six years later.
Last edited by cautious on Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:26 pm

lazydavid wrote:
+1. Don't make a major purchase in a rush. You are going to make a mistake or get anbad price, or worse. Get the Camry fixed, which has to be done. Then take your time deciding what to get.

Consider electric if you don't want to worry about things like leaky gas tanks (as well as exhaust, spark plugs, or even oil changes).

ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:33 pm

I was in nearly the same situation in February of this year. Here's a link to my thoughts at the time. I'm glad I got it fixed. It was a royal pain finding a competent shop but its done and the car is still rolling. Just had the oil changed and tires rotated yesterday. Mechanic said he'd drive it to Alaska if needed. Cost about a grand but it was the first ever repair and should get me at least another year. Please don't fall for all the "safety" features now on cars. They are more a "convenience" feature..... Good luck- PM me if you have any specifics.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=273046

Bob

BC_Doc

Post by BC_Doc » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:22 pm

aristotelian wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:26 pm
lazydavid wrote:
+1. Don't make a major purchase in a rush. You are going to make a mistake or get anbad price, or worse. Get the Camry fixed, which has to be done. Then take your time deciding what to get.

Consider electric if you don't want to worry about things like leaky gas tanks (as well as exhaust, spark plugs, or even oil changes).
My second car (a Honda Odyssey) became unreliable about a year ago.

Consumer Reports tweaked my interest in the all electric Hyundai Kona EV with their preliminary review last spring. We ended up buying one in early May and love it after a summer of heavy mileage (kids home from college). Consumer Reports has now finished off its review and the Kona EV is now their number one scored electric pick (tied with the rather boring and sluggish Prius Prime plug-in hybrid). We get 300+ miles/charge and charge at home on our level 2 charger (purchased from Costco) for about $7.50 per “tank.” The car is zippy and a pleasure to drive.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:37 pm

I haven't tried it in the post-cat-converter era, but is there now so much pressure in the fuel tank that you can't just patch the tank? I patched the bottom of my tank - it was vertically-mounted and so rusted along the seam, basically the worst case I'd imagine. Eventually several places on the bottom seam of the tank needed patches, but it held for the better part of a decade after the tank need the first patch. Only one patch started leaking and needed to be replaced.

90degreeturns

Post by 90degreeturns » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:16 pm

seek1227 wrote:
Hi Folks,

I don't know your background - being handy or like to fix stuff on your own. I enjoy it and depending on the location of the fix, you have many very cheap options - including an epoxy fix. It all depends on how deep you want to get into fixing it on your own. I've had multiple different Toyotas and my wife has a Honda now. Toyota's prior to ~ 2015ish are very easy to work on and fix. Pick up a Haynes / Chilton repair manual for your year Camry and search out fuel tank epoxy fix. Good luck!

Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:26 am

To the OP,
I was in a similar boat. See my last post.

Bought a 2020 hyundai palisade on Monday.
Also considered a 2020 kia telluride.

Both SUVs are/will be class leading. Great value. Amazing safety features

Only other car in the sub 40K range we considered was a tesla 3.
Very different cars, the gas guzzler won due to size, and fun long trips hopefully planned.

Lmk if u want more info.

P.S. Always good to have an idea of 'what's out there' with cars. Helps in our inevitable emergencies like this.
Buy Low, Sell High

bsteiner

Post by bsteiner » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:14 am

seek1227 wrote:
If you are in nj can you share some mechanic names, etc. that you have worked with in the past?
Chris Palumbo of New Palumbo in Millburn: http://newpalumbosautorepair.com/home/1796732.

It's been in his family since 1947. He's excellent at figuring out what needs to be done. He'll also tell you when you don't need to fix something.

Feel free to use my name.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:23 am

If you patch up the gas tank with epoxy you might be able to stop the leak but I would be concerned about how it would hold up in a car accident.

One thing you did not mention was how many miles your 2003 Camry has on it.

It is 17 years old and so if it has a lot of miles on it then it might be reasonable to just sell it "as is" and get on with your life.

njdealguy

Post by njdealguy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:49 am

bsteiner wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:14 am
seek1227 wrote:
If you are in nj can you share some mechanic names, etc. that you have worked with in the past?
Chris Palumbo of New Palumbo in Millburn: http://newpalumbosautorepair.com/home/1796732.

It's been in his family since 1947. He's excellent at figuring out what needs to be done. He'll also tell you when you don't need to fix something.

Feel free to use my name.
I wasnt referring to actual full service shops that will still charge some premium for parts and labor, but rather independent mobile mechanics like found on Craigslist where you must buy the parts beforehand and then the mechanic comes and puts it in at your place. No way to get a new fuel tank for the $400-$500 price mentioned by going to a traditional shop (They cant afford to with their overhead/etc)

With that said this mechanic has done great work for me has done several different repairs and replacements for me:

https://cnj.craigslist.org/aos/d/philli ... 48731.html

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:56 am

lazydavid wrote:
delamer wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
A do it yourselfer. To get $1k off the price? Heck yah. Craigslist is full of people who would take this in a minute. Disclose the issue and dump the car. I'm a do it yourselfer. $163 plus shipping from Rock Auto and some wrench time.......sure....I'll take a weekend to do that, flip the car and make $800. There's hundreds of guys like me who scan craigslist every day. Find the average selling price (private sale), take off $1k and I would expect the car to be gone by the weekend. And the new buyer will likely have it back on craigslist in a week with a new tank in it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

unstartable

Post by unstartable » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:03 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:56 am
lazydavid wrote:
delamer wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
A do it yourselfer. To get $1k off the price? Heck yah. Craigslist is full of people who would take this in a minute. Disclose the issue and dump the car. I'm a do it yourselfer. $163 plus shipping from Rock Auto and some wrench time.......sure....I'll take a weekend to do that, flip the car and make $800. There's hundreds of guys like me who scan craigslist every day. Find the average selling price (private sale), take off $1k and I would expect the car to be gone by the weekend. And the new buyer will likely have it back on craigslist in a week with a new tank in it.
In my state this is pretty illegal. I wouldn't sell a car to someone I know is going to float the title.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:27 am

Best option: Buy a new civic/corolla/camry/accord and drive it for 10 years. Shop online, get quotes to your inbox. You'll have the car by this afternoon.

tigerdoc93

Post by tigerdoc93 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:37 am

How is it illegal to buy a car, fix it, and then sell it for profit? Tell me what state you live in where that’s illegal so I can avoid doing business there.

unstartable

Post by unstartable » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:34 pm

tigerdoc93 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:37 am
How is it illegal to buy a car, fix it, and then sell it for profit? Tell me what state you live in where that’s illegal so I can avoid doing business there.
Most states require a dealer license, assuming the vehicles are going to be registered eventually. PA, MD, NJ, NY, CT, and CA for sure do. People get away with floating the title all the time, but it's not legal in these and many other states.

tigerdoc93

Post by tigerdoc93 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:13 pm

Ah. I missed the “floating the title “ part. I agree you need to be on title before selling.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:18 am

"Floating the title" - is this it?

Several years ago, we sold our 2002 Chrysler Minivan (on Craigslist). The engine was shot and the car could not be driven. The rest of the car was in good condition. We got about $500 from a guy that towed it away and he just wanted us to sign over the title (Virginia) in blank (not listing him as the buyer). We did so.

Is there a risk in doing this? We kept the plates and turned them in to DMV right away.

From what I understand, such signing over the title (in blank) is very common.

Admiral

Post by Admiral » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:55 am

How many miles on the Camry? I ask because a 2003 model w/ high miles BB value may be very low...to the extent that fixing it may not be worth it. You may not get it back in the sale.

Don't rush a car purchase. There are zillions of NEW 2018 models still on dealer lots (not to mention 2019s), as the new car market is depressed right now. Use Uber or a rental and take a week or two to do some test drives. Jeeps in particular are sitting on dealer lots. Not saying that's for you, but you can find some deals.

Just keep in mind depreciation when you buy a new but two-model-year-old car.

novemberrain

Post by novemberrain » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:51 pm

seek1227 wrote:
Hi Folks,

Rent a car from Hertz / Enterprise for 1-2 months.

I was in very similar situation. My car broke down. But because of some other irrelevant reason, I didn't have time to go and get a new car the next day. So I am currently renting a car for 1-2 months till I have time to go and buy a new car. Monthly car rentals are surprisingly cheap.