Homeowner's dilemma

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
1year23

Homeowner's dilemma

Post by 1year23 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:22 pm

I'm not sure how to handle this so I thought I'd ask the opinion of my respected Bogleheads. Last week we unfortunately had to have a large oak tree removed from our backyard. As sad as we were, the tree had to come down for safety reasons. It took 2 full days for 8 guys to remove it down basically to the ground. There was a lot of throwing down to the ground of huge heavy pieces of trunk and now, today, the gardener shows me 3 broken pipes under the dirt where I am guessing the force of that wood caused the pipes to break. I don't know what the repair charge will be yet, but do I present the bill to the tree man? I was happy with their service (though it cost $6000) and I want to do the right thing. Opinions?

jebmke

Re: Homeowner's dilemma

Post by jebmke » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:27 pm

I would start by informing the tree service of the damage. We had a tree service that accidentally cut one phase of our electric power when they were removing a stump. They acknowledge the error and they paid the utility company directly to restore the line.

If they are a reputable tree service, they are insured. They may elect to cover the cost of repairs rather than file a claim.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

prudent

Post by prudent » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:28 pm

Did they know there were underground pipes where they were working?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:29 pm

If pipes are from a lawn watering system, then you should just repair them yourself for less than $50 worth of parts.

If you did not tell tree service locations of pipes, I don't think you can get ask them for anything legitimately, but you can certainly ask them for $500 off.

Don't let somebody rip you off on this simple repair if these are PVC pipes.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:33 pm

jebmke wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:27 pm
I would start by informing the tree service of the damage. We had a tree service that accidentally cut one phase of our electric power when they were removing a stump. They acknowledge the error and they paid the utility company directly to restore the line.

If they are a reputable tree service, they are insured. They may elect to cover the cost of repairs rather than file a claim.
+1
OTOH if these are irrigation lines that are shallow but unseen, a case can be made that there was no way of knowing they were there.

I have had a number of sizeable trees taken down and the impact of the descending logs is tremendous. I have seen many companies lower nearly ever piece to the ground with ropes and pulleys in areas where the lawns were pristine.

It's possible that the tree service might send some folks over to fix the pipes as well and that would be nice.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:33 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:29 pm
If pipes are from a lawn watering system, then you should just repair them yourself for less than $50 worth of parts.

If you did not tell tree service locations of pipes, I don't think you can get ask them for anything legitimately, but you can certainly ask them for $500 off.

Don't let somebody rip you off on this simple repair if these are PVC pipes.
+1
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

6Pack

Post by 6Pack » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:29 pm

Are you on a septic? If so, those repairs would be very costly. However, you need to figure out what kind of pipes your talking about. Irrigation pipes are easy to repair. A septic drain field I will require permits and a whole lot of work.