Cashier's check with husband and wife's name

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
squirm

Cashier's check with husband and wife's name

Post by squirm » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:51 pm

Do we have to both sign it to deposit? It's a joint account.

Kosmo

Re: Cashier's check with husband and wife's name

Post by Kosmo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:48 pm

My personal experience was yes both have to sign. For a check made payable to X and Y, then X and Y have to sign, not X or Y. I've had both a mobile deposit and an in person deposit rejected for that reason. On both occasions my wife was out of town and couldn't sign. I opted to wait and not to forge her signature.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:05 pm

I have never had an issue with checks written to my wife and I, when depositing 100% of the funds into a joint account - only being signed by me. This would be with Chase bank.

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:36 pm

The Uniform Commercial Code addresses the OP's question:

UCC 3-110(d): "If an instrument is payable to two or more persons alternatively, it is payable to any of them and may be negotiated, discharged, or enforced by any or all of them in possession of the instrument. If an instrument is payable to two or more persons not alternatively, it is payable to all of them and may be negotiated, discharged, or enforced only by all of them. If an instrument payable to two or more persons is ambiguous as to whether it is payable to the persons alternatively, the instrument is payable to the persons alternatively."
https://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/3/3-110
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:56 am

After my husband passed away I had no trouble depositing checks made out to both of us into our joint account. I endorsed the check with just my name and noted for deposit only. This was Santander bank.

Gill

Post by Gill » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:20 am

Mapmaker wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:56 am
After my husband passed away I had no trouble depositing checks made out to both of us into our joint account. I endorsed the check with just my name and noted for deposit only. This was Santander bank.
It was no longer a joint account.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:03 am

Gill wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:20 am
Mapmaker wrote:
It was no longer a joint account.
Gill
It was until it wasn't as far the bank was concerned.

Cheers

obafgkm

Post by obafgkm » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:05 am

Mapmaker wrote:
On the other hand, checks written to me and my late wife (escrow overages from the mortgage company; I haven't notified them of my wife's death) are easily deposited into my account at one credit union but not another credit union.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:06 am

You can deposit checks without signature by endorsing "For Deposit Only" and the account number written on the back of the check. I do this all the time.

Cheers

Pete3

Post by Pete3 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:26 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:06 am
You can deposit checks without signature by endorsing "For Deposit Only" and the account number written on the back of the check. I do this all the time.
I don't even both with that when electronically depositing checks at USAA (via SmartPhone app) - I noticed they don't seem to care so I no longer bother, just scan both sides and that's it.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:35 pm

[/quote]
I don't even both with that when electronically depositing checks at USAA (via SmartPhone app) - I noticed they don't seem to care so I no longer bother, just scan both sides and that's it.
[/quote]

Same with CapOne we leave it blank on the reverse side.

megabad

Post by megabad » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:47 pm

I have both signed and endorsed checks as "Mickey Mouse" before with no issues. Though I haven't done so with a joint account yet, I would bet that most banks wouldn't check very carefully. I would think if you scrawl two illegible lines on the endorsement it might go through.

MP123

Post by MP123 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:01 pm

I've also had no issues depositing joint checks with only one signature into a non-joint account. But those checks were smallish.

If OP's cashiers check is the proceeds of a house sale or something like that it might be worth doing it by the books.

At some dollar value there is more scrutiny (hopefully).