Affordable health insurance plan for seniors

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Tenesmus83

Affordable health insurance plan for seniors

Post by Tenesmus83 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:48 pm

Would appreciate some advice. My inlaws recently immigrated to the US as permanent residents. Obviously,
since they have no work history in the US, they will not qualify for medicare. Given their age, I'm try to find
affordable health care plans on the market. Would they qualify for ACA enrollment?

bluquark

Re: Affordable health insurance plan for seniors

Post by bluquark » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:54 pm

Yes, they are eligible for ACA, https://www.healthcare.gov/quick-guide/eligibility/

I don't know if they'll find it "affordable", though. ACA plans are notoriously expensive for slightly-early-retirees (60-64 range) and I suppose they get even more expensive later. You can get quotes for your region and their situation by going through the buy-plan flow on healthcare.gov but stopping short of actually buying a plan.

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:20 pm

Tenesmus83 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:48 pm
Obviously,
since they have no work history in the US, they will not qualify for medicare.
This gets complicated and I don't pretend to understand it but as I recall the way it works is that they do not qualify for premium free medicare part A but they may have the option to buy into Medicare part A for an additional cost if they are 65. They would also need to pay a premium for part B, Part D and they would likely want to get a Medicare supplement too.

Your state should have what is called a SHIP counselor that you can call to get help with figuring out Medicare.

https://www.medicare.gov/contacts/#sear ... %20Program

I don't know that it would address this situation but I found the book "Medicare for Dummies" to be very useful in figuring out our Medicare options and I would highly recommend it despite the title.

If they will be turning 65 soon then it is critical to figure this out right away since there are a lot of critical dates.

MP123

Post by MP123 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:03 pm

They should qualify for ACA health insurance although they may not get a subsidy depending on their circumstances and the state.

I think Watty is correct above about being able to buy into Medicare if they're over 65 and don't have enough US work.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:26 am

bluquark wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:54 pm
I don't know if they'll find it "affordable", though. ACA plans are notoriously expensive for slightly-early-retirees (60-64 range) and I suppose they get even more expensive later.
Not necessarily. It depends on the state. In some states, what you say is accurate. In NY, ACA premiums do not change based on age. Thirty-year-olds and sixty-year-olds face the same premiums for ACA exchange policies in NY.