No A/C in Office [not a safe work environment]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Thegame14

No A/C in Office [not a safe work environment]

Post by Thegame14 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:08 am

Work AC broke two days ago, it is 90 degrees outside and probably hotter in the building, since we have no breeze or airflow. The boss refuses to close the office, even thought the other 4 floors every company is not working. Company is small and has no HR, at what point is this not a safe work environment, but what can I do, he is the boss and no HR, but if I pass out, surely I am suing the company for failure to provide a safe work environment.

He could at least have offered to buy ice pops or purchase a portable AC unit for the office

Sandtrap

Re: No A/C in Office

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:09 am

Sick leave?
Time off?
Vacation days?
. . . ?
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:12 am

90 degrees outside with no AC must be really uncomfortable, but I cannot imagine it rises to the level of actionable unsafe work environment.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:14 am

Thegame14 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:08 am
Work AC broke two days ago, it is 90 degrees outside and probably hotter in the building, since we have no breeze or airflow. The boss refuses to close the office, even thought the other 4 floors every company is not working. Company is small and has no HR, at what point is this not a safe work environment, but what can I do, he is the boss and no HR, but if I pass out, surely I am suing the company for failure to provide a safe work environment.

He could at least have offered to buy ice pops or purchase a portable AC unit for the office
I believe you will find that OSHA has a temperature limit on the cold side but not on the hot side.
I believe the only places where heat is regulated indoors is in manufacturing where the process generates heat (think steel production)

"surely I am suing the company for failure to provide a safe work environment."
You could consult an attorney now ahead of any event but the odds of anyone reasonably taking a case like this is remote.

Instead consider an actionable item:
- Get another more suitable job.
In many various posts you have listed numerous complaints about this job, use positive energy and replace it ASAP.

Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:15 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:09 am
Sick leave?
Time off?
Vacation days?
. . . ?
Boss said if you are uncomfortable take a vacation day, but only if you don't have deadlines today, of course I have a major deadline today, so I cannot take off.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:18 am

This thread has run its course and is locked (not actionable, general rant). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Update: See below.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: No A/C in Office [not a safe work environment]

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:56 pm

After notifying the moderators, this thread is actionable to discuss a (possible) unsafe work environment. This thread is now unlocked to continue the discussion.

I retitled the thread and moved it to the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (career guidance).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:06 pm

Chicago60 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:12 am
90 degrees outside with no AC must be really uncomfortable, but I cannot imagine it rises to the level of actionable unsafe work environment.
90 degrees outside is probably more inside.

There was a case of Amazon(?) warehouse workers dying from heat. I don't know how hot it was.

Are there fans and windows? Lots of water?

Do you have a medical condition that would make that environment dangerous that you could get a doctor's note from?

Honestly it sounds like an awful place to work with an unempathetic boss.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:17 pm

I don't know. In Phoenix there are city and state workers and contractors repairing roads and building a freeway. Utility workers maintaining and repairing power lines, HVAC technicians on roofs repairing A/C equipment. All of them in the direct sun when it is 115F.

As part of my job I visit businesses where it can sometimes be 90F to 100F in indoor portions of the businesses and have to be right alongside their workers for the time I am there.

Not exactly pleasant but we all survive.

cs412a

Post by cs412a » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:26 pm

OP, do you know what the indoor temperature is? How are your co-workers coping with the situation? Are you able to bring fans to the office? I use a Vornado circulating fan ($30 at Costco) at home, and it does seem to reduce the perceived temperature by about 5 degrees. In any case, make sure you stay hydrated.

You might be interested in the following links:

https://www.workingamerica.org/fixmyjob ... mperatures

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2011-174 ... 11-174.pdf

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:35 pm

So the boss does not want to shut down because of a temporary condition where it is hot. And we are even discussing that this is a safety condition. A lot of factories are not air conditioned and employees have fans. Bring a fan and be thankful you don't have a HR department. Or quit.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:43 pm

I don't have any good suggestions but you might get an inexpensive thermometer to put in the office to quantify just how hot it is getting and take pictures of it with your cell phone.

That could be important if someone has any health problems related to the heat.

plog

Post by plog » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:45 pm

I'll try my best to suppress my opinion of your issue with this issue (although it's going to seep through) and focus on your question
but what can I do
1. Quit.
2. Take a vacation day.
3. Suck it up.
4. Organize your co-workers and walk out.

That's it. Choose one. Additional advice: whichever one you do, do so in a non-whiny, non-bitter way.

jibantik

Post by jibantik » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:47 pm

Just start de-layering. At a certain point I am sure you will be permitted to go home :D

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:48 pm

bengal22 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:35 pm
So the boss does not want to shut down because of a temporary condition where it is hot. And we are even discussing that this is a safety condition. A lot of factories are not air conditioned and employees have fans. Bring a fan and be thankful you don't have a HR department. Or quit.
OP talks about their job as if it is indentured servitude in half their posts.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:55 pm

I think how you can react to this (and the outcomes of those reactions) depends on how much credibility you have built up in your current position. If you are a good employee, you can just say that you are working from home and to call you when the a/c comes back on and you will come back in. If you are not a good employee, you can try that but be prepared to have your bluff called. I’ve built up enough goodwill that if it were 90 in the office, I’d just say I am not going to work in these conditions but I’ll be on Slack, e-mail, and my cell phone and will be working at home until the office climate control is more reasonable.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:00 pm

smitcat wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:14 am
Thegame14 wrote:

I believe you will find that OSHA has a temperature limit on the cold side but not on the hot side.
I believe the only places where heat is regulated indoors is in manufacturing where the process generates heat (think steel production)

"surely I am suing the company for failure to provide a safe work environment."
You could consult an attorney now ahead of any event but the odds of anyone reasonably taking a case like this is remote.

Instead consider an actionable item:
- Get another more suitable job.
In many various posts you have listed numerous complaints about this job, use positive energy and replace it ASAP.

This is what is written on the OSHA and SHERM sites about workplace temperatures....

Not necessarily. There is no requirement for employers to maintain a certain workplace temperature under federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations, nor are there specific OSHA standards for occupational heat exposure. However, under the General Duty Clause, section 5(a)(1) of the Occupational Safety and Health Act, employers are required to provide their employees with a place of employment that "is free from recognizable hazards that are causing or likely to cause death or serious harm to employees."
Employers can reduce the risk of heat-related illnesses to employees exposed to hot indoor environments such as factories, boiler rooms, commercial kitchens, laundries, food canneries, chemical plants, etc., by implementing engineering controls that make the work environment cooler, such as air conditioning and ventilation, and work practices such as instituting work/rest cycles, drinking water often and providing an opportunity for workers to build up a level of tolerance to working in the heat. See Occupational Heat Exposure.

mikemagz11

Post by mikemagz11 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:03 pm

Work from home until it's fixed?

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:10 pm

No AC? Miserable, but isn't this the way people used to work before the invention and a wide spread use of AC?

DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:18 pm

My two cents:

1) unless you have some certifiable heart condition or similar, going to be hard to find a clear case for working from home
2) despite #1 buy thermometer and record temps, just in case you eventually do need to escalate having more data will help
3) can you convince office building and or your company to buy portable air conditioners? Not talking $30 Vornado but something that's a couple hundred bucks from home depot. Just an example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/JHS-10-000 ... gI7W_D_BwE

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:19 pm

There is some key information lacking here.

The A/C broke, yes, but has the boss made good faith efforts to repair/replace?

Has a qualified HVAC technician been called in to diagnose problem? Are there some special parts that had to be ordered, and that is why the system cannot be fixed right away? Is the whole system a goner, and a new unit has to be shipped from some distance?

Is this office in a bldg where the windows cannot be opened?

All of these things need to be considered before making any snap judgments.

Coburn

Post by Coburn » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:22 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:48 pm
bengal22 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:35 pm
OP talks about their job as if it is indentured servitude in half their posts.
Perhaps the pay is good despite the heat? :twisted:

A thought, anyway...

I don't believe 90 degrees constitutes "Unsafe work environment", but I readily admit that I'm no expert on the subject.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:33 pm

I've got asthma, and something like that would cause me real problems. And that's a potential ADA violation.

Not sure if you or a coworker falls into that category, but if so, this could be a real problem for the company.

I used to be a manager, and we took this stuff seriously.

Your manager sounds like a dufus. At a bare minimum, they should be concerned about you and your coworkers attitude long before health effects become a concern.

Not a good situation at all.

In the meantime, I'd show up in shorts, tanktop, and flip flops, with one of those little fan and mist bottle things.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:37 pm

I’ll make a snap judgement. Find a new job. There’s plenty of them around. This doesn’t sound like a great place to work.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:42 pm

JonnyDVM wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:37 pm
I’ll make a snap judgement. Find a new job. There’s plenty of them around. This doesn’t sound like a great place to work.
:thumbsup
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:47 pm

If it's 90 degrees and there is live exposed electrical greater than 50 volts and vicious ungarded mechanical motion, it is an unsafe work environment.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:58 pm

Thegame14 wrote:

I would work remote until the A/C is fixed. Best of luck.

MJD

Post by MJD » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:58 pm

Go work in a mill where some areas are over 130 degrees and see how much you have to complain about. Some people do 12 hour shifts around that. Better yet, throw on some body armor and do a tour in the middle east. Things could be a lot worse.

To make this actionable, take matters into your own hands. Find a new job, or confront the problem head on and speak directly to your boss. Situations like this demand directness.

scubadiver

Post by scubadiver » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:02 pm

Any chance your boss might allow you to work from home until the A/C is repaired?

drk

Post by drk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:11 pm

I don't know enough about your job or location to offer specific advice, but you might consider calling OSHA or your state's department of labor to see what they think.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:14 pm

bhsince87 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:33 pm
In the meantime, I'd show up in shorts, tanktop, and flip flops, with one of those little fan and mist bottle things.
or come in wearing a speedo and see how quickly things get corrected :shock:
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:39 pm

MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:10 pm
No AC? Miserable, but isn't this the way people used to work before the invention and a wide spread use of AC?
Well yes, but buildings today are not designed to operate without hvac (often no opening windows, etc.)

Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:49 pm

bhsince87 wrote:
I've got asthma, and something like that would cause me real problems. And that's a potential ADA violation.

Not sure if you or a coworker falls into that category, but if so, this could be a real problem for the company.

Your manager sounds like a dufus. At a bare minimum, they should be concerned about you and your coworkers attitude long before health effects become a concern.

yes I have asthma

Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:53 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:39 pm
MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Well yes, but buildings today are not designed to operate without hvac (often no opening windows, etc.)
we are on the 5th floor and windows do NOT open

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:55 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:39 pm
MathIsMyWayr wrote:
In addition, heat rises, so the top floors get very hot. Back in the old days, no buildings were tens of stories high.

I would get rashes all over my body if I was in that environment for hours especially if it was humid.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:01 am

Thegame14 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:49 pm
bhsince87 wrote:

yes I have asthma
I feel your pain! :(

You might have an Americans With Disabilities Act claim. Your employer must make accommodations to ensure you can function.

Of course, then the big question is, how much do you want to push it?
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:14 am

MJD wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:58 pm
Go work in a mill where some areas are over 130 degrees and see how much you have to complain about. Some people do 12 hour shifts around that. Better yet, throw on some body armor and do a tour in the middle east. Things could be a lot worse.

To make this actionable, take matters into your own hands. Find a new job, or confront the problem head on and speak directly to your boss. Situations like this demand directness.
For sure! Being in a steel mill or a float glass plant come to mind----if not a pulp & paper mill, where it is not only hot, but the humidity is running @ 95%+.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:30 am

I can see your point. Not real fun to be hot at work, but please don't bring in the ADA aspect. So, so overused nowadays. Beyond reasonable.

FireProof

Post by FireProof » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:45 am

MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Current settlement patterns and building architecture are both predicated on the existence of air conditioning. Nobody would live in places like Phoenix without air conditioning, and in places like Morocco and the south of Spain, streets are narrow and shady, and buildings are organized around cooling inner patios, plus people didn't work straight through the middle of the day. It's true people put up with a lot regardless, but it's cold (or hot?) comfort to compare oneself to a time when most people were a despised underclass, toiling in miserable conditions until the blessed release of an early death.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:19 am

Can you wear shorts to work during this time stretch?

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:27 am

bhsince87 wrote:

I'm an older person, and I start to feel seriously unwell when it gets into the 80s. When I worked at MegaEducationalInstitution, they shut down and sent us home when it got to be 90 degrees inside.

Seriously, I would look for another job, even if this situation passes soon. I haven't read your other threads but I gather from other comments that it's the job from hell.

What's taking so long to fix the AC?

Also note that the suck it up people are ignoring as others have noted that today's buildings are not designed for air flow, etc. and people used to die like flies or have much shorter life spans under the unsafe working conditions they are saying were acceptable.

fposte

Post by fposte » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:39 am

bhsince87 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:01 am

You might have an Americans With Disabilities Act claim. Your employer must make accommodations to ensure you can function.
The employer doesn't have to make accommodations to ensure employees can function; they just have to make reasonable accommodations, and "reasonable" doesn't necessarily mean "what the vox populi think is reasonable." Sometimes the reasonable accommodations still aren't enough to ensure an employee can function. It would also need to be a big enough company for the ADA to apply (15 employees for federal).

Still, probably most companies would just send him home even if it wasn't a job one can do remotely, since this seems likely to be very short term.

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:55 am

Sconie wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:14 am
MJD wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:58 pm

For sure! Being in a steel mill or a float glass plant come to mind----if not a pulp & paper mill, where it is not only hot, but the humidity is running @ 95%+.
I am sure it is uncomfortable in the office. I retired from factory work on an assembly line in a non/ac plant, the heat and humidity was intense during the summer. Fans didn't do anything but blow hot air. We used to joke about seeing small thunderstorms forming inside, the air was so thick you could see the haze in the air. OSHA never once shut us down.
Sounds like looking for a new job is the best bet.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:36 am

Well this is timely:

Rep. Raúl Grijalva seeks limits on heat exposure while on the job
"Troubled by the 2004 heat-related death of a New Mexico farmworker, Rep. Raúl Grijalva is introducing a bill Wednesday that would require the federal government to set workplace rules on heat exposure and treating employees who may have endured too much."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/po ... 2907177002

The fact that a Congressman introduced a bill to have the Federal Government create heat exposure rules implies that none currently exist (at least at the Federal level).

queso

Post by queso » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:18 pm

Inundate him/her with data until he/she capitulates. I had a software development manager that did that to me. He sent me an infographic that he made about office temperatures and the average temperature in Cameroon as well as a bunch of calculations about how many BTUs a human body produces, the square footage of his office and the BTU output of all his equipment, etc. He did that for a few days so I gave up and moved him to a new office. :happy

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:21 pm

Just call in sick.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:31 pm

stop wearing deodorant and sit next to the boss for afternoon meetings.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:36 pm

In seeing some of the new info provided by the OP ---

It seems this is a small company, occupying one floor of leased space in a large office bldg five floors high.

Ideally, when the A/C first went out, the landlord (rental management co.), upon being notified, and finding repairs could not be done same day, should have issued a directive that the entire bldg (or all floors affected by the outage) was being closed, and the tenants would be notified when they could return.

Had this been done, the OP's boss would have been effectively shut out of his clumsy handling of the problem.

Perhaps the OP lives in an urban area, where there is a city/and or/county office of building inspection/enforcement that addresses just this sort of problem in commercial leased space? If it still hasn't been fixed, perhaps a call to the city could elicit an order for the bldg to close temporarily. ????

badger42

Post by badger42 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:07 pm

So, assuming your boss is a semi-reasonable human:

"We have some really important deadlines to hit, and the lack of A/C makes it hard to get work done due to a health condition. Would it be alright if I worked from home for a couple of days, to make sure we hit our deadlines? I'll be available via (whatever normal electronic tools your company uses) and check in regularly."

This way you're tying the accommodation to hitting business goals, instead of your own comfort. This of course does assume you can work remotely and still get things done.

If your boss shoots down this approach, agreed, time to take a vacation day and polish up your resume. If they aren't reasonable about this what else will they be unreasonable about?

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:25 pm

OP - you consistently make comments in your posts regarding the poor state of your work environment. (That it's a 'grind' 'chained to your desk' and so on).

I can only encourage you with the information that there are better options out there, and that the current job market is strong enough that now, not later, is time to get out and find an employer that treats you like a human being. They exist. :beer