Anyone used AimLoan or Watermark Financial to Refinance?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
MickMal

Anyone used AimLoan or Watermark Financial to Refinance?

Post by MickMal » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:22 pm

I live in California and have a 30 year fixed mortgage at 3.50% (Wells Fargo) and considering refinancing to a 15 year fixed. I shopped all of the big banks who offered rates above 3.00% on the 15 year and found AimLoan and Watermark Home Loans who are offering rates as low as 2.50% (with points) on the 15 year. My wife and I are planning to remain in the house long term so refinancing is appealing.

May I please ask if any fellow Bogleheads have done business with either company and if so, feedback would be appreciated.

abyan

Re: Anyone used AimLoan or Watermark Financial to Refinance?

Post by abyan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:30 pm

I was literally JUST looking at Aimloan a few minutes ago for a refi as well. Total costs are around $2300. Very tempting, but was wondering what folks thought of them too. So am interested in the responses.

poker27

Post by poker27 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:57 pm

I used AIMLOAN a few years back to refinance down to a 15year. Similar to you, I was hesitant, as my last mortgage broker was 'local'. They had the best rate, so I decided to move forward with them.

The process was fine, everything was delivered to them via an upload site, and they answered questions in a timely manner. They did not sell my mortgage, so I continue to use them for servicing, and no issues.

So all in I was happy.

Now, probably not against Aim loan, but suspicious timing. Perhaps 30 days after I refinanced, I found out my identity was stolen. I recall signing documents at a Starbucks with my SS # on it,thinking about the chances of this getting in the wrong hands. Certainly cant blame AIMLOAN, but found it odd.

otinkyad

Post by otinkyad » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:45 pm

I’ve used AimLoan and American Interbanc. Everything went smoothly. Just be prepared to supply the documents in a timely fashion. There’s less hand-holding and more time pressure than with a local broker. Well worth the good rates, IMHO.

They both wanted me to email documents years ago, and I insisted on sending them password protected PDFs. (Password protected ZIPs would work, too, but are less widely supported.) For the latest round, American Interbanc finally had a portal to upload documents to.