Geico subrogation claim

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
StevieG72

Geico subrogation claim

Post by StevieG72 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:19 pm

So thought some folks may find my experience helpful... I was involved in a not at fault accident in June, rear end collision. Fairly minor accident, just a tore up bumper on my SUV other car is likely totaled with extensive front end damage. No injuries.

The at fault party has insurance with Direct General insurance. I did a little research and found them to be a pain to deal with and also it is not uncommon for them to drop their insured and deny the claim.

Accident happened on a Friday afternoon, I made a claim online with Geico on Sunday and scheduled an appointment at a local Xpress service center. Xpress service centers are one stop shops for collision claims, adjuster, bodyshop, and rental car all at one location.

I have a deductible of $1,000 and do not carry rental insurance. I have to pay deductible and rental expenses out of pocket and Geico will attempt to recover from the at fault drivers insurance company. I decided to rent an econobox to keep rental costs low in case I got stuck with rental charges, it was refreshing to drive a car with good gas mileage vs my SUV however the road noise was ridiculous, and it felt like a death trap on the road! Also rental company has a special rate for Geico customers that significantly lowers the rental price to $17.50 per day for the econobox.

Adjuster decided that bumper should be replaced vs. repaired due to compression of the bumpers step pad that could not be repaired. I doubt at fault insurance company would have suggested bumper replacement, their claim process is to send in pictures and video for damage review.

Drop car off on Tuesday morning, work is complete Friday. Pay deductible and rental and I am on my way.

Fast forward a few weeks and I get a call from Geico stating that Direct General has denied the claim. The policy was either not in place at time of accident, or they dropped the insured. ( they do the latter frequently) <---- i know this doesn't sound legal but apparently it is, for example if the insured has someone living at the same address not listed on the policy they can deny the claim and drop the policy.

Geico will pay claim with zero deductible under uninsured motorists coverage.

So if I chose to initially proceed with Direct General, I likely would of jumped through some hoops just to be back to square one and dealing with Geico. In addition, I was a bit surprised that I would have to pay deductible and rental fees since it was a not at fault accident. If I had rental coverage with Geico that would have been paid upfront.

This is my first not at fault accident that I decided to let my insurance company handle. Overall I am pleased, vehicle repaired quickly without too much aggravation.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

LISD

Re: Geico subrogation claim

Post by LISD » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:45 pm

If you want to add a CDW (collision deductible waiver) to your policy, Geico will pay the deductible if the 'At Fault' party has no insurance.

If you have CDW, your policy statement will say 'WAIVER' on it.

The State allows drivers to drive without insurance, and we (responsible citizens) are expected to pay additional insurance to makeup for the fact that the State is not doing their job - making sure everyone has insurance. It seems to me that a class-action lawsuit should be filed against the state to force them to pay for all uninsured motorist damage . Maybe then the States would take their responsibility seriously. In a country full of Lawyers, I'm surprised this hasn't already happened. Of course the Insurance companies wouldn't be interested in filing lawsuits because Uninsured Motorist Coverage is a money-maker for them.(Rant Over)

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:17 pm

I would just let GEICO pay your claim from uninsured motorists and they can try and recover from the other party. You can also sue in small claims for the rental costs if GEICO doesnt reimburse you for that as well...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:22 pm

This scenario is why those who advise not to tell your own insurance company are so misguided.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:53 pm

TropikThunder wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:22 pm
This scenario is why those who advise not to tell your own insurance company are so misguided.
What do you mean?

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:22 pm

We've always filed with our insurance company.

Why should I waste time with the at-fault driver's insurance company? Let the people at my insurance company earn their pay doing that.

Being out of pocket for a few months until your insurance company gets the deductible and rental car expenses back shouldn't be an issue.

SovereignInvestor

Post by SovereignInvestor » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:59 pm

LISD wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:45 pm
If you want to add a CDW (collision deductible waiver) to your policy, Geico will pay the deductible if the 'At Fault' party has no insurance.

If you have CDW, your policy statement will say 'WAIVER' on it.

The State allows drivers to drive without insurance, and we (responsible citizens) are expected to pay additional insurance to makeup for the fact that the State is not doing their job - making sure everyone has insurance. It seems to me that a class-action lawsuit should be filed against the state to force them to pay for all uninsured motorist damage . Maybe then the States would take their responsibility seriously. In a country full of Lawyers, I'm surprised this hasn't already happened. Of course the Insurance companies wouldn't be interested in filing lawsuits because Uninsured Motorist Coverage is a money-maker for them.(Rant Over)
Isn't it illegal in virtually every state to drive without insurance unless one posts a bond for minimum financial responsibility limits?

Enforcement is the issue, many will do it anyway. Just as larceny is illegal and it still happens.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:14 pm

TropikThunder wrote:
I agree. My minor accident experience:

Was sitting at a red light and was clipped by a car trying to get into the left lane. Filed a claim with my company (Progressive) and got the vehicle fixed, total cost of repairs ~$1700. I had to pay the deductible ($500) when I picked up my car from the body shop.

Exactly a month later their company (Farmer's) admits responsibility; Progressive mails me a check for my deductible about 3 weeks after that.

Just the other day I was on the Progressive website and noticed the claim was still open so I messaged the adjuster to ask why. He replied that the claim was in arbitration over the cost of the repairs. This means to me that Farmer's thinks Progressive allowed too much for the repair and wants to pay less.

Had I not filed a claim with my company and instead pursued it directly with the other company (Farmer's) I can see now that they would have tried to lowball me on the price of the repairs and probably been a general pain to deal with.

BluesH

Post by BluesH » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:34 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:17 pm
I would just let GEICO pay your claim from uninsured motorists and they can try and recover from the other party. You can also sue in small claims for the rental costs if GEICO doesnt reimburse you for that as well...
Totally agree. FYI, I had the same claim (rear-ended on freeway) with GEICO earlier this year. The procedure, assuming the other party has valid insurance, is that yes, you have to pay the deductible up front, and GEICO picks up the rest. However, assuming GEICO is successful in subrogation of the claim to the other company, they then reimburse you for the deductible. If they had expenses that weren't covered by the other company, they take those out first, leading to a reduced reimbursement. In my case, despite the fact that the other party had an insurance company I had never heard of, I got 100% reimbursed for the deductible. Took 2 or 3 months, though.

ETA - oh, and the other company at first disputed the amount of claim, saying that some of the repairs were excessive. That's why it took a few months. But eventually GEICO prevailed, which is why I got 100% reimbursed.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:59 pm

travellight wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:53 pm
TropikThunder wrote:
What do you mean?
There are frequent threads on here where someone is in a not at fault accident, asking if they should tell their insurance company. Without fail, someone will say they never tell their insurance company, they always go through the other person‘s insurance. And someone else says well why do you have insurance if you’re not going to use it etc etc.

boglerdude

Post by boglerdude » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:55 am

If not at fault, but your insurance gives you a check either through your collision coverage or uninsured motorist, will they raise rates to get the money back? Any laws about it or can they do whatever they want. I suppose if they raise, you shop around and hopefully some other ins co wont penalize for having not-at-fault on your CLUE report?

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:24 am

travellight wrote:
TropikThunder wrote:
What do you mean?
It is clear that informing your own Insurance Company is always the best choice.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:25 am

boglerdude wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:55 am
If not at fault, but your insurance gives you a check either through your collision coverage or uninsured motorist, will they raise rates to get the money back? Any laws about it or can they do whatever they want. I suppose if they raise, you shop around and hopefully some other ins co wont penalize for having not-at-fault on your CLUE report?
Just make sure the guy that hits you has Insurance, and only buy stocks that are going to go up!!!

:sharebeer
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:03 am

TropikThunder wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:59 pm
travellight wrote:
TropikThunder wrote:
What do you mean?
There are frequent threads on here where someone is in a not at fault accident, asking if they should tell their insurance company. Without fail, someone will say they never tell their insurance company, they always go through the other person‘s insurance. And someone else says well why do you have insurance if you’re not going to use it etc etc.
What's more, most insurance companies have a clause in your policy stating that they can drop you if you don't notify them of an accident that you were involved in.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:25 am

dwickenh wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:24 am
travellight wrote:
TropikThunder wrote:
What do you mean?
It is clear that informing your own Insurance Company is always the best choice.
I would caveat this with the following... If you do not have full coverage on your own vehicle your insurance company will tell you to file a claim with the other parties insurance carrier. Even with full coverage your insurance company may suggest filing with the other party to avoid a claim on your own policy / CLUE report.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:10 am

While I am glad it worked out for the OP, I have had numerous success stories equally successful filing a claim with the other parties insurance. '

I am impressed that his uninsured motorist coverage has a $0 deductible for damage caused by an uninsured driver.

OP: You were rear ended. How much did your insurance company pay you for your bodily injuries? I was rear ended and had a stiff back for a day or two, and I received a $700 check for compensation for my injuries. Yes, I told the other parties insurance that my back was stiff for a day or so and I had no plans to see a doctor.

Also, how much did you collect from diminished value, since your vehicle is worth less now that it has been in an accident? Last time I was in an accident, I collected $2500 diminished value from the other driver's insurance for diminished value.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:15 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:25 am
dwickenh wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:24 am
travellight wrote:
TropikThunder wrote:
What do you mean?
I would caveat this with the following... If you do not have full coverage on your own vehicle your insurance company will tell you to file a claim with the other parties insurance carrier. Even with full coverage your insurance company may suggest filing with the other party to avoid a claim on your own policy / CLUE report.
Informing does not mean filing a claim. It does mean making sure your Insurance company is aware that a possible claim has occurred.