Limited Purpose FSA - Ophthalmologist fees?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
GreenGrowTheDollars

Limited Purpose FSA - Ophthalmologist fees?

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:00 pm

We have an HSA-compatible insurance plan.
We also have a Limited Purpose FSA - aka a "HSA-Compatible Flexible Spending Account" in addition to our HSA. The limited purpose account can be used for dental and vision expenses beginning January 1.

I have dry eyes, and visit the ophthalmologist 3-4 times a year for ongoing evaluation and treatment. Can I plan to use my Limited Purpose FSA to cover those office visit costs even though they also count toward my health insurance deductible? (I am not trying to also reimburse these expenses from my HSA. I will chuck extra $$ at the FSA if it can be used for this.)

The limited purpose FSA is administered through Payflex. I could not find an answer on their website, and the phone center was not of help. It was clear that refractions and general eye exams could be covered (though those are not a benefit of our health insurance), but not clear whether tests like tear osmolarity, procedures like punctal plugs, or eye injections, or medically-related office visits could be reimbursed by the limited purpose FSA, or whether prescription eye drops can be covered? :confused

Determined

Re: Limited Purpose FSA - Ophthalmologist fees?

Post by Determined » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:46 pm

Sorry you are not getting any answers. I have only used a Limited FSA for orthodontia. That was straight forward.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:50 pm

You can use FSA to pay copays and deductibles in general, but this seems to sy no with a limited FSA:

https://fsastore.com/FSA-Eligibility-Li ... -E201.aspx

jcgvt01

Post by jcgvt01 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:48 pm

I use my limited purpose FSA for dental and vision co-pays/out of pocket expenses also using payflex. So the short answer to your question is yes.

Though I've never had prescription vision or dental expenses...prescriptions may not be eligible as those are probably considered a medical expense. The definitely can use the limited FSA for out of pockets deductibles and copays for vision and dental.