Do I need a transaction free credit card for Ireland?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
02nz

Re: Do I need a transaction free credit card for Ireland?

Post by 02nz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:02 pm

lakpr wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:12 am
neilpilot wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:41 am
Cody wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:58 am
If I use say Capital One Quicksilver (may get that one) and I want ATM cash how does that work. Need $200, put in the card, get the cash. What would you expect that to cost?
Consider using your checking ATM. If it's anything like mine, no fees & a fair exchange rate. Any cc will typically charge you a cash advance fee at the ATM.
I don’t feel comfortable with this idea, especially using a checking ATM in a foreign country. If the ATM was compromised, your entire checking account could be at risk.

Much rather use a credit card for cash withdrawal, and eat the ATM fee. $6 fee on a $200 equivalent withdrawal is just $6 premium you will be paying to have the credit card money be at risk than your own.
Using a credit card for cash withdrawals generally costs more than 3%. On top of ATM fees, you’ll be charged the cash advance interest rate, and it accrues from the moment of withdrawal, there’s no grace period like with purchases.

Nothing is entirely without risk, but I’ve made probably over a thousand ATM transactions outside the U.S, all over the world with various debit cards, never any problems with fraud.

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:07 pm

texasdiver wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:54 pm
dbr wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:17 pm
texasdiver wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:11 pm
The Costco VISA through CitiBank has no international transaction fees. If you have reason to be a Costco member it is one worth looking at. But only worth getting if you are a Costco member
That card is also contactless.
Is that good or bad?
Contactless card can be used where a regular chip card may have to otherwise require a PIN, thus causing issues overseas.

OTOH, every card is contactless when used with Android/Samsung/Apple pay ;)
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:09 pm

02nz wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:02 pm
lakpr wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:12 am
neilpilot wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:41 am
Cody wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:58 am
If I use say Capital One Quicksilver (may get that one) and I want ATM cash how does that work. Need $200, put in the card, get the cash. What would you expect that to cost?
Consider using your checking ATM. If it's anything like mine, no fees & a fair exchange rate. Any cc will typically charge you a cash advance fee at the ATM.
I don’t feel comfortable with this idea, especially using a checking ATM in a foreign country. If the ATM was compromised, your entire checking account could be at risk.

Much rather use a credit card for cash withdrawal, and eat the ATM fee. $6 fee on a $200 equivalent withdrawal is just $6 premium you will be paying to have the credit card money be at risk than your own.
Using a credit card for cash withdrawals generally costs more than 3%. On top of ATM fees, you’ll be charged the cash advance interest rate, and it accrues from the moment of withdrawal, there’s no grace period like with purchases.

Nothing is entirely without risk, but I’ve made probably over a thousand ATM transactions outside the U.S, all over the world with various debit cards, never any problems with fraud.
As long as you're using a bank ATM and not one in a retailer, the likelihood of fraud is very low. That's the approach we've used when getting cash overseas, and it's easy, cheap, and secure. I wouldn't use a credit card for a cash advance unless I truly had no other option due to the costs involved.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

KingRiggs

Post by KingRiggs » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:10 pm

Vulcan wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:07 pm
texasdiver wrote:
dbr wrote:
texasdiver wrote:
The Costco VISA through CitiBank has no international transaction fees. If you have reason to be a Costco member it is one worth looking at. But only worth getting if you are a Costco member
Is that good or bad?
Contactless card can be used where a regular chip card may have to otherwise require a PIN, thus causing issues overseas.

I found ApplePay to be the most universally accepted and easiest to use in London/UK this summer.

Since our physical cards do not have "chip and PIN", they would have to run the card, then bring a machine for us to sign. Got the impression this was not what businesses there were used to seeing. ApplePay made it seamless.
Advice = noun | Advise = verb | | Roth, not ROTH

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:12 pm

KingRiggs wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:10 pm
Vulcan wrote:
texasdiver wrote:
dbr wrote:
texasdiver wrote:
Is that good or bad?

I found ApplePay to be the most universally accepted and easiest to use in London/UK this summer.

Since our physical cards do not have "chip and PIN", they would have to run the card, then bring a machine for us to sign. Got the impression this was not what businesses there were used to seeing. ApplePay made it seamless.
Last summer (2018) I used Apple Pay almost everywhere in Germany (90-95% acceptance). The cashiers were often surprised, as Apple Pay had not yet launched in Germany (German banks were not yet supporting it for their customers), but the infrastructure was in place and it worked.

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:14 pm

KingRiggs wrote:
Vulcan wrote:

:beer
The US is waay behind the rest of the world on NFC adoption.
Amond a number of other things.
Something to consider when contemplating US/Intl allocation.
But that is the matter for a different thread. A lot of them, actually:-)

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:22 pm

02nz wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:12 pm
KingRiggs wrote:
Vulcan wrote:
texasdiver wrote:
dbr wrote:

Is that good or bad?

Last summer (2018) I used Apple Pay almost everywhere in Germany (90-95% acceptance). The cashiers were often surprised, as Apple Pay had not yet launched in Germany (German banks were not yet supporting it for their customers), but the infrastructure was in place and it worked.
Paid with my phone to enter subway in Kiev:-) A long line to buy tokens from a machine or a cashier otherwise during the rush hour.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:22 pm

I would only withdrawal cash at a reputable bank ATM and nothing else. I would expect most of the world is now credit card anyway.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!"

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:28 pm

02nz wrote:
There really is no such thing as Apple/Android/Samsung pay, as far as merchants are concerned.
They are all just an NFC card to them.
Whether the merchant displays Apple/Android/Samsung pay sign is irrlevant so long as the NFC icon is present on their reader.
I surprised a small mom-and-pop bakery in our home town here in the US by being the first customer paying with a phone.
They had no idea their reader was NFC capable, let alone "Samsung Pay capable".

That German banks did not let their customers use Apple pay with their cards is, of course, a separate issue, but NFC cards have been used in Europe for a loong time.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:41 pm

Vulcan wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:28 pm
02nz wrote:
There really is no such thing as Apple/Android/Samsung pay, as far as merchants are concerned.
Whether the merchant displays Apple/Android/Samsung pay sign is irrlevant so long as the NFC icon is present on their reader.
I surprised a small mom-and-pop bakery in our home town here in the US by being the first customer paying with a phone.

That German banks did not let their customers use Apple pay with their cards is, of course, a separate issue, but NFC cards have been used in Europe for a loong time.
99% of the time this is true, yet I’ve come across some merchants that only had NFC only supporting Samsung Pay and not Apple Pay. For example at H-Mart (Korean grocery store chain) Apple Pay worked, then support was removed (Samsung Pay still worked), then recently Apple Pay was brought back.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:42 pm

Vulcan wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:14 pm
KingRiggs wrote:
Vulcan wrote:

There you go betting against the U.S.! Next thing you know you’ll be investing in North Korea. :P

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:42 pm

Vulcan wrote:
...Samsung Pay, of course, has an added advantage of being able to trick non-NFC capable readers into thinking a card has been swiped, which is why I was confidence it would work with their reader in the first place.

Only in looking at the receipt did I discover that the payment actually was made as a contactless one rather than a swipe.

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:44 pm

02nz wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:41 pm
Vulcan wrote:
02nz wrote:

99% of the time this is true, yet I’ve come across some merchants that only had NFC only supporting Samsung Pay and not Apple Pay. For example at H-Mart (Korean grocery store chain) Apple Pay worked, then support was removed (Samsung Pay still worked), then recently Apple Pay was brought back.
Most likely in that case Samsung Pay worked by tricking the reader into thinking the card was swiped, as I described above.

I use Samsung pay regularly at my neighborhood Kroger, which is not NFC-equipped.
Last edited by Vulcan on Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:46 pm

02nz wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:42 pm
Vulcan wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:14 pm
KingRiggs wrote:
Vulcan wrote:

There you go betting against the U.S.! Next thing you know you’ll be investing in North Korea. :P
Not betting all money on one horse does not equal betting against it. Of course.;)

And if NK introduces marketable equities and VTWAX includes them in proportion to their global market cap, I would be perfectly OK with continuing to hold said VTWAX ;)

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:17 pm

texasdiver wrote:
dbr wrote:
texasdiver wrote:
Is that good or bad?
It's good because it is faster and more convenient as a payment method for small transaction in stores, kiosks, paying bus fare, etc. In some countries, Australia for example, it is almost assumed you will pay that way. A main alternative/competitor is using your phone with Apple Pay or similar. The US is way behind the curve in these sorts of technologies including true chip and pin, etc. Contactless is available on that Costco card, on a lot of Capital One cards, on the BA and EI cards from Chase, on a number of AMEX cards (which did not work in Australia because small shops usually don't take AMEX).

To stay on topic this may not be a big deal in Ireland as they may not be as far along with that technology. I am not sure. I used my Costco card to pay out of a parking garage last night by just waving the card rather than inserting, waiting for the chip to read, and removing the card.

Here are some references:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit- ... hones.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit- ... 017-a.html

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:46 am

dbr wrote:
texasdiver wrote:
It also earns you 3% for travel and restaurants and 4% for gas.

balbrec2

Post by balbrec2 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:48 am

lakpr wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:35 am
Apply for Chase Sapphire Preferred card, it pairs well with the existing Chase Freedom card. It does have an annual fee, but does not have foreign transaction fee. Its rewards can be use domestically. If used for travel (flights or hotels), either domestic or international, you get a 25% bonus. There is also a 50,000 point bonus if you spend $4k on it within the first 90 days, which is $500 in cash, or $625 in travel rewards.

If you are going to Ireland, perhaps you can apply for the card, charge the air fare on it that would let you meet the bonus requirements. There is no annual fee the first year, and the bonus will be enough to pay for next 4 years worth of annual fees.
The annual fee which is $95, on this card, is no longer waived for the first year.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:30 am

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (credit card).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Eszpresszo

Post by Eszpresszo » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:58 pm

I travel abroad twice a year, and have learned a few lessons. Here is my advice. There are many card companies that offer no-transaction fee for overseas purchases. The one I prefer is the Capital One Venture, which accrues points that can be used to retroactively credit you back for travel related purchases (lodging, airfare, etc). I accrued sufficient points to pay for a week rental of an AirBnb apartment in Rio De Janeiro. Yes, it works.
But, if you are going to use cash (and you will need to do that everywhere) then you will need to use ATMs (except in some places like Thailand where the best exchange rate is found by actually exchanging pristine US $100 bills). Overseas ATMs often hit you with a nasty transaction fee of $3 to $6 ( or higher). Yes, that can be that high and often are in some nations. Then you can also be hit with a fee from your bank for using an out of network ATM. So, it can be expensive to use ATMs, whereas currency exchanges are harder to do in most nations, and outright difficult in some places.
The solution to that is the Charles Schwab Bank debit card. You will be assessed the high fees are overseas ATMs, but at the end of the month, Schwab will refund them to you. Really. It works domestically, as well. They reimbursed me around $20 in fees incurred on a long weekend in Colombia, and closer to $50 in fees following 10 days in Brazil. Yes, those fees get real expensive. That is why the Schwab Bank card is the debit card of choice for travelers.

oilrig

Post by oilrig » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:29 am

Every time I traveled overseas I would stop at a big bank's ATM and withdraw around $100 USD equivalent just to have for various expenses. However, one time in Istanbul I withdrew some money at a big bank's ATM (I believe HSBC), and I unknowingly received a counterfeit bill. I believe it was around $50 USD equivalent. No one would accept it and I even stopped at the bank's branch to explain the situation, but of course I was SOL.

Ever since then I do not withdraw cash anymore at ATM's whenever overseas, I just use my credit card for every purchase. I've never had any issues, even in a place like Rio where one would think it's more of a cash friendly environment.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:01 pm

oilrig wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:29 am
Every time I traveled overseas I would stop at a big bank's ATM and withdraw around $100 USD equivalent just to have for various expenses. However, one time in Istanbul I withdrew some money at a big bank's ATM (I believe HSBC), and I unknowingly received a counterfeit bill. I believe it was around $50 USD equivalent. No one would accept it and I even stopped at the bank's branch to explain the situation, but of course I was SOL.

Ever since then I do not withdraw cash anymore at ATM's whenever overseas, I just use my credit card for every purchase. I've never had any issues, even in a place like Rio where one would think it's more of a cash friendly environment.
Well the OP is going to Ireland, and there ARE places that do not take CCs (for example, a lot of the B&Bs there do not).

So we get bills from an ATM when we arrive, and replenish occasionally. We do use plastic whenever possible, and we have a no foreign transaction fee card.

But the OP said they don't travel internationally a lot. AlohaJoe is absolutely right. They should use the card they have (well, they should be traveling with at least two cards, in case one is stolen or lost) and do not worry about the transaction fees. Amount of fees is noise in the overall trip cost.

Now, if the OP has only one credit card, sure, get another with no foreign transaction fee before you go.