How often do you return items purchased online?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
louiethelilac
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:47 pm

How often do you return items purchased online?

Post by louiethelilac » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:51 pm

We spend about $1,500 per year on online shopping (mostly on Amazon). We're happy with about 80% of our purchases. For the other 20%, I find myself getting too lazy to return anything below $20. Sometimes I rationalize it by thinking I still might get some use of it (as a spare "something"), even though it will probably end up as clutter. Clearly retailers bank on the fact that many buyers won't return small ticket items. Wondering if others have an explicit threshold ($$ amount) whereby they won't bother to print out the return label, tape up the package, and drop it into the UPS box, or whether most are disciplined enough to return anything they are not 100% satisfied with.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 8469
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: How often do you return items purchased online?

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:55 pm

louiethelilac wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:51 pm
We spend about $1,500 per year on online shopping (mostly on Amazon). We're happy with about 80% of our purchases. For the other 20%, I find myself getting too lazy to return anything below $20. Sometimes I rationalize it by thinking I still might get some use of it (as a spare "something"), even though it will probably end up as clutter. Clearly retailers bank on the fact that many buyers won't return small ticket items. Wondering if others have an explicit threshold ($$ amount) whereby they won't bother to print out the return label, tape up the package, and drop it into the UPS box, or whether most are disciplined enough to return anything they are not 100% satisfied with.
There are no good retailers in our area so DW and I buy a "lot" and return a "lot".
There is no threshold for returns. Why waste money on something that's marginal no matter the cost.
And, clothes and shoes that don't fit. Absolutely return.
j
*suggestion to all, use the Amazon.Smile to donate to support the forum.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

mak1277
Posts: 1176
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: How often do you return items purchased online?

Post by mak1277 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:55 pm

For apparel, very often...probably over 50% of the time unless I'm buying something I already have and just want more of. I will buy 5 or 6 versions of something and keep one.

OnTrack2020
Posts: 442
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:24 am

Re: How often do you return items purchased online?

Post by OnTrack2020 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:58 pm

Extremely rarely....just not worth the time or effort, unless it's a larger item that also costs more money, then I will take the time.

The last item I returned was furnace filters. They came in a large box, and between the time I purchased them and the time I returned them, we ended up having a new unit installed (not planned), so they were taking up space in our home, plus they also cost a fair amount of money.

daheld
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 am
Location: Midwest US

Re: How often do you return items purchased online?

Post by daheld » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:59 pm

We always buy things online that are free to return, and my wife buys stuff that we wind up returning quite frequently.

She will often purchase extra items to qualify for free shipping, then return the extra items to a brick and mortar store.

HomeStretch
Posts: 2900
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: How often do you return items purchased online?

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:05 pm

I return any item purchased that I don’t like or do not use (like home project leftovers). I did a major declutter awhile back and don’t like anything “extra” around the house unless it’s a product we use often that I purchased on sale in bulk.

02nz
Posts: 2505
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: How often do you return items purchased online?

Post by 02nz » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:08 pm

I probably return more than average. Maybe 15-20%. Twice over the last decade I've gotten an email from Amazon, nicely worded but basically, you're returning too much stuff. Brick and mortar retailers will also cut you off if you return too much, but I haven't come across this yet.

With Amazon now it's generally possible to have the delivery stopped midway if you change your mind, and if you actually need to send something back there's dropoff at Kohl's, no packing needed, so it's pretty easy.
Last edited by 02nz on Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barnaclebob
Posts: 3964
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: How often do you return items purchased online?

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:09 pm

When my wife orders clothes, maybe 50% of it will go back but that is expected and even encouraged by the sellers in that department.

On other items its probably under 5%. I'll return an item of any $ value if the return shipping is free.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abyan
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:51 pm

Re: How often do you return items purchased online?

Post by abyan » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:10 pm

I return nearly 100% of what I buy on Amazon if I'm not happy with the purchase. It's easy to return stuff, they already gave you the box! And I just drop the box at the local UPS, which is also easy.

littlebird
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:05 pm
Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ

Re: How often do you return items purchased online?

Post by littlebird » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:12 pm

Very rarely. I’m usually satisfied with my Amazon purchases.I have learned, however, not to buy clothes from Amazon. Nor canned goods, which invariably arrived pre-dented. I’d say I return about 5%.

Dottie57
Posts: 7132
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: How often do you return items purchased online?

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:20 pm

I return clothes all of the time. Other items less so.

fposte
Posts: 1725
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Re: How often do you return items purchased online?

Post by fposte » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:24 pm

Clothes and shoes probably 75-80%, bought with that intention. As has been said, that's pretty normal for online clothes shopping.

Amazon and other non-clothes stuff, more since a physical location moved in down the block from my office; before then I generally wouldn't bother if it was just a taste call and the item was low-cost.

runner3081
Posts: 2571
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: How often do you return items purchased online?

Post by runner3081 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:25 pm

Very rarely on things I purchase myself.

If they are gifts, nearly all of them :)

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 10454
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am
Location: 26 miles, 385 yards west of Copley Square

Re: How often do you return items purchased online?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:41 pm

Never.

If something is wrong, and because most Amazon stuff ships from China, and Chinese businesses pay nearly nothing for shipping here, but would have to pay a lot to ship back, anytime something isn't right, they send me a replacement and tell me to keep whatever wasn't right.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Garfieldthecat
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:48 am

Re: How often do you return items purchased online?

Post by Garfieldthecat » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:13 am

Me: Very rarely

Wife: A lot! :D

Miguelito
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:21 pm

Re: How often do you return items purchased online?

Post by Miguelito » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:22 am

Hardly ever.

remomnyc
Posts: 749
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:27 pm

Re: How often do you return items purchased online?

Post by remomnyc » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:38 am

Non clothing and shoes, almost never. I found that I was returning 80% of clothing and shoes, so I stopped buying them on-line unless it was a replacement for something I already had.

adamthesmythe
Posts: 3027
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: How often do you return items purchased online?

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:52 am

I did it once, a non-functional item.

But then I don't buy stuff like clothing and shoes.

123
Posts: 5200
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: How often do you return items purchased online?

Post by 123 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:09 am

We return maybe 5% of what we buy online from Amazon. Could easily go a year without any return and then 2 or 3 for various reasons.

We had an interesting experience with a recent Amazon return. It was an under $5 item. We coded the return as "arrived too late", even though it arrived the day after we ordered it as expected (yeah I know we were pushing it). Amazon said they were processing the return credit but said we did not have to ship back the item.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

User avatar
Bogle7
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 9:33 am

Not often

Post by Bogle7 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:57 am

We spent $3500 with Jeff Bezos in 2018.
Returned 1-2 items.
For some reason, he did not ask us to return the ceramic platter that arrived in 50 pieces.

User avatar
FIREchief
Posts: 3647
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: How often do you return items purchased online?

Post by FIREchief » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:11 pm

If I'm not happy with it, I return it. Doesn't matter if it's a $1 item (assuming free return shipping) or a $1000 item.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

Post Reply