80-100k boat purchase??

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
TarHeel2002
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:14 pm

80-100k boat purchase??

Post by TarHeel2002 »

We live on the lake. We currently have a 20 year old ski boat that still gets the job done (tubing, skiing, etc)..

Thinking of upgrading to a newer (not brand new) boat with less hours, better interior, few more creature comforts...to do essentially the same thing as the 20 year old boat. Looking at 50-60k range...this boat would probably last us 10+ years and be a lot of fun for the family/memories on the water etc.

Married 39 yo with 3 kids (8,6,0)

Annual income 260k
Total retirement savings = 663k
Emergency fund = 35k
529 savings = 86k

Annual 529 savings = 18k
Annual retirement savings = 50k (I've been saving an additional 3k/month in taxable)

Home mortgage 149k @ 3.125% ($750 month payment)
Rental mortgage for business/building I own 180k @ 4.75% (1616/month payment)

I could probably get 8-10k for the 20 year old boat on trade in or trying to sell in myself. I'm thinking I could save another 40k by next summer without affecting retirement or 529 contributions. That would result in me being able to pay cash or close to it for next summer. We're fine with the old boat this summer. Certainly not a need and it would temporarily stop the 3k/month taxable contributions for about a year but definitely something I've been contemplating for awhile. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks. :beer
Last edited by TarHeel2002 on Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
BanquetBeer
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:57 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by BanquetBeer »

You spend about $200k/yr (outside of 529/retirement savings) meaning using 4% SWR you would need 5million when you retire by 65?

Are you on track to meet that goal?
bloom2708
Posts: 8849
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by bloom2708 »

I'm on the "pay cash for toys" bandwagon.

Doesn't seem like that is an option. Suze Orman...denied.... :wink:
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
SQRT
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:44 am

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by SQRT »

Agree you should pay cash for toys or luxuries. Certainly agree that you could use a new boat though.
Olemiss540
Posts: 1706
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:46 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by Olemiss540 »

bloom2708 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:42 pm I'm on the "pay cash for toys" bandwagon.

Doesn't seem like that is an option. Suze Orman...denied.... :wink:
Sounds like the OP wants to save cash and buy the boat next year when they have the money$$$$.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.
bubbadog
Posts: 1002
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:17 pm
Location: Cincinnati,Ohio

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by bubbadog »

SQRT wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:50 pm Agree you should pay cash for toys or luxuries. Certainly agree that you could use a new boat though.
I think he is planning on paying cash.

He is doing great financially.

Life it about balance.

If a new boat would bring a lot of enjoyment for his family, I vote go for it!

OP, good luck with your decision.
bloom2708
Posts: 8849
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by bloom2708 »

Olemiss540 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:03 pm
bloom2708 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:42 pm I'm on the "pay cash for toys" bandwagon.

Doesn't seem like that is an option. Suze Orman...denied.... :wink:
Sounds like the OP wants to save cash and buy the boat next year when they have the money$$$$.
Approved. :o
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
blackholescion
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:41 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by blackholescion »

BanquetBeer wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:40 pm You spend about $200k/yr (outside of 529/retirement savings) meaning using 4% SWR you would need 5million when you retire by 65?

Are you on track to meet that goal?
What? 260k -taxes -50k retirement -18k 529 =~ 130k. OP won’t have child care expenses, mortgage, etc on top of this.
BruDude
Posts: 3760
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:28 am
Location: Las Vegas

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by BruDude »

Two best days in a man’s life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat...
Bill McNeal
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by Bill McNeal »

It actually stands for “Bring Out Another Thousand”
livesoft
Posts: 77559
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by livesoft »

Of course you should buy the boat and a few more as well.

Full disclosure: My relatives are part owners of a boat company.

I don't understand why you would stop taxable contributions for the next year. All you have to do is keep the contributions up and just sell shares when you need the cash to buy the boats. (Yes, you have my permission to buy multiple boats!)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
User avatar
Time2Quit
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:47 am
Location: Fridgid State

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by Time2Quit »

If your are paying cash go for it, but if it were me and the boat cost is almost 10% of my retirement, I would invest the money and continue with your old boat. A new transmission and repower for you lf boat can be done for $6k to 8k.

How many hours on your old ski boat?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor." --Seneca
Jack FFR1846
Posts: 13993
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am
Location: 26 miles, 385 yards west of Copley Square

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Time2Quit wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:16 pm A new transmission and repower for you lf boat can be done for $6k to 8k.
BINGO! You're trading same for same at a potential cost to you of $50k. Use it this season, get it thoroughly checked over the winter and replace what needs replacing. Having looked extensively at boats and around boatyards years ago when looking for a boat, I found that if you pull the engine/drive out, the rest of the boat is worth zero.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
smitcat
Posts: 8243
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by smitcat »

bubbadog wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:05 pm
SQRT wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:50 pm Agree you should pay cash for toys or luxuries. Certainly agree that you could use a new boat though.
I think he is planning on paying cash.

He is doing great financially.

Life it about balance.

If a new boat would bring a lot of enjoyment for his family, I vote go for it!

OP, good luck with your decision.
I agree...
smitcat
Posts: 8243
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by smitcat »

BruDude wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:10 pm Two best days in a man’s life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat...
Sorry you did not like boating - for us it is a great opportunity and pastime with irreplaceable memories.
7eight9
Posts: 1956
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by 7eight9 »

I would say buy it. You certainly can afford it. And if/when you no longer want it there will likely be some residual value that can be realized.
Life is short and the grave is deep.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
quantAndHold
Posts: 6344
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by quantAndHold »

Assuming your job is stable, you can pay cash, and you’re planning on continuing to live on the lake, it seems perfectly reasonable to me. I would do the same. If I actually liked boats. Or lakes.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
User avatar
Watty
Posts: 23389
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by Watty »

As long as you can pay cash for it I don't see any problem with it.

My only concern would be that you might also need an expensive bigger truck to tow it with so be sure to figure that out in your plans.
ImUrHuckleberry
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:44 am

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by ImUrHuckleberry »

Watty wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:43 pm As long as you can pay cash for it I don't see any problem with it.

My only concern would be that you might also need an expensive bigger truck to tow it with so be sure to figure that out in your plans.
He lives on a lake. I'm guessing he doesn't tow it anywhere.
User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 13943
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by Sandtrap »

bloom2708 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:08 pm
Olemiss540 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:03 pm
bloom2708 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:42 pm I'm on the "pay cash for toys" bandwagon.

Doesn't seem like that is an option. Suze Orman...denied.... :wink:
Sounds like the OP wants to save cash and buy the boat next year when they have the money$$$$.
Approved. :o
+1
What kind of boat??
What size??
SeaRay?
Boston Whaler?
Four Winns?

j :D
Image
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
TarHeel2002
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:14 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by TarHeel2002 »

User avatar
TxAg
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:09 am

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by TxAg »

$60k seems steep to me
blastoff
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:04 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by blastoff »

TarHeel2002 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:35 pm We live on the lake. We currently have a 20 year old ski boat that still gets the job done (tubing, skiing, etc)..

Thinking of upgrading to a newer (not brand new) boat with less hours, better interior, few more creature comforts...to do essentially the same thing as the 20 year old boat. Looking at 50-60k range...this boat would probably last us 10+ years and be a lot of fun for the family/memories on the water etc.

Married 39 yo with 3 kids (8,6,0)

Annual income 260k
Total retirement savings = 663k
Emergency fund = 35k
529 savings = 86k

Annual 529 savings = 18k
Annual retirement savings = 50k (I've been saving an additional 3k/month in taxable the last few months)

Home mortgage 149k @ 3.125% ($750 month payment)
Rental mortgage for business/building I own 180k @ 4.75% (1616/month payment)

I could probably get 8-10k for the 20 year old boat on trade in or trying to sell in myself. I'm thinking I could save another 40k by next summer without affecting retirement or 529 contributions. That would result in me being able to pay cash or close to it for next summer. We're fine with the old boat this summer. Certainly not a need and it would temporarily stop the 3k/month taxable contributions for about a year but definitely something I've been contemplating for awhile. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks. :beer
If your income is fairly secure and you use existing boat a good amount, I say go for it. Unlike a lot of people looking to buy a boat, it seems like you already know you enjoy it.
SQRT
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:44 am

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by SQRT »

bubbadog wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:05 pm
SQRT wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:50 pm Agree you should pay cash for toys or luxuries. Certainly agree that you could use a new boat though.
I think he is planning on paying cash.

He is doing great financially.

Life it about balance.

If a new boat would bring a lot of enjoyment for his family, I vote go for it!

OP, good luck with your decision.
Agree. If he pays cash he should certainly go for it. Make sure you get the biggest engine available. I bought a Bennington pontoon boat, 2 Seadoos, and got a new dock last year. Cant take it with you.
User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 13943
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by Sandtrap »

TarHeel2002 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:01 pm something like this...

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2016-Maste ... 96249.aspx

:sharebeer
Aha.
Got it.
Image
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
ohai
Posts: 1327
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by ohai »

OP, you really came to a website like this and expected people to approve of you buying a $60k boat?
Jack FFR1846
Posts: 13993
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am
Location: 26 miles, 385 yards west of Copley Square

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

ohai wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:15 pm OP, you really came to a website like this and expected people to approve of you buying a $60k boat?
Now, it it were a Tesla boat, there would be 20 posts thanking you for saving the planet with your new $300k electric boat that's going to save you a million dollars over the next 5 years.....
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
cbr shadow
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by cbr shadow »

ohai wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:15 pm OP, you really came to a website like this and expected people to approve of you buying a $60k boat?
You really posted that comment after several people in the thread DID approve his purchase? :-)
User avatar
elcadarj
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:21 am

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by elcadarj »

TarHeel2002 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:01 pm something like this...

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2016-Maste ... 96249.aspx

:sharebeer
:thumbsup :thumbsup
User avatar
elcadarj
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:21 am

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by elcadarj »

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing—absolute nothing—half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” Rat, The Wind in the Willows
Goal33
Posts: 1770
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by Goal33 »

You should get a new boat but does it have to be 50-60k? I don’t have experience with boats, just asking.
mw1739
Posts: 858
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by mw1739 »

Buy it! I want to live vicariously through you. I keep thinking I will scoop one up cheap during the next recession, but in the meantime I’m dying to have one.
uberdoc
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:37 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by uberdoc »

I am in the same boat. I just need to buy a lake.
BanquetBeer
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:57 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by BanquetBeer »

blackholescion wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:08 pm
BanquetBeer wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:40 pm You spend about $200k/yr (outside of 529/retirement savings) meaning using 4% SWR you would need 5million when you retire by 65?

Are you on track to meet that goal?
What? 260k -taxes -50k retirement -18k 529 =~ 130k. OP won’t have child care expenses, mortgage, etc on top of this.
$260 - 50k retirement = $210 - 40k? Taxes = 170k - 18k 529

Spending = 152k but you have to add back in taxes of 12-21k depending on how much com from LTCG vs 401k but at their savings rate/age it looks mostly 401k

So income needs today of $170k

Can they cut that down? Are they including some amount on savings side but not income side? (6-9% 401k match showing up on savings but not counted as income?)

All good questions but your ballpark seems just as far as my ballpark was, I used 200k for ease of math and to generate questions to look at data.
mikemikemike
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:25 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by mikemikemike »

Boats are great. If you save ~20% + of your income, and have the money to spare, buy a boat. (I have a 28' sailboat that I adore and spend a lot of time on). Boats can also be expensive: 60K isn't necessarily "too much".

But I would remove boat purchase from the "financial planning" side of your life. It's obviously not a profitable financial decision. Instead, make a budget that divides your income into savings, necessities (housing, food, etc.), contingencies (emergency fund), and luxuries. Boats fall in that last category, and if the $ is there in your luxuries bucket, just buy it.

Also: be sure to buy a pretty boat. Some boats are ugly; I wouldn't want to own one of those.
BruDude
Posts: 3760
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:28 am
Location: Las Vegas

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by BruDude »

smitcat wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:30 pm
BruDude wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:10 pm Two best days in a man’s life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat...
Sorry you did not like boating - for us it is a great opportunity and pastime with irreplaceable memories.
I’ve never had a boat but I’ve heard it many times from people that have.
mikemikemike
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:25 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by mikemikemike »

my wife cried when we sold our first boat. they were not tears of joy.
Regattamom
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:40 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by Regattamom »

BruDude wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:28 pm
smitcat wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:30 pm
BruDude wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:10 pm Two best days in a man’s life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat...
Sorry you did not like boating - for us it is a great opportunity and pastime with irreplaceable memories.
I’ve never had a boat but I’ve heard it many times from people that have.
Maybe you should stop repeating it? At least until you've lived it?

Buy the boat, OP. You can afford it. Have fun!
Cycle
Posts: 1970
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 7:57 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by Cycle »

smitcat wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:30 pm
BruDude wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:10 pm Two best days in a man’s life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat...
Sorry you did not like boating - for us it is a great opportunity and pastime with irreplaceable memories.
That doesn't qualify a blank check. I'm sure most memories would be equivalent with a 40k boat vs a 60k boat, or even a 10k boat for that matter.

Can you buy vacation at work, how many days of vacation can u buy with the 40k saved on a boat? Go boating an extra X days.

I grew up water skiing on a 40 year old boat, I don't think my memories would be any better if that were a 2 year old boat. I'd certainly be weaker as that old boat would drag you a hundred yards before you could pop out of the water.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 25444
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by willthrill81 »

bloom2708 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:42 pm I'm on the "pay cash for toys" bandwagon.
I definitely see where you're coming from, but cash spent on toys is cash that cannot be invested. Paying a little bit more via the interest associated short-term financing, which is what the OP said he would potentially do, wouldn't really move their needle.
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
bhsince87
Posts: 2755
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by bhsince87 »

Would you rather retire 3-4 years earlier?

That's essentially what you could be looking at.

Only you can answer that question.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 25444
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by willthrill81 »

bhsince87 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:19 pm Would you rather retire 3-4 years earlier?

That's essentially what you could be looking at.

Only you can answer that question.
That's a bit draconian. The OP's expenses, not including savings, are about $200k annually, including significant debt that should be paid off by retirement. Assuming a 5% return, their current savings path would lead to them having $4.9 million by age 65, and that's not taking SS benefits or any other potential income streams into account. They look to be in pretty good shape to me.
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
blackholescion
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:41 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by blackholescion »

BanquetBeer wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:09 pm
blackholescion wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:08 pm
BanquetBeer wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:40 pm You spend about $200k/yr (outside of 529/retirement savings) meaning using 4% SWR you would need 5million when you retire by 65?

Are you on track to meet that goal?
What? 260k -taxes -50k retirement -18k 529 =~ 130k. OP won’t have child care expenses, mortgage, etc on top of this.
$260 - 50k retirement = $210 - 40k? Taxes = 170k - 18k 529

Spending = 152k but you have to add back in taxes of 12-21k depending on how much com from LTCG vs 401k but at their savings rate/age it looks mostly 401k

So income needs today of $170k

Can they cut that down? Are they including some amount on savings side but not income side? (6-9% 401k match showing up on savings but not counted as income?)

All good questions but your ballpark seems just as far as my ballpark was, I used 200k for ease of math and to generate questions to look at data.
If based on username, OP lives in NC, then taxes are a minimum of 60k (would be in any state that has circa 5% income tax). 150k is a lot different than 200k. That’s 1.25 million less they need in retirement.

Good call on adding taxes back in.
bhsince87
Posts: 2755
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by bhsince87 »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:24 pm
bhsince87 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:19 pm Would you rather retire 3-4 years earlier?

That's essentially what you could be looking at.

Only you can answer that question.
That's a bit draconian. The OP's expenses, not including savings, are about $200k annually, including significant debt that should be paid off by retirement. Assuming a 5% return, their current savings path would lead to them having $4.9 million by age 65, and that's not taking SS benefits or any other potential income streams into account. They look to be in pretty good shape to me.
I didn't say they weren't in good shape.

IMO, they are. And I think they can afford the boat, no problem.

But $50k invested in the market now will almost certainly be worth more in, say 25 years, than $50k spent on a boat.

The OP was looking for opinions. And I have one.

I sometimes regret the $30k I spent on a sports car 12 years ago. If I had kept that money invested, it would be worth a couple years living expenses now.

Was it worth it? I don't know. But probably was.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
User avatar
mrspock
Posts: 1730
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 am
Location: Vulcan

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by mrspock »

Worst. Idea. Ever. Instead, join HedgeFundie's Adventure (search for thread), invest it, and buy a Yacht like the rest of us in about 20 years.
EnjoyIt
Posts: 5971
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by EnjoyIt »

[quote=willthrill81 post_id=4626848 time=1562382447 user_id=116799]
[quote=bloom2708 post_id=4626165 time=1562352150 user_id=52737]
I'm on the "pay cash for toys" bandwagon.
[/quote]

I definitely see where you're coming from, but cash spent on toys is cash that cannot be invested. Paying a little bit more via the interest associated short-term financing, which is what the OP said he would potentially do, wouldn't really move their needle.
[/quote]


I think it’s more the psychology of leasing or paying interest on luxuries. This is how people fall into trouble. Instead of thinking about total cost, they think about monthly payments. Because of that, I too am in the camp of paying cash for luxuries (except the house.)
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 25444
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by willthrill81 »

EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:12 pmI think it’s more the psychology of leasing or paying interest on luxuries. This is how people fall into trouble. Instead of thinking about total cost, they think about monthly payments. Because of that, I too am in the camp of paying cash for luxuries (except the house.)
I agree that the psychological trappings of using credit for consumables or depreciating assets has gotten millions of people into trouble. But, in the OP's case, the financial side of it is actually fine. Does it really matter if he pays a couple thousand, at most, in interest by taking out a 20% loan on a boat?
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
EnjoyIt
Posts: 5971
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by EnjoyIt »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:15 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:12 pmI think it’s more the psychology of leasing or paying interest on luxuries. This is how people fall into trouble. Instead of thinking about total cost, they think about monthly payments. Because of that, I too am in the camp of paying cash for luxuries (except the house.)
I agree that the psychological trappings of using credit for consumables or depreciating assets has gotten millions of people into trouble. But, in the OP's case, the financial side of it is actually fine. Does it really matter if he pays a couple thousand, at most, in interest by taking out a 20% loan on a boat?
Nope, it does not unless it leads to more and more financed purchases. Also noteworthy is that arbitraging a percent or two on low financing isn’t going to move the needle either.

This is all psychology, and it is well proven that financing a purchase gets the buyer to spend more than if they would have paid cash. Not so different as adding options on a new car purchase for just a few extra dollars a month. Maybe OP or yourself are not prone to such common psychological foibles, but the vast majority of consumers are.

I know for me, it makes a big difference which I noticed right away the first time I paid cash for a car.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 25444
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by willthrill81 »

EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:25 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:15 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:12 pmI think it’s more the psychology of leasing or paying interest on luxuries. This is how people fall into trouble. Instead of thinking about total cost, they think about monthly payments. Because of that, I too am in the camp of paying cash for luxuries (except the house.)
I agree that the psychological trappings of using credit for consumables or depreciating assets has gotten millions of people into trouble. But, in the OP's case, the financial side of it is actually fine. Does it really matter if he pays a couple thousand, at most, in interest by taking out a 20% loan on a boat?
Nope, it does not unless it leads to more and more financed purchases. Also noteworthy is that arbitraging a percent or two on low financing isn’t going to move the needle either.

This is all psychology, and it is well proven that financing a purchase gets the buyer to spend more than if they would have paid cash. Not so different as adding options on a new car purchase for just a few extra dollars a month. Maybe OP or yourself are not prone to such common psychological foibles, but the vast majority of consumers are.

I know for me, it makes a big difference which I noticed right away the first time I paid cash for a car.
I agree that the Diderot effect (i.e. one purchase leads to more) seems to be very real. And paying with credit does tend to increase the amount spent vs. paying with cash. But the OP noted that all or at least most of this purchase will be made with cash. From a math perspective, a very short-term loan isn't likely to be a problem in the slightest as long as it doesn't go beyond that. Considering that his current boat is 20 years old, I think that he'll be happy with a new one for many years to come.
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
EnjoyIt
Posts: 5971
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: 50-60k boat purchase??

Post by EnjoyIt »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:30 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:25 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:15 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:12 pmI think it’s more the psychology of leasing or paying interest on luxuries. This is how people fall into trouble. Instead of thinking about total cost, they think about monthly payments. Because of that, I too am in the camp of paying cash for luxuries (except the house.)
I agree that the psychological trappings of using credit for consumables or depreciating assets has gotten millions of people into trouble. But, in the OP's case, the financial side of it is actually fine. Does it really matter if he pays a couple thousand, at most, in interest by taking out a 20% loan on a boat?
Nope, it does not unless it leads to more and more financed purchases. Also noteworthy is that arbitraging a percent or two on low financing isn’t going to move the needle either.

This is all psychology, and it is well proven that financing a purchase gets the buyer to spend more than if they would have paid cash. Not so different as adding options on a new car purchase for just a few extra dollars a month. Maybe OP or yourself are not prone to such common psychological foibles, but the vast majority of consumers are.

I know for me, it makes a big difference which I noticed right away the first time I paid cash for a car.
I agree that the Diderot effect (i.e. one purchase leads to more) seems to be very real. And paying with credit does tend to increase the amount spent vs. paying with cash. But the OP noted that all or at least most of this purchase will be made with cash. From a math perspective, a very short-term loan isn't likely to be a problem in the slightest as long as it doesn't go beyond that. Considering that his current boat is 20 years old, I think that he'll be happy with a new one for many years to come.
I agree with you on the first comment. I can’t comment on if buying a $50k boat will make him any happier as compared to paying cash and buying a $35k boat.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
Post Reply