Equifax settlement: how to file claim?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
lakpr

Re: Equifax settlement: how to file claim?

Post by lakpr »

DaftInvestor wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:20 pm I don't have it because I never signed up for it. I believe they had a free offer but it had questionable terms and conditions as I recall. I simply froze all my credit so saw no benefit to monitoring.
As one of the above posts said, if you have credit monitoring through your credit card, in good conscience you can take the cash offer. Discover, Bank of America, Chase, all offer it. Chase's is called "Credit Journey", Discover's is called "SSN Identity Alerts", etc. These days, if you own a credit card, you practically have credit monitoring for free. Alternatively, you can sign up for a free account on CreditKarma.
bluquark

Post by bluquark »

ThankYouJack wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:36 pm Aren't people going to get far less than $125? 147 million people impacted, only $31 million earmarked for claims. So if 1/5 people file a cash claim, that would be a whopping $1 back. I don't think I'll bother myself.

Am I missing something?
Not really. It's a bet that the application rate will be low enough, e.g. because people didn't hear about it or were dissuaded by the requirement to have credit monitoring. It's guesswork whether 1/1000 people or 1/4 people will end up filing. I expect a haircut but I have no idea just what size.

It's one of those meta games in that if almost everybody reasons like you, the few who are left would get the full amount :).
70/30 portfolio | Equity: global market weight | Bonds: 20% long-term munis - 10% LEMB
chevca

Post by chevca »

Well, I won't be bothering. So, there's an extra $0.01 for each of you. You're welcome. :happy
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

ThankYouJack wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:36 pm Aren't people going to get far less than $125? 147 million people impacted, only $31 million earmarked for claims. So if 1/5 people file a cash claim, that would be a whopping $1 back. I don't think I'll bother myself.

Am I missing something?
Maybe. You never know. Most people probably won't bother. There is little to lose except a few minutes of time.
gch

Post by gch »

Am I missing something?
I was a part of the EA sports NCAA football settlement. There were! 200k eligible people and only ~20k filed. That was very publicized (especially in the college football world), each possible claimant had multiple letters sent to their home and their parent's home, and the judge actually delayed the settlement to get more people to sign up, as well as force the attorney's to get paid social media adds targeting the claimants ages, demographics, etc. All of that and they got roughly 10% of claimants to file (~6k per person so not a small sum either).

I'd think that $125 is based on how many people they expect to file based on past history.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

lakpr wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:06 pm
DaftInvestor wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:20 pm I don't have it because I never signed up for it. I believe they had a free offer but it had questionable terms and conditions as I recall. I simply froze all my credit so saw no benefit to monitoring.
As one of the above posts said, if you have credit monitoring through your credit card, in good conscience you can take the cash offer. Discover, Bank of America, Chase, all offer it. Chase's is called "Credit Journey", Discover's is called "SSN Identity Alerts", etc. These days, if you own a credit card, you practically have credit monitoring for free. Alternatively, you can sign up for a free account on CreditKarma.
Thanks (and thanks to prior poster who pointed this out).
Signed up for Chase's program.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

Am I missing something?
It's clear in stating $125..not a total pay out figure divided by number of people filing
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

LocKey garbage prefixes

Post by nisiprius »

Did anybody else run into this? I read a CNBC article, You could make $125 by filling out this Equifax data breach claim form, and clicked on the "Equifax claim verification link." (Dumb).

The URL appeared to be https://eligibility.equifaxbreachsettlement.com/en/eligibility
which looked and still looks OK, but I didn't think to get there using equifax.com, instead of CNBC, as my starting point. (Dumb).

I entered my name and six digits of SSN, thinking as I had thinked before that it was really bad to provide six digits.

I noticed something odd about the screen but had already clicked submit.

Here's what was odd about it: every field was captioned with something that looked like a computer program variable name instead of a normal caption.

Since then I have noticed that both the eligibility and the claim filing screens intermittently display those LocKey prefixes, e.g.

The problem seems to occur no matter how I get to the settlement website,

So, what do you think? Has anyone else seen this? Did I send six digits of my SSN to a man-in-the-middle yesterday?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'd say the source code which associates those variables to the actual text description was missing. That is concerning, as I hope the database containing the impacted info wasn't hacked.

Let's hope it was someone doing maintenance and mucked up the file, then fixed it. The site looks OK now.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I did not encounter the unusual display problem that nisi did.

Oh well, my personal info at Equifax was already hacked and there is not a thing I can do now except for all the credit freeze steps I took a few years ago.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Lets hope whoever is running equifaxbreachsettlement.com (JND Legal Administration) has more IT security then Equifax. Their domain is a private registration through godaddy, really inspires confidence there folks...

Now for all those who file a claim they have a new database with your Full Name, SSN, email address, phone number and home address!
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

SimonJester wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:09 am Lets hope whoever is running equifaxbreachsettlement.com (JND Legal Administration) has more IT security then Equifax. Their domain is a private registration through godaddy, really inspires confidence there folks...

Now for all those who file a claim they have a new database with your Full Name, SSN, email address, phone number and home address!
For what it is worth, when I go to "ftc.gov" site for filing the Equifax breach claim, it redirects to this equifaxbreachsettlement.com site.
Looks legit.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2019/ ... hould-know
bluquark

Re: LocKey garbage prefixes

Post by bluquark »

nisiprius wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:59 am So, what do you think? Has anyone else seen this? Did I send six digits of my SSN to a man-in-the-middle yesterday?
No, the site is hosted on HTTPS and this protocol is mathematically proven immune from man-in-the-middle. Snowden said that the NSA's only means of intercepting it is to hack one of the endpoints of the communication, not the channel itself. You should worry only if you were tricked into inputting your data into a different domain name (e.g. equifaxbreachsettlementt.com)
70/30 portfolio | Equity: global market weight | Bonds: 20% long-term munis - 10% LEMB
bluquark

Post by bluquark »

theplayer11 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:08 am It's clear in stating $125..not a total pay out figure divided by number of people filing
The fine print is clear that the number "125" literally has no bearing on the payout whatsoever, and "a total pay out figure divided by number of people filing" is precisely what it is. If few enough people apply, it even says that they will scale *up* the payout above 125$.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

DW and I filed for the $125 option today. The process took 3-5 minutes at the most.

We were not harmed, our credit has been frozen at the Transunion, Equifax, and Experion sites. We do need to freeze at the other two places listed above.

That is my job for tomorrow. As a retiree, I like to have something to do each day. :D

No idea what we will get, but nothing ventured, nothing gained

I also freeze a few of my credit cards, and I have alerts set for virtually every purchase.

We also have Credit Karma monitoring. We are locked down pretty well, I believe.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Godot

Post by Godot »

DaftInvestor wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:30 am
student wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:24 am
DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:01 pm
anon_investor wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:58 pm $125 or free credit monitoring? What are people going to pick?
I personally would pick the former - but I just couldn't click the button for it because there is a statement saying you are certifying you already have monitoring (I blame my Christian upbringing).

Since the settlement isn't final yet - I wonder if the legal team involved can get this fixed (usually they are too busy negotiating their own large payment - I remember a class action I was involved in which resulting in me getting a $10 coupon for the problematic problem that was involved in the lawsuit - I didn't want the product. The legal team, of course, walked away with millions - while us "customers" that were impacted got $10 coupons).
You can sign up for a number of free credit monitoring service.

https://creditwise.capitalone.com/home You do not have to be a customer. It says "Monitor your credit. For free. For everyone." So it qualifies from my standpoint.

Transunion itself also offers free service. https://www.transunion.com/product/true ... protection "Get alerts to critical credit information changes" So to me it qualifies.
Thanks student!
So you would sign up for credit monitoring services with Capital One, which just today reported a data breach of 100 million people?!
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot
Godot

Post by Godot »

Godot wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:34 pm
anon_investor wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:58 pm $125 or free credit monitoring? What are people going to pick?
I personally would pick the former - but I just couldn't click the button for it because there is a statement saying you are certifying you already have monitoring (I blame my Christian upbringing).

Since the settlement isn't final yet - I wonder if the legal team involved can get this fixed (usually they are too busy negotiating their own large payment - I remember a class action I was involved in which resulting in me getting a $10 coupon for the problematic problem that was involved in the lawsuit - I didn't want the product. The legal team, of course, walked away with millions - while us "customers" that were impacted got $10 coupons).

https://creditwise.capitalone.com/home You do not have to be a customer. It says "Monitor your credit. For free. For everyone." So it qualifies from my standpoint.

Transunion itself also offers free service. https://www.transunion.com/product/true ... protection "Get alerts to critical credit information changes" So to me it qualifies.
Thanks student!
Warning: Capital One just today reported a data breach of 100 million people!
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Godot wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:34 pm

Thanks student!
So you would sign up for credit monitoring services with Capital One, which just today reported a data breach of 100 million people?!
I did Chase Credit Journey - above were just examples I believe.
In any case - I didn't know the breach was related to their credit monitoring service (and think post above was before the news hit).
DoctorPhysics

Post by DoctorPhysics »

ddunca1944 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:57 pm I filled it out but not spending it yet......

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/26/8932 ... mpensation

Losing legal rights for pennies? Maybe better to write them to opt out of the settlement class.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Capital One data breach is discussed here: Capital One data breach
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Pete3

Post by Pete3 »

Update on the FTC site about how no one who opt'd out of the free credit monitoring will be getting anywhere near $125

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-p ... ement#FAQ5

5. I thought I could choose $125 instead of free credit monitoring. What happened?
The public response to the settlement has been overwhelming. Millions of people have visited this site in just the first week. Because the total amount available for these alternative payments is $31 million, each person who takes the money option is going to get a very small amount. Nowhere near the $125 they could have gotten if there hadn’t been such an enormous number of claims filed.

The free credit monitoring provides a much better value, and everyone whose information was exposed can take advantage of it. If your information was exposed in the data breach, and you file a valid claim before the deadline, you are guaranteed at least four years of free monitoring at all three credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) and $1,000,000 of identity theft insurance, among other benefits. The market value of this product is hundreds of dollars per year.

You can still choose the cash option on the claim form, but you will be disappointed with the amount you receive and you won’t get the free credit monitoring.

6. I want to change my claim to get free credit monitoring instead of a cash payment. Can I do that?
Yes. The settlement administrator will be sending an email to people who already submitted a claim for the alternative cash payment. In that email, you will have the option to:

1) provide additional information OR

2) switch to free credit monitoring.

We will update this page with more information after the email goes out.

You also can send an email to info@EquifaxBreachSettlement.com to make a change to your claim.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

"Sorry, you’re not getting $125 from the Equifax settlement, FTC says"

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sorry ... o_homepage
bluquark

Post by bluquark »

I'll sit tight and wait for my 0.34$ check to come in the mail, as it will at least make for a funny joke to post on social media. Credit monitoring is less than worthless, my credit is frozen anyway and in my experience free credit monitoring seamlessly converts to paid monitoring that's hard to cancel.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

If they publish the actual number of claims for the $125 on a daily basis, one could make a decision on the last day to estimate the payout. OTOH, so will everyone else.

A few years ago, I received a check for about $0.11 for a different settlement. I don't remember what it was, but I put the check in the bank.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

Not sure why they gave an actual figure of $125. They made it appear to be a firm price...choose $125 or free monitoring
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

lakpr wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:06 pm
I would be very careful with sharing any information with Equifax. To me, the risk far outweighs the benefit.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Local news is saying we'd get far less than $125...what a surprise.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
Pete3

Post by Pete3 »

theplayer11 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:47 pm Not sure why they gave an actual figure of $125. They made it appear to be a firm price...choose $125 or free monitoring
I think that is why the FTC felt the need to clarify and give everyone another chance to change their mind about cash vs credit monitoring.

The original never mentioned it was $125 or $31 million split among everyone who requests cash instead, whichever is less.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sorry ... o_homepage
Remember that $125 you could have gotten from the Equifax Inc. data-breach settlement? Yeah, never mind.

The Federal Trade Commission announced Wednesday that, due to an overwhelming response, cash payments aren’t going to be anywhere near $125 each, and urged consumers to sign up for the free credit monitoring offered as an alternative.
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

Am I missing something?
It is my opinion that the judge will not accept the proposed settlement, because the plaintiffs advertised a particular dollar amount that the recipients will not receive. I do not think this is fair to the recipients and thus this settlement proposal should not be accepted.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

I filed my claim for the $125 payment today. I'll wait and see what (if anything) comes of it.
csm

Post by csm »

Has anyone received a follow up about their claim?

I was compromised and filed for the $125 payment since I already used Credit Karma to monitor my credit. I received an email yesterday stating that I had to verify (or amend) my claim by providing the name of the credit monitoring service I had in place when I filed my claim.

I'm assuming this is their way to reject claims if they do not recognize certain monitoring services as valid?
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

csm wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:45 am Has anyone received a follow up about their claim?

I was compromised and filed for the $125 payment since I already used Credit Karma to monitor my credit. I received an email yesterday stating that I had to verify (or amend) my claim by providing the name of the credit monitoring service I had in place when I filed my claim.

I'm assuming this is their way to reject claims if they do not recognize certain monitoring services as valid?
Yes got it as well, I supplied info on my two "credit monitoring" services. Lets see if they deny the claim...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
FireAway

Post by FireAway »

I opted for the "$125", as I don't trust Equifax for anything (I can't even get into their website, and the fact that they have incorrect data on me - which I can't correct - means I always have trouble whenever someone tries to 'verify my identity' using data from Equifax. Grrr.)

Today I got the "Prove to us you've got credit monitoring" email from them. My current credit monitoring - all more or less free - is:
1) Trueidentity
2) Service that comes free with Discover card
3) Service that comes 'free' with Chase Sapphire card.

You think any of these will be accepted by Equifax as a Credit Monitoring service?
student

Post by student »

csm wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:45 am Has anyone received a follow up about their claim?

I supplied the info that they requested.
student

Post by student »

FireAway wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:11 pm I opted for the "$125", as I don't trust Equifax for anything (I can't even get into their website, and the fact that they have incorrect data on me - which I can't correct - means I always have trouble whenever someone tries to 'verify my identity' using data from Equifax. Grrr.)

Today I got the "Prove to us you've got credit monitoring" email from them. My current credit monitoring - all more or less free - is:
1) Trueidentity

You think any of these will be accepted by Equifax as a Credit Monitoring service?
I would think so, those free services specifically mention credit monitoring.
Megamill

Post by Megamill »

DH and me were supposedly affected (after I entered the last 6 of our SS a couple weeks ago) so we both opted for the free monitoring service, but I just realized that we never received any follow up e-mail with next steps, etc. I did save a copy of the pdf summary for both of us, but still, shouldn't we receive some kind of status update on this or do we just have to trust that all 3 bureaus have initiated the monitoring service? Anyone know?
NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 »

FireAway wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:11 pm I opted for the "$125", as I don't trust Equifax for anything (I can't even get into their website, and the fact that they have incorrect data on me - which I can't correct - means I always have trouble whenever someone tries to 'verify my identity' using data from Equifax. Grrr.)

1) Trueidentity

Where does it state that Chase Sapphire offers free credit monitoring? I don't see it in the benefits literature.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I figure if I get 1 dollar, at least I got something. The credit monitoring is worthless with frozen credit. I refuse to go with the alternative to credit freeze, credit lock, as it still allows them to make money off my data.
ww340

Post by ww340 »

I got the email asking for my source of credit monitoring.

I have Transunion credit monitoring through Mint.com
I have Credit Wise with Capital One
I do not see any credit monitoring on our Chase accounts

I would not want to take credit monitoring from the same company that already allowed a data breach of my information, so I will take whatever I can get in monetary payment. Not expecting much, but at least I can offer them some grief in the process. I once ordered a one time "free" credit report from them that resulted in them charging us repeatedly over several months. I know I will never get even, but I hope to inflict any pain within my power.
student

Post by student »

NavyIC3 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:55 am

1) Trueidentity

Where does it state that Chase Sapphire offers free credit monitoring? I don't see it in the benefits literature.
Not just for Chase Sapphire holders, it is for everyone. https://www.chase.creditviewdashboard.c ... haseBankNA You just have to sign up.
student

Post by student »

ww340 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:16 pm I do not see any credit monitoring on our Chase accounts
Not just for Chase customers, it is for everyone. https://www.chase.creditviewdashboard.c ... haseBankNA You just have to sign up.
Last edited by student on Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Anyone impacted by OPM breach has credit monitoring through 2025.
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

I got the same email saying that I need to prove I have monitoring.. just going to ignore it. I don't want any of Equifax's lousy services.. no thanks. My reports are all frozen anyway.. I don't use credit very much.
Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:02 pm I got the same email saying that I need to prove I have monitoring.. just going to ignore it. I don't want any of Equifax's lousy services.. no thanks. My reports are all frozen anyway.. I don't use credit very much.
+1
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I got the email and edited claim to enter "credit karma".

I doubt i see $125 because of too many claims against equifax , but I'm not sure equifax free credit monitoring provides any more value than a frozen credit + credit karma. I suspect the email was a ploy to steer people away from the $125.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Likewise, my credit is frozen and I don't see much value in Equifax's credit monitoring service. I already have TransUnion's free monitoring service.

I went for the money. :moneybag As noted earlier, I had no qualms about depositing an 11¢ ($0.11) check. Let's see how this one turns out.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:22 pm Likewise, my credit is frozen and I don't see much value in Equifax's credit monitoring service. I already have TransUnion's free monitoring service.

I went for the money. :moneybag As noted earlier, I had no qualms about depositing an 11¢ ($0.11) check. Let's see how this one turns out.
I filled out the form and listed Experian's free credit monitoring. I also expect very little in terms of the settlement. :(
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

Does one have to have received the email to be eligible?

I know there's a site to see if you are eligible, but I'd rather not put all my info. in there.. I would guess everyone in US with a credit card is eligible, no?
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

knightrider wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:37 am Does one have to have received the email to be eligible?

I know there's a site to see if you are eligible, but I'd rather not put all my info. in there.. I would guess everyone in US with a credit card is eligible, no?
To be eligible your personal information had to be involved in the Equifax data breech. Having a credit card would not really be the issue as you could have a credit file without a credit card. If you are at all squeamish about putting your info into the site to determine your eligibility then I suggest passing on this one as the payout is going to be quite small...