Why won’t anyone hire me?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
maria00200

Why won’t anyone hire me?

Post by maria00200 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:10 am

I’m 48, female, was a stay at home parent for the past 7 years, but I’m ready to go back in the workforce so I can help contribute to bills and retirement account. I don’t have a college degree but I do have some secretarial experience prior to when my son was born. I have literally applied on Indeed to close to 100 jobs in the past couple months, and been on about 20 different interviews. All the interviews seemed to go very well, but then I get rejected over and over. I’m fairly attractive, clean, dress nice. What am I doing wrong? Is it really this hard to find a job nowadays? I am applying mostly office positions but now I’m starting to wonder if I should just apply at McDonald’s. Is it my age? I can’t even believe how difficult it is to get a job, as opposed to when I was in my 20s and 30s. I really wanted to help take the burden off my husband with all the bills but I feel like giving up. :?

basspond

Re: Why won’t anyone hire me?

Post by basspond » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:38 am

Your age and not having a degree could be limiting your possibilities. Having above average skills in spreadsheets, scheduling, database, and document/writing software would be a big asset. Also look at schools. I know several ladies who volunteered a lot at public schools and eventually got a full or part time job.

FrankLUSMC

Post by FrankLUSMC » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:39 am

You haven't given your location and indeed that will make a difference in job opportunities. However one thing you may have overlooked is using a Temp agency to get your foot in the door for job opportunities. Quite often that is how businesses screen for their office workers.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:43 am

I would think that taking any job for some time would be in your best interest. Sure, McDonalds or Starbucks or Home Depot or anywhere. An employer likely thinks: You don't "need" a job, so if they hire you, you're not going to be around very long. If instead, you were working anywhere, they see recent employment and the desire to move up. That's good.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:51 am

maria00200 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:10 am
I’m 48, female, was a stay at home parent for the past 7 years, but I’m ready to go back in the workforce so I can help contribute to bills and retirement account. I don’t have a college degree but I do have some secretarial experience prior to when my son was born. I have literally applied on Indeed to close to 100 jobs in the past couple months, and been on about 20 different interviews. All the interviews seemed to go very well, but then I get rejected over and over. I’m fairly attractive, clean, dress nice. What am I doing wrong? Is it really this hard to find a job nowadays? I am applying mostly office positions but now I’m starting to wonder if I should just apply at McDonald’s. Is it my age? I can’t even believe how difficult it is to get a job, as opposed to when I was in my 20s and 30s. I really wanted to help take the burden off my husband with all the bills but I feel like giving up. :?
How are your computer skills - especially Microsoft Office? If you aren't up to speed on Outlook, Word, Excel, and Sharepoint I would remedy that situation. Also "secretaries" no longer exist. There are receptionists and administrative assistants.

You may want to go the temp route. That would give you some more recent job experience, plus give some companies the opportunity to test you out without making a long-term commitment.

Have you been networking? Let everyone know that you are looking to get back into the workforce. Friends, family, faith-based community, PTA, etc.

Another route is to volunteer at a non-profit. I know several people whose volunteer gigs have morphed into a paid position when funding became available. If nothing else, it looks good on a resume. Have you adequately described transferable skills in the momsphere (e.g., organizing a PTA activity) on your resume or during your interview?

Good Luck!

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:12 am

In addition to suggestions above - - -

Take a look at your local community college's certificate programs and see if any of them (1) look enjoyable and doable and (2) show promise of leading to actual local employment for you.

You should be able to do a quick preliminary search online at the CC's website, and then if anything looks good arrange a visit with a counselor there to discuss.

Someone above suggested taking "the McDonald's type" of job as a starter to be able to show you are serious. Perhaps being able to say on an interview that you are doing McDonald's AND also a certificate or degree program at your local community college would even be more compelling to show you are serious.

My wife was a stay-at-home mom for 10 years. When she tried to find work again it was difficult. Everyone considered that her skills were out of date and that she would need retraining which the employers considered worse than just training someone new to do things the right way.
Eventually it worked out - - but it seemed that the first job was the toughest to find and also the one with the most turnover because the managers were the worst which was why they had an opening. So hang in there - - get that first new job. Hang in there even if management and conditions are not the best and use it as a stepping stone to better things.

Good luck and best wishes!

BlueCable

Post by BlueCable » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:18 am

What type of positions are you applying for? In my market, most office jobs require degrees these days, even for secretarial positions.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:20 am

One thing to consider is if any of your references are really giving you strong recommendations or not.
maria00200 wrote:
....but I do have some secretarial experience prior to when my son was born.
My impression is that the traditional job as a secretary or administrative assistant is in decline as people do more of that work themself with computers and smartphones. If you come across as not being real savvy about the latest apps and computers that could be a problem.

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/office-and-admi ... stants.htm
maria00200 wrote:
...but now I’m starting to wonder if I should just apply at McDonald’s. Is it my age?
One alternative would be register with a temp agency. That could give you some recent experience and temp positions will sometimes turn into full time positions.

There is a lot of press about the new "gig economy" where young people go from one short term job to another and full time traditional jobs are much harder for people to find now. You could also be running into that.
Last edited by Watty on Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:25 am

Watty wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:20 am
One thing to consider is if any of your references are really giving you strong recommendations or not.
cherijoh wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:51 am
....but I do have some secretarial experience prior to when my son was born.
My impression is that the traditional job as a secretary or administrative assistant is in decline as people do more of that work themself with computers and smartphones. If you come across as not being real savvy about the latest apps and computers that could be a problem.

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/office-and-admi ... stants.htm
maria00200 wrote:
...but now I’m starting to wonder if I should just apply at McDonald’s. Is it my age?
One alternative would be register with a temp agency. That could give you some recent experience and temp positions will sometimes turn into full time positions.

There is a lot of press about the new "gig economy" where young people go from one short term job to another and full time traditional jobs are much harder for people to find now. You could also be running into that.
Watty, why are you attributing a quote from the OP to me? Could you try and correct your post?

Topic Author
maria00200

Post by maria00200 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:25 am

FrankLUSMC wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:39 am
You haven't given your location and indeed that will make a difference in job opportunities. However one thing you may have overlooked is using a Temp agency to get your foot in the door for job opportunities. Quite often that is how businesses screen for their office workers.
I'm in the Western New York area

Topic Author
maria00200

Post by maria00200 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:29 am

These are all good suggestions. I did consider a certificate but I'd be 50 when I was finished, even older. :shock: . I did sign up with 2 temp agencies but got rejected so far after going on a couple interviews (through the temp).

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:29 am

Try this, if you have a network of friends on Facebook let them know you are looking for a job in the administrative field. Perhaps if they hear or know of an opportunity they will let you know or refer you. Keep the faith, you will find something. Persistence, keep applying - you might try applying for an office manager role too, if you can run a household, you can run an office.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:30 am

maria00200 wrote:
. What am I doing wrong? Is it really this hard to find a job nowadays? I am applying mostly office positions but now I’m starting to wonder if I should just apply at McDonald’s. Is it my age? I can’t even believe how difficult it is to get a job, as opposed to when I was in my 20s and 30s. I really wanted to help take the burden off my husband with all the bills but I feel like giving up. :?
Have you considered a sales job? I got a commission sales job while in college selling wireless phones with little experience. Excellent benefits and pay. I was able to make the median HH income for my city with just my single source of income.

The downside with sales is that you will work some weekend and holidays, not your typical M-F 9/5 workload.

Topic Author
maria00200

Post by maria00200 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:32 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:29 am
Try this, if you have a network of friends on Facebook let them know you are looking for a job in the administrative field. Perhaps if they hear or know of an opportunity they will let you know or refer you. Keep the faith, you will find something. Persistence, keep applying - you might try applying for an office manager role too, if you can run a household, you can run an office.
hehe, I like that :happy

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:36 am

Perhaps get someone to look over your resume, references and the job applications you are turning in. Some agencies do "mock" interviews for practice. Maybe try the temp agency route or part-time jobs. My wife did a similar thing a few years ago and it took her several months to get into a full time temp job and then finally a full time job with benefits. It worked out well but it took a lot longer than expected. Be persistent. Tell everyone you know friends and family that you are looking. Getting the first position is the hardest.

skinsfan

Post by skinsfan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:39 am

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I actually think you're doing a lot right. It can be really hard to get a job when you've been out of the work force for years. Applying to 100 positions and 20 interviews is really impressive and will contribute to your growth. I would keep that up and continue refining your interviewing skills.

What else can you do?

Keep any open mind about opportunities: part-time, gig, temp can all bring in money and lead to bigger opportunities.

Talk to people you know about the type of work you're interested in. In my experience, you'll have much higher likelihood of securing a job by talking to people vs sites like indeed. Job search sites is a good start but talking to people will take you to the next level.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:42 am

maria00200 wrote:
Given that you get so many interviews, it seems like you are a well-qualified/strong candidate. How did you feel the interviews went? Did you get any feedback as to why they didn't move you forward in the process? Sorry I don't have any specific advice but I've found Ask a Manager to be an excellent resource.

https://www.askamanager.org/

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:43 am

The first job is tough! But it's ok, because you have something a younger new hire does not: the steadiness and common sense that comes with age.

Consider having someone in their late 20s read and review your resume, and also do a mock interview with you. They will be able to point out style differences due to the time passed while you were off the job market.

Classes are good, particularly in Microsoft Office and email/calendar software if you don't currently use them. They don't have to result in a certificate as long as you develop confidence. These tools are the core of the current office admin's daily work, and you must be competent with them to get any kind of office job.

I also recommend the temp agency route. Keep going on interviews and don't get discouraged by the initial rejections. If you haven't landed a temp contract after 5-10 interviews, ask the agency if they are getting any consistent feedback from clients about why you are not a good fit.

Something to consider, though this may be too far ahead right now:
1) If your primary goal is to contribute to retirement,
2) your spouse is already maxing out their tax-advantaged accounts, and
3)you don't need health insurance from your new job...

The best thing you can do may be to get a job as a 1099 contractor, which many temp agencies will support. This will let you open a solo 401k account, which adds a lot of room for retirement savings. You can contribute your whole income up to $19000, pre-tax, and maybe more depending on your earnings. If this looks like your goal, don't be put off by the paperwork. Feel free to reply or PM if you want to know more.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:45 am

Going back to work with such a long stretch of "not working" is tougher than people realize who have not been through it. My wife literally "wrote the book" on how case managers at her large HMOs do their jobs. When she started looking to go back to work, nobody wanted to even interview her because she didn't have at least a year of recent clinical experience. She's been working per diem to get that experience on her resume at 1/3 the hourly pay she received when she left her job in 2000.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

jason1

Post by jason1 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:46 am

Fall semester is coming up, I am going to pile on the suggestion to check out a certificate program (usually 3-4 classes and you will also be able to use the job finding resources at the school) and keep hitting the temp agency’s. Also reach out to family & friends to see if they know of any openings, people are more willing to consider someone with a personal refrence.

Another problem you may be having is your resume, how have you represented your past 7 years? ( https://www.jobscan.co/blog/how-to-writ ... om-resume/ )If you have been juggling raising kids and household responsibilities you can write to that. Emphasize relevant things like scheduling and organizational skills. Bridging that gap in your resume and updating some skills is essential.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:47 am

maria00200 wrote:
These are all good suggestions. I did consider a certificate but I'd be 50 when I was finished, even older. :shock: . I did sign up with 2 temp agencies but got rejected so far after going on a couple interviews (through the temp).
I would stay with the temp, don't give up. You can do that while working on improving your skills and interviewing elsewhere.

I do think evidence of current skills - a community college course, a library course in software packages, etc. would be helpful. You don't need to take some multi-year course.

Do consider whether you have good references. I had out of nowhere a bad reference and also had a friend have this situation. I wouldn't have known it if a potential employer hadn't said to me, What the heck and showed me the bad reference and a stellar reference from another person.

Any job at this point would be helpful, I think. It would bring some money in the door, and candidates always seem more valuable to interviewers if they are already employed. Try for a place that has some upward mobility, but anything is better than nothing.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:50 am

Watty wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:20 am
Ditto. The few admins I know are in four camps:
1. Old-style admins that nobody wants to lay off, because they like them, but honestly won’t be missed much when they retire
2. New-style admins that can help their manager put together a PowerPoint, maybe with an Excel spreadsheet that helps make the manager’s point, can carefully word the email that sends out the PowerPoint, etc. They don’t need a lot of direction, otherwise it’s easier for the manager to just do it themselves
3. Temp agency hires that cover for old-style bosses that can’t or won’t do their own admin roles (fill in for #1s)
4. Temp agency hires that do a #2 style role. They often impress their managers, who try to hire them if they have the necessary work and budget.

Good luck OP.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:52 am

Employers are concerned with:

1. Where have you worked last? (they can call to get a verification)
2. Where are you working now?
3. What kind of work have you done in the past? Can it be verified?
4. What schooling, training, certification, skills, do you have? Can they be verified?

Considerations:

1 It's not that "nobody wants to hire you. (don't take it personal) It's that there are 5-100 applicants to the same job opening that can answer #1-5 above.

So, what to do?

1 Widen your job search to "get yourself in the door" so to speak. You need to enter the workforce step by step. Even if part time work.
2. Realize that you can be working part time or full time at a job and continue to look for employment in a job you might like better. (no time to be choosy)
3. Realize that you need to get a part time job, or full time, any job. . . . . so you will be more marketable as a "currently employed" when seeking other jobs. (part time is a good idea).
4. Consider working part time and then perhaps getting into a free or other training or continuing education program to boost your skillset.
5. Keep trying. Keep applying. Don't give up. Stay actively searching, even when employed. Things have a way of popping up.
6. Make your own opportunities. Job searching and applications via online and doing nothing more yields limited results. It's too easy and everyone's doing it. You never have to leave the house. So. . . visit companies you'd like to work for in your area. Ask ask ask. Put in an application. If they say, not hiring right now. Ask when they might be. Leave your resume anyway.
7. You do have a well written digital and print resume to hand out, don't you? Have someone help you with it. Make it perfect. Honest. Sincere. Professional.
8. Let everyone you know and meet know that you are looking for work. This includes your church pastor, friends, and so forth. Use your network.
9. Make looking for work a more than full time job.

FWIW: There was a brief time when I was looking for work, any work. I put in a total of 6-800+ applications nationwide over a period of 1 year or more. I was called into 3 job interviews. "One" company wanted to hire me. I was older. Resume like a phone book. Vastly overqualified. And, did not "fit in" anywhere.

Don't give up.
Good luck.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

fposte

Post by fposte » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:54 am

jason1 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:46 am
Another problem you may be having is your resume, how have you represented your past 7 years? ( https://www.jobscan.co/blog/how-to-writ ... om-resume/ )If you have been juggling raising kids and household responsibilities you can write to that. Emphasize relevant things like scheduling and organizational skills. Bridging that gap in your resume and updating some skills is essential.
That article looks like the jobs version of financial porn. It suggests that on your resume you should "Treat your experience as a stay at home mom as a position you held"--which in actuality will immediately mark you as naïve and out of touch.

I agree that the OP should stay with the temp. Right now she's a person with no job history competing for jobs with people who have a job history--it's not that she's deeply flawed, it's that she's getting beaten out by people with a stronger record. Certification programs are highly variable in their value, and I wouldn't take one without checking around to see if employers care about it. But she should also tell everybody she knows that she's looking for a job, because networking is another way to bring history to bear when it's not on your resume.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:58 am

maria00200 wrote:
Hey - feel free to PM me if you like. I'm also 40yo, female. I am executive level but I can possibly give you pointers to help you stand out.

Consider applying your administrative skills in a new field. Something like logistics clerk, manufacturing materials management or accounts payable. Work in a more field-based job rather than a traditional executive assistant role. Unemployment is low, it's likely you aren't connecting with the right people.

Also, to prep for the interview, I typically suggest people at all levels take the job description and line by line write down experience or training they have that answers every role/responsibility of the description. That way you have in your head a way to answer just about any question that will come up. I even had a woman who worked for me put this in an easy to digest table format and present it during the interview (in a professional way) to the interviewer as a way to show her organization skills and highlight her experiences. She landed the promotion.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:59 am

I'd also point out that job applications are quality over quantity. Filling out a form (online or on paper) and sending it out rarely results in an offer unless there is some sort of follow up or personal connection. Mine your network. Not just friends- friends of friends of friends for anyone who might need some extra help.

clemrick

Post by clemrick » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:01 am

SRenaeP wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:42 am

Given that you get so many interviews, it seems like you are a well-qualified/strong candidate. How did you feel the interviews went? Did you get any feedback as to why they didn't move you forward in the process? Sorry I don't have any specific advice but I've found Ask a Manager to be an excellent resource.

https://www.askamanager.org/
I second Ask a Manager. She has a guide for cover letters and one for interviews. One is free the other is worth what she is charging.

The temp business isn't what it used to be. Companies are making do with being shorthanded and not hiring temps like they used to. The temp agencies are more employment recruiters now. Call around and ask temp agencies if they agree getting requests for very short-term jobs of less than a week or two. Receptionist is usually a job companies need coverage for. Maybe you can start there.

Good luck.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:03 am

maria00200 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:25 am
FrankLUSMC wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:39 am
I'm in the Western New York area
- Jobs in places like Costco and Price Club pay well with decent benefit's and can lead to promotions.
- Temp agencies can often help in securing a first job after a leave and get access to specific jobs
- Working as a personal assistant to a 2 income family is a job that has become more popular
- Working at higher end wine bars/tasting rooms is big in our area of NY
- Your local town municipality likely has a number of jobs that pay fairly and have good benefits
- If you have an area of expertise tutoring can be a possiblity

Ron

Post by Ron » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:03 am

maria00200 wrote:
I did consider a certificate but I'd be 50 when I was finished, even older. :shock: .
You'll be 50, no matter what. Would it not be better with a certificate at that age?

I started my undergrad degree at age 41. It's never too late to learn (Currently age 71 and still learning 8-) )

- Ron

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:04 am

I personally don't recommend temp agencies. They are many times just as picky as direct hire employers and pay horribly, have substandard benefits, and no job security. They generally only want to work with people who have no reason to need to work with them. They also tend to be very sleazy dragging you into their office when they have nothing for you just to pump you for names of managers for their sales department, names of companies you've seen hiring etc.

My profession, Chemistry, has become infested with temp agencies and I have not had good experiences with either them nor their clients.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:09 am

sschoe2 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:04 am
I personally don't recommend temp agencies. They are many times just as picky as direct hire employers and pay horribly, have substandard benefits, and no job security. They generally only want to work with people who have no reason to need to work with them. They also tend to be very sleazy dragging you into their office when they have nothing for you just to pump you for names of managers for their sales department, names of companies you've seen hiring etc.

My profession, Chemistry, has become infested with temp agencies and I have not had good experiences with either them nor their clients.
Is it possible that your career and area of the country has affected this view and it would be quite different for someone else?

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:31 am

smitcat wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:09 am
Is it possible that your career and area of the country has affected this view and it would be quite different for someone else?
Most people I've talked to have similar stories. Temp agencies are the employer of last resort. The big thing now is they try to sell their crappy jobs as temp-to-hire they list a lot of their positions as such. The WE Upjohn Institute for Employment Research did a study and found only 27% of such jobs actually turn into permanent/direct employment.

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:37 am

I would recommend asking your working friends/associates if they have positions at their companies and use a referral to help get you an opportunity.

I would say in general you are going to need to sell yourself past the lack of business world experience and age. Be assertive and talk about what you bring to the table, past skills and abilities.

Might need to look for something part time and work your way into a full time gig.

best of luck
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

oilrig

Post by oilrig » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:44 am

sschoe2 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:31 am
smitcat wrote:
Most people I've talked to have similar stories. Temp agencies are the employer of last resort. The big thing now is they try to sell their crappy jobs as temp-to-hire they list a lot of their positions as such. The WE Upjohn Institute for Employment Research did a study and found only 27% of such jobs actually turn into permanent/direct employment.
I used to work for a 'temp agency' and Im sorry but you are wrong. Most of the candidates we placed in temp roles ended up going full-time if they were good and the employer liked them. My sister had been out of work for a year and used a temp agency to get her foot in the door at a large employer and ended up going full-time with them after a short time. Someone like the OP who has been out of work for 7 years, her best bet is going the temp agency route IMO.

mhc

Post by mhc » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:45 am

If I were you, I would be asking at the interviews if there was any skills or such that I could add to be a stronger candidate. The people not hiring you know why they aren't hiring you. Maybe one of them will share if you ask.

jminv

Post by jminv » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:46 am

Sorry that this is happening to you, I know it's hard to be in this kind of situation. The problem is probably that you haven't had a job in 7 years. It's easiest to find a job while currently employed or with more recent work experience. What you need to do is find a job that will take you which is a lot easier said than done. You might have to use a temp agency, work at home depot/lowes, etc but in any case, if you apply to places like that you will at least get more experience interviewing and will also see if it is the job type your are applying for that is the problem. Another option would be to ask around your network to try to find a job. Family, friends, church, community organizations, etc. In my experience, it's easiest to find a job in your network. Once you have a job and a more recent work history, you could then apply elsewhere.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:51 am

I really think you need to focus on your interview skills. Perhaps find a local group where you can practice interviewing. To be turned down 20 times following interviews tells me the issue is on that end.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:52 am

sschoe2 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:04 am
When I worked at several MegaCorps, for some kinds of positions - they would often hire regular, "permanent" employees from a temp agency. The person would start as a temp, then, if he/she seemed to work out - then he/she would be offered a position as an employee.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:52 am

OP - it's been asked a couple of times, but could you comment on your computer skills? Excel, Powerpoint, Word, web research?

Any admin or temp position I've hired in the last many years - if you didn't have some of those skills at a moderate or advanced level, you wouldn't be considered.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:54 am

sschoe2 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:31 am
smitcat wrote:
I am in NY in and have had various job experiences with people I know and temp agencies - they can be a good stopping off point for some folks on the move to a new career after a long leave.

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:55 am

runner3081 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:51 am
I really think you need to focus on your interview skills. Perhaps find a local group where you can practice interviewing. To be turned down 20 times following interviews tells me the issue is on that end.
+1

My experience (which is obviously a sample size of 1) is that *getting* the interview is the hardest part. To have 20 job interviews and not get an offer definitely suggests that there may be some issue occurring at the interview stage. Getting an interview on 20% of your job applications must mean something is going right in the application stage... but then failing at the interview stage

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:05 am

oilrig wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:44 am
I used to work for a 'temp agency' and Im sorry but you are wrong. Most of the candidates we placed in temp roles ended up going full-time if they were good and the employer liked them. My sister had been out of work for a year and used a temp agency to get her foot in the door at a large employer and ended up going full-time with them after a short time. Someone like the OP who has been out of work for 7 years, her best bet is going the temp agency route IMO.
The WE Upjohn Institute studied it and that is what they found. A whopping 27% go perm. I worked for a F50 for 3 years as a "temp/contractor." A lot of the large companies in my area [Chicago area] Pepsi, Abbvie/Abbott Labs, Baxter, Pfizer are all notorious churn and burn permatemp companies. They hire a bunch of temps keep them as temps as long as they are able to avoid paying benefits and play accounting games and when they quit or they toss them to the curb they just move on to the next sucker. Also the agencies are just as picky as direct employers. I went to an interview with the client for a contract job that took all day and involved 6 interviews. I suppose the OP may have nothing to lose but she needs to keep her expectation low and her guard high when dealing with these sleazeballs. I personally won't give them the time of day. My inbox is constantly flooded with their crap jobs fortunately I changed my cell # so I no longer have to listen to them.
Last edited by sschoe2 on Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

VegasBH

Post by VegasBH » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:10 am

If you have been on 20 different interviews the resume isn’t the problem because you are getting to the interview. Something in the way you present and answer questions would be my guess. How much research are you doing about the companies and jobs before you interview? You have a hill to climb being out of the traditional workforce but it should not be insurmountable. I would address your being a stay at home mom head on when asked the about yourself question or the why do you want this job question. “ I enjoy organizing information and being part of a team I have high level skills in Word and Excel. I have been a full time parent for X years and now That my kids are older I am ready to commit to my career full time and would like to find a great organization that I could grow with for the next 5-10 years. (if this is true) If not I am excited about a long term part time role I am flexible and would like to grow with the an organization. I disagree that you should invest in a degree or in depth certification program at this point. If you need to broaden some skills look for web based trainings. If you do need sone training look For something short term 90 days or less through the educational out reach or non-credit portion of your local community college or university. Tech skills are essential I am actually looking at putting in a very rigorous skills test for all of our new hires because I have two staff right now who have multiple college degrees but are struggling to work with the Google apps suite.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:21 am

I'll add that in terms of jobs, I occasionally see jobs posted on store doors, like my local Walgreens is hiring for two store positions. Also I see people asking on our town's facebook page for job leads and they get several responses naming places that people know are hiring. Those are jobs like HomeDepot, restaurants, etc.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:22 am

maria00200 wrote:
This can certainly be discouraging.

I see that you are in Western NY State. I grew up there - and the jobs/economic situation there is not the best over the last few decades. From my family, etc. still in that area, the unemployment rate there is not good for those seeking many kinds of jobs.

From my observations over the years/decades, "secretarial" positions are "out of favor" - employers want folks with basic computer skills -basic WORD, EXCEL, POWERPOINT, etc. Try to get up to speed on computer skills and put that in the applications - and try to bring it up during the interviews.

One possibility - when the interview, etc. goes well - but get rejected - is that the employer ran some kind of credit check or other background check and found something of concern. If it was a credit report - they are supposed to tell you - but, if some other kind of check (such as lawsuits, etc.), they don't have to. This happened to me - and there was incorrect information when several employers ran an automated check. They did not tell me (they don't have to), but I was able to piece it together later. Is there anything (correct or incorrect) that an employer might fund about you that would lead to being rejected? While it is not "legal" for employers to do this, might there be some reason that employers might conclude that, as a woman, you may not take the job seriously and not be there for the longer term? Or, as a parent, you might not be as reliable because the job would not be a priority? Try to do some "research" about your being rejected. Sleuth around on the internet about the employer, the advertised position, etc. What do the rejection letters say? This can be like solving a "puzzle" and if there is a common reason - then try to piece it together.

My guess is that your absence from the workforce is really working against you.

Over the decades, I have been in the IT field (programmer,sales support, etc.) and more recently in aspects of banking. Depending on the bank or credit union, starting as a credit union or bank teller can get your foot in the door and can lead (either there or another place) to better, and more well compensated, positions. I suspect that a medium sized credit union would be the best - where the headquarters is located there and has a lot of back office staff. One of my coworkers (I work part time) at a financial institution move here to be with his significant other, who was transferred here. He started here as a teller to get his foot in the door - and he needed a job and this was in walking distance from his apartment. After about a year or so of being a teller, he was able to get a much better and more responsible position in "risk management" (fraud monitoring, regulatory compliance, internal and external controls, lending issues, and so on). Starting as a teller (or customer service rep) can sometimes be a "dead end" or sometimes be a path to an excellent career. It all depends on the bank or credit union.

Can your husband offer any feedback? Does he have any connections, etc. to help?

Networking can help as well. Make it known among friends, acquaintances, at your place of worship, the PTA, etc. that you are seeking employment. I would not, though, freely express your frustration and lack of success.

While your lack of a degree may be a factor, nonetheless there are many types of positions and careers that can be fine for someone like you.

The suggestions of volunteering may be good to get a foot in the door. At our longtime place of worship, over recent years, many volunteers ended up being hired as either part time or full time employees.

Don't "give up"! Neither do I think McDonalds is the best path for you to take.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:34 am

VegasBH wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:10 am
If you have been on 20 different interviews the resume isn’t the problem because you are getting to the interview. Something in the way you present and answer questions would be my guess. How much research are you doing about the companies and jobs before you interview? You have a hill to climb being out of the traditional workforce but it should not be insurmountable. I would address your being a stay at home mom head on when asked the about yourself question or the why do you want this job question. “ I enjoy organizing information and being part of a team I have high level skills in Word and Excel. I have been a full time parent for X years and now That my kids are older I am ready to commit to my career full time and would like to find a great organization that I could grow with for the next 5-10 years. (if this is true) If not I am excited about a long term part time role I am flexible and would like to grow with the an organization. I disagree that you should invest in a degree or in depth certification program at this point. If you need to broaden some skills look for web based trainings. If you do need sone training look For something short term 90 days or less through the educational out reach or non-credit portion of your local community college or university. Tech skills are essential I am actually looking at putting in a very rigorous skills test for all of our new hires because I have two staff right now who have multiple college degrees but are struggling to work with the Google apps suite.
In the interviews or any kinds of followup phone interactions, try to come up with real examples of your being successful in dealing with potential job related matters. If the position deals with customers or the public, have examples of how you can and have dealt with these. For several jobs I applied for over the years, the employers had an independent company do a telephone interview to make an assessment and recommendation. These companies did not query specific job attributes, but focused on more general things. They would first ask a general question -and if you responded positively about your qualifications and experience - they would then ask for a specific example.

Also, make sure to express that you will be a reliable employee - working the hours and schedule they need. Is there any reason employers might conclude otherwise?

Keep us informed about how things are going. Frankly, I am very puzzled as well about your experience.
Last edited by dm200 on Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:35 am

maria00200 wrote:
maria00200,

1) Do not be surprised. Do not be discouraged. The job market is not as good as it was claimed. It took my nephew and niece (fresh grad) up to a year to find a job. It is not unusual for someone to apply for more than 200 jobs to find one.

2) Try applying for jobs in the school system and the local government. The level of competition is less.

KlangFool

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:49 am

If you haven't already done so, apply to all of the government agencies in your area. That would be city, county, state, federal, also school districts. Something may pop up with one of those in time.
Best Wishes, | Joe

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:01 am

maria00200 wrote:
Have tried visiting the local Edward Jones offices and asking for a receptionist job?

You can get their business card and keep calling them until they cave. :mrgreen:

I'm being semi-facetious. You wouldn't want to work for EJ.

But if you're personable and hanging out in this board, you probably could be an office admin at a financial advisors office. You either have the knowledge, or the passion to help them out.

deikel

Post by deikel » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:06 am

a) western New York is not exactly the hot bed of booming economy
b) If you got 20 interviews on 100 applications, you clearly look impressive on paper - so its not your CV or paperwork you are sending in
c) if 0/20 is the result of the interviews, then I would suspect there is an issue in presentation during said interviews. There is nothing wrong with calling the hiring manager up after the process is over and ask what the impression was - honestly state that you would like to improve you interview performance and would appreciate honest feedback - you will probably get a slightly packaged answer, but its worth listening. If you only get 5/20 answers, that should give you some clue
d) if you fail interviews organized by the temp agency, ditto - ask the temp agency for feedback.
e) Try using a placement agency instead, they come out and coach you a little when they take you in and might find you a fitting job
f) Ask your wider circle to do mock interviews with you and see what their response is (don't do this with friends,, you need honest feedback).

In the meantime, volunteer, get computer skills (microsoft certificates) with courses - even online; think about going sales or hospitality and since you are western NY, think seasonal jobs in tourism if you like people work

After 10 years of SAHM, it will take a while - good luck.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.