Ally bank app vs Bank of America app

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
bogleboy

Ally bank app vs Bank of America app

Post by bogleboy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:14 pm

How would you rate the Ally bank app vs Bank of America app?

I have an account with BOA but am itching to get rid of it. Any major benefits to either app?

obgraham

Re: Ally bank app vs Bank of America app

Post by obgraham » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:29 pm

All I can add is that the Ally app is clear, simple, and works well.

My experience with BOA is that they don't see value in such.

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:33 am

I don't think there's a major problem with the BofA app. It works fine. It's just that their Bill Pay system they force you to use to pay your credit cards is really bad. Otherwise, you can do all the things you would normally do with an app. Transfer, deposit checks, etc. Ally doesn't seem all that different. But I don't really use the apps a lot TBH.

xb7

Post by xb7 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:26 am

I use the Ally app reasonably often, and with the fingerprint login I find it's faster in general to access accounts via an Android device vs. a windows browser --- FWIW. The Ally app works well for me. One caveat I can think of is that for some reason Ally splits functionality between two different apps --- "Ally Mobile", the main app, and "Card Controls", which allows you to do things related to a debit card. It seems a bit clumsy to me to have this as two separate apps, but I rarely mess with the Card Controls app, and it's worked well enough the couple of times that I have so ... I guess no issue.

I know nothing of BA or it's app(s).

BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:16 am

I use BoA and prefer the website to the app. Can’t speak to Ally.

However, the app is not in my top criteria for bank selection.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:17 am

I don't use Ally's app enough to judge one way or another, but their website is great - easy to use, intuitive, fast. Of all the bank/financial websites I've ever used, Ally's is the best, by far.

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:30 am

I find the Ally online access via PC to be clear, simple and easy to use. I do not have any financial apps or transaction ability on my phone for security concerns. Accessing all financial sites on PC via a password manager such as LastPass, with long strong alpha numeric and symbol passwords is easy and simple enough.

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:52 am

midareff wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:30 am
I find the Ally online access via PC to be clear, simple and easy to use. I do not have any financial apps or transaction ability on my phone for security concerns. Accessing all financial sites on PC via a password manager such as LastPass, with long strong alpha numeric and symbol passwords is easy and simple enough.
I'm pretty sure that nowadays banking apps are considered to be lower security risk than going through web sites. However, to each his own.

softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:08 am

BofA app is fine and better than most. Better than chase. On the other hand, service is awful. However, BofA offers the best incentives for larger account holders with credit cards and cheap jumbo mortgages.