Should we move

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Fishing2retire

Should we move

Post by Fishing2retire » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:38 pm

Hi all looking for some guidance on if my family of five should move?
Currently live in a 1956 3 bed 1/1/2 bath 1400 square feet house. We bought the house to be closer to work and kids school about 2 1/2 years ago. I’m 40 wife is 36
Kids 8,6 and 2. Me and the wife are 1 mile from work kids can walk to schools life is very convenient here however we would like more space but can’t afford our local housing market. Would have to move 20 minutes away from work, kids start a new school. Thoughts please!

livesoft

Re: Should we move

Post by livesoft » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:45 pm

If you can move and stay within 3 miles of jobs, then that would be OK with me. If not, renovate and add to your home.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:47 pm

Fishing2retire wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:38 pm
Currently live in a 1956 3 bed 1/1/2 bath 1400 square feet house. We bought the house to be closer to work and kids school about 2 1/2 years ago. I’m 40 wife is 36
Kids 8,6 and 2. Me and the wife are 1 mile from work kids can walk to schools life is very convenient here however we would like more space but can’t afford our local housing market. Would have to move 20 minutes away from work, kids start a new school. Thoughts please!
That convenience would be very hard for me to give up! Although, by today's standards and desires, the house is fairly small for your size family.

If you move to a more affordable real estate area, your commuting (and perhaps some other costs) will go up - maybe a lot

What does your wife want?

Can you add on to the house or make changes to get more space? If you are in an area or development with a lot of similar (or identical) houses of that era, others have probably increased space - so look around to see what others may have done.

tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:49 pm

I wouldn't want to move. Living 20+ minutes away from work with 3 kids wouldn't be fun.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:50 pm

With young children, your current home’s great proximity to work and school is a huge benefit. I know the new home would “only” be 20 minutes away from work. But, the ability to pop home at lunchtime, easily get to kids’ school and sports events, pickup a sick kid from school quickly, etc. is priceless.

If you absolutely need more space, my suggestion is to renovate or buy in your current neighborhood. If you can’t afford it, save up until you can.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:52 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:50 pm
With young children, your current home’s great proximity to work and school is a huge benefit. I know the new home would “only” be 20 minutes away from work. But, the ability to pop home at lunchtime, easily get to kids’ school and sports events, pickup a sick kid from school quickly, etc. is priceless.
If you absolutely need more space, my suggestion is to renovate or buy in your current neighborhood. If you can’t afford it, save up until you can.
There is sometimes a big difference between what you can afford and what amount of a mortgage you can qualify for.

JOEVANDAL

Post by JOEVANDAL » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:55 pm

If you can remodel/add on to your home I would do it. Other than a smaller home by today's standards, you have an awesome set up. What does your wife want?
Even if you don't add on, having everything (schools and work) so close, makes life so much more enjoyable.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:57 pm

Fishing2retire wrote:
Figure out which is more important to you - more space, or convenience, closer to work and school, along with continuity for the kids.
Don't be a lemming.

delamer

Post by delamer » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:58 pm

If your living space is tight now, it will be even tighter when the kids are older and bigger.

And it will be easier in the kids to move now than to switch schools later.

If an addition is possible, then plan for that financially. If not, then make the move.

Topic Author
Fishing2retire

Post by Fishing2retire » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:15 pm

Wife wants what I want so that makes the decision hard.
We talked about master suite in basement and add a shower. Keep kids upstairs. We have a contract on our house contingent on us finding a house with the buyer rights to be released if he finds another house we got 18,000 over asking

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:31 pm

What is the rest of the neighborhood like in terms of houses - age, size, etc.? How big is the lot - will it fit everything you want (garage, etc.)? If you have a good lot, what would it cost to just demolish what you have and start over vs. doing add-ons or improvements?

BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:01 pm

You've got a pretty good set-up. I'd probably look at maybe adding a bedroom and a full bath if your lot/layout is conducive to that. It can be expensive, but so is buying and selling. Your current arrangement is so convenient, it would be hard to give that up.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:39 pm

Fishing2retire wrote:
Currently live in a 1956 3 bed 1/1/2 bath 1400 square feet house.
We talked about master suite in basement and add a shower.
If the basement is not included in the 1400 square feet then that could readily be made to work with some remodeling. I am not a big fan of basement bedrooms but with a basement you should not need to use much space upstairs for storage and you may be able to make a rec room and big bathroom in the basement for the kids.
Fishing2retire wrote:
I’m 40 wife is 36
If you get a new 30 year mortage then it will not be paid off until you are 70 and 66. Be careful about overextending yourself.
Fishing2retire wrote:
Kids 8,6 and 2.
You only have 9 or 10 year until your oldest kid will likely be off to college and out of the house. In about 12 years you middle kid will do the same.

If the 6 and 8 year olds are the same gender then people have posted about how they ended up being really close with a sibling because they shared a bedroom with them.

If you wait to move then the older kids could be getting into middle and high school which would make changing schools a lot harder on the kids. It you are going to move then the next few years would be the best time to do it and mortage interest rates are really good now.

You really don't need a a large house for that long so muddling through in a smaller house might not be all that bad.
Fishing2retire wrote:
Would have to move 20 minutes away from work...
According to this web site the nations average commute time is 26.1 minutes one way so 20 minutes would not be all that bad.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/study-s ... mutes.html

You need to be careful though since 20 minutes might be on a good day but there will also be occasional not so good days, bad days, terrible days, and the occasional commute from hell. If either of you have jobs where it would be a problem to be 10 minutes late for work because of traffic then you may need to leave for work a lot more than 20 minutes ahead of time just so you will still get to work on time if the commute is bad that day.

The commute may also get worse as there is more development. When I moved to where I live now I had a pretty consistent 30 minute commute. By the time I retired it was more like 45 minutes on a good day and there were many bad days.
Fishing2retire wrote:
Thoughts please!
The relative quality of the schools could be a deciding factor and you did not mention that.

I don't see a compelling need to move but I can understand the desire.

You didn't give a lot of details about the financials and other factors so they could be a determine factor especially if the money would be tight if you moved.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:56 pm

If you have not already seen it you might also want to read this active thread about someone that is thinking about moving the other way from the suburbs to an old part of town. In there case they are looking at a much older historic home but many of the other issues are the same.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=287797

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:23 pm

My thought is absolutely do not move but make do, get creative with some sort of remodeling/addition, and bide your time considering you may be able to afford a larger home in the next few years.

Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:39 pm

I would trade almost anything for an extra 40 minutes a day with the family in a cramped house.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.

Topic Author
Fishing2retire

Post by Fishing2retire » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:01 am

Thanks for all the great points to consider. I know in the end it’s wants versus needs. The total livable square footage is 2200 with basement. There is a family room in basement with a office which we use as a spare bedroom. Can’t technically call it a bedroom unless I install a egress window. Two oldest kids are boy and girl and it’s time for them to have there own room. We thought about combining both the girls in same room but youngest still takes naps so that’s when we thought we could Move our bedroom to the basement and give the kids there own room. Decision decisions!

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:05 am

While you have a great logistical situation now, i think a 20min commute would still be in the "great to good" category in my book. I'd be willing to do that for a bigger comfier house for sure.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:10 am

Are you sure it is only 20 minutes drive? In many locations, 20 minutes with no traffic can mean an hour or more in rush hour traffic.

Keep the house. Let the kids share rooms until you remodel your basement. I know plenty of people with two kids living in fewer than three bedroom homes.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:28 am

1 what does wife want?
2 repeat #1

Seriously 😳
J
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

willardx

Post by willardx » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:47 am

Our family lived in 2 bedroom/1.5 bathroom, 1,500sf house for 19 months while we remodeled/rebuilt our house. Our three girls were 12, 10 and 10 (twins) at the start of the 19 months. The girls shared a large, converted 1-car garage as their bedroom; before we moved into the smaller house, I carved out an extra powder room from the existing full bathroom because I dreaded the thought of five of us sharing one toilet.

At first, everything was new and fun with the girls sharing the bedroom. But later in our time there, I found out my oldest daughter was spending time in the bathroom just to take a break from her sisters. They get along really well normally, with the occasional fights followed by making up. But as we stayed in the temporary house longer, I could tell that the girls needed their own space to be alone. Which made us second guess whether the twins should have a shared bedroom in the new house.

With delays, we stayed in the temporary house about 7 months longer than we expected. Our new house has 4 bedrooms/4.5 bathrooms, 3,300sf. The oldest got her own bedroom while the twins moved into their shared bedroom and were fine with it until a couple years ago, when one twin took over a guest bedroom on another floor. Because of all the bickering between the twins about who left a mess, etc., we decided it was worth the peace to separate them.

The girls are now 17/15/15. They will still sometimes all sleep together if they want to (stay up late talking, then sleeping). But it's nice that they can retreat to their own rooms if they need to take a break. Our oldest will be a senior in high school this fall, so the thought that she will be gone to college next year has made them grow closer for now.

All this to say, our family managed to survive shrinking down into a small house for almost two years, but we enjoy the breathing room in our new house. But when all the kids are out of the house, it will feel pretty empty for just two people. Of course, we designed the house so that we could live on one floor as empty nesters, but two floors of the house will go unused most of the year. The kids survived the transitions and they are as close as they were before, and my wife and I survived the home-building process, no small feat.

We also live within walking distance of schools and work, which is why we decided to stay in the neighborhood instead of moving. Before moving to this neighborhood many years ago, we lived in a subdivision and I disliked it for the usual reasons.

I hope this helps, good luck with your big decisions.

chevca

Post by chevca » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:00 am

Fishing2retire wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:15 pm
Wife wants what I want so that makes the decision hard.
We talked about master suite in basement and add a shower. Keep kids upstairs. We have a contract on our house contingent on us finding a house with the buyer rights to be released if he finds another house we got 18,000 over asking
What? You put your house up for sale without a place to move to, or barely even a plan? Who agreed to this? Neither here nor there though.

Seems to me you're having cold feet about the move now. Did you really want to move, but now you're thinking, hmmm this house is really convenient...

In a later post you said there's 2200 sq ft available if arranged or made to work. I'd make it work. You guys have a very convenient set up with work and school being so close to home. Unless there's a crime or undesirable issue, stay put. IMO.

Topic Author
Fishing2retire

Post by Fishing2retire » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:39 am

Yes commute would be 20/25 with traffic so not too bad. We would be able to put down 20% with the sale of our house and have about 25K left over.

crre

Post by crre » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:47 am

we were in this situation 20 years ago. we added a bedroom and are extremely happy with our decision. if the only thing you are missing is space, and if that is easily remedied by adding a bedroom, go for it. there too many unknowns with moving (new school, new neighbors) to risk a move when everything else is good.

best of luck.

Topic Author
Fishing2retire

Post by Fishing2retire » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:40 am

You all made some really good points that me and the wife talked about. I think for the time being we will stay here and make things work. It could be a lot worse than not having enough space for my family.

Thanks everyone for looking at this from different angles.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:06 am

Fishing2retire wrote:
Normally, I fall on the side of staying in current house for threads about moving to bigger houses. But I live in a ~1400 sq. ft house with 3BR and 2BA and I'm single. IMO you will definitely need more space as your kids get older.

Is this a ranch-style or Cape Cod style 2-story house? I grew up in a neighborhood built in the early 60s. Lots of people ended up converting their garage into an extra room or adding an addition on the back of their house. Would either be an option for you? If you could add on a master bedroom and bath you would have 4BR and 2.5BA and could probably be quite comfortable.

I just noticed your additional post about the basement (and the contract on your house). Why didn't you mention this in your original post? The sales contract sounds very odd - can you just stop looking for a house and say you weren't able to find one? Or would you be in breach of contract?

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:17 am

Fishing2retire wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:01 am
Thanks for all the great points to consider. I know in the end it’s wants versus needs. The total livable square footage is 2200 with basement. There is a family room in basement with a office which we use as a spare bedroom. Can’t technically call it a bedroom unless I install a egress window. Two oldest kids are boy and girl and it’s time for them to have there own room. We thought about combining both the girls in same room but youngest still takes naps so that’s when we thought we could Move our bedroom to the basement and give the kids there own room. Decision decisions!

Even with no basement I'd stay put. With the basement option, I'd definitely stay put.

For a data point, we are a family of 4 (and a big dog) in a 1650 sf home built in 1958. It is updated, but we'd like to do more renovations in a few years. We are 10 minutes from my wife's office and walking distance to elementary and middle schools. I want to move to the mountains, but we're not doing that any time soon.

Topic Author
Fishing2retire

Post by Fishing2retire » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:28 am

So our contract is contingent on us finding a house with the option of the buyer to be released if they find a house before we do up to a certain date after date has passed then we either renew contract or both parties can terminate contract. We did this so we didn’t end up in a apartment with three young kids which that’s exactly where we would be if we didn’t have the contingency.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:16 am

cherijoh wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:06 am
Fishing2retire wrote:
Normally, I fall on the side of staying in current house for threads about moving to bigger houses. But I live in a ~1400 sq. ft house with 3BR and 2BA and I'm single. IMO you will definitely need more space as your kids get older.
"Need" is such an interesting word. Sounds like there is plenty of room to expand in the basement. As it sits, their home is more space than I happily was raised in (and there was 7 of us). The convenience of the current location is almost priceless; I did the same thing, bought much less house than I could have (and everybody said it was too small for my family) so that I could have a walking commute and could not possibly be happier after almost 4yrs...the wife and I have actually talked about wanting less room (currently 1480sq. ft. for family of 4).
Last edited by stoptothink on Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:42 am

In this area, a 20 minute commute is considered short or very short.

Over the decades, I have had both short and longer commutes - and survived.

The OPs really short commute, as well as high satisfaction with the current neighborhood, though, seem so appealing - that I would really consider some kind of addition, remodeling or other ways of making the current house satisfactory.

It is so fascinating, and somewhat puzzling, that these smaller, by today's standards, were very satisfactory in past generations for even larger families.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:48 am

De-clutter and spend $10k on new smaller/slim/space saving/efficient furniture and smaller pieces. A bargain compared to moving.

Boom. You have more space. :wink:

It sounds like you have a nice setup. I wouldn't want to change at this point.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:52 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:48 am
De-clutter and spend $10k on new smaller/slim/space saving/efficient furniture and smaller pieces. A bargain compared to moving.
Boom. You have more space. :wink:
It sounds like you have a nice setup. I wouldn't want to change at this point.
Great idea..

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:53 am

Fishing2retire wrote:
It's only 10 years till they start moving out, in 12 years you'll have more than enough room. No way I'd give up the convenience. Been where you are and now am on the other side and am actually a bit nostalgic for the days when all the kids were growing up in our smallish house.

Do not discount the value of a short commute to work/schools. I go home for lunch every day and when the kids were in HS they came home for lunch too (they had an hour if you would believe it). Some of the best time I spent with them visiting everyday.
Last edited by MrBobcat on Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:01 am

Fishing2retire wrote:
Well there you go, problem solved. Older two wanted their own room when they got older and we stuck them in non-conforming rooms in the basement. Worked fine. We have a 1960 ranch 2200 square feet (counting basement) with a bath and a half, totally workable for a family of 5.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:35 am

MrBobcat wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:01 am
Fishing2retire wrote:
Well there you go, problem solved. Older two wanted their own room when they got older and we stuck them in non-conforming rooms in the basement. Worked fine. We have a 1960 ranch 2200 square feet (counting basement) with a bath and a half, totally workable for a family of 5.
By “non-conforming”, do you mean the children’s basement bedrooms didn’t meet building code requirements like two points of egress for fire safety reasons? Or something more benign like the rooms were a square foot smaller than required by code?

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:40 am

HomeStretch wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:35 am
MrBobcat wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:01 am
Fishing2retire wrote:
By “non-conforming”, do you mean the children’s basement bedrooms didn’t meet building code requirements like two points of egress for fire safety reasons? Or something more benign like the rooms were a square foot smaller than required by code?
In my opinion, I might be concerned about such "non-conforming" use if there was a safety hazard (such as egress in case of fire) in such use.

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:10 am

Fishing2retire wrote:
The total livable square footage is 2200 with basement.
vs
Currently live in a 1956 3 bed 1/1/2 bath 1400 square feet house.
:oops:
Fishing2retire wrote:
There is a family room in basement with a office which we use as a spare bedroom. Can’t technically call it a bedroom unless I install a egress window.
:oops: :oops:

Add the window and eventually another bathroom and you will be fine.
Fishing2retire wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:40 am
You all made some really good points that me and the wife talked about. I think for the time being we will stay here and make things work. It could be a lot worse than not having enough space for my family.
Good decision. Even if the finished basement is not ideal 2,200 square feet is more than enough space.

I did a cross country relocation when our only kid was in middle school so our situation was a lot different but we moved to the south were people really like LARGE houses and housing is not terribly expensive so lots of people buy really LARGE houses. We actually had a hard time finding a nice reasonably sized smaller house on a nice lot. We are glad that we did since having a bit smaller house during the teenage years helps keep the line of communication open with some enforced closeness. We know people that have large 5,000+ square foot three level McMansions that meant that their kids pretty much lived in their own part of the house and they would rarely see them. Sometimes when you have a sulky teenageer it is important to just be with them.

robphoto

Post by robphoto » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:37 am

It's definitely nice when the house is set up so you are seeing your kids, they're not way up in the far part of the house with their own bath, etc.

When you say that you're in a great neighborhood, great schools, close to work, etc., I focus on the fact that with your move you would lose close to an hour a day in your car, instead of with your family. That's a big expense!

Topic Author
Fishing2retire

Post by Fishing2retire » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:05 pm

Yes sometimes it’s nice being close to the kids somedays is not. However I agree that we can monitor them much easier with a smaller house.

celia

Post by celia » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:25 pm

Look at this long term. In about 10 years the oldest will be going to college, maybe moving into a dorm or apartment. Can you use "dorm furniture" (raised bed with desk/storage/ dressers underneath) or storage furniture or get rid of unneeded stuff to make more room? This will only be a "problem" for 10 years (unless you have more kids).

When you listed your house for sale, what was your thinking at that time? It sounds like you don't know if you want to move or not which should be figured out before you listed the house.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:07 pm

For furniture ideas that might (not 100% sure) be "space saving" - look at this

https://thisendup.com/

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:16 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:16 am
cherijoh wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:06 am
Fishing2retire wrote:
"Need" is such an interesting word. Sounds like there is plenty of room to expand in the basement. As it sits, their home is more space than I happily was raised in (and there was 7 of us). The convenience of the current location is almost priceless; I did the same thing, bought much less house than I could have (and everybody said it was too small for my family) so that I could have a walking commute and could not possibly be happier after almost 4yrs...the wife and I have actually talked about wanting less room (currently 1480sq. ft. for family of 4).
My post was made based on the original post where no mention was made of any basement square footage. Where I live (in the South) basements are rare, so I assumed they had 1400 sq. ft and that's it. I agree 2200 sq. ft. is more than sufficient for 5 people although I do think they need to add another bathroom. (I am trying to imagine a family of 5 with 3 teenagers and only one full bathroom). :shock: I also think the OP would "need" more than just the heated space mentioned in first post to keep his/her sanity with 3 teenagers! :wink:

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:29 pm

Our master bedroom is in the basement and it's awesome. Quiet, cool and dark and it frees up the space on the second floor for 2 separate dedicated home offices.

We have room for a bed, sectional sofa/coffee table, bar area/slot machine and huge TV on the wall. It's like sleeping in a Vegas hotel room.

It really frees up space for other uses. I'd look at doing that as part of a remodel.
Moderator Warning-Free Since 2017.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:45 pm

Kids can walk to schools in new area right? Look for a house close to a school... Kids starting new school? I worked at an elementary schools for years and there is frequent movement at the elementary level. Kids are so young 6 and 8 there is almost no history at that school ....K and 2nd grade???? Kids are resilient. I understand if they were in 9th grade, that would be very different.

20 minutes from work is really not that far at all, IMHO. Now if it was an hour, that is a different story.

Sounds like ultra convenience for you vs a newer, larger house
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

Topic Author
Fishing2retire

Post by Fishing2retire » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:07 pm

New house would not be walking distance but bus pickups or mom dropping off the kids. The kids really like there school but they do make friends pretty easy. I also work for the schools there in now. So being able to keep an eye on them occasionally is good and knowing most of the teachers staff and administrators is good unless the kids are bad :wink: there Aunt also works for the district at the High School level so that’s a plus too.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:04 am

Fishing2retire wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:07 pm
New house would not be walking distance but bus pickups or mom dropping off the kids. The kids really like there school but they do make friends pretty easy. I also work for the schools there in now. So being able to keep an eye on them occasionally is good and knowing most of the teachers staff and administrators is good unless the kids are bad :wink: there Aunt also works for the district at the High School level so that’s a plus too.
Yep, stay put