What makes your dream house so special?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
KnowNth

What makes your dream house so special?

Post by KnowNth » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:16 pm

Many bogleheads have mentioned that they live in their dream house, some even cut down on travel because the house is so perfect.

So what makes your house so special to you? Is it Size? Yard? Decoration? View? Neighborhood?

JoeRetire

Re: What makes your dream house so special?

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:17 pm

Location.
Don't be a lemming.

mattshwink

Post by mattshwink » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:24 pm

1. Lot Size. In the surrounding area lots are generally 0.25 acres or smaller. All the houses in our neighborhood are ~0.6 acres

2. "Custom" House for good price - bought a short sale and was able to gut kitchen, master bath, guest bath. Have huge island, hand-picked appliances, everything we wanted. And since it's a short sale we did not overpay.

3. Community - Great community in just our neighborhood - Pool (in walking distance of our house) included in HOA, events like outdoor kids movie night, community campout, other events

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:26 pm

I don't live in a dream house, but I have special neighbors that make my house great for living in.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:30 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:17 pm
Location.
Yup

VeganBH

Post by VeganBH » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:06 pm

I think we're in our dream house, because of the neighborhood:
  • it's very walkable - to store, gym (nice pool/tennis etc.)
  • HOAs/CCRs that keep things tidy (well enforced) - and all the homes have front yard maintenance
  • though we're in a suburb of a large city - there are dedicated bike/walking paths and nature paths that allow us to ride our bikes/hike all day without mixing with cars
  • We can hop on public transportation (train) and get most places easily - even though we are able to drive (not driving is nice!)
  • Airport is only 1/2 hour away
  • house was fairly affordable - we chose the smallest available in the community
We're always thinking the grass might be greener somewhere else (cooler summer temps, less air pollution, etc.) - and visit new places with an eye for that....but so far, we've found a place that makes us happy.
"Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace."​ ~ Albert Sc​hweitzer

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:19 pm

Horses grazing outside our kitchen window, 20 acres of mowed grazing land surrounded by open rolling countryside with forever views. No traffic, no congestion. Few distant neighbors. The sounds of nature, hawks soaring overhead, ravens on the roof, owls hooting from the highest 3rd floor roof at night.
Space for everything we need but not ostentatious yet cozy. Workshop. Stables. Riding arena.
Small mountain town location yet all major stores available. Moderate climate. LCOL relatively. Peaceful. Minutes from National Forests and lakes.
Most importantly, no mortgage; DW is happy so that means. . . . . all is well. No need to go anywhere because we're already there.

We did not plan on buying our "dream house". We saw it after looking at 150 listings in a wide region. It was the last one. The price was steal and it was what we always wanted but thought would never have. Sometimes these things work out.

Actionably: A "dream house" can quickly become a "money pit" or a severe "cash drag" if not for adhering to "Bogle Financial Principles". Many have there "dream home" but are in debt with high mortgages late in life, reverse mortgages, overwhelming HELOC's, or are forced to remain working for income to support said dream house and dream lifestyle.

j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Megamill

Post by Megamill » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:05 pm

Own outright (no mortgage)
Walk-in closet in master
Dual vanity, walk-in shower master bath
First floor laundry
Good size flat lot in SAFE area with the BEST neighbors
Nobody behind us (conservancy behind back yard)
Single story
Finished dry basement with full bath, wet bar, extra living space and huge storage
Attached garage
Excellent schools
Close to "everything"
Reasonable RE taxes
Fireplace
The list goes on, but suffice to say, it checks all the boxes and all for under 2k sf.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:08 pm

I've moved well over 20 times. Best not to get attached to a house IMO.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:01 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:19 pm
Horses grazing outside our kitchen window, 20 acres of mowed grazing land surrounded by open rolling countryside with forever views. No traffic, no congestion. Few distant neighbors. The sounds of nature, hawks soaring overhead, ravens on the roof, owls hooting from the highest 3rd floor roof at night.
Space for everything we need but not ostentatious yet cozy. Workshop. Stables. Riding arena.
Small mountain town location yet all major stores available. Moderate climate. LCOL relatively. Peaceful.
Most importantly, no mortgage; DW is happy so that means. . . . . all is well. No need to go anywhere because we're already there.

Sounds very peaceful and enjoyable.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:02 pm

We were in our first homes for a long time and moved approximately three years ago. Found a home that was exactly what we wanted after searching for three years. Focusing on simplicity and decluterring our non-financial lives and it is paying off. Next home will be a downsize from this to a condo or adult community.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

gowri

Post by gowri » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:35 pm

We don't own a home. I have dreamt of a home though. A simple bungalow type house on our farm. I day dream of waking up in the morning, stepping out with my coffee and my husband onto our farm, working outside for most part of the day and spending evenings with family and friends.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:40 pm

KnowNth wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:16 pm
Many bogleheads have mentioned that they live in their dream house, some even cut down on travel because the house is so perfect.

So what makes your house so special to you? Is it Size? Yard? Decoration? View? Neighborhood?
We love the house, did from the first. Wooded view. No neighbors’ windows overlooking our yard or deck. A nice stone fireplace, eat- in kitchen and excellent layout, room to entertain and for the grandkids to play in the family room.

The neighbors on our street are the icing on the cake. It was pure luck that we moved to a street where there are regular neighborhood events and newcomers-are warmly welcomed. There’s an email list for any updates- school carnivals, a death, or someone alerting neighbors about a lost- or found - pet. When one neighbor, living alone, reached her 90s, struggled with clearing snow ( she refused to hire a plow) , neighbors gently offered to help and her driveway was kept cleared. No charge, of course.
It’s not intrusive. No one prys. Privacy is respected. It’s been wonderful for 27 years...and counting. We really should think more about downsizing...but it’s hard to leave this community where we’ve come to know our neighbors, rejoiced and grieved with them, watched our kids grow up, etc.

Good neighbors and a sense of community are no small things.

rascott

Post by rascott » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:50 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Small mountain town location yet all major stores available. Moderate climate. LCOL relatively. Peaceful.

So.... Location

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:34 am

Location. I love being near the coast.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:49 am

I wish I had my dream house: it would be a 1500 sf cottage with a large covered porch and a never-ending view of Puget Sound and the mountains.
I am living in my DH’s dream house: a lovely too big house on the fairway of a top golf course with a large landscaped yard that has become too much for us to maintain. He refuses to even consider downsizing or moving, and says the only way he will leave his dream house is in a pine box!

msk

Post by msk » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:07 am

We have two dream houses, each excellent for half the year because of climates, lousy for the other half year.
Cold climate, excellent for summer, bought as a recent build by an architect for his own use but he was going broke: 3500 scf, world class ocean view (lakesides invariably deliver mosquitos), private wharf, etc. Negative: wood construction so I have to tiptoe when DW wishes to sleep. Acre of garden and we do get the occasional Bambi sauntering around; but Bambi eats flowers :-( Even the occasional bald eagle resting next to the veranda. Near two of our kids and half the grandkids.
Hot climate, excellent for winter, self designed: 14,000 sq ft on an acre, just the right size for DW's gardening passion. And no Bambis so we keep a cat. Since it's our own design, it meets all our desires, except that it lacks an ocean view (a mile away) and has excessively hot summers. Near the rest of of our kids and rest of our grandkids. Ideal meeting place at Xmas for full family.
Life has been blessed and I am grateful for that.

josehde

Post by josehde » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:34 am

I don't think I have a dream house in the usual sense, which is often about size, number of rooms, location. My desires for my house are pretty simple -- something I would always look forward to going home to, would look very personal that anyone visiting would immediately remark that it is very "me" (goes the same for the rest of my family), have parts built with our own hands. Those are the things that would make it special, although admittedly to a very limited number of people (me and other family members).

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:46 am

Setting: surrounded by protected forest and wetlands, 3 acres of mowed land for dogs' invisible fence, can't see neighbors but they are a 5 minute walk away and are wonderful people
Nature: many frogs, birds, deer, fox, turkeys, and not so charmingly: coyotes, Fisher cats
Green: geothermal for heating/cooling, no oil burner, solar field, solar storage, wonderful tasting well water, gardens being transitioned into indigenous plants
Vibe: the house is being transformed into a blend of Asian minimalist and Danish hygge
Amenities: the kids and others are bribed into visiting with our tennis court, sauna, pool, hot tub, bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms (with Toto washlet toilets, walk-in showers, Circadian lighting, etc.)
Planning: the extensive renovations that we are 75% done with are with an eye to making it suitable for ageing in place, in addition to making it more enjoyable for us now while we are relatively mobile. Some of our family have mobility issues already.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

ER2023

Post by ER2023 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:01 am

We bought this dream house about 20 years ago and put quite a bit of money into it.

Location - beautiful mountain views, stunning sunrises/sunsets, rolling hills, views of spring fed ponds, far enough away from noise, but within 20 minutes of everything you need (great medical care, restaurants, entertainment, etc.).

Neighbors - they are like family. Quiet, respectful, jumps to help you whenever you need it. Far enough away that you can't see them, so completely private.

Lay out - very open concept, great for entertaining, lots of glass to see outside, high ceilings, nice size rooms, master bedroom opens to the pool so very private

Invested in luxuries - spa like bathroom, high end kitchen (we love to cook), very large garage, salt water pool, 4 fireplaces

It's perfect and we love it, but it will be time to downsize soon and save a lot of time and money!

vested1

Post by vested1 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:19 am

Our dream comes true tomorrow at closing when we pick up the keys. Lake front home with a covered dock and boat lift. Plenty of room for visiting friends and family by doubling the square footage of our previous home, great access to healthcare, friendly neighbors, private large lot. Completely remodeled kitchen with granite and new ss appliances, including a gas range which is rare here. Tripling our internet speed.

No mortgage. Luck has been our friend. Life is good (no reference to LG, we prefer Samsung). :wink:

Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:43 am

Paid off
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett

DrivingFun

Post by DrivingFun » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:08 am

This thread made me realize I don't have a dream house, rather I don't have any aspiration at this point to have a dream house or would even know what my dream house would look like.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:14 am

The garage

goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:19 am

The people in it.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | Do you know how to make a rain dance work? Dance until it rains.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:13 am

rascott wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:50 pm
Sandtrap wrote:

So.... Location
Prescott/Sedona AZ region.
Same setup in Hawaii would've run 10-20 mil.!
:happy

finfire

Post by finfire » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:15 am

No such thing as a dream house in my world. It's 4 walls and a roof.

shell921

Post by shell921 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:01 am

No mortgage
solid/ top quality construction
spacious but not pretentious [ under stated ]
dual pane windows
crown moulding
high end finishes/fixtures throughout
2 shelf ceilings -foyer & liv rm - lit with led lights
solid wood doors
beautiful custom cabinetry
open concept floorplan
200 degree view - lake on west side-mountains on other

private/quiet-- I am down off end of cul-de-sac - no neighbors right beside - yet
I am 4-5 minutes from pharmacy, banks, library, restaurants, grocery stores etc.

2 walk-in closets in master

Single story

Attached garage

2 fireplaces

custom house - designed by my late and husband and me 10 years ago

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:09 am

finfire wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:15 am
No such thing as a dream house in my world. It's 4 walls and a roof.
+1

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:15 am

My wife and kids live there.

(Maybe a distant second is the neighbor who lets us use his pool, so we don't have to build one ourselves. :happy )
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:15 am

I love our house, but I don't think my dream house exists. I would want:
  • View of mountains and/or water (so..PNW? Coastal Cali? New Zealand?)

Easy access to nature

Walkable

Easy access to thriving city - walking, public transit, or easy driving (Again, PNW? But Seattle lacks good transit and driving. Not sure about Portland.)

Decent size yard - room to run and play catch, grow vegetables, not too big to maintain.

About 3,000 sqft while kids are in the home, with a great kitchen
So here I am in a big, flat midwestern city. But I love our house and neighborhood.

veindoc

Post by veindoc » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:22 am

Gnirk wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:49 am
I wish I had my dream house: it would be a 1500 sf cottage with a large covered porch and a never-ending view of Puget Sound and the mountains.
I am living in my DH’s dream house: a lovely too big house on the fairway of a top golf course with a large landscaped yard that has become too much for us to maintain. He refuses to even consider downsizing or moving, and says the only way he will leave his dream house is in a pine box!
You need to have two homes then. When my mentor retired many years ago, he moved into a fairly rural part of the country to essentially homestead. This came as a shock to all of us because he struck us as a workaholic who had zero hobbies/interest. My husband is kinda the same so I asked my newly minted husband of about 3 years where he would imagine retiring too. He talked about a ranch in the middle of nowhere replete with cattle and goats and such. My answer: penthouse condo in the middle of a major city. I knew then, our saving/retirement plan would have to include money to purchase two retirement homes.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:29 am

veindoc wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:22 am
Gnirk wrote:
You need to have two homes then. When my mentor retired many years ago, he moved into a fairly rural part of the country to essentially homestead. This came as a shock to all of us because he struck us as a workaholic who had zero hobbies/interest. My husband is kinda the same so I asked my newly minted husband of about 3 years where he would imagine retiring too. He talked about a ranch in the middle of nowhere replete with cattle and goats and such. My answer: penthouse condo in the middle of a major city. I knew then, our saving/retirement plan would have to include money to purchase two retirement homes.
+1
DW loves our mini ranch. For myself; a high end quiet small home in a private golf course development in the Hawaii mountains but near the city would be nice. No yardwork. No exterior maintenance. Great golf course. But, as long as DW is happy, I'm happy. :D :D
j

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:48 am

Location-direct ocean access; out the back door, into the boat and heading to incredible dive locations in 45 seconds

No mortgage-no worries and no financial pressure

Layout-enough bedrooms to comfortably host a crowd, including a completely separate 1/1 full apartment downstairs. Like having our own AirBnB, guests can be with us and yet have their own privacy and comfortable living and sleeping space
Corollary: layout that is cozy and comfortable as well for just the two of us so when we don't have guests we don't ever feel like we're rattling around in a too large space

Swimming pool-always dreamed of having my own, didn't think that would ever happen. Now it has and the pool is even sited on the lot so it's in shade after mid day, perfect for floating around all afternoon with no worries about sunburn

Neighborhood full of warm, friendly people who always willing to lend a hand if needed, as well as prone to kicking off spontaneous cocktail and potluck gatherings. Bonus that there are a sizable number of FT residents in an area that overall is majority absentee owners (second/vacation homes)

Small town feel-road usually not crowded, stores same. Weekends and holidays can get busy but still no comparison to previous location. Moving from a population of 2.7 million to 17,000 helps with making life more pleasant overall

That said, we are still close to all necessary big city amenities-one hour drive puts us into range of every possible necessity or luxury needed, from big box stores (none in our area) to cultural centers to medical specialists

We bought this place with excitement and gratitude, emotions which have only grown and deepened as the years have passed. Our dream came true and we still look at each other and marvel at how wonderful life can be.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:13 am

It's in the town where I want to live. I can walk to the grocery store, movie theater, bar/restaurant (all w/in .25 miles) and if I really want to get adventurous the entire downtown is only about a 15 min walk away.

I bought the house when I was 32, raised my kids in it, there is room when they come back and visit and I'll probably die in it. It would hardly be considered many's dream house (1960 ranch), no walk in closets, no master suite bathroom. But it's paid for and it's home.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:54 am

I kind of thought I bought my dream house in 2003. I left it for a number of years (rented it out) and recently returned. Fortunately the PM kept it in solid condition. Now in wonder if it is a dream house.

Pros: Single story, 2,000 sq ft home, travertine flooring, nice pool, great landscaping, fruit trees border the back yard with a nice patio, 2 car garage, generally quiet in a very nice neighborhood, lots of nice resorts and restaurants around (5-15 minutes) to people watch and get a good meal. Bonus: 10 mile, 15-20 minute door to door commute. (And it will be paid off shortly.)

Cons: Main one is growth. Scottsdale is growing by leaps and bounds with a number of high rises about 10-15 minutes north of me, and a large Ritz Carlton residence place about 5-10 minutes south of me. All of this will lead to more traffic and congestion in restaurants, shops, etc. This time of the year (summer) is the low season and yet, even mid-week, you may wait for a table at a restaurant. I'm very wary as to how bad it will get this fall/winter/spring with the tourists in town, major sporting events nearby and spring training.

The cons may cause me to go back to square one as to where I want to retire to. I've eliminated the southeast (way too humid for me), while I don't mind snow and actually love a snowy day I'm not looking for a long winter and temps in the single digit or below.

In some ways I'm tempted to sell the place and wait for the likely substantial drop in real estate prices around here ala 2008 (I saw nice homes double in value only to fall back to original or lower prices within a few years) although I'm not sure if I want to do that. Moving is painful.

The only thing I'd really like to have (besides the growth stopping) is a view of snow covered mountains. The brown mountains are different (at least to someone from the east who don't see mountains on a daily basis) but the view is much more magical with snow on them :)

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:11 am

Cooled in summer. Heated in winter. Protects from the elements.

A house is just something that sits outside in the rain and rots. Realtors don't sell houses - they sell homes.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

ER2023

Post by ER2023 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:44 pm

MrBobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:13 am
It's in the town where I want to live. I can walk to the grocery store, movie theater, bar/restaurant (all w/in .25 miles) and if I really want to get adventurous the entire downtown is only about a 15 min walk away.

I bought the house when I was 32, raised my kids in it, there is room when they come back and visit and I'll probably die in it. It would hardly be considered many's dream house (1960 ranch), no walk in closets, no master suite bathroom. But it's paid for and it's home.
Loved this post. Sounds like a dream home to me. :happy

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:03 pm

I have always called it "my first/second house" because it was so much more than I ever thought I would have in a first house (bought when I was in early 40s). Now, after 29 years, I should probably call it my first/last house as I will likely only move to go into some type of CCRC or (yikes) memory care facility.
I think the aspect that first grabbed me was the openness and light. (The RE agent was sitting in the living room reading a newspaper with only natural light.) Living alone, I didn't want to come home from work to make dinner in a closed off room. Aside from bathrooms and laundry, there are only two rooms (upstairs) that can be closed off with their own doors.
My house is special because it is mine. Mortgage paid off. I've made a few changes that suit the way I live, e.g., backyard is 2/3 stone-paved to create a large patio that extends my living space. I enjoy travelling, but I am always glad to come back to my little house.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:37 pm

My wife and I can catch salmon, crab, and shrimp from salt water on a weeknight without even having to start an engine.

West facing mountain views = amazing sunsets

Things can change and there are other dream houses out there but if I'm lucky the last thing I'll do in the house is fall down the stairs.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:59 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:37 pm
My wife and I can catch salmon, crab, and shrimp from salt water on a weeknight without even having to start an engine.

West facing mountain views = amazing sunsets

Things can change and there are other dream houses out there but if I'm lucky the last thing I'll do in the house is fall down the stairs.
I am so envious!!!!!

goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:42 pm

veindoc wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:22 am
Gnirk wrote:
Hopefully, two homes with your same (old) husband. It will be cheaper that way. :D
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | Do you know how to make a rain dance work? Dance until it rains.