Hire a driver?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Cyanide123

Hire a driver?

Post by Cyanide123 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:27 am

I have a new job that is about 1 hour away where I'll do a 12 hour shift, nights only. I'll be working 12 days a month.

Option 1: suck it up and drive 2 hours a day whenever I work.

Option 2: I know a gentleman who drives an Uber who is willing to drive me to work and pick me back up for $100/round trip (scheduled trips that are not through Uber). That's a cost of $1200 a month roughly.

For reference, each shift I'll make ~ 2k post taxes, roughly 3.1k before taxes.

I can also deduct the cost of the driver as a business expense so bringing the cost down to ~$65/round trip

Would any of you guys give up 3 percent of your post tax paycheck to have the luxury of having someone else drive. My initial concern was that I was afraid of falling asleep on the wheel due to long night shifts. But the cheap side of me doesn't feel right about spending that.

Edit: moving closer is not an option as my wife's commute to work will keep getting longer, and she works 70-80 hours a week while I work half of that so I'd much rather have her have a shorter commute.

jlawrence01

Re: Hire a driver?

Post by jlawrence01 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:38 am

Two comments:

1) Commuting expenses are generally not allowable business deductions.

2) An alternative would be to find a clean and cheap hotel where you can spend the night on those evenings when you cannot make it home. As a person who commuted 120 miles to graduate school while working full time, I found this to be a viable option.

manusnd1

Post by manusnd1 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:17 am

It sounds like you are a doctor doing shifts. Traveling from home office to hospitals is deductible. I am not sure if this is still true if you have a car that you deduct as well. How would you be insured for these car rides? You have medical, I assume through work. Would you be liable if the driver got in an accident that damaged his car or someone else? Who could you sue if the driver causes an accident and you are injuried? Would the drivers personal insurance cover any of this?

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:29 am

If you are working nights and are sleepy, the safety issue is an important consideration. As a physician making a good income, it would be wise to pay for the driver.

anoop

Post by anoop » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:44 am

Cyanide123 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:27 am
I have a new job that is about 1 hour away where I'll do a 12 hour shift, nights only. I'll be working 12 days a month.

Option 2: I know a gentleman who drives an Uber who is willing to drive me to work and pick me back up for $100/round trip (scheduled trips that are not through Uber). That's a cost of $1200 a month roughly.

I can also deduct the cost of the driver as a business expense so bringing the cost down to ~$65/round trip

Would any of you guys give up 3 percent of your post tax paycheck to have the luxury of having someone else drive. My initial concern was that I was afraid of falling asleep on the wheel due to long night shifts. But the cheap side of me doesn't feel right about spending that.

Edit: moving closer is not an option as my wife's commute to work will keep getting longer, and she works 70-80 hours a week while I work half of that so I'd much rather have her have a shorter commute.
If the driver will be using his car, it's a no brainer because you'd incur cost of gas and wear and tear on your car if you were driving.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:23 am

When I lived in NY I routinely spent 1+ hours commuting to work. After a while you get used to it.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:30 am

1 hour commute is not really that bad.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:55 am

jlawrence01 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:38 am
I get quite a few 1099 income clients at Taxaide who mistakenly think they can deduct their mileage to and from their work site.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:33 am

If the work is at a hospital, don’t they have a room for doctors to sleep? Perhaps nap to avoid sleepiness before driving yourself.

onourway

Post by onourway » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:38 am

A large number of workers work 12 hour shifts with commutes on each end a lot more than 12 days a month.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:42 am

jebmke wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:55 am
jlawrence01 wrote:
I get quite a few 1099 income clients at Taxaide who mistakenly think they can deduct their mileage to and from their work site.
I did VITA this year and encountered something similar. While people typically can't deduct that mileage, there is an exception. If a person doesn't have a regular place of work (home health care in the case I encountered) and you have a work site outside of the metro area of where you live and ordinarily work, that mileage *is* deductible.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:42 am

I definitely would use the driver. No brainier.

On your shift you make $200 an hour. You're paying this guy like $15/hr after subtracting vehicle expenses and depreciation. He's got to drive to you and wait a little too.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:51 am

This is a funny problem. Your premise seems to be that for your safety you might be better off hiring a driver. Yet you are parsing it down to money out of pocket and maybe tax deductible aspects. So, is it really a safety issue or not?
Sounds like the costs are outweighing the safety and thus in reality you do no give as much credence to that safety issue.
I'd be more concerned about the wife who must be exhausted with a 70-80 hour work week even if she has to drive less. You do nkt need an hour drive to fall asleep at the wheel.
Hope you solve this problem. Maybe you should ask around where you work to the others who are also doing 12 hour shifts but do not have the pay scale you do to mitigate their drive home after the same night of work as you.

Topic Author
Cyanide123

Post by Cyanide123 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:04 am

jlawrence01 wrote:
Two comments:

I was hiring the guy as more of a "personal assistant". Also, my commute is to another city, and for some reason my accountant did deduct mileage last year for similar gigs, although not the same job.

Topic Author
Cyanide123

Post by Cyanide123 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:06 am

SRenaeP wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:42 am
jebmke wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:55 am
jlawrence01 wrote:
I did VITA this year and encountered something similar. While people typically can't deduct that mileage, there is an exception. If a person doesn't have a regular place of work (home health care in the case I encountered) and you have a work site outside of the metro area of where you live and ordinarily work, that mileage *is* deductible.

Yes, I think that's why my accountant made those deductions for mileage.

Topic Author
Cyanide123

Post by Cyanide123 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:08 am

manusnd1 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:17 am
It sounds like you are a doctor doing shifts. Traveling from home office to hospitals is deductible. I am not sure if this is still true if you have a car that you deduct as well. How would you be insured for these car rides? You have medical, I assume through work. Would you be liable if the driver got in an accident that damaged his car or someone else? Who could you sue if the driver causes an accident and you are injuried? Would the drivers personal insurance cover any of this?
The driver has ride-share insurance tacked on his regular insurance. He does this full time essentially and has regular clients.

Topic Author
Cyanide123

Post by Cyanide123 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:10 am

ddurrett896 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:30 am
Theoretically no, but research shows that people are most likely to have an accident after a night shift commute back

rj342

Post by rj342 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:14 am

I would lean toward giving driving it a try, w the fallback place to crash already planned.

OTOH, I am long allergic to long commutes, so in your situation the driver is not a crazily self-indulgent idea to me.
At least I don't get the tone of some other replies that seem vaguely shaming.

Topic Author
Cyanide123

Post by Cyanide123 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:15 am

Cycle wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:42 am
I definitely would use the driver. No brainier.

On your shift you make $200 an hour. You're paying this guy like $15/hr after subtracting vehicle expenses and depreciation. He's got to drive to you and wait a little too.
Well more like $260/hr. Having the luxury of someone drive brings my hourly to $255/hr more or less.

onourway

Post by onourway » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:15 am

Cyanide123 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:10 am
ddurrett896 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:30 am
Theoretically no, but research shows that people are most likely to have an accident after a night shift commute back
While I'm sure that's true, I would spend a bit of time doing the drive yourself to see how you handle it.

Another consideration, if you generally find the commute to be tolerably safe, is that $15k/year will go a long ways towards paying for a new vehicle with state of the art safety equipment. This is hardly fool-proof, but honestly I might prefer my chances in a car like that vs. an uber driver in whatever budget vehicle they have. Not to mention you have no idea how many hours that driver has put in before picking you up.
Last edited by onourway on Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ddd7651

Post by Ddd7651 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:22 am

If it is mainly the safety consideration after being tired, that is understandable and ignore the next part.

I got into Audible this year to listen to audio books. I like to swap around fiction and non-fiction. I felt I was wasting parts of my life away on my commute to and from work. Since I can get my reading in and be entertained, I have at times driven a little extra before going home to figure out what happens next in a chapter and look forward to driving to work. No more political stations or repeating music for me. If you have a interest or hobby that might make the commute more enjoyable. I find I get less tired at times if I my mind is engaged into a good book. But if you can't keep your eyes open, this won't work obviously.

Buckeye Chuck

Post by Buckeye Chuck » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:29 am

I've worked 24 hr shifts on occasion and 16 hrs routinely. I drive myself home. If it's that tough you could take a nap prior to leaving for home. Time out some coffee or caffeine effects and drink it to get you through. I never drank coffee until I got this job.

I also split extra shifts sometimes with people so we both would add half a shift on the front or back end of our regular shift. Maybe that's an option to lighten things up.

mchampse

Post by mchampse » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:29 am

It’s great that you recognize that driving after your 12 hour shift can be dangerous. However, the driver you hire is in the same boat. They will be driving you home after 12 hours of driving other people around. If I’m not mistaken, the rideshare apps limit the amount of continuous time that someone can be logged in to address that. If they are driving you logged off, that time won’t count.

With regards to insurance, I believe that ride share insurance assumes that the driver will be covered partially by the rideshare company’s insurance when there is a passenger in the car. Driving someone outside the app leaves a potential coverage gap and an enterprising attorney would go after the doctor passenger rather than the rideshare driver. If he did get into a crash, you could claim that he was just giving you a lift as a friend though I’d imagine the insurer would investigate.

blackholescion

Post by blackholescion » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:34 am

Most Americans are awake for 16+ hours a day. Since you’re working nights, you’ll have to flip your schedule and may be better to just do it permanently rather than keep flipping back and forth every 4 days. Being awake from 17:00-09:00 isn’t much different as that person awake from 05:00-21:00 who may or may not be driving at hour 13-14 just like you are.

Have you thought about getting a Tesla? The payment wouldn’t be more than $1200 depending on options and what you get and financing amount. Obviously don’t be that person who naps on their commute but it can help with fatigue on the drives and is a generally a safe vehicle.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:37 am

When my DW had a commute time of around 1.5 hr. one way, we rented a cheap apartment in that city where she could stay a few nights a week versus come home every night. However, it was only for three years and not indefinite in scope. That would probably have made a difference.

Topic Author
Cyanide123

Post by Cyanide123 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:39 am

mchampse wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:29 am
It’s great that you recognize that driving after your 12 hour shift can be dangerous. However, the driver you hire is in the same boat. They will be driving you home after 12 hours of driving other people around. If I’m not mistaken, the rideshare apps limit the amount of continuous time that someone can be logged in to address that. If they are driving you logged off, that time won’t count.

With regards to insurance, I believe that ride share insurance assumes that the driver will be covered partially by the rideshare company’s insurance when there is a passenger in the car. Driving someone outside the app leaves a potential coverage gap and an enterprising attorney would go after the doctor passenger rather than the rideshare driver. If he did get into a crash, you could claim that he was just giving you a lift as a friend though I’d imagine the insurer would investigate.
Worst case scenario I guess I have a umbrella policy. It's hard to imagine how a passenger can be liable for damages when they aren't driving.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:39 am

Cyanide123 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:08 am
The driver has ride-share insurance tacked on his regular insurance. He does this full time essentially and has regular clients.
The OP said that the driver would do this OUTSIDE of Uber. So Uber's insurance would not cover anything that happens. Chances are very good that the driver's insurance specifically excludes ride share activities (mine does and it's very clear reading the policy). What this means is that if there's any kind of accident, nobody's covering anyone. I've actually asked my insurance agent about this wrt ride share and they pointed to the policy, where I read that in the event that a claim is made where a paid for ride is involved, the insurance reverts to state minimums. In my state, that means $10k liability and nothing else.

I'll also comment that I worked for one company 55 miles away, against traffic (Hopkinton, MA to Merrimack, NH) for 8 years. The one way time was right about 1 hour. Later, I worked for a company in Waltham, MA for 8 years, 23 miles but fighting traffic heading towards Boston, so again 1 hour. This is by far not an abnormal commute in my region. Just suck it up and drive. If you don't feel it's safe, your best bet is to call a "real" car service and work out a lower rate contract with them. "Real" services will have proper insurance, with commercial registrations and insurance covering their properly licensed drivers. Uber insurance has been known to back away and say "not me". Remember that Uber's insurance is covering Uber.....there's where they are most concerned.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Topic Author
Cyanide123

Post by Cyanide123 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:43 am

Buckeye Chuck wrote:
I've worked 24 hr shifts on occasion and 16 hrs routinely. I drive myself home. If it's that tough you could take a nap prior to leaving for home. Time out some coffee or caffeine effects and drink it to get you through. I never drank coffee until I got this job.

I also split extra shifts sometimes with people so we both would add half a shift on the front or back end of our regular shift. Maybe that's an option to lighten things up.
I've routinely done 30 hour days on call and driven home after (shorter commute than new job). Dumb life decisions as a broke resident when I didn't have money. There have been several days where keeping my eyes open while on the road was a struggle. 12 hours is obviously not the same, hence the dilemma if the cost is worth it

Topic Author
Cyanide123

Post by Cyanide123 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:45 am

blackholescion wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:34 am

Have you thought about getting a Tesla? The payment wouldn’t be more than $1200 depending on options and what you get and financing amount. Obviously don’t be that person who naps on their commute but it can help with fatigue on the drives and is a generally a safe vehicle.
I thought about it, but just too much bad media for them recently with accidents on autopilot.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:53 am

Cyanide123 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:27 am
One hour each way commutes are very common. I certainly prefer what I have now, in semi-retirement - 4 days a week, 5 hours a day - under 5 miles each way. Instead of the "normal" 21 days a month - you would only be doing this 12.

Are you concerned about safety? Such as falling asleep or other? Don't know - but can your risk of falling asleep, etc. be predicted or judged? Maybe it is something you can safely adjust to by altering your schedule on your days off.

Maybe certain vehicles could minimize the chances of falling asleep? Or, certain features - such as a manual transmission - or a "less comfortable" vehicle - or a noisy, rough riding one. Having worked night shifts many years ago, I found there were some schedule adjustments the other days that helped adjust. I, vaguely, seem to recall seeing feature(s) for some cars that can detect driving behavior that indicates falling asleep and doing some kind of warning.

Are the 12 days bunched together at all? If so, might it be possible to rent a room where you could stay for a few days at a time? Perhaps in a house sharing situation - Back when I was sharing single family homes with 2-3 others, having someone just using one room a few days a month would have been a good fit for our group.

The hiring a driver option, at $100 a round trip, though, seems like a real bargain for the time and mileage involved.

From other posts, it seems there is debate over the tax benefit of the $100 a round trip. I will leave that aspect to others. BUT - I am guessing that the driver might want the $100 "off the books" - so, if it is tax deductible for you - I suggest the $100 be verifiable.

Even if you decide to normally drive, I would keep the driver option available on occasion.

Good Luck!

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:01 am

I think hiring a driver is an excellent idea. My wife occasionally works as a per diem at a hospital that is a little over an hour away. She drives back and forth but this is maybe one day a month. I drove her back and forth recently when she was scheduled to work the day after finishing 3x12 at her regular job. After 3x12 she would be too sleepy to do the drive safely.

What some of her colleagues who work there do is rent someone's casita. I think there are four of them and they all work there full-time (3x12) as well as have full-time jobs at another hospital here in town. They do that so they don't have to drive back and forth. I believe there is only one bed so they keep their own sheets and hot bed it. I'm not suggesting that for you but for a lower-paid employee that seems to be a reasonable alternative.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:03 am

Isn't this what money is for?

How would $10K less a year (after taxes) impact a) your lifestyle and b) your retirement savings? If this wouldn't delay your retirement or meaningfully impact your lifestyle, then try it and see if you like it.

Were it me, I'd probably try the drive to see how bad it is. I also like the suggestion of finding a "cheap" hotel where you could stay on those nights where you just couldn't stay awake.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:09 am

I would do it. Honestly, I think it's worth a bit more, after factoring in the money saved on gas and vehicle depreciation.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:16 am

Having the same driver for both ends of the trip means they would be working ~14 hours from the beginning of your trip leaving home to the end of your trip returning home. I'd be concerned about the driver being tired.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:16 am

Raybo wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:03 am
How would $10K less a year (after taxes) impact a) your lifestyle and b) your retirement savings? If this wouldn't delay your retirement or meaningfully impact your lifestyle, then try it and see if you like it.
Were it me, I'd probably try the drive to see how bad it is. I also like the suggestion of finding a "cheap" hotel where you could stay on those nights where you just couldn't stay awake.
Not sure about a "cheap" hotel/motel! Especially not one that charges by the hour! :oops:

Back when I worked nights, the first one was the toughest - then I was ok for the remaining successive days.

Depending on the details of the neighborhood near work, there might be some good (and inexpensive) for a few days a month housing options.

Yes $10k a year for the higher total income here can certainly make sense - if the other factors so indicate.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:18 am

Whakamole wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:16 am
Having the same driver for both ends of the trip means they would be working ~14 hours from the beginning of your trip leaving home to the end of your trip returning home. I'd be concerned about the driver being tired.
Not necessarily. The driver makes the trip to the workplace in the evening, then goes home and goes to bed, sleeps 8 hours, gets up and makes the trip to deliver him home. The driver would not have to work/drive at night or very long shifts.

Post by 123 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:29 am

In your situation hiring a driver seems a reasonable approach. One area that you may lose out on with a driver is the ability to handle some errands on the way home. When I had long commutes I often did errands on the way home (general shopping, grocery shopping, etc) so that need to do those on my free days vanished. Depends on what your family situation is on whether that is significant. Regardless the idea of napping/relaxing on the way to and from work is really attractive, it's one of the reasons I use public transit whenever possible.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:31 am

123 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:29 am
In your situation hiring a driver seems a reasonable approach. On area that you may lose out on with a driver is the ability to handle some errands on the way home. When I had long commutes I often did errands on the way home (general shopping, grocery shopping, etc) so that I need to do those on my free days. Depends on what your family situation is on whether that is significant. Regardless the idea of napping/relaxing on the way to and from work is really attractive, it's one of the reasons I use public transit whenever possible.
Yes - some folks can either relax when riding or do some productive work.

Other folks cannot do this.

onourway

Post by onourway » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:34 am

dm200 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:18 am
Not necessarily. The driver makes the trip to the workplace in the evening, then goes home and goes to bed, sleeps 8 hours, gets up and makes the trip to deliver him home. The driver would not have to work/drive at night or very long shifts.
The driver will almost certainly be working other hours during the day. Probably a lot of hours.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:01 am

onourway wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:34 am
dm200 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:18 am
The driver will almost certainly be working other hours during the day. Probably a lot of hours.
They're an Uber driver (at least according to the initial post), so assume they will be driving an Uber during Cyanide123's 12 hour shift.

I'm not sure I'd hire this driver for safety reasons. There's no guarantee that they'd take a nap during their shift, and you'd end up with a tired driver bringing you home.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:17 am

Cyanide123 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:39 am
mchampse wrote:

Worst case scenario I guess I have a umbrella policy. It's hard to imagine how a passenger can be liable for damages when they aren't driving.
Earlier you indicated that your driver would be a "personal assistant", so maybe an aggressive litigator would consider your driver a part time employee. Since you expect to pay as much as $1200/mo or in excess of $10k/yr, will you be issuing the driver a 1099?

Also, I'd be a bit concerned about the possibility of being stranded at work at the end of the shift should the driver have an issue getting there. Is there a backup plan?

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:19 am

I have been commuting to my job for 14 years. If you have back to back night shifts then I would highly suggest just getting a nice hotel room for the day. Get a good business card, rack up the points, and earn free rooms/upgrades. By the time you get home and try to get 8 hours of rest, you will only have a short time before you need to make the commute again. It will wear on your body. Get the room and just relax for the day. You are really not going to have quality time at home after being groggy from the night shift.

tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:26 am

Flyer24 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:19 am
I have been commuting to my job for 14 years. If you have back to back night shifts then I would highly suggest just getting a nice hotel room for the day. Get a good business card, rack up the points, and earn free rooms/upgrades. By the time you get home and try to get 8 hours of rest, you will only have a short time before you need to make the commute again. It will wear on your body. Get the room and just relax for the day. You are really not going to have quality time at home after being groggy from the night shift.
This is a very good idea. Talk to the sales manager to get a good fixed nightly rate given you will be staying there x times per month.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:27 am

Flyer24 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:19 am
+1 The cost of a room and meal(s) would likely not be too much more than the RT via personal assistant aka driver.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:38 am

Raybo wrote:
Yup.

I have a friend who has a son who works 3 12 hour shifts per week and has a 3 hour commute.

During her son's commute home she stays on the phone with him, talking with him and singing to help him stay awake. She is a real life angel.

The OP is lucky that he has the option to hire a driver. He should do it if he has any doubt.

Topic Author
Cyanide123

Post by Cyanide123 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:40 am

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:17 am
Cyanide123 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:39 am
mchampse wrote:

Earlier you indicated that your driver would be a "personal assistant", so maybe an aggressive litigator would consider your driver a part time employee. Since you expect to pay as much as $1200/mo or in excess of $10k/yr, will you be issuing the driver a 1099?

Also, I'd be a bit concerned about the possibility of being stranded at work at the end of the shift should the driver have an issue getting there. Is there a backup plan?
Yes, there will be a 1099 through my LLC. Every check will be through the business account.

Being stranded is definitely a concern. Plan B is sleeping in a local hotel or the doc room if stranded.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:47 am

It is a shame that our system has working doctors who are too tired to get themselves home.

Topic Author
Cyanide123

Post by Cyanide123 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:55 am

Ged wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:38 am
Raybo wrote:
Yup.

I have a friend who has a son who works 3 12 hour shifts per week and has a 3 hour commute.

During her son's commute home she stays on the phone with him, talking with him and singing to help him stay awake. She is a real life angel.

The OP is lucky that he has the option to hire a driver. He should do it if he has any doubt.
Yes. Who am I making all this money for? My expenses are minimum already. I'll save likely 200-250k a year after all expenses. What's the point of it?

sergio

Post by sergio » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:56 am

greg24 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:47 am
It is a shame that our system has working doctors who are too tired to get themselves home.
When my mom re-started working as an RN she worked nights 7pm - 7am at a hospital 45 minutes away. It was only a 45 minute commute because she went against traffic both ways. Similar situation to the OP, except her salary was not anywhere close to $250+/hour. It sucked but she made it work, and the 4-days off/week helped.

Topic Author
Cyanide123

Post by Cyanide123 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:59 am

greg24 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:47 am
Hahah it was a 13 hour shift originally when I started looking for a driver. They made it a 12 hour shift which is why I'm wondering if there a need. 13 hour shift was a no brainer for me.

Residency is where we work a lot more hours. I've driven home after 30 hours without sleep wayyy too often. The difference is now I can afford luxuries, then I couldn't working $15/hr roughly as a resident physician.