The exact month to begin receiving Social Security benefits for the maximum.

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Good Listener

The exact month to begin receiving Social Security benefits for the maximum.

Post by Good Listener » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:45 pm

This is a somewhat obsessive question but in a few years I will be starting Social Security when I hit 70. It is not clear to me exactly when maximum benefits are achieved. So if I turn 70 in the month of November, when do I when do I ask to start Social Security benefits when I file, in November or December and when do I receive the first benefit? I want to avoid being too wise and missing the first payment forever or inadvertently starting a month too early. Thank you

mhalley

Re: The exact month to begin receiving Social Security benefits for the maximum.

Post by mhalley » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:05 pm

You can apply up to 4 mos ahead of time. This site gives some tips on making sure you get the most $$$
.If you are filing for your retirement benefit at 70 and don't want to take 6 months of retroactive benefits, which will mean lower monthly payment checks, you might write: "I'm filing for my retirement benefit to begin on my 70th birthday and not a day sooner. I do not want to receive retroactive benefits if receiving such benefits will mean a permanently lower retirement benefit."
https://maximizemysocialsecurity.com/user-tips-faq
When you receive the first payment depends on your birthday.
. Generally, the day of the month you receive your benefit depends on the birth date of the person on whose record you are collecting. If the birthday is between the 1st and the 10th of the month, you will receive your payment on the second Wednesday of the month after that birthday. If the birthday is between the 11th and the 20th, you will receive your payment on the third Wednesday of the following month. Finally, if the birthday is between the 21st and the end of the month, you will receive your payment on the fourth Wednesday of the following month.
https://www.aarp.org/retirement/social- ... t-payment/

ResearchMed

Re: The exact month to begin receiving Social Security benefits for the maximum.

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:18 pm

mhalley wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:05 pm
You can apply up to 4 mos ahead of time. This site gives some tips on making sure you get the most $$$
.If you are filing for your retirement benefit at 70 and don't want to take 6 months of retroactive benefits, which will mean lower monthly payment checks, you might write: "I'm filing for my retirement benefit to begin on my 70th birthday and not a day sooner. I do not want to receive retroactive benefits if receiving such benefits will mean a permanently lower retirement benefit."
https://maximizemysocialsecurity.com/user-tips-faq
. Generally, the day of the month you receive your benefit depends on the birth date of the person on whose record you are collecting. If the birthday is between the 1st and the 10th of the month, you will receive your payment on the second Wednesday of the month after that birthday. If the birthday is between the 11th and the 20th, you will receive your payment on the third Wednesday of the following month. Finally, if the birthday is between the 21st and the end of the month, you will receive your payment on the fourth Wednesday of the following month.
https://www.aarp.org/retirement/social- ... t-payment/
We each spoke with an SS phone rep when we were making changes, such as applying for Spousal, but also when filing for the full "age 70" benefits. They had it set up each time so that we got the max possible, and at the first available month.

We've been quite surprised at the helpfulness of the SS phone reps, on a few occasions.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:12 pm

Good Listener wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:45 pm
So if I turn 70 in the month of November....
As long as your birthday is not Nov. 1st - everything already posted here applies.

There are special rules for people whose birthday falls on the first of a month. You are automatically moved to the previous month instead

Went thru this thing this year - 70th birthday July 1 (SSA says June 30) meaning eligible as of June 1 - filed my application online on March 1st exactly 4 months before benefit checks would start (July)

Everything went just as it should, all DRC's were applied. They just take Forever to notify you the app has been approved (3 months in my case)

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:50 pm

mhalley wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:05 pm

This is only true for people who are filing for benefits for the 1st time, not ones currently receiving either survivor or spousal benefit until they hit 70.

When I switched from survivor to retirement at 70 myself I feared they would switch the date of payment - the 3rd of the month for me.

They didn't! For which I am supremely grateful - Early Is Better, and I Like It Like That As the song goes :P

Topic Author
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:08 pm

I don't care about the date of the payment, just the month. To be clear, my birthday is November 24th. Do I file to begin benefits for November 1 or December 1 for absolute maximum benefits

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:32 pm

Good Listener wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:08 pm
I don't care about the date of the payment, just the month. To be clear, my birthday is November 24th. Do I file to begin benefits for November 1 or December 1 for absolute maximum benefits
from your info- - you will have turned 70 -- after-- Nov 1, so would not have been 70 at that date (although the difference is likely trivial (fraction of a percent))... (so the answer is obvious)

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:40 pm

Good Listener wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:08 pm
You file for benefits to begin November 1 and your first check to arrive in December.
Last edited by Big Dog on Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:42 pm

Big Dog wrote: You file for benefits to begin November 1 and your first check to arrive in December.
Nestegg_User wrote: from your info- - you will have turned 70 -- after-- Nov 1, so would not have been 70 at that date (although the difference is likely trivial (fraction of a percent))... (so the answer is obvious)
These responses seem to contradict each other, which one is correct?

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:55 pm

I do not know the answer, but I understand your desire to know the exactly precise answer.
I’ve had mostly good results going to the local SS office, signing in, waiting to talk to one of the SS reps. My experience was: 70% of the time excellent; 20% of the time “meh” had to explain over and over but they figured it out eventually; 10% dumber than a box of rocks.
ymmv
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:58 pm

Good Listener . . .

With a 70th birthday in November I would take a close look at the rest of my income for that year. Are you doing Roth conversions, trying to lower the balance in your traditional IRA, planning on cashing in some long term capital gains? If any of the above you might consider waiting for a few months and then applying for your benefits retroactively. You have to determine whether moving that SS income to the next year is to your advantage tax wise.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:07 pm

The OP notes that birthday is Nov 24, so they will have obtained 70 on the cusp of Nov 23 (alas, they didn't get one of the "good" days like the first day of the month**)

so maximized bene is starting when they have achieved 70 for the entire month ... which is December.... and (since SS pays in arrears) means that the first check doesn't arrive until January. Talk to your local SS office....they'll confirm

[** if birthday was Nov 1, they achieved 70 on cusp of October 31 and thus was 70 all of Nov so would have started SS on November and received first check in December]
Last edited by Nestegg_User on Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:12 pm

Nestegg_User wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:07 pm
so maximized bene is starting when they have achieved 70 for the entire month ... which is December.... and (since SS pays in arrears) means that the first check doesn't arrive until January. Talk to your local SS office....they'll confirm
So just to clarify, let's say you turn 70 on November 24, 2019 and you want to maximize your social security benefits to begin exactly at age 70, no sooner and no later, then your first payment would arrive in January of 2020?

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:15 pm

yes, SS pays in arrears

(sure do miss SSCRITIC, his posts always gave details like that)

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:17 pm

No, it is not.

DRC's are not applied fractionally; if the OP turns 70 during any day of the month of Nov (other than first) he qualifies for his full (four years, 48 mo of DRC's).

He is eligible for his full age 70 benefit as of the month of Nov, his first payment will be made in Dec.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:18 pm

Nestegg_User wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:15 pm
yes, SS pays in arrears
I understand that SS pays in arrears, but why wouldn't it be the case that the first payment would arrive in December? That would also be in arrears since the applicant turned 70 in November.

Mlm

Post by Mlm » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:22 pm

mptfan wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:18 pm
Nestegg_User wrote:
yes, SS pays in arrears
I understand that SS pays in arrears, but why wouldn't it be the case that the first payment would arrive in December? That would also be in arrears since the applicant turned 70 in November.
Social Security doesn't make partial month payments. You must be 70 for an entire month (December)

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:23 pm

There does not seem to be a consensus here. For someone who turns 70 on November 24, 2019 and wants to receive full benefits as soon as possible, some say the first payment will arrive in December and others say it will arrive in January. Who is correct?
Last edited by mptfan on Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:24 pm

Mlm wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:22 pm

Social Security doesn't make partial month payments. You must be 70 for an entire month (December)
The OP's birthday is Nov 24. Thus, he becomes eligible for full retirement benefit as of that month
As you say, SSA doesnt make partial month payments, nor do they recognize partial month eligibility.

Look it up.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:34 pm

mptfan wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:23 pm
There does not seem to be a consensus here. For someone who turns 70 on November 24, 2019 and wants to receive full benefits as soon as possible, some say the first payment will arrive in December and others say it will arrive in January. Who is correct?
Probably some are thinking the OP may file late and that is why the first check won't come on time. If he files using the 4-month window rule, however, as earlier posts here have advised him to do, he should be alright there (getting his first check in December)

Others may be confused about some sort of "partial month" theory because of when a death occurs, no matter what day of the month, even the 31st of the month, well, whooops, SSA says the executor has to return the check for that month. Yep, the whole month.

It really shouldn't be that difficult to grasp guess we will have to wait for Mike to come in with the final verdict for some to accept. :wink:

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:36 pm

I do not claim to be a social security expert, but it seems intuitively correct that if you turn 70 on November 24 and you wait until you turn 70 to claim your maximum benefit (as often suggested on this forum), and assuming you apply well in advance of your birthday, then your first check should arrive in December.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:37 pm

deleted
Last edited by Nestegg_User on Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:39 pm

mptfan wrote:
In the example above, someone whose born 11/24 and files for full benefits at 70 will be considered 70 in Nov, due benefits in Nov, and first paid the next month in Dec.

What's really confusing is that someone filling for early benefits at age 62 is treated differently. If you turn 62 on Nov 24, you are not entitled to benefits until the following month (Dec), to be paid in January. Not logical, but what do you expect from SS.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:40 pm

mptfan wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:36 pm
I do not claim to be a social security expert, but it seems intuitively correct that if you turn 70 on November 24 and you wait until you turn 70 to claim your maximum benefit (as often suggested on this forum), and assuming you apply well in advance of your birthday, then your first check should arrive in December.
You are 100% correct. Paying in "arrears" means paying one month later, nothing more, nothing less.

mrc

Post by mrc » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:01 pm

It makes the most sense that if you were born on 11/02-11/30 you are deemed to have turned 70 on 11/01, November benefits accrue, and the first payment will arrive in December.

It makes less sense to turn 70, say, on 11/09, wait until the end of November to begin accruing benefits in December and receive payment some time in January.

The former is also how the effective Medicare coverage dates work:
Your coverage starts the first day of the month you turn 65, unless your birthday is on the first day of the month.

If your birthday is on the first day of the month, your coverage starts the first day of the prior month.
This is yet another case where SS and Medicare are linked at the hip.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:01 pm

Peter Foley wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:58 pm
Good Listener . . .

With a 70th birthday in November I would take a close look at the rest of my income for that year. Are you doing Roth conversions, trying to lower the balance in your traditional IRA, planning on cashing in some long term capital gains? If any of the above you might consider waiting for a few months and then applying for your benefits retroactively. You have to determine whether moving that SS income to the next year is to your advantage tax wise.
Now this is interesting.....

Can a person wait until they are age 70 1/2 and then apply for benefits retroactive to the month they turned 70? Would that avoid losing any benefits while shifting the income into a later year?
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

onthecusp

Post by onthecusp » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:20 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:34 pm
mptfan wrote:
Probably some are thinking the OP may file late and that is why the first check won't come on time. If he files using the 4-month window rule, however, as earlier posts here have advised him to do, he should be alright there (getting his first check in December)

Others may be confused about some sort of "partial month" theory because of when a death occurs, no matter what day of the month, even the 31st of the month, well, whooops, SSA says the executor has to return the check for that month. Yep, the whole month.

It really shouldn't be that difficult to grasp guess we will have to wait for Mike to come in with the final verdict for some to accept. :wink:
See Mike's (Oblivious Investor) reply to this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=259042&start=100

This is the clearest answer I found in half an hour of searching and addresses another interesting concern.

onthecusp

Post by onthecusp » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:28 pm

onthecusp wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:20 pm
drawpoker wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:34 pm
mptfan wrote:

See Mike's (Oblivious Investor) reply to this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=259042&start=100

This is the clearest answer I found in half an hour of searching and addresses another interesting concern.
In edit as I reread that it is not quite clear without the context of other readings. Here is Mike's statement:

"Just tell them when you want your benefit to start (e.g., I want my entitlement to retirement benefits to begin in the month I turn 70). In the absence of any such information, the SSA gives you as much as they can immediately (which means a lump sum of up to 6 months for people filing after FRA)."

Other reading tells me that, if you follow his suggestion, the check will arrive about a month later than your actual birthday. SS now schedules checks for the 2nd Wednesday, 3rd Wednesday, and 4th Wednesday depending when in the month your birthday is.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:59 pm

onthecusp wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:28 pm

...."Just tell them when you want your benefit to start (e.g., I want my entitlement to retirement benefits to begin in the month I turn 70). In the absence of any such information, the SSA gives you as much as they can immediately (which means a lump sum of up to 6 months for people filing after FRA)."
Yes, but to be 100% sure they get the point I was advised to add another sentence following that:

"I do not want any benefit amount based on an age earlier than 70"

Seemed to work, as I never got any of those silly phone calls or letters offering me the lump-sum option, as others here have reported in previous threads on the topic.

Since you have been poking around in the archives here maybe you can un-earth the one about how DRC's are applied. Seems like montanagirl (?) had a thread about how altho she had planed to wait until 70, she had to pull the trigger at 69 and half instead.

When her check was less than it was supposed to be she learned all about how DRC's work. :(

Although a worker past FRA accrues their DRC's monthly, SSA does not credit (post) them to that worker's account except once a year. Montanagirl (or whoever it was) was told by SSA that the DRC's that were missing from her check would be posted the following January, and that is when her benefit amount would increase.

Another good reason to wait until the month you turn 70 to start claiming!

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:47 pm

Nestegg_User wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:07 pm
Are you sure about that?

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:49 pm

Mlm wrote:
mptfan wrote:
Nestegg_User wrote:
yes, SS pays in arrears
Are you sure? A consensus seems to be forming that you would get the first payment in December.

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:28 pm

At age 62, when I filed, with a DOB March 20th, I got my first direct deposit the 3rd Wednesday of May. I had to be 62 a complete, entire month first, (April), then I received my first month's benefits that third week, of May.

Thus I was 62 for almost 60 full days prior to getting my first dollar of benefits.

I was at a work convention for the ex-wife, and they had 4-5 financial specialists there, (aka insurance agents). This was 2014 as I recall, and I was not drawing social security yet. I walked up to the group of them during the break and told them I had figured out when the BEST time to begin receiving Social Security. One of the younger guys said oh really, please tell us.

I said "the best time to draw your social security is while you are alive!"

Not a one of them disagreed with me. I have been watching the local paper for years, and it is shocking to see that over 15% of my high school class is deceased. Granted one was a suicide, but that number plus the fact that my maternal family members, many of them seem to depart this good earth in their 70's, is enough motivation to start recovering the funds that I and my employer's have paid in for me for 40+ years. Add on the fact that some of us will slide under the percentage of taxation of SSA benefits by having small pensions, and low expenses in retirement, add to that motivation. Oh if you are looking for a reason to wait, consider my Paternal families genes, my dad celebrated his 99th birthday, and all but two of the siblings lived past 85. Six of the twelve lived past 91.

When no one else can pull the money the boss and I put in, (divorced) I was happy to start early, and STOP working after the Great Recession pulled the rug out from under me. I had already down sized my expenses, and that made the change in income easier.

I would love to see Montana, but watching "A River Runs Through It " is good enough for a retiree on a budget.

As Norman said,....
" Now nearly all those I loved and did not understand when I was young are dead, but I still reach out to them.
Of course, now I am too old to be much of a fisherman, and now of course I usually fish the big waters alone, although some friends think I shouldn't."

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:49 pm

Morgan Dollar 1921 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:28 pm
At age 62, when I filed, with a DOB March 20th, I got my first direct deposit the 3rd Wednesday of May. I had to be 62 a complete, entire month first, (April), then I received my first month's benefits that third week, of May.

Yes, but that is only the case if you file to begin SS at 62. For some obscure reason SS delays benefits an extra month for those who file at 62, as you experienced. However this isn’t the case if you file at 70. See my earlier post above.

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:58 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:49 pm

Yes, but that is only the case if you file to begin SS at 62. For some obscure reason SS delays benefits an extra month for those who file at 62, as you experienced. However this isn’t the case if you file at 70. See my earlier post above.
Indeed, I believe you, but it is of little concern to me, nor do I have any experience with an age 70 application. And that is the very reason I said "At age 62". I see the late filing as a sort of bracket type of drag racing, you dial in your ET, then the lights make you wait your allotted handicapped time, as you watch your competitor accelerating down the strip. I know that those who file later get the option to recoup previous months, I think six months of payments, I have a friend whose health is poor, and he told me he would have to live maybe 6 or 8 years to recover that lump sum. I asked what did you do, John? He said I took the money and ran.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:03 pm

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:58 pm
neilpilot wrote:

Indeed, I believe you, but it is of little concern to me, nor do I have any experience with an age 70 application. And that is the very reason I said "At age 62". I see the late filing as a sort of bracket type of drag racing, you dial in your ET, then the lights make you wait your allotted handicapped time, as you watch your competitor accelerating down the strip. I know that those who file later get the option to recoup previous months, I think six months of payments, I have a friend whose health is poor, and he told me he would have to live maybe 6 or 8 years to recover that lump sum. I asked what did you do, John? He said I took the money and ran.
I could debate the (dis)advantage of filing at 62, FRA, 70 or any age In between. There are dozens of other threads for that, but it’s off topic. My post was to prevent the OP from reading about your experience and thinking it might apply to them.

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:17 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:03 pm
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:58 pm
neilpilot wrote:

I could debate the (dis)advantage of filing at 62, FRA, 70 or any age In between. There are dozens of other threads for that, but it’s off topic. My post was to prevent the OP from reading about your experience and thinking it might apply to them.
I had no intent to create a debate, what is right for one person my be wrong for the other's circumstances. There is one thing no one can debate, when you die you stop receiving benefits. Your spouse or dependent or handicapped children may/will most likely continue to receive benefits, but those of us who have neither, that 40+ years of contributions by my boss and I, vanish.
My post was to inform the OP of the BEST time to draw benefits, while we are alive. IF the OP and others read for comprehension, they can clearly see I am illustrating what happens at age 62, the age at which I have experience. I know not when the bell will toll for me, when I will draw my final breath, as most none of us do. I do know of other co-workers who had a live changing accident or illness, that made them start early or prior to their intended age, but alas those 2 to 7 years of good health are now gone. A time of good health and pleasure with family that can never be recaptured. Yes the return on the monthly increase is attractive, they make it that way to bait the hook to wait. Enjoy your time as you can, regardless your health is your most valuable asset.

supersharpie

Post by supersharpie » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:20 pm

mptfan wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:49 pm
Mlm wrote:
mptfan wrote:
Nestegg_User wrote:
yes, SS pays in arrears
Are you sure? A consensus seems to be forming that you would get the first payment in December.
Take it from someone who knows, you qualify for the max in the month you turn 70. All Social Security benes are paid a month behind so OP will file for a November month of election (MOE) and receive payment in December.

The "throughout the month" provision only applies at 62. If you are born on the 1st or 2nd you meet that requirement. Everyone else needs to wait until a month after they turn 62 with first payment arriving two months after their 62nd birth month.

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:24 pm

supersharpie wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:20 pm
mptfan wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:49 pm
Mlm wrote:
mptfan wrote:
Nestegg_User wrote:
yes, SS pays in arrears
Take it from someone who knows, you qualify for the max in the month you turn 70. All Social Security benes are paid a month behind so OP will file for a November month of election (MOE) and receive payment in December.

The "throughout the month" provision only applies at 62. If you are born on the 1st or 2nd you meet that requirement. Everyone else needs to wait until a month after they turn 62 with first payment arriving two months after their 62nd birth month.
Good answer from a person with experience.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:41 pm

neilpilot wrote:
At age 62, when I filed..........had to be 62 a complete, entire month..........

Yes, but that is only the case if you file to begin SS at 62. For some obscure reason SS delays benefits an extra month for those who file at 62, as you experienced. However this isn’t the case if you file at 70.......
Okay, here is the definitive answer, straight from the SSA Bible, new testament.

Everyone please note - this rule about having a full month applies to all ages below FRA ! Not just age 62, but 63, 64, 65, whatever. At whatever FRA is - not just age 70 - the rule disappears. Poof! Gone

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0300615015

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:44 pm

supersharpie wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:20 pm
The "throughout the month" provision only applies at 62.
No, no, no! Ages 63, 64, 65 too!

Please refer to post above

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:12 am

Per 20 CFR § 404.311.

"When does my entitlement to old-age benefits begin and end?

(a) We will find you entitled to old-age benefits beginning with:

(1) If you have attained full retirement age (as defined in § 404.409), the first month covered by your application in which you meet all requirements for entitlement; or

(2) If you have attained age 62, but have not attained full retirement age (as defined in § 404.409), the first month covered by your application throughout which you meet all requirements for entitlement.

(b) We will find your entitlement to old-age benefits ends with the month before the month you die."

onthecusp

Post by onthecusp » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:06 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:59 pm
onthecusp wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:28 pm

...."Just tell them when you want your benefit to start (e.g., I want my entitlement to retirement benefits to begin in the month I turn 70). In the absence of any such information, the SSA gives you as much as they can immediately (which means a lump sum of up to 6 months for people filing after FRA)."
Yes, but to be 100% sure they get the point I was advised to add another sentence following that:

"I do not want any benefit amount based on an age earlier than 70"

Seemed to work, as I never got any of those silly phone calls or letters offering me the lump-sum option, as others here have reported in previous threads on the topic.

Since you have been poking around in the archives here maybe you can un-earth the one about how DRC's are applied. Seems like montanagirl (?) had a thread about how altho she had planed to wait until 70, she had to pull the trigger at 69 and half instead.

When her check was less than it was supposed to be she learned all about how DRC's work. :(

Although a worker past FRA accrues their DRC's monthly, SSA does not credit (post) them to that worker's account except once a year. Montanagirl (or whoever it was) was told by SSA that the DRC's that were missing from her check would be posted the following January, and that is when her benefit amount would increase.

Another good reason to wait until the month you turn 70 to start claiming!
I think this is the DRC thread you are referencing.

viewtopic.php?t=275588

I had no idea about this, sounds like a mess :shock: Certainly something to keep in mind as my own plan for waiting to 70 is "flexible" in that I could start it earlier if market conditions warrant.

I like the idea of adding the statement specifically saying what I don't want.

Specific wording is so important with SS!

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:35 pm

onthecusp wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:06 pm

viewtopic.php?t=275588

I had no idea about this, sounds like a mess :shock:
Yup, that's the one. Thanks for hauling it up. :D

Yes, most people don't know about this little hidden secret of DRC's if you file before 70.

Just like so many posters here were all fouled up about the difference between filing before FRA and filing at age 70.
It pays to do your research carefully when you start messing with SSA matters, they don't make it easy :annoyed

When you eventually file for retirement online the field for the question of "when do you want benefit to start?" is very limited. Since they just want the date. Further on, toward the end, there is a section for "remarks" which allows much more room to enter characters. That is the place where you would to stick 'em with the wording about "nothing based on an age earlier than 70".

For maximum effect.

Topic Author
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:18 am

drawpoker wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:35 pm
onthecusp wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:06 pm

viewtopic.php?t=275588

I had no idea about this, sounds like a mess :shock:
Yup, that's the one. Thanks for hauling it up. :D

Yes, most people don't know about this little hidden secret of DRC's if you file before 70.

Just like so many posters here were all fouled up about the difference between filing before FRA and filing at age 70.
It pays to do your research carefully when you start messing with SSA matters, they don't make it easy :annoyed

When you eventually file for retirement online the field for the question of "when do you want benefit to start?" is very limited. Since they just want the date. Further on, toward the end, there is a section for "remarks" which allows much more room to enter characters. That is the place where you would to stick 'em with the wording about "nothing based on an age earlier than 70".

For maximum effect.
OP here. Thanks everybody for your great responses.

I had the same thought as you when filing on line, butdo you really think that the computers at social security willread your comments? It sounds like you file to begin benefits the month you hit 70. So in my case where it will be on a November 24th, I just file to begin November. I could write whatever comments I want but I have a feeling that wouldn't matter. Commentary might matter on the phone, but somehow I feel safer with the computer doing it then an employee. That might be wrong.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:59 pm

Good Listener wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:18 am

.....when filing on line, butdo you really think that the computers at social security willread your comments? .... could write whatever comments I want but I have a feeling that wouldn't matter. Commentary might matter on the phone, but somehow I feel safer with the computer doing it then an employee. That might be wrong.
Commentary might matter on the phone, but where's your paper trail if they screw up?

As soon as you finish your online app. , electronically sign, and submit, you print out an exact copy. Of all pages that were submitted. So there can be no question, it is crystal clear when you want benefit to start.

The only real snafu in filing online, instead of the old-fashioned way of going to your local SSA office, as I see it - your app usually ends up in the hands of some distant SSA office for processing. For ex, I live on Atlantic coast, yet my app was sent to Denver CO office. Apparently, with so many budget cutbacks to SSA operations, plus the amazing no. of boomers turning 65 (or 70) these days, they have to try and spread the workload all around all over the country.