Working 4 days a week?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
GordonG

Working 4 days a week?

Post by GordonG » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:13 am

Not even sure my employer will let me do this, but I've been considering it. I have to check into the details, but I'm assuming they'd make me take a 20% pay cut, and benefits would still be available.

My situation is this: 39 yo, own a house and it's paid off, zero debt. Current salary is about $170K. Net worth is near $900K (retirement accounts, savings, property, etc). I'm not married (but in a relationship), and no kids (don't want them).

At this point in my life, I make more than enough to do just about anything I want, within reason. I have several hobbies that I enjoy, including photography. I got into this several years ago, and just love it. In another life, I could see myself doing it as a career. I kind of wish I would've discovered my joy for it sooner in life, but well, that's how things go. If I made a little more or a little less money, I'm still not going to be able to buy the really extravagant things like a fancy yacht or an airplane or a $5M house. I think to me, free time is more valuable than a 20% difference in pay.

My only concern is, I wouldn't be reaching my full earning potential, but [Deleted - mod oldcomputerguy] making 6-figures for a part-time job is not too shabby. I see some of the older folks that are retired, and many are no longer in the physical shape to do things I like to do, so what's the point of being off work if you can't enjoy yourself? I'd rather have some extra time now while I'm still young.

These are just some of my thoughts. I'd like to hear what you all think. Maybe some of you have done the same thing?

fposte

Re: Working 4 days a week?

Post by fposte » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:14 am

If they're not okay with dropping you to part-time but would be okay with you working 4 10s, would that be a possibility?

chevca

Post by chevca » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:20 am

GordonG wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:13 am
Not even sure my employer will let me do this, but I've been considering it.
Well, first things first... How about seeing if you can even do this before discussing it? :wink:

I worked a 4/10 schedule in the past and loved it. A three day weekend every week is awesome, IMO.

Topic Author
GordonG

Post by GordonG » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:22 am

fposte wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:14 am
If they're not okay with dropping you to part-time but would be okay with you working 4 10s, would that be a possibility?
Maybe, but no one else in my dept. does that, so not sure they'd want to let me be the only one. Not really sure I want to work 10-hour days anyway. Actually, right now I work 9-10 hrs (or longer) on occasion.

Topic Author
GordonG

Post by GordonG » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:25 am

chevca wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:20 am
GordonG wrote:
Well, first things first... How about seeing if you can even do this before discussing it? :wink:

I worked a 4/10 schedule in the past and loved it. A three day weekend every week is awesome, IMO.
I'm currently checking into it. I work in the medical field, and there are currently two of us with the same job in my dept. The hospital has complained over the years that we're not busy enough to have 2 FTEs for this job, so I would think they'd jump at the chance to take my offer, but we'll see. How it works now is, my regional hospital pays like 0.7 of my salary, and the main hospital picks up the rest (since I do remote work for them).

FederalFIRE

Post by FederalFIRE » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:25 am

Like Chevca, I have also done the 4/10 schedule before as well as a 5-4/9 schedule (every other Friday off). The extra weekend day is great, and I would still do that now if it was feasible in my job.

It's definitely likely that your benefits would be affected by going to 80% time, so you'll want to be careful about that. You may have to be that fractional amount more into insurance and other benefits if you have them. This could effectively mean dropping salary by more than 20%. Definitely run the math on those scenarios first.

fposte

Post by fposte » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:30 am

Have other people dropped to PT?

You've answered the question I have about workload--sounds like that isn't the problem it would usually present. It also sounds like you're exempt and presumably would be part-time exempt. Is there a high risk of creep onto your off day via emails, meetings, etc.?

In a lot of workplaces it still wouldn't hurt to ask, though (presumably you have a sense of whether it would be tone-deaf in your workplace or not). Just be aware of the pitfalls.

zimmer0

Post by zimmer0 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:31 am

Whats PTO policy look like? Perhaps you can use it to your advantage while still getting paid as FTE.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:48 am

A 4-day work week is around 4 days too many.

7-day weekends are pretty awesome.
Funding secured

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:56 am

GordonG wrote:
Not even sure my employer will let me do this, but I've been considering it. I have to check into the details, but I'm assuming they'd make me take a 20% pay cut, and benefits would still be available.

My situation is this: 39 yo, own a house and it's paid off, zero debt. Current salary is about $170K. Net worth is near $900K (retirement accounts, savings, property, etc). I'm not married (but in a relationship), and no kids (don't want them).

At this point in my life, I make more than enough to do just about anything I want, within reason. I have several hobbies that I enjoy, including photography. I got into this several years ago, and just love it. In another life, I could see myself doing it as a career. I kind of wish I would've discovered my joy for it sooner in life, but well, that's how things go. If I made a little more or a little less money, I'm still not going to be able to buy the really extravagant things like a fancy yacht or an airplane or a $5M house. I think to me, free time is more valuable than a 20% difference in pay.

My only concern is, I wouldn't be reaching my full earning potential, but [Deleted - mod oldcomputerguy] making 6-figures for a part-time job is not too shabby. I see some of the older folks that are retired, and many are no longer in the physical shape to do things I like to do, so what's the point of being off work if you can't enjoy yourself? I'd rather have some extra time now while I'm still young.

These are just some of my thoughts. I'd like to hear what you all think. Maybe some of you have done the same thing?
My guess is that, with a salary of about $170k, it might be very difficult to translate that into days per week working. Even if this could be done, then consider certain benefits, etc. are fixed costs (such as medical) and more than a 20% reduction might be justified.

Do you actually "work" only the five days a week, and 40 total hours?

I suspect a more "radical" job/career change might be the only way of accomplishing this.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:58 am

GordonG wrote:

....Maybe some of you have done the same thing?
OP, I’ve done something similar. Here is my story.

I early retired at 53 from a senior executive position with a sort of mega-Corp (NYSE listed public company, >15,000 employees, revenues of $3B). In 2005 I felt I had enough of the 60 hour work weeks and constant pressure and stress and spoke with my CEO about retiring. I was done. Much to my surprise he was incredibly flexible in negotiating with me a part-time work schedule (~3 days per week - generally Monday’s and Fridays off) - following a 15 month period where I transitioned my responsibilities to my successor - where I remained in a senior finance capacity but more of a consultative role. No G&O’s no performance reviews, no travel unless I was up for it. This continued for 9 years. Ultimately I left after the company was acquired and the senior leadership team was exited.

So I think it depends on your relationship with the person(s) in the position to decide on your proposal. I heard rumor that a few people asked the CEO for the same part-time deal I had and were told if they could add the value I did they would get it - none got it.

I never regretted for one minute doing this. FWIW (and this may or may not be relevant), I had considerably more saved than you and earned multiples of your salary. So much more cushion in the numbers so to speak.

Let me know if you have more specific questions.

Edited to add: The deal I negotiated was 24 hours per week. Any hours worked in excess of 24 was paid at my hourly rate. This avoided the issue that others mention of your doing 40 hours of work in four days.
Last edited by MikeG62 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:00 am

chevca wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:20 am
GordonG wrote:

For years I also worked a 4/10 schedule, be was able to set it up to alternate starting on Monday and Tuesday. I preferred having a 4-day weekend every other week, since that made short trips much nicer. The 4/10 schedule also effectively shortens your commute by 20%.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:05 am

I'd ask. The worst thing they can do is say no. I'm assuming since your salary is so large that they'd hate to lose you, and you mean a lot to the company. If I could pull it off, I absolutely would, and I barely make half of what you make. Life is meant for living, not working.

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:06 am

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:00 am
For years I also worked a 4/10 schedule, be was able to set it up to alternate starting on Monday and Tuesday. I preferred having a 4-day weekend every other week, since that made short trips much nicer.
That's a clever idea. I've never considered that before. Thanks for pointing it out.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:10 am

I cut back to around 32 hours per week a few years ago when I was a bit younger than you, and it was one of my best life decisions. I use that extra time to exercise, spend time outdoors, or loaf around and do absolutely nothing (no kids, so plenty of opportunity to do this). My job is production based so I make less money now that I did, but at this point in my investing life, the effects of market returns outweigh my contributions, so the income change made no noticeable difference.

If you have the ability to do it, I'd say go for it.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:15 am

Anecdotally, most of the folks I know in that salary range (in the private sector) tend to work well over 40 hours a week. They tend to have a job to get accomplished and spend the hours needed to do it.

Seems to me that the key here would be to have a defined "job" to get accomplished that could be done in fewer hours.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:20 am

If you can reduce hours and actually work reduced hours, this sounds great. I've seen more than one manager who isn't quite ready to retire but wants more time off drop to 4 days a week for 80% of salary. Every one of them ended up working longer hours for the 4 days they were in and most came in on the 5th day because "there's work undone". If you really can be gone within minutes of expected quitting time, then that's great. If you simply get dropped to 80% of pay and end up working the same hours, then what's the point?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:25 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:20 am
If you can reduce hours and actually work reduced hours, this sounds great. I've seen more than one manager who isn't quite ready to retire but wants more time off drop to 4 days a week for 80% of salary. Every one of them ended up working longer hours for the 4 days they were in and most came in on the 5th day because "there's work undone". If you really can be gone within minutes of expected quitting time, then that's great. If you simply get dropped to 80% of pay and end up working the same hours, then what's the point?
Yes :sharebeer

Some folks want to do this when they have younger children for the flexibility of childcare and parental duties. Many, especially women, seem to be fairly successful at doing this.

Topic Author
GordonG

Post by GordonG » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:30 am

fposte wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:30 am
Have other people dropped to PT?

You've answered the question I have about workload--sounds like that isn't the problem it would usually present. It also sounds like you're exempt and presumably would be part-time exempt. Is there a high risk of creep onto your off day via emails, meetings, etc.?

In a lot of workplaces it still wouldn't hurt to ask, though (presumably you have a sense of whether it would be tone-deaf in your workplace or not). Just be aware of the pitfalls.
I think everyone in my position is FT, but we had a doc here who worked PT. I think she was only 0.6 or 0.7 FTE. There's some risk of work creeping into off time, but I try to minimize that now, so don't think it'd be much different if I were off one more day.

Topic Author
GordonG

Post by GordonG » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:33 am

dm200 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:56 am
GordonG wrote:

My guess is that, with a salary of about $170k, it might be very difficult to translate that into days per week working. Even if this could be done, then consider certain benefits, etc. are fixed costs (such as medical) and more than a 20% reduction might be justified.

Do you actually "work" only the five days a week, and 40 total hours?

I suspect a more "radical" job/career change might be the only way of accomplishing this.
Some weeks I'm probably putting in around 40 hours, but others more. Being salary, it's hard for us to say "well, I just put in my 8 hours, so that's it, I'm outta here."

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:40 am

4/10 sounds pretty amazing. In my industry it is more common to see a 9/80 where you get every other Friday off. Flexibility on what day to take off would be nice but it is pretty important to have everybody available on the same days. I've heard of some places that had different groups take alternating Friday's off and this was a huge pain for upper-management as they'd always have some component of the company unavailable on Fridays, and couldn't really take a Friday off for themselves either as they always had to be available.

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:13 am

I worked 9/80 for a few years and quite enjoyed it - especially since I was young with no obligations and lived right next to great outdoor activities. Having a three day weekend every other weekend was great.

These days I'm 3/4 time (30 hrs a week) and boy does that extra 10 hrs a week make a *huge* difference. Much happier for it. With a kid now time is even more precious.

I did try one year at 1/2 time and it was sort of too much free time for me at that point. I found myself "wasting" a fair bit of my extra hours in the week. Maybe I'll be ready for it soon after more practice at 3/4 time ;)

At least in my situation there is no risk to the various changes. My employer is desperate for my time and so if I ever feel the need to go back to full time it won't be an issue and they also know they'd much rather have half my time than none of my time so it is easy to throttle down more if desired. They give full benefits down to 1/2 time which is nice. Also any hours I work over 3/4 become either comp time or are paid out at my equivalent hourly rate.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:29 am

Ask, all they can do is say no. I work every Wednesday (right now) and every other Friday from home (and every so often on top of that). It's not common at all at my employer to work remotely, but it wasn't a problem at all when I asked. This does, kind of, mean that I am always "on call", but I'm almost never in the office for more than 30hrs/week.

Elric

Post by Elric » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:38 am

GordonG wrote:

My former employer was very open to this. Full benefits medical benefits, 20% pay cut, vacation time earned per hour worked and retirement contribution the same percentage of the reduced salary. A number of women with families did this, and I did it for awhile before fully retiring. This wasn't in the medical field, but professional work with 6-figure salaries.

It depends on where you work, both from a practicality view and equally important, from a management attitude view.
"No man is free who works for a living." | Illya Kuryakin

feh

Post by feh » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:05 pm

GordonG wrote:
I'd determine how long it may delay your full retirement. If that's acceptable to you, and your employer says ok, why not?

We reached FI 3 years ago, and I switched to 2 days/week. Life is good. :happy

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:19 pm

I did something similar and have no regrets and can't imagine ever wanting to go back. I was in stronger financial shape than you, but you will continue earning far more than me and should be fine if your spending is in check.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:20 pm

open_circuit wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:06 am
neilpilot wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:00 am
For years I also worked a 4/10 schedule, be was able to set it up to alternate starting on Monday and Tuesday. I preferred having a 4-day weekend every other week, since that made short trips much nicer.
That's a clever idea. I've never considered that before. Thanks for pointing it out.
I work a 3/10 schedule mainly to keep the medical insurance for me and my wife. I can take a short (5 - 6 days) vacation by working three first days one week and three last days the following week, and we do this quite often. There is no doubt in my mind that working part-time has extended my career and I would strongly recommend it to anyone who is financially independent but think they're too young to retire or want to keep company-provided benefits.

TravelforFun

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:27 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:20 am
This was the situation in the company I retired from, just over a dozen years ago. It was a stated policy for anyone who wanted to reduce their hours by 20% (and a 20% reduction in pay, but medical benefits remained the same).

Since I was in my "pre-retirement" wind down period, I gave it serious thought. However, based upon the various projects/committees I was involved with, the idea of an extra day off was nice, but not reality.

I could not opt for the 4-day week, so I opted for the 7-day week off - of retirement :mrgreen:

- Ron

StealthRabbit

Post by StealthRabbit » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:04 pm

I strongly suggest going a giant step beyond ASKING, and write a proposal that covers all the 'What-ifs?'

Your employer has duties to meet / fulfill, so... give them confidence you have their needs under control and it is in your best interest to do so.

With (2) sharing roles, work this out with your work buddy. (In one case we rotated 4 day weeks so that every other weekend was 4 days off.) +/-

I am very serious about 'work-hard / Play-hard' and at one time my boss would not allow 4 day, but my company had a policy that required boss to justify why we could NOT work a 4 day schedule.. We brought our case to arbitration and the workers won! Thus.. 4 day weeks for over 10 of 30 yrs in the salt mines. Yippee! (I usually had a farm or PT jobs for weekends anyway)

Time (OFF) is very valuable. In fact... every hour is valuable and your company is just RENTING your time... Sell to the highest / best bidder. (The BEST bidder may be the one with decent (ok) pay & schedule and the most time off)

BTW: I would NOT complicate it with PT / fractional service... I would work 4x10 or 3 x12.5 and 'get-er-done' and get outta there.

Topic Author
GordonG

Post by GordonG » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:32 pm

Thanks for the input!

My only problem with 4 tens is that since I take about an hour for lunch, it'd likely be an 11-hour day. On top of that, my main goal for thinking of doing this is to work less not more.

rosebrook

Post by rosebrook » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:33 pm

I'm 58 and reduced my schedule this year to a 0.9 - 4-9's a week, 72 hours biweekly. Has worked out well so far. I can handle the financial hit, have 3-day weekends, maintain my health insurance, and have still have some $$ left over to contribute to my 401K.

Will probably try to phase in to retirement. Maybe go to 54-64 hours when I'm 60. Find that the time is worth more than the money. My goal was to retire at 55 but came up a little short on that. I'll continue to live below my means, save 20% of income and hope the market keeps chugging along.

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:44 pm

You might also consider only working 4 days a week in the summer. Take a single vacation day every week for ten weeks of summer and go on long weekends with the family. I suggest you start doing this right now if your benefit plan allows it. You can do this with no salary or benefit cut. So just work less in the summer and get your staff and company used to you not being there on Fridays or Mondays. And if you schedule it right you can even have four day mini vacations.

I worked most of my career in Phoenix at a Mega Corp where many of the senior people did this. It was almost impossible to schedule meetings on Fridays. It is crazy hot here in the summer so lots of people go to the mountains or the beach for 2-3 months. They take the kids and leave for most of the summer. Then the husband and wife alternate taking time off to stay in the cool with the kids. It is where the term Zonie came from to describe Arizona families that go to San Diego for the summer.

Good Luck.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:45 pm

Do it.

My wife went down to a .8FTE and works four days a week. She doesn't regret it one bit. Now once the house is paid off and the savings account is a bit beefier, I'll consider asking my boss the same exact question.

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:26 pm

I retired about 13 years ago but was scheduled to retire the year before that. My boss asked me if I would stay another year. I said OK as long as I could work 4 days a week for the same pay. (bonus and options too). He agreed. Was very nice to get every Friday off. And I did indeed get every Friday off.

esteen

Post by esteen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:41 pm

Time is more important than money. I say if you have the desire, then go for it!

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:50 pm

GordonG wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:22 am
fposte wrote:
Maybe, but no one else in my dept. does that, so not sure they'd want to let me be the only one. Not really sure I want to work 10-hour days anyway. Actually, right now I work 9-10 hrs (or longer) on occasion.
If I were in your shoes... I would explain to my management that this what I want in a job going forward either they are going to accommodate you or you can find an employer who will.

Your financial leverage is huge... you are in a similar situation as I am and take as much time out of the office as I can get.

Topic Author
GordonG

Post by GordonG » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:07 pm

esteen wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:41 pm
Time is more important than money. I say if you have the desire, then go for it!
Totally agree. I think that once someone has enough money to live comfortably, the extra time becomes much more valuable.

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:50 pm
GordonG wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:22 am
fposte wrote:
If I were in your shoes... I would explain to my management that this what I want in a job going forward either they are going to accommodate you or you can find an employer who will.

Your financial leverage is huge... you are in a similar situation as I am and take as much time out of the office as I can get.
That is a good point. I'm supposed to talk with one of the bosses today, and I'm really interested in what he will say. Since the admins at my site have already said they don't need two full timers to cover the job duties, I don't see why they wouldn't go along with the proposal. I'd be doing them a favor. There are actually a few other options for employment in my city ATM, but my job is very specialized so switching isn't the easiest thing, especially if I want to stay in town.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:36 pm

GordonG wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:07 pm

...I'm supposed to talk with one of the bosses today, and I'm really interested in what he will say. Since the admins at my site have already said they don't need two full timers to cover the job duties, I don't see why they wouldn't go along with the proposal. I'd be doing them a favor. There are actually a few other options for employment in my city ATM, but my job is very specialized so switching isn't the easiest thing, especially if I want to stay in town.
Your employer might be intrigued by saving a few dollars; however, the person you share job responsibilities with might have a different view, especially if they somehow feel they now have more work to do as a result of your new situation. Just saying it might not be a simple dollars and cents decision.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:25 pm

I was in a similar situation as you, and successfully negotiated a reduction in my work week in exchange for a reduction in salary. Here's my story:

When I was 53, there was a confluence of events that I'd been anticipating since I was 40: My wife and I paid off our mortgage, and my youngest child graduated from college, and I would no longer be helping him financially. It was time for me to go my own way. I too am in the health care field. My plan was to go to 2 days a week, and I really needed 40% of my then income. I approached my employer, who I knew to be a serious negotiator. Knowing that, I padded my salary request by 10%.

Important: I also had a Plan B and a Plan C, each of which involved leaving the company I'd worked for for many years. I didn't threaten or beg, I just said, "I've got a deal for you, and here it is." They knew I was serious.

When they got back to me they said it would be okay, but they offered me exactly 10% less than what I'd requested! For once I'd anticipated things rightly. I took the deal, started working Tuesdays and Thursdays, and went back to college (MW&F) in a totally unrelated field (music). Four years later, I got my degree, and never went back to full time. I didn't need to. I worked 2 days a week until I reached 66, took SS, and retired completely from my company. Meanwhile, I followed my passion, played gigs, composed music, and have never regretted it.

Having alternate plans helped in taking the risk of approaching my employers.

Unlike most of my contemporaries, I maintain a strict home workout schedule, am in pretty good health for a 72 year old, and have had two books recently published (one fiction, one NF). I'm still playing gigs, traveling, writing, and other satisfying activities.

Final piece of advice: You really need to fill your newly gained time with something that you love. Otherwise, you'd just as well stay at work.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

Topic Author
GordonG

Post by GordonG » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:45 pm

Jazztonight wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:25 pm
I was in a similar situation as you, and successfully negotiated a reduction in my work week in exchange for a reduction in salary. Here's my story:

When I was 53, there was a confluence of events that I'd been anticipating since I was 40: My wife and I paid off our mortgage, and my youngest child graduated from college, and I would no longer be helping him financially. It was time for me to go my own way. I too am in the health care field. My plan was to go to 2 days a week, and I really needed 40% of my then income. I approached my employer, who I knew to be a serious negotiator. Knowing that, I padded my salary request by 10%.

Important: I also had a Plan B and a Plan C, each of which involved leaving the company I'd worked for for many years. I didn't threaten or beg, I just said, "I've got a deal for you, and here it is." They knew I was serious.

When they got back to me they said it would be okay, but they offered me exactly 10% less than what I'd requested! For once I'd anticipated things rightly. I took the deal, started working Tuesdays and Thursdays, and went back to college (MW&F) in a totally unrelated field (music). Four years later, I got my degree, and never went back to full time. I didn't need to. I worked 2 days a week until I reached 66, took SS, and retired completely from my company. Meanwhile, I followed my passion, played gigs, composed music, and have never regretted it.

Having alternate plans helped in taking the risk of approaching my employers.

Unlike most of my contemporaries, I maintain a strict home workout schedule, am in pretty good health for a 72 year old, and have had two books recently published (one fiction, one NF). I'm still playing gigs, traveling, writing, and other satisfying activities.

Final piece of advice: You really need to fill your newly gained time with something that you love. Otherwise, you'd just as well stay at work.
Thanks, man. Congrats! It definitely sounds like you made the right decision.

I talked to one of my bosses this evening, and he seemed like he'd be onboard. I still need to talk with another boss, and make sure all my colleagues think it's doable. However, if they say no, I don't really see how their position is defensible because the higher-ups at my regional site have been saying for years they don't need 2 FTEs.

There is currently another position in town that I know of, and I'm going to check into that as well. If I went there and they'd take me at 4 days/week, I bet I could get a raise, and make more there than I would after the 20% cut at my current employer.

I have a few loves at the moment...photography, kayaking, piano, reading, etc, so I would definitely be able to keep myself entertained. I was talking to a family member tonight, and they were saying how most people are ready and/or want to go back to work after being on vacation for a bit. Well, not me. I was just off 2 weeks straight, and I wasn't missing it at all. I did miss some of my coworkers, but that was about it. I do get bored easily, but I usually manage to find ways to entertain myself, so I'm thinking filling in that extra day of will not be a problem 8-)