Refinance Mega Thread

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
ln22

Re: Refinance Mega Thread

Post by ln22 »

I bought a house and closed last May. We had the appraisal done for the purpose of inspection and all the realtor ever did was looking only at the outside of the house and then compared it within the area of 2 others price range and just gave the appraisal value. See if the lender originator would know from his experience last year...
Makjl29

Post by Makjl29 »

Makjl29 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:10 pm
presto987 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:01 pm
Makjl29 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:25 pm Hello Everyone,

Here is the update for my cash-out refinance going back and forth process for my 15 Year refinance with cash out of 26K to 30K. This is what I got so far:

Interactive Mortgage
Interest: 2.25%
A+B+C+E = 1,447
Credit= 1,197 Net 250

Loan Depot
Interest 2.25%
A+B+C+E = 2,743
Credit= 3,367 Net (624)
Appraisal Waived

Better
Interest 2.25%
A+B+C+E = 2081
Credit= 1,689 net 392
Appraisal Waived

Better If higher interest
Interest:2.5%
A+B+C+E = 2081 Net (2,918)
Credit = 4,999

I am so confused right now maybe I will go with Loan Depot or with Better at 2.5%. Interactive has been pushy to lock-in the rates now. And I saw a post I need to lock-in better before midnight EST. Any advice for me? What are the things I should consider?
Your LoanDepot offer is already better than Interactive, so no reason to lock Interactive at this point. There is not much harm in locking Better tonight, because with Better you can continue to request price matches after locking.

Make sure to take a screenshot of your Better rate table before you lock. You won't be able to see it after you lock.

I would find out from LoanDepot what credits they would offer at 2.375% and 2.5%. Also what would Better offer at 2.375%. Once you know that, you can start playing LD and Better off each other.

Thank you. Thank you.
Just an update i locked with better. I think unless loan cabin comes up with better rate. I may stick with them. I got tired this past few days talking to many people. Was not able to get work done. Lol. But I want to thank everyone who gave me advice. I started with 2.625% to 2.25% and get a net credit from better of 600. Good thing I asked in this post and will do ask again next time I need advice. Thanks folks really appreciate it!
Jb526

Post by Jb526 »

BrandonBogle wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:17 pm
drk wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:23 pm
Jb526 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:49 pm And when Better provides an offer that's better than the other lender, does the rate table on Better's borrower portal just suddenly update with the improved terms?
No, it only applies to the specific offer match.
Negative. It applies to the whole rate table. I, as well as others, have leveraged this before, either getting rate match on a specific rate and term, then switching to another rate or term. You can switch up until your closing disclosures are prepared. I even think can switch up until closing, but it might restart the 3 day clock on the closing disclosures before you can close.
If the borrower has locked with Better but still continues to present Better with other lenders' LEs that Better then competes with, do the improvements that Betters makes to its terms apply to the borrower's entire rate table "behind the scenes" in Better's system since the rate table isn't visible to the borrower anymore? And is the borrower still free to select a different rate anywhere in that rate table and can take advantage of Better's most recent competing match/adjustment at any level of the Borrower's choice?

With rates fluctuating multiples times a day, how are people bouncing competing offers between multiple lenders and getting them to exceed the offer without locking? Do lenders continue to match LEs presented to them over the span of several weeks with borrowers who aren't locked regardless of what rates are really doing?

Better was great to exceed my other LE, but now that I look at Better's LE, they've given me a 30-day lock period versus the 60 days from the other lender. Seems like that cuts my back-and-forth negotiating time pretty short. Better's lovely welcome message says after the lock expires, I will be " subject to daily lock extension fees." Is this normal?
Last edited by Jb526 on Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Jb526 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:57 pm If the borrower has locked with Better but still continues to present Better with other lenders' LEs that Better then competes with, do the improvements that Betters makes to its terms apply to the borrower's entire rate table "behind the scenes" in Better's system since the rate table isn't visible to the borrower anymore? And is the borrower still free to select a different rate anywhere in that rate table and can take advantage of Better's most recent competing match/adjustment at any level of the Borrower's choice?
Yes on all counts
Snezz1e

Post by Snezz1e »

388k loan refinance (80% LTV) in NV

LD quoted 2.125% with $3k closing cost but said they will beat competitor rate.

Used Zillow which showed Sebonic quoting 2.115% with $2.3k lender credit

Contacted Sebonic which quoted 2.115% 3.3k credit which provides $400 towards escrow/prepaids. Gave an unofficial loan estimate.

Gave LD unofficial estimate and they said they can only match and will only beat an official loan estimate.

Official Sebonic Loan estimate only had 2.7k credit which meant $200 closing cost.

With official loan estimate, LD beat it by giving me 1.99% and 3.5k credit which is $800 towards prepaids/escrow.

Awesome rate in the end.
BitDude

Post by BitDude »

I called an locked on Dec 11 with IM, it just closed and funded yesterday. Overall hassle-free and easy.

1.75% no closing costs
15yr fixed
$425k loan
800+ FICO
LTV 57%

This rate is long gone, but if anyone else is able to lock at this rate, do confess!
Indi808

Post by Indi808 »

I've gone ahead and locked with LenderFi last week because they gave me the best offer at the time and rates were trending up. I've noticed in the last few posts that many have locked with 2 lenders, which I thought was not recommended? In any case, I've already submitted all my documents to LF but would like to see if they can give me a better offer. I'm guessing rates won't be much better this week but can I continue to shop around and see if I can get them to give me additional credits or am I pretty much done at this point?
Cobra Commander

Post by Cobra Commander »

Indi808 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:20 am I've gone ahead and locked with LenderFi last week because they gave me the best offer at the time and rates were trending up. I've noticed in the last few posts that many have locked with 2 lenders, which I thought was not recommended? In any case, I've already submitted all my documents to LF but would like to see if they can give me a better offer. I'm guessing rates won't be much better this week but can I continue to shop around and see if I can get them to give me additional credits or am I pretty much done at this point?
Based on others experience LF will not be happy if you try to lower the rate and may cancel your application. They prob asked you to confirm you were done shopping when you locked your rate.
2quiker

Post by 2quiker »

Indi808 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:20 am I've gone ahead and locked with LenderFi last week because they gave me the best offer at the time and rates were trending up. I've noticed in the last few posts that many have locked with 2 lenders, which I thought was not recommended? In any case, I've already submitted all my documents to LF but would like to see if they can give me a better offer. I'm guessing rates won't be much better this week but can I continue to shop around and see if I can get them to give me additional credits or am I pretty much done at this point?
LenderFi doesn't like to counter from my experience. You can always take Lenderfis LE to Better they will beat it or match it. If LenderFi cancels you app at least you will have one with Better.
muddy

Post by muddy »

I'm not sure if I'm better off creating a new thread, but my question relates to mortgage refinancing so I will try here first.

I bought a home in September 2019 putting 20% down and getting a 30 year mortgage with a 3.75% interest rate. About 6 months later, I got a separate Title I FHA loan to put on a new roof and make some minor improvements to the basement. The Title I FHA loan resulted in a second mortgage, this one for 20 years with a 6.375% interest rate.

Two questions:

1. Can I pay off both of these with a refinancing lender like LenderFi at the same time? I am thinking that I could save around $400/month if I consolidated these into a new 30 year mortgage at current rates.

2. Is it reasonable to expect that I would not need to pay for PMI? I purchased the home originally for $635K and the Title I FHA loan was for about $20k. The house is in a nice area with appreciating property values and it has been improved with the aforesaid new roof. I believe if the house is valued at $650k for purposes of the refinance, then my paid principal would be over 20% and I would not need to pay PMI even if both of the loans are consolidated as per above. How much risk is there that this could create an issue?
Jb526

Post by Jb526 »

Just started monitoring rates within the past week without keeping apprised of rates beforehand, and I locked two loans just two days ago with Better.

Primary residence (existing 30 yr loan of $160,000 at 4.75%, obtained 10 years ago)
Value: $400,000 (rounded)
New Loan Amount (15 yr): $160,000
New Rate: 2.25%
New APR: 2.425%
A $1,259 + B $64 + C $1,030 = $2,353 loan costs
No appraisal needed on primary residence.

Rental Property (existing 30 yr loan of $122,000 at 4.625% and $38,000 HELOC at 5.625%, obtained 13 years ago)
Value $320,000 (rounded)
New Loan Amount (15 yr): $160,000
New Rate: 2.875%
New APR: 3.048%
A $1,170 + B $614 + C $1,052 = $2,836 loan costs
Appraisal will be required, not yet occurred.

800 credit score

Are these loan costs acceptable in the current environment?
How could I get them lowered without having to settle for higher interest rates?
Should I have done back-and-forth negotiation with other lenders before locking? I thought that I'd lose my rate if i didn't lock. Or is that not how it works?
Would presenting these offers to LenderFi (for primary residence anyway) and presenting both to Loan Depot be a possibility? Any other potential options?
Would it be unwise to roll all closing costs into the loans?
Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 »

muddy wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:32 pm I'm not sure if I'm better off creating a new thread, but my question relates to mortgage refinancing so I will try here first.

I bought a home in September 2019 putting 20% down and getting a 30 year mortgage with a 3.75% interest rate. About 6 months later, I got a separate Title I FHA loan to put on a new roof and make some minor improvements to the basement. The Title I FHA loan resulted in a second mortgage, this one for 20 years with a 6.375% interest rate.

Two questions:

1. Can I pay off both of these with a refinancing lender like LenderFi at the same time? I am thinking that I could save around $400/month if I consolidated these into a new 30 year mortgage at current rates.

2. Is it reasonable to expect that I would not need to pay for PMI? I purchased the home originally for $635K and the Title I FHA loan was for about $20k. The house is in a nice area with appreciating property values and it has been improved with the aforesaid new roof. I believe if the house is valued at $650k for purposes of the refinance, then my paid principal would be over 20% and I would not need to pay PMI even if both of the loans are consolidated as per above. How much risk is there that this could create an issue?
Re: your #1, the answer with LenderFi is no. Unless both loans were taken out at the same time they are not doing those “cash out” refinances now. I’m not sure about the specifics of the Title 1 FHA loan, but I was able to roll a primary and secondary mortgage into a single loan with Better.
Jb526

Post by Jb526 »

Cobra Commander wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:56 am
Based on others experience LF will not be happy if you try to lower the rate and may cancel your application. They prob asked you to confirm you were done shopping when you locked your rate.
I sent one single LE to LenderFi and asked if they could meet or beat it. LenderFi then canceled my application. LenderFi's offer was garbage anyway, but they either couldn't or wouldn't improve it when provided evidence of a better offer from elsewhere. Not sure how they can do business this way or how they came to be so highly regarded by some.
truenyer

Post by truenyer »

Jb526 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:35 am I sent one single LE to LenderFi and asked if they could meet or beat it. LenderFi then canceled my application. LenderFi's offer was garbage anyway, but they either couldn't or wouldn't improve it when provided evidence of a better offer from elsewhere. Not sure how they can do business this way or how they came to be so highly regarded by some.
Your loan balances are way too low for them. They are no nonsense and have very good rates up front, as long as your loan balance is > ~$300k. Yours are well under that.
ln22

Post by ln22 »

Hello,
I'm looking for advice what the next step to do. I'm in the middle of my 1st refinancing. Started late when the rates started rising but still got 2.25% with 2.266%APR. So coming from 2.75% with 2.77APR I thought it's a decent deal of saving around 30k overall(right now with est. of 2k closing cost).. No origination cost or anything but the title and escrow. Will see about the other tax rate but hopeful no more than 3k closing cost.

The loan is underwriting 1st stage. I also have a Power Purchase Agreement with Vivint Solar(VS) at such that they put a UCC-1 on the house claiming it's not a lien but a notice filing. The bank I'm working with is the original bank we did the mortgage with. However, after a month they sold us to another lender. Would it be a problem with Vivint Solar lien? I have contacted the VS customer service and that if we replied with the mortgage bank info and have someone from the bank sign it on the 3rd party authorization form, then it only takes 1-3 days to clear the lien. VS website says we need to do this 3 days before refinancing closing date. I'm just unsure when I should bring this up to my loan originator. After I got a real approval for the loan? Would they already know about the VS lien by then or should I wait until their title company bring it up?

And at what point should I bring my own title company into the picture? When i closed on the house last time with the title, it was pretty straight forward and plus I had the realtor, and I already got in contact with them via the earnest deposit check with the realtor reference. Now the receptionist told me, I can't have any contact with them until my loan people asking for the tittle company. And she only gives me their email address and wouldn't commit me to the last settlement agent I was happy with. My friend who did a refinancing told me I should start with the title company whenever i have a file opened... What should I do?
Last edited by ln22 on Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LiveMusic

Post by LiveMusic »

Hi all,
I am currently locked with Better for 15 yrs, 2% with about 500$ effectively in credit. Would better provide an updated LE from the same rate table with more credit, if I am willing to go one notch up on the rate? Planning to check with them tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone has done this after rate lock, and if they would honor the rate tables at the time I locked for 2%.

Missed checking the rates table before locking.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

LiveMusic wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:34 pm Hi all,
I am currently locked with Better for 15 yrs, 2% with about 500$ effectively in credit. Would better provide an updated LE from the same rate table with more credit, if I am willing to go one notch up on the rate? Planning to check with them tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone has done this after rate lock, and if they would honor the rate tables at the time I locked for 2%.

Yes, you can change to any rate and term on your table up until closing. Your loan officer can do it. Feel free to ask her/him to email you your rate table screenshot for a specific term in advance if you prefer.
LiveMusic

Post by LiveMusic »

Thank you Brandon; will be checking with him
BrandonBogle wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:58 pm

Yes, you can change to any rate and term on your table up until closing. Your loan officer can do it. Feel free to ask her/him to email you your rate table screenshot for a specific term in advance if you prefer.
DoveBogle

Shop for Title/Closing Services?

Post by DoveBogle »

I'm wondering if I should look to switch my title / closing services company, and if so, to which one?

Situation: I'm partway into the refi process, currently in processing / underwriting. The date for closing has not been set yet. I'm getting a little annoyed with the closing / title company. I've been requesting for a while if they can use a particular local RE attorney for the closing (someone we have worked with before and like), and they are just very slow getting back to me. Apparently this attorney will have to "register" with them.

Should I look into using a different title company? Maybe one our lawyer is already 'registered' with? I'm in MA and total Title Closing Fee + Title Insurance = $1035

Grateful for any advice!
2quiker

Re: Shop for Title/Closing Services?

Post by 2quiker »

DoveBogle wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:46 pm I'm wondering if I should look to switch my title / closing services company, and if so, to which one?

Situation: I'm partway into the refi process, currently in processing / underwriting. The date for closing has not been set yet. I'm getting a little annoyed with the closing / title company. I've been requesting for a while if they can use a particular local RE attorney for the closing (someone we have worked with before and like), and they are just very slow getting back to me. Apparently this attorney will have to "register" with them.

Should I look into using a different title company? Maybe one our lawyer is already 'registered' with? I'm in MA and total Title Closing Fee + Title Insurance = $1035

Grateful for any advice!
$1035 for title is not bad. Folks on this forum have indicated that they use Radian but I inquired with Radian and they were more than my local title company.
drk

Post by drk »

BrandonBogle wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:17 pm Negative. It applies to the whole rate table. I, as well as others, have leveraged this before, either getting rate match on a specific rate and term, then switching to another rate or term. You can switch up until your closing disclosures are prepared. I even think can switch up until closing, but it might restart the 3 day clock on the closing disclosures before you can close.
Someone else beat you to the punch:
presto987 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:19 pm I had a different experience with regard to the second question. When Better gave me a price match before I locked, the whole rate table updated. I then wound up increasing my rate to increase lender credit. This was in August.
Regardless, I'm speaking from my own experience with matches before and after locking. The rate table didn't change.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

drk wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:08 pm Regardless, I'm speaking from my own experience with matches before and after locking. The rate table didn't change.
Odd. In all four of my Better refis, I’ve gotten multiple matches and got an updated rate table from each one. In the second refi, I even had them do an initial match on a 15-year, then a second match on a 30-year a week or two later. When they matched this second time, I had them send me both my 15-year and 30-year rate tables and switched back to a 15-year given the pricing improvement.

Perhaps Better operates differently in your state?

This process they have is outlined on the faq, but I know they do tagging and serve up different webpages for different people (private mode/vpn confirmed some differences), so the faq for your state may be different.

In case it helps other, in none of my 4 refis with Better have I actually closed using the rate and term they matched on. Each time I’ve shifted to what I felt was the sweet spot in my rate table.
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad »

Background: I'm in the middle of a refi with LenderFi and I am not escrowing insurance/taxes

I received the closing estimates from LenderFi and was surprised to see that I was being required to escrow flood insurance premiums even though I was not needing to escrow homeowners insurance or property taxes. When I contacted LenderFi about this they said this was required with any loan since they sell the loan to FannieMae/FredieMac.

I didn't think any more of it until my insurance provider (Amica) called me to verify I was doing a refinance with LenderFi. I confirmed that was the case, but while I had the agent on the phone I asked about the requirement to escrow flood insurance premiums. She said she was surprised by this because as she said "we have lots of customers that do not escrow both homeowners and flood insurance premiums".

Has anyone here experienced this situation? Who is correct - LenderFi or Amica?
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Valdeselad wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:28 pm Has anyone here experienced this situation? Who is correct - LenderFi or Amica?
LenderFi. Your Amica rep likely hasn’t personally seen this since it only applies if your premium is due within 60-90 days from closing. If the bill is due further out, it won’t be escrowed.

You will see that rather than this be in Section G for escrow, it is in Section F for prepaids. This is because you are prepaying the premium to the title/settlement agent, not LenderFi. The settlement agent then makes sure it is paid on time, even if the loan is being sold to another lender during this time. It prevents the renewal from getting lost in the shuffle.
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad »

BrandonBogle wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:32 pm
Valdeselad wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:28 pm Has anyone here experienced this situation? Who is correct - LenderFi or Amica?
LenderFi. Your Amica rep likely hasn’t personally seen this since it only applies if your premium is due within 60-90 days from closing. If the bill is due further out, it won’t be escrowed.

You will see that rather than this be in Section G for escrow, it is in Section F for prepaids. This is because you are prepaying the premium to the title/settlement agent, not LenderFi. The settlement agent then makes sure it is paid on time, even if the loan is being sold to another lender during this time. It prevents the renewal from getting lost in the shuffle.
Thanks for the response, but that's the thing....my premium is always paid in full up front and my renewal is not until July, so ~6 months from now. In the meantime, I have a $0 balance on my existing policy so there is nothing to pay.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Valdeselad wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:38 pm

Thanks for the response, but that's the thing....my premium is always paid in full up front and my renewal is not until July, so ~6 months from now. In the meantime, I have a $0 balance on my existing policy so there is nothing to pay.
Is this a Loan Estimate or a Closing Disclosure? If the former, don't worry about it. It will drop once they get the updated info and see the premium isn't due soon. If it is a Closing Disclosure, simply reach out to them and say "My policy is paid through July 2021 and thus, the premium should not be collected at closing for a renewal that far out. Is there documentation you would like to validate the policy term?"
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad »

BrandonBogle wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:42 pm
Valdeselad wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:38 pm

Is this a Loan Estimate or a Closing Disclosure? If the former, don't worry about it. It will drop once they get the updated info and see the premium isn't due soon. If it is a Closing Disclosure, simply reach out to them and say "My policy is paid through July 2021 and thus, the premium should not be collected at closing for a renewal that far out. Is there documentation you would like to validate the policy term?"
Thanks @BrandonBogle for the help...

It is the Closing Disclosure which is why I want to make sure everything is correct.
BackToSchoolDad

Post by BackToSchoolDad »

In good news: our house appraised for 10,000 more than expected and we won't need to have PMI.

In bad news: got a letter from the current servicer that they're transferring the servicing to a new one right in the middle of our refi.

How much of a headache is this going to create?
VCC

Post by VCC »

This happened to me once. It delayed closing for 2 weeks.
FordMustang12

Post by FordMustang12 »

Are 1.99 for 15 year, 2.375 for 20 year and 2.56 for 30 year with no closing costs for 323k mortgage refinance good rates? Has anyone gotten better rates? I just got these rates from my broker. I am currently on 30 year but now considering 20 year.
JMak97008

Post by JMak97008 »

Hi, all...Spent the better part of my afternoon reading through this great thread. I'm here for some advice/insight regarding my home refi approach.

Local broker (that I was referred to by a my financial advisor) and I have been talking for a while about refinancing my home mortgage. He came back to me this week with a 30-yr fixed 2.875 rate with a 0.3% origination fee. Folks at Reddit suggested I try sites like Better, LenderFi and Costco Services.

Property is located in Beaverton, OR.

My current 30-year fixed mortgage through Quicken -
  • Original Loan Amt: $395,000
  • Outstanding Balance: $330,325
  • Rate: 3.99%
  • PMI: $104
  • Taxes: $485
  • Insurance: $61
  • Current Escrow is $1900
  • Current Value: $450,000
I'm just looking to lower my monthly payment and ditch the PMI. No cash out. I will be rolling 100% of escrow and closing into the loan.

Better came at me with 2.750 no points and through Costco, got to Strong, NASB, and Mututal of Omaha also at 2.750 no points. The Costco lenders have capped lending fees (vary according to membership level but are $250/$550).

Each have lender credits with NASB leading the way at $825, Better at $785, and Omaha at $400. My local broker is at $150.

Titling costs are from $1600 to $2400...sheesh.

So far, I have completed the application process for Better (rate locked at 2.750), NASB, and Omaha. Im waiting for a call back from my broker to see what he can do.

In the meantime, I am now sweating as if I am moving too fast or missing some easy ways to maximize this refi.

I'd appreciate any advice, insights, thoughts.

EDIT: Feeling like I made a mistake to complete applications with Better, Omaha, and NASB. Talked my local broker who indicated that he gave me 2.875 but was being conservative keeping in mind days to close. He explained that he can get me 2.750 right now, but on a 22-day close that's $591, although shifting to a 15-day close that changes to $159 for 2.750. Not sure what all that means except he's confident we can end up at 2.750.
Last edited by JMak97008 on Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsh84

Post by jsh84 »

refinanced earlier this month.

went from a 30 year at 3.635 to a 15 at 2.125. The amount extra that is going to principle is remarkable.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

FordMustang12 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:21 pm Are 1.99 for 15 year, 2.375 for 20 year and 2.56 for 30 year with no closing costs for 323k mortgage refinance good rates? Has anyone gotten better rates? I just got these rates from my broker. I am currently on 30 year but now considering 20 year.
Yes those are good.
MNPerson

Post by MNPerson »

jsh84 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:37 pm refinanced earlier this month.

went from a 30 year at 3.635 to a 15 at 2.125. The amount extra that is going to principle is remarkable.
Will you share your process for getting 2.125 and what your costs were? That is amazing.
DoveBogle

Post by DoveBogle »

JMak97008 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:19 pm Hi, all...Spent the better part of my afternoon reading through this great thread. I'm here for some advice/insight regarding my home refi approach.

Local broker (that I was referred to by a my financial advisor) and I have been talking for a while about refinancing my home mortgage. He came back to me this week with a 30-yr fixed 2.875 rate with a 0.3% origination fee. Folks at Reddit suggested I try sites like Better, LenderFi and Costco Services.

I'm just looking to lower my monthly payment and ditch the PMI. No cash out. I will be rolling 100% of escrow and closing into the loan.

Better came at me with 2.750 no points and through Costco, got to Strong, NASB, and Mututal of Omaha also at 2.750 no points. The Costco lenders have capped lending fees (vary according to membership level but are $250/$550).

Each have lender credits with NASB leading the way at $825, Better at $785, and Omaha at $400. My local broker is at $150.

So far, I have completed the application process for Better (rate locked at 2.750), NASB, and Omaha. Im waiting for a call back from my broker to see what he can do.

In the meantime, I am now sweating as if I am moving too fast or missing some easy ways to maximize this refi.

You’re doing awesome. You’re doing more research and shopping around more than 99% of people. No matter what, you are looking at solid offers and are poised to improve your mortgage situation hugely. You can keep looking and try to find the best rate you can, that’s good. But don’t sweat it too much. Even if the deal you end up with is not ‘absolutely perfect’, you’ll still be doing much better than you would have if you hadn’t done very solid research. There are zillions of people out there closing on 3.25%+ loans with thousands in closing costs who have no idea.
berg

Post by berg »

I am coming up on my six months with a no-cost this summer from Lenderfi -- 30 year @ 2.75%. Just connected with them as I am eligible again and the no cost option is 2.625% and for $300 to $400 in closing costs, I can get down to 2.5%. I'm usually a fan of no cost, but for the effort to refi again, .25% feels more worth it. On my $505k mortgage, the difference between 2.625% and 2.5% is $33 per month cheaper, so pays for itself in 9 to 12 months.

Oh, and I will save $88 per month if I go with 2.5% vs. my current 2.75%, while only extending the life of this loan ~7 months (though that doesn't bother me, I'll take 2.5% for as many years as I can!!)

Am I missing anything? Thanks!!
4th and Inches

Post by 4th and Inches »

berg wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:18 pm I am coming up on my six months with a no-cost this summer from Lenderfi -- 30 year @ 2.75%. Just connected with them as I am eligible again and the no cost option is 2.625% and for $300 to $400 in closing costs, I can get down to 2.5%. I'm usually a fan of no cost, but for the effort to refi again, .25% feels more worth it. On my $505k mortgage, the difference between 2.625% and 2.5% is $33 per month cheaper, so pays for itself in 9 to 12 months.

Oh, and I will save $88 per month if I go with 2.5% vs. my current 2.75%, while only extending the life of this loan ~7 months (though that doesn't bother me, I'll take 2.5% for as many years as I can!!)

Am I missing anything? Thanks!!
It is worth it for the $400. Do it. Even if rates go lower and you refinance with Lenderfi again in 6 more months $33*6=$198 saved vs 2.625% making it only a $202 proposition. Its a $400 investment that can save you thousands with a pretty quick payback.
JMak97008

Post by JMak97008 »

DoveBogle wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:54 pm
JMak97008 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:19 pm Hi, all...Spent the better part of my afternoon reading through this great thread. I'm here for some advice/insight regarding my home refi approach.

You’re doing awesome. You’re doing more research and shopping around more than 99% of people. No matter what, you are looking at solid offers and are poised to improve your mortgage situation hugely. You can keep looking and try to find the best rate you can, that’s good. But don’t sweat it too much. Even if the deal you end up with is not ‘absolutely perfect’, you’ll still be doing much better than you would have if you hadn’t done very solid research. There are zillions of people out there closing on 3.25%+ loans with thousands in closing costs who have no idea.
Update:
Talked to my local broker and he indicated that he'd be able to get to 2.750 but sent me 2.875 to be conservative, However, to get the 2.750, it'd cost $590. His 2.875 came with a $1,055 origination fee or 0.3%. He started talking about 15-day and 22-day windows and 2.750 was available if he selected a 15-day closing period. I don't really know how to evaluate his explanation here, but he ultimately pooh-pooh'd the rates and costs I was getting from the Costco-provided lenders.

The NASB guy then called me back and after talking a bit about long-term plans I have with the house (like to be out within 12 years), he then re-checked the 2.750 rate he had access to. Interesting, between 1pm PST and 6pm PST, he indicated that at 2.750, his lender credit nearly doubled from $850 to over $1600 which means that my A+B+C+E cost would come down from $1800 to $900+. He estimated escrow in the same neighborhood as my local broker. Lastly, he also ran 2.875 and found that he could get to a $0 A+B+C+E closing. The difference between the two rates works out to $22/month over 10y.

So Green-lit the NASB to lock in that 2.750 rate tonight and I think I'll be calling my local broker tomorrow to indicate Im going in this direction. Ill give him the courtesy of reviewing the offer to see if he can match it. I may even send it to Better to see if they will match.

LiveMusic

Post by LiveMusic »

Hey Brandon,
Better came back with the rates table, but they only provided the lower rates, which would mean I would have to pay points to buy the lower rates.
They didnt provide me the higher rates with better credits. Will be checking with them tomorrow, but wanted to keep you posted.
LiveMusic wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:57 pm Thank you Brandon; will be checking with him

tilo_sea

Post by tilo_sea »

Can someone pls help the noob here.

Outstanding principal- 271k (37% LTV)
Current interest rate: 3.25%
Location- Seattle (King County)
Remaining on current loan- 29 years.
Property type: Townhome
Credit: 760+
New loan term: 15 years.
  • Local broker
    Interest rate: 2.00%; $1000 (underwriting fee) + $1100 (Title) - $0 (lender credits)
  • Better.com
    Option 1: 2% interest rate, $1000 (points) + $1100 (title) - $0 (lender credits)
    Option 2: 2.125% interest rate, $0 (points) + $1100 (title) - $400 (lender credits)
    Option 3: 2.25% interest rate, $0 (points) + $1100 (title) - $2300 (lender credits)
Locked in with better.com Option 3 (2.25% with $2300 credits). Did I make the right choice?

Checked with bunch of other lenders, most of them were offering in the range of 2.125 to 2.25 with no credits. Had missed the bus in Jan 1st week when better.com was offering 2% w/o points.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

LiveMusic wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:22 pm Hey Brandon,
Better came back with the rates table, but they only provided the lower rates, which would mean I would have to pay points to buy the lower rates.
They didnt provide me the higher rates with better credits. Will be checking with them tomorrow, but wanted to keep you posted.
LiveMusic wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:57 pm Thank you Brandon; will be checking with him

The downside to getting the rate table from your loan officer is that s/he is grabbing a screenshot of their screen to send you, so they may stop at a point thinking you won’t want any higher rate.

If you explicitly mention you want to see the higher rates to chip away at the closing costs and prepaids, they should give you a better view. Certain rates may not show up (haven’t figured out why specific rates aren’t available), but essentially all rates up to $5k in lender credits should be available. $5k is Better’s cap.
Last edited by BrandonBogle on Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LiveMusic

Post by LiveMusic »

BrandonBogle wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:39 pm
LiveMusic wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:22 pm Hey Brandon,

The downside to getting the rate table from your loan officer is that s/he is grabbing a screenshot of their screen to send you, so they may stop at a point thinking you won’t want any higher rate.

If you explicitly mention you want to see the higher rates to chip away at the closing costs and prepaids, they should give you a better view. Certain states may not show up (haven’t figured out why specific rates aren’t available), but essentially all rates up to $5k in lender credits should be available. $5k is Better’s cap.
Got it, will ask for the higher rate explicitly. Is 5K in lender credit the net max of what they would give the borrower(after deducting for closing costs etc). Or is that the gross amount?
jsh84

Post by jsh84 »

MNPerson wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:45 pm
jsh84 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:37 pm refinanced earlier this month.

Will you share your process for getting 2.125 and what your costs were? That is amazing.
I think i searched Bankrate and found an offer through a company called Lower.com, they are actually local for me. Whole process took maybe a month. Closing costs about 3k total I think.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

LiveMusic wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:44 pm
BrandonBogle wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:39 pm The downside to getting the rate table from your loan officer is that s/he is grabbing a screenshot of their screen to send you, so they may stop at a point thinking you won’t want any higher rate.

If you explicitly mention you want to see the higher rates to chip away at the closing costs and prepaids, they should give you a better view. Certain states may not show up (haven’t figured out why specific rates aren’t available), but essentially all rates up to $5k in lender credits should be available. $5k is Better’s cap.
Got it, will ask for the higher rate explicitly. Is 5K in lender credit the net max of what they would give the borrower(after deducting for closing costs etc). Or is that the gross amount?
Gross

Btw, I will edit my prior post. I just wanted to highlight a typo above. I meant "rates", not "states". :oops:
Miamilaw35

Post by Miamilaw35 »

If my loan is 14 months old, and I'm looking to refinance, anybody know if I can retain my current title insurance so I don't have to pay the extra money for it to be reissued ?
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Miamilaw35 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:29 pm If my loan is 14 months old, and I'm looking to refinance, anybody know if I can retain my current title insurance so I don't have to pay the extra money for it to be reissued ?
"If my loan is 1 day old, and I'm looking to refinance, can I retain my current title insurance?" - No

However, depending on state and/or provider, there may be a reissue discount on getting new title insurance, but you will still be buying new title insurance.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

BrandonBogle wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:43 pm
Miamilaw35 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:29 pm If my loan is 14 months old, and I'm looking to refinance, anybody know if I can retain my current title insurance so I don't have to pay the extra money for it to be reissued ?
"If my loan is 1 day old, and I'm looking to refinance, can I retain my current title insurance?" - No

However, depending on state and/or provider, there may be a reissue discount on getting new title insurance, but you will still be buying new title insurance.
Are you talking about the lender's title insurance or the owner's title insurance? I think there is a difference.
BarDownHockey

Post by BarDownHockey »

Anyone working with Chase and know if there’s any truth to what I’m being told here? Apparently they are having trouble getting the new 2021 conforming loan limits into their systems. They offered to beat a competitors LE and I locked in a rate with Chase based on a LE they sent that maxed out at last year’s conforming limit (which would require me to bring more money to the table than I can). Locking in was also based on their verbal promise and a voicemail that by Jan 8 their system would be good to go and I’d get a new LE with the same rate but updated to the new conforming limit.

I prefer working with Chase because they will service the loan and I had a good experience with them in the past. Their lender credit is also a grand higher. The other online lender who has the competing LE at the correct loan amount, will sell my loan. I’m hesitant about that because of some of the feedback folks have left in this thread with really poor customer service once the loan was sold. But now I’m starting to worry Chase is dragging their feet with 2 weeks of “system issues” where they can’t get me a LE and also haven’t sent my file to underwriting. Maybe I’m over worrying about the sale of the loan and possible aggravation depending on who it’s sold too. I’m curious if anyone else is hearing similar delays with Chase or if this is a red flag and I should stick with the online lender who already has me through their conditional approval?
Last edited by BarDownHockey on Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

BarDownHockey wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:46 pm Anyone working with Chase and know there’s any truth to what I’m being told here? Apparently they are having trouble getting the new 2021 conforming loan limits into their systems. I locked in a rate with Chase based on a LE they sent that maxed out at last year’s conforming limit (which would require me to bring more money to the table than I can). Locking in was also based on their verbal promise and a voicemail that by Jan 8 their system would be good to go and I’d get a new LE with the same rate but updated to the new conforming limit.

I prefer working with Chase because they will service the loan and I had a good experience with them in the past. Their lender credit is also a grand higher. The other online lender who has the competing LE at the correct loan amount, will sell my loan. I’m hesitant about that because of some of the feedback folks have left in this thread with really poor customer service one the loan was sold. But now I’m starting to worry Chase is dragging their feet with 2 weeks of “system issues” where they can’t get me a LE and also haven’t sent my file to underwriting. Maybe I’m over worrying about the sale of the loan and possible aggravation depending on who it’s sold too. I’m curious if anyone else is hearing similar delays with Chase or if this is a red flag and I should stick with the online lender who already has me through their conditional approval?
Who is the other online lender?
BarDownHockey

Post by BarDownHockey »

anon_investor wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:48 pm Who is the other online lender?
Last edited by BarDownHockey on Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.