Capital One Card > Credit Freeze

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
KBREAMK

Capital One Card > Credit Freeze

Post by KBREAMK » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:38 pm

I have been meaning to freeze my credit for some time and the news that Capital One was hacked has moved me to action since I have a Capital One credit card. Question. I just froze my credit with Equifax. Is this sufficient or should I also freeze my credit with Experian and TransUnion? And are there other places besides these 3?

funktor

Re: Capital One Card > Credit Freeze

Post by funktor » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:51 pm

You should freeze at a minimum: Equifax, Experian, TransUnion. I also did Innovis and ChexSystems
It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time. The losses are what define a man's faith

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:23 pm

funktor wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:51 pm
You should freeze at a minimum: Equifax, Experian, TransUnion.
+1. Freeze all three.

I also have frozen ChexSystems; however, that did not prevent me from establishing a new banking relationship withy Marcus bank last week. So not sure how much ChexSystems helps, but I would probably still freeze it anyway as Marcus may be an outlier (other banks may pull a report from ChexSystems before allowing an account to be open).
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:44 pm

funktor wrote:
You should freeze at a minimum: Equifax, Experian, TransUnion. I also did Innovis and ChexSystems
I did all 5, above, also.

Note: If you you do not have & want to signup for a credit monitoring service of any kind, you normally need to NOT have your credit frozen when you sign up, they use the credit bureau's to verify your signup information.
"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

Topic Author
KBREAMK

Post by KBREAMK » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:00 pm

orlandoman wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:44 pm
funktor wrote:

Note: If you you do not have & want to signup for a credit monitoring service of any kind, you normally need to NOT have your credit frozen when you sign up, they use the credit bureau's to verify your signup information.
Dumb question. Is Credit Karma considered a credit monitoring service? I signed up for it a few months ago.

Topic Author
KBREAMK

Post by KBREAMK » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:15 pm

funktor wrote:
Thanks! I am frozen at all 5 now. :sharebeer

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:38 pm

KBREAMK wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:00 pm
orlandoman wrote:
funktor wrote:

Dumb question. Is Credit Karma considered a credit monitoring service? I signed up for it a few months ago.
Yes & probably one of the best free services. I'm a user. You'll notice #1 Monitoring, is listed mid-page https://www.creditkarma.com/
"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

Topic Author
KBREAMK

Post by KBREAMK » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:51 pm

orlandoman wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:38 pm
KBREAMK wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:00 pm
orlandoman wrote:
funktor wrote:

Yes & probably one of the best free services. I'm a user. You'll notice #1 Monitoring, is listed mid-page https://www.creditkarma.com/
Thanks! I did see that but wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something since it’s a free service. I guess they make big bucks as an affiliate and referral source!