Banks requiring fingerprint on a check for non-customers to receive cash

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
TetrisCollider

Banks requiring fingerprint on a check for non-customers to receive cash

Post by TetrisCollider » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:56 pm

Went in to BoA to cash a check written out in my name – the check was drawn on BoA. I am not a BoA customer. After providing several forms of ID, was requested to put (in ink) a fingerprint on the check, before they would cash it out. I was blown away by this request, said no thank you and drove to my CU to cash the check. After looking into this, apparently, this fingerprinting requirement was around at least since 1997.

https://www.sfgate.com/business/article ... 849473.php

I guess I have not had a need to cash a check as a non-customer at least since 1997. :happy

Although apparently this is legal, to me, this raises a huge amounts of questions and concerns.

Have you encountered this, what did you do and what are your thoughts on this subject?

livesoft

Re: Banks requiring fingerprint on a check for non-customers to receive cash

Post by livesoft » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:59 pm

I have not encountered this, but I had to be fingerprinted to get a Texas driver license back in the 1970's.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:05 pm

Yes, I have had this happen to me and I think it was at a B of A. It was probably 10 to 15 years ago and has not happened since but then again I usually just deposit those checks at my bank and seldom cash them out.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:06 pm

Just curious what was the value of the check?

I have never cashed out a check anywhere. I have only deposited a check at a bank/credit union I have an account with.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:07 pm

I cash checks at my own bank, not the bank of the issuer. Never been asked for a fingerprint. This is one reason why I have a brick/mortar bank in addition to an online bank.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:14 pm

Around here, the scam is to steal a check, pay a druggie to go to the bank and cash it, and split the money. That way it's the druggie that gets caught, if anyone ever does, not the original thief. It's annoying to be treated like a drugged out thief at the bank, just like it's annoying to be treated like a terrorist at the airport.

Topic Author
TetrisCollider

Post by TetrisCollider » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:18 pm

stan1 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:06 pm
Just curious what was the value of the check?

I have never cashed out a check anywhere. I have only deposited a check at a bank/credit union I have an account with.
The check was for $1,000. But based on the article that I linked to, it seems they would now do this even for a much smaller amount.

student

Post by student » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:21 pm

This seems excessive. In any case, it should not be a big problem for those who have an account with a bank.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:51 pm

At least the BofA cashed a check submitted by a non-customer. My bank will not cash anything for a non-customer.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:57 pm

Colorado13 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:07 pm
I cash checks at my own bank, not the bank of the issuer.
We do the same. These days, we cash checks with our phones. I think that our bank (Chase) has a limit of $5k for this, but unless we were selling a car, we would virtually never get a check for that much.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

finsterfolly

Post by finsterfolly » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:05 pm

Had the same thing happen at the BoA predecessor, NationsBank, over 20 years ago. I too walked out. I thought that went away.

jminv

Post by jminv » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:36 pm

TetrisCollider wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:56 pm
Went in to BoA to cash a check written out in my name – the check was drawn on BoA. I am not a BoA customer. After providing several forms of ID, was requested to put (in ink) a fingerprint on the check, before they would cash it out. I was blown away by this request, said no thank you and drove to my CU to cash the check. After looking into this, apparently, this fingerprinting requirement was around at least since 1997.

https://www.sfgate.com/business/article ... 849473.php

I guess I have not had a need to cash a check as a non-customer at least since 1997. :happy

Although apparently this is legal, to me, this raises a huge amounts of questions and concerns.

Have you encountered this, what did you do and what are your thoughts on this subject?
Fraud prevention measure that also irritates people not forging checks. Signalling device to would be forgers know that the bank is serious and will deter some of them (plus many other non forgers) from trying to cash it there. In any case, your fingerprints are already on the check.

I would use mobile deposit to avoid having to go into any bank to cash the check in the first place.

mhc

Post by mhc » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:51 pm

This is truly shocking.

I didn't realize people still go into banks to cash checks. Just mobile deposit the check and be done.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:42 pm

Kudos to BoA for putting in this level of security.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:53 pm

Glad to see Bank of America instituting measures to protect its customers. Wish more banks did the same. But, seriously, why would you want to cash a check at a bank where you don't have an account? Why not just deposit it at your own bank?

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:58 pm

mhc wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:51 pm
This is truly shocking.

I didn't realize people still go into banks to cash checks. Just mobile deposit the check and be done.
Agreed.
Depositing checks into the ATM used to be the only reason I had to visit a bank on occasion. Glad that has gone away too.

simas

Post by simas » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:03 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:42 pm
Kudos to BoA for putting in this level of security.
This.
I do not understand the "this raises a huge amounts of questions and concerns." - how so?

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:06 pm

This happened to me years ago with B of A. I went along with it, probably for convenience's sake, but I did not like it. I forget why I was cashing it there instead of sending it to my own bank or credit union. I just put it down to B of A's general nastiness.

Topic Author
TetrisCollider

Post by TetrisCollider » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:56 pm

Appreciate everyone's responses.

Sometimes there are unpredictable circumstances where one is in a situation that is outside of normal routine - such is life.

I see that most respondents do not see any issues with this fingerprinting policy and view it as a positive security protection.

I am very privacy oriented, so this was not something I was willing to tolerate - to each his own.

megabad

Post by megabad » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:06 pm

TetrisCollider wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:56 pm
I am very privacy oriented, so this was not something I was willing to tolerate - to each his own.
I mean I agree I guess, I would never freely give my finger print for no good reason, but it sounds like the problem is easily solved by going to your own bank. As above, I think it makes more sense to just refuse to cash the check at all but I assume BoA charges big fees for this service so they keep it around. Of course, if they started to refuse to cash non customer checks we would see forum posts complaining about how BoA doesn't cash them. Hard to keep everyone happy.

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:16 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:51 pm
At least the BofA cashed a check submitted by a non-customer. My bank will not cash anything for a non-customer.
So, if you write me a check, drawn on the funds in your bank, they won't cash it for me unless I'm a customer? That's on the ragged edge of legal...
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:24 pm

GAAP wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:16 pm
HueyLD wrote:
So, if you write me a check, drawn on the funds in your bank, they won't cash it for me unless I'm a customer? That's on the ragged edge of legal...
It is, but it's not uncommon these days... Unfortunately (for whoever accepted the check) their only recourse (outside of using their own bank, assuming they have one) is to go back to the person who wrote the check. The person who is a customer of the bank might have recourse if they had damages because the bank wrongfully dishonored a check that otherwise met all the agreed to terms, but there likely were "terms" in the fine print when the person opened the account that allows the bank to do all sorts of things you might not like.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:41 pm

After having to deal with a fraudulent check recently (someone printed up their own checks with our account number and info and deposited via mobile deposit), I'm in favor of having decent security for cashing paper checks. We were lucky it didn't cause a string of bounced checks/payments before we caught it, but we still had to deal with changing the account number, filing an affidavit, and replacing our checks.

We avoid writing checks other than for payments to major institutions or to known family members, but we have dealt with a few small businesses in the last few months where checks were the best payment method and one of those may not have been as careful as they should be in keeping the checks secure.

Post by 123 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:32 pm

There can be fingerprinting requirements in other financial matters as well. In California if you have a document signature notarized on a property transaction like a deed the notary takes a thumb print for their signature book.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:36 pm

Required mainly in inner city banks.
All the Best, | Joe

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:40 pm

I have never run into this. If I were to receive a check drawn at BoA, I'd deposit it at my credit union. This, even though I literally walk right by a BoA branch on my lunchtime walk, 100 yards before I walk by my credit union. I don't walk into the Death Star.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:16 pm

Yep, ran into this many years ago. I was selling something to an unknown buyer who wanted to pay by check. I wasn’t sure if the check was good, so I brought it to the originating bank. These days I would use a more modern means, but this was before PayPal, Venmo, etc.

I’m curious why a fingerprint is such an issue? Getting a document notarized requires a fingerprint as does getting a Clear card, drivers license, Global Entry. Not sure I see the issue? What can be done with a print?

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:05 am

What would BoA do with this finger print, in either case of fraud or no fraud?

Seems to be security theater.
Most checks are scanned and shredded quickly. Scans can barely show a signature clearly, let alone a finger print.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:22 am

TetrisCollider wrote:

Sometimes there are unpredictable circumstances where one is in a situation that is outside of normal routine - such is life.

I see that most respondents do not see any issues with this fingerprinting policy and view it as a positive security protection.

Have you ever notarized anything?
How do you avoid the issue of having your finger print taken?

student

Post by student » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:40 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:22 am
TetrisCollider wrote:

Interesting. I had a document notarized at a Bank of American branch and no finger print was taken. Maybe this is because I was already a customer.
Last edited by student on Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

student

Post by student » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:48 am

Invest4lt wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:16 pm
I’m curious why a fingerprint is such an issue? Getting a document notarized requires a fingerprint as does getting a Clear card, drivers license, Global Entry. Not sure I see the issue? What can be done with a print?
Drivers license and Global Entry are from government agencies and Clear works with airport security authorities. So I am ok with that. I try not to give personal information unless it is absolutely necessary and I cannot avoid it. The more info they have on you, the higher chance of a successful identity theft.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:01 am

When we lived in an apartment in a not so nice area we had a TD Bank down on the corner. I opened an account there due to the very extended hours/7 day a week operation solely for the purpose of getting quarters for the laundry. I regularly waited on line behind people trying to cash checks without bank accounts. They were all finger printed and many times the clerk would attempt to call the account holder to verify that the check was indeed written to the person cashing it.

While you may view this as a huge inconvenience I view it as a great security. I mean, you’re asking a bank to trust a stranger who walks in with a piece of paper saying “give me $1000s in cash.”

I would never try to cash a check at a bank where I didn’t have an account. Not sure why you would have even thought to do this? Your bank will gladly give you cash for a check from anywhere. In fact, if you have a Charles Schwab account and use it regularly, they will clear checks deposited with their mobile app near instantaneously and then you can withdraw what you need from an ATM.

student

Post by student » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:17 am

I understand the need to prevent fraud. What I don't understand is why a government issued card is not sufficient. I would think a card that is good enough for TSA should be good enough for a bank.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:28 am

unclescrooge wrote:
TetrisCollider wrote:

I've had numerous things notarized. No one has ever asked for my fingerprint.

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:05 am

GAAP wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:16 pm
HueyLD wrote:

I went to a bank to cash a check that was drawn on the bank. I do not have an account with the bank and they refused to cash the check. Can it do this?

Yes. There is no federal law or regulation that requires banks to cash checks for noncustomers. Most banks have policies that allow check cashing services only for customers who have an account with them in order to protect both themselves and their customers from forgeries.

Once a bank cashes a check that has been forged by a noncustomer, they may lose money if they cannot collect from the person who cashed the check.

Also, if a bank agrees to cash a check for a noncustomer, it may legally charge the presenter a fee.

https://www.helpwithmybank.gov/get-answ ... ng-04.html
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:07 am

fru-gal wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:28 am
unclescrooge wrote:
TetrisCollider wrote:

State specific requirements. California, for instance, requires thumbprints in some cases.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:32 am

student wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:17 am
I understand the need to prevent fraud. What I don't understand is why a government issued card is not sufficient. I would think a card that is good enough for TSA should be good enough for a bank.
TSA isn’t giving you money.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:36 am

criticalmass wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:05 am

Most checks are scanned and shredded quickly. Scans can barely show a signature clearly, let alone a finger print.
In this situation:
NotWhoYouThink wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:14 pm
Around here, the scam is to steal a check, pay a druggie to go to the bank and cash it, and split the money. That way it's the druggie that gets caught, if anyone ever does, not the original thief. It's annoying to be treated like a drugged out thief at the bank, just like it's annoying to be treated like a terrorist at the airport.
If the druggie's fingerprints are already on file with the police, she will probably not agree to be finger-printed at the bank, and won't be able to cash the forged check. So it could prevent fraud. Or if her fingerprints are not yet on file, the crime could be solved when she is later arrested for something else.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:48 am

7eight9 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:05 am
I went to a bank to cash a check that was drawn on the bank. I do not have an account with the bank and they refused to cash the check. Can it do this?

Yes. There is no federal law or regulation that requires banks to cash checks for noncustomers. Most banks have policies that allow check cashing services only for customers who have an account with them in order to protect both themselves and their customers from forgeries.

Once a bank cashes a check that has been forged by a noncustomer, they may lose money if they cannot collect from the person who cashed the check.

Also, if a bank agrees to cash a check for a noncustomer, it may legally charge the presenter a fee.

https://www.helpwithmybank.gov/get-answ ... ng-04.html
While that's true, there is law that can hold the bank liable to their customer for "wrongfully dishonoring" the check.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/4/4-402
In practice, I doubt anyone would be able to fight the bank(s) on this, but at least in theory you might be able to have whoever wrote you the check arrested or fined for some sort of fraud, and they might then have some recourse against their bank that refused to honor a check on their own accounts.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:16 am

fru-gal wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:28 am
unclescrooge wrote:
TetrisCollider wrote:

Ah, I see only some states require it.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:34 am

joe8d wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:36 pm
Required mainly in inner city banks.
How would you know this?

Topic Author
TetrisCollider

Post by TetrisCollider » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:47 am

Again, thank you to all participating in this discussion. To answer some questions that were raised:
  • Why did I go to BoA and not my bank – It was much closer and specific circumstances would have made it much more convenient if they were able to cash it. I am not going to go into the specific circumstances, because that is not what my post is about.
  • Have I ever notarized anything – I have, many times. I generally notarize something almost every year. In my state, no fingerprinting has ever been requested of me or anyone else to notarize anything.
  • What is the issue of me putting a fingerprint on a check – the point is, I have no idea what they are doing with this. No-one knows what the banks do with your information or how secure it is. I have zero info about this. No policy of any sort was provided to me while requesting to put my fingerprint down. I am not about to willy-nilly leave my biometric information at various institutions. What’s next – saliva collection, blood samples, iris scanning?
  • Banks protecting themselves and their customers – sure, I understand that. But how is this a protection? If it truly somehow is a protection, that means they have to compare the fingerprint to some sort of a national police database. Somehow I doubt that is what they are doing. And if they are not doing this, then what is the point? What happens if I actually don’t have a proper fingerprint (which some people actually don’t and I know this from personal experience). So, as a private business, they can do and ask for whatever they want, but I obviously can refuse and walk away – as I did.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:56 am

TetrisCollider wrote:
I agree with you on this. Your only recourse is to use your bank (or mobile deposit options, but that's not an option for me - I've request that my checking account not allow internet access at all. (When travelling internationally, I use a different checking account (for the ATM option) that I established only for that purpose, and the balance in it is low unless I am travelling.)
===
The reason banks are doing this is that people who commit fraud has gotten very sophisticated, and you were asking the bank to hand over cash. If the bank had an option where you submitted the check, but got your cash only $10 later, they might not resort to the fingerprint, because that would allow them to make sure the check was valid. But this was probably not the option you wanted.

I'm all for protecting one's privacy though.

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:31 pm

TetrisCollider wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:47 am
  • What is the issue of me putting a fingerprint on a check – the point is, I have no idea what they are doing with this. No-one knows what the banks do with your information or how secure it is. I have zero info about this. No policy of any sort was provided to me while requesting to put my fingerprint down. I am not about to willy-nilly leave my biometric information at various institutions. What’s next – saliva collection, blood samples, iris scanning?
Facial recognition. That is a bit harder to avoid. :happy
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:27 pm

NotWhoYouThink wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:36 am
criticalmass wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:05 am

In this situation:
NotWhoYouThink wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:14 pm
If the druggie's fingerprints are already on file with the police, she will probably not agree to be finger-printed at the bank, and won't be able to cash the forged check. So it could prevent fraud. Or if her fingerprints are not yet on file, the crime could be solved when she is later arrested for something else.
Good luck to the bank with that I guess, unless the tellers are trained in taking good fingerprints and the check copy isn’t smeared. Does anyone have any success stories of solved check in-person deposit crimes solved by the fingerprint-on-check method?

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:54 pm

Good luck to the bank with that I guess, unless the tellers are trained in taking good fingerprints and the check copy isn’t smeared. Does anyone have any success stories of solved check in-person deposit crimes solved by the fingerprint-on-check method?
?????
The OP talked about cashing the check, not depositing the money from the check. The title of the thread includes the phrase "receiving cash." Which may not be something bogleheads use often, but street drugs are frequently bought and sold for cash which is why druggies forge checks and take them to banks.

As to whether the fingerprint has been used to tie the forgery to a person, yes, that is a tool used successfully by police.

student

Post by student » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:10 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:32 am
student wrote:
TSA is part of airport security. I would think stopping terrorists is higher on the totem pole than preventing simple bank fraud.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:13 pm

student wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:10 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
student wrote:
TSA is part of airport security. I would think stopping terrorists is higher on the totem pole than preventing simple bank fraud.
You think wrong. This is America. 😉

student

Post by student » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:31 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:13 pm
student wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:10 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
student wrote:
You think wrong. This is America. 😉
lol.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:44 pm

TetrisCollider wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:47 am
Banks protecting themselves and their customers – sure, I understand that. But how is this a protection? If it truly somehow is a protection, that means they have to compare the fingerprint to some sort of a national police database. Somehow I doubt that is what they are doing.
I think you’re missing the point of fingerprinting. Video surveillance cameras aren’t intended to spot crimes in progress, but rather to go back and identify the perpetrator after the fact. Someone vandalized your car? The police can pull surveillance video and maybe identify the culprit.

Similar idea for fingerprints, it’s about going back and identifying a thief after the theft is discovered. If someone steals your checks and cashes them at their own bank, there’s a chance the money can be recovered from that person’s account (at a minimum that’s where the bank and police will start). If they cash it at a check cashing place, the check casher is on the hook but charges such high fees to cover that risk. If the thief cashes the check at your bank, who’s the bank going to go after to recover the funds when you report them stolen? The thief. How will they find him or her? They don’t make a photocopy of the thief’s ID, do they? Enter the fingerprint. The bank isn’t going to run them against the database (only law enforcement can do that) but it’s available if the check turns out to be stolen.

ETA: most check cashing places also require fingerprints for checks cashed by customers without a history at that check casher.