Relocate to Seattle or NYC

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Rob5TCP

Re: Relocate to Seattle or NYC

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:15 am

If you can negotiate one a week at the office and 4 days WFH, the NYC choice is a clear winner.
You could easily live even 50-75 miles away -- if the office is near Grand Central you can live many places
North of the city and have a fairly stressfree commute. If near Penn Station you have NJ with NJ
transit and Amtrak (also going to upstate NY).

NYC has the best mass transit (even with its problems) in the country. With the limited amount
of days you have to be in the office; your range of living places is huge. The further from the
city, the less expensive and the more land that the property could have (if that is important).

I love Seattle. Six months ago we cut our trip to Vancouver short to spend more time in Seattle (over 3 weeks).

With the two offerings you have, NY seems to be the better option IF you like and can handle
WFH.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:46 am

There's even a question?

OP is programmer.... with kid going into school next year

(the question is like, hmmm, Nashville or St Louis.... (hint, for that one get to like a city that still has a football team))

No brainer ====> SEATTLE

In my early years, decades ago, two areas that were offering but not paying enough to survive: NYC and Bay Area. Same as it ever was... (I went elsewhere.... and now am retired because I could save and invest.)

The OP needs to be able to save for family and insure a longer term for future, and being a programmer in Seattle gives him the ability to find another gig fairly easily in an area that still has demand all the while saving (in a no income tax state.... sales taxes comparable) .... and the job out there starts with a modestly higher level as well.
As it's expected that you aren't from there, there's probably a more open welcoming community

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:50 am

If you plan to live in the suburbs, and have to go into the office every day in Seattle, and can work from home in New York, then New York. Seattle has horrendous, soul sucking suburban commutes. Really. Do not discount this.

I have to question, if you prefer suburban life, why you are considering those cities at all. If you like cities, they’re both in the top five places to live in the US, but if you prefer suburban life, practically anywhere else in the country will be better.

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:54 am

Nestegg_User wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:46 am
There's even a question?

OP is programmer.... with kid going into school next year

(the question is like, hmmm, Nashville or St Louis.... (hint, for that one get to like a city that still has a football team))

No brainer ====> SEATTLE

In my early years, decades ago, two areas that were offering but not paying enough to survive: NYC and Bay Area. Same as it ever was... (I went elsewhere.... and now am retired because I could save and invest.)

The OP needs to be able to save for family and insure a longer term for future, and being a programmer in Seattle gives him the ability to find another gig fairly easily in an area that still has demand all the while saving (in a no income tax state.... sales taxes comparable) .... and the job out there starts with a modestly higher level as well.
As it's expected that you aren't from there, there's probably a more open welcoming community
Public schools in New York suburban areas (Westchester, Long Island) are much better than Seattle area. High school students in the Seattle area think university of Washington or UCLA is a reach school. Public schools in the better NY suburbs see people going to MIT, Harvard, University of Chicago. To get good public school in Seattle area you need to be in Bellevue/Medina area which are way out of OPs budget. NYC public schools are terrible but OP wants to live in the suburbs anyway so that’s not an issue

You bring up another good point though with the OP being a programmer. There are many different types of programmers, but the offer OP has seems low for a software engineering background in Seattle area. Could easily get 20% more than that in the Seattle area in most software engineering fields. Even for NY, the offer seems low. If OP is looking at jobs in a commercial bank then I guess it makes sense, but the same job in an investment bank or asset manager would pay a lot more.

My next point is very anecdotal but I work in data analytics as a consultant and work with many clients. What I have noticed is that people working in industry (banks, insurance companies, retail, manufacturing companies) in the Pacific Northwest have much slower career growth than people in those same industries in the NYC area. This is not the case for tech companies like amazon and startups, but certainly for your big old school fortune type companies.

One of my friends working in analytics for one of the big insurance companies in Seattle tells me she is constantly promised raises and promotions that never materialize which she attributes to her managers being afraid to tell her what skills she needs to work on. I have seen this quite a bit in Seattle where there’s a cultural inclination to avoid bringing up anything that could be perceived as negative even if it’s meant to be constructive criticism. I have found it challenging to deal with clients in the area because they hire my consulting company to help them solve problems, but are offended and flabbergasted when we tell them how they could improve. A lot of beating around the bush needs to happen to soften the blow when you need to tell people areas of improvement vs NY where you’ll just be told flat out what’s working well and what needs improvement.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:40 am

squared...

slow down, the kids not even in school yet
much less looking to get into HYPMS....
(...and BTW, there are some of us in the two comma club that went to the State U's (you have heard of both my undergrad and grad schools....and yeah, I was there when one of the faculty got a Nobel, there's others there already with them ... )

let's assume that the kid is typical Lake Wobegon... above average but not getting full ride anywhere. Costs for kids in eastern US schools, public or private, are very high compared to midwest or western schools...and remember, it's the grad school you need to have more than the undergraduate. ...and the kid might want to be a doctor, where U of W has a good program.
if that's the case, there's gonna be a big chunk expected from FAFSA, since family income is significantly above average, and Seattle job (or future job in area) will better allow savings (and might even provide benefits towards it, if negotiated). Also note that the job was insurance, which generally pays less; hence, the job market most likely to be able to jump to better conditions would be...SEATTLE. (peruse other threads, and can see that the NYC big banks, hedgies, etc self selects to only a few uni's so OP isn't likely to break into that segment. Best option for advancement still seems to be Seattle)

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:50 am

Early in my career I worked for a major bank in Western New York. I reached the point where the next step in my career involved a move to the home office in NYC. I felt then and I still feel now I would rather move to any city in the US other than NYC. That was when I accepted a job with a major bank that was branching into Florida. There are millions of workers who would love to get out of NYC. Think twice before accepting a job there.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

ctuser1

Post by ctuser1 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:29 am

+1 for NYC.

If you can work from home at least 2 days a week, then I'd suggest CT, NJ or upstate NY.

If schools are very important, then there are some ultra-competitive school districts in NJ that are very highly rated - much like a good school would look like in India or China. I personally don't like so much pressure on high-schoolers as it kills creativity in my opinion - but many people swear by it.

As far as NY State goes, many of the long island and east/west chester schools are fantastic e.g. Port Washington seems to produce National level Intel Talent Search finalists with alarming regularity.

CT may offer good schools + affordability. Everything with good schools in NJ/NY would cost a lot (think $1MM for house, and $25k/yr in taxes). Fairfield county in CT is similar (Greenwich/Darien/Westport/Fairfield). Housing prices would be similar to NJ/NY - ~800k to 1MM. You can also live on the south end of New Haven county if you are commuting only 2/3 days a week. Woodbridge/Orange have very good schools and are close to the new haven train line into Grand Central. If you like it more urban - Milford is good, and is the very first town in New Haven county. If you do this, the housing cost would drop below $500k. You can easily do $400k for a big SFH on half an acre, and may even be able to do $300k for a smaller SFH. Condos can be even cheaper if that is your thing. You would likely pay $6-7k in taxes/year as opposed to the $20k+ that all NJ/NYS residents seem to talk about.

I live in southern New Haven and commute in using Metro North. The train ride is comfortable and my door to door commute time to downtown (close to WTC) is 2hour and 5 minutes. This area is perfect for single earners intent on LBYM.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:39 am

Do you work from home now? Work-at-home arrangements have great pluses but it can be challenging with young children at home even with a SAH spouse.

If you choose NYC, it is a long door-to-door commute from the NY/NJ/CT suburbs. On a good day. Be sure you can handle a 4-hour round trip commute even if it’s only 1 day per week. It’s not for everyone.

Best of luck!

alexander29

Post by alexander29 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:44 am

If you choose Seattle, consider Mercer Island as a suburb. My daughter moved there with her family and likes it more than she expected. Great schools, and connected to Seattle and Bellevue by I-90 bridges. Pricey, but it looks like you could afford it.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:51 am

Seattle has gotten a lot more expensive lately, but still not near NYC level, plus no state income tax. If you are in technology, Seattle is a better place to be in general. You’d make a LOT more money in a tech company as opposed to an insurance company, so already being here would be a good springboard.

The main downside to Seattle is the restaurant scene. It is quite bad, even by small city standards. If you really like food, you will be disappointed. Also, don’t expect to save money living in the suburbs unless you go WAY out. Bellevue is even more expensive than Seattle in some areas. But traffic in the Seattle area is moderate at worst and is concentrated around the I5 and 405 corridors during certain parts of the day, which you could afford to avoid. Your overall QOL will be higher in Seattle for sure.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:00 pm

core4portfolio wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:35 am
abyan wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:31 pm
Just re-read your post, and NJ is definitely cheaper than looking at NYC, even Queens. What makes this especially hard is that NYC is either magical or it's not. It really just depends on what you two like. I just wish the salary was a bit more for a 3-person family. (Again, not that there aren''t plenty of blue collar families in the NYC area).

I'd be curious for you to work out a budget -- what ARE the comparable rents for Seattle and Edison, NJ, for example? Also, if you're in Edison NJ, then you're not really in NYC, are you? That's another consideration -- you'll be living in Edison. Maybe compare that to Seattle. Seattle could end up being far more interesting than Edison.

I guess it also depends on your long-term plans. Will you be job-hopping? If so, are there more opportunities for your kind of work in NYC than Seattle? Can you trade up to a better salary as time goes on in NYC?

PS No state or city taxes?! Man...
I plan to live in suburbs only. For some reason I hate huge crowd :( . I have target rent set at 1800 to 2000 budget and both Seattle subrurbs and NJ are fit well for this. Iam not a job hopper however my resume says I change employer every 4 years
$2000 in Seattle or Bellevue? For a family of 3? Prepare to be disappointed. You will need to spend more than that for sure. You could get a nice 1br apartment in a good area for that, but a 2 or 3 br will be a stretch.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:26 pm

Choose NY. If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere.

Seriously, though, I've never been to Seattle so I could not give you an opinion. I have lived in NYC and the environs, and I thought it was great. Unparalleled culture, entertainment, dining. It is pricey and the commute can suck, but if you only have to go into the office twice a week there are plenty of good options on the MetroNorth, LIRR, and NJ Transit lines.

Good luck

ctuser1

Post by ctuser1 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:08 pm

Blue456 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:15 am
Except for train traffic where you are stuck 2-3 hours due to construction or train re-routing. Not to mention complete New Yorker incompetence to even let you know that a train is not working. I commuted 4 years on 405 freeway in Los Angeles and 2 years in NY Subway. By far I would rather be stuck in LA traffic, 100F, no AC then in NY Subway. Expect NYC subways to be always late.
In 6 years of NYC commute (subway + metro north), I have faced train issues 4 times so far.

2 out of those 4 times were major news events regarding Metro North train line. Two other times were some other issues that did not make major national news.

For an unrelated comparison, such issues are far more common and much more severe when you are doing 100% travel. I remember at least 2 major flight disruptions every year on an average when I used to fly. The typical train disruption means I am home by 12 midnight. A typical flight disruption would mean you'd be home by 3am.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:23 pm

alexander29 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:44 am
If you choose Seattle, consider Mercer Island as a suburb. My daughter moved there with her family and likes it more than she expected. Great schools, and connected to Seattle and Bellevue by I-90 bridges. Pricey, but it looks like you could afford it.
OP can’t possibly afford Mercer Island with a $2k rental budget. I found a studio for $1300, but nothing else under $2000.

drk

Post by drk » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:46 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:23 pm
OP can’t possibly afford Mercer Island with a $2k rental budget. I found a studio for $1300, but nothing else under $2000.
Yeah, OP will have to drop that $2k budget pretty quickly.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:10 pm

BrooklynInvest wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:32 am
Some of the anti-NY comments are truly fascinating. Have lived here 25 years and my experience has been incredible. My neighborhood has great people, top notch schools, restaurants that run the price gamut, lacks rats, graffiti, noise, "price gouging" (although I'm not entirely sure what that is in this context) and almost all of the bad things that others seem to think are endemic. My cost of living is higher than rural areas and my taxes did go up significantly so there is that.
Everywhere in NYC has rats.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:44 pm

aristotelian wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:10 pm
BrooklynInvest wrote:
Some of the anti-NY comments are truly fascinating. Have lived here 25 years and my experience has been incredible. My neighborhood has great people, top notch schools, restaurants that run the price gamut, lacks rats, graffiti, noise, "price gouging" (although I'm not entirely sure what that is in this context) and almost all of the bad things that others seem to think are endemic. My cost of living is higher than rural areas and my taxes did go up significantly so there is that.
As do most places in the United States

MJS

Post by MJS » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:56 pm

You mentioned that you're not from the USA. Factor in 3 hours of jetlag (plus or minus) between the two coasts for family visits.

My vote would be Seattle for its wonderful cool silver days, greenery and soft air.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:06 pm

aristotelian wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:10 pm
BrooklynInvest wrote:
Seattle wouldn't win that one. Port cities have more rats than most. Both NYC and Seattle are major port cities.

ctuser1

Post by ctuser1 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:21 pm

I don't think rats are a major issue for OP.

He mentioned he'll live in the suburbs. The only place he will see rats (lots of them) are int the platforms in Penn or GCT and in the subway.

I sometimes think I have even started to recognize a few of the individual rats in the GCT by now. :shock:

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:59 pm

Gnirk wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:20 pm
runner3081 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:48 pm
Seattle is having some pretty major growing pains these days. No way would I suggest someone move there, especially having to work downtown.
Yes, Seattle has growing pains. However, my single, adult daughters both work in downtown Seattle and take public transportation, and have done so for years.
Housing is pricey, though. The 1200 SF 1908- built house with no garage and no driveway, or place for one, on the north slope of Queen Anne Hill that we bought for $16,500 in the late 60's recently sold for $960,000. Minimal updating.

Although I haven't lived in the city of Seattle for years, I wouldn't live anywhere else other than the Pacific Northwest.
On second thought, I think you would like NYC MUCH better. :twisted:

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:41 pm

BrooklynInvest wrote:
Especially since nearly every negative someone brought up for NY is also just as bad in Seattle, except for the cost of living, which is slightly less bad, and the weather, which is much worse.

Since OP doesn’t want to live in the *city*, I would have a hard time giving any advice at all, except maybe to hold out for a job offer somewhere else. Neither one of these places seems like a good idea for them.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:51 pm

I'm a life-long Long Islander. I've worked in Manhattan and in the burbs. The cost of living here is quite high, particularly due to property taxes. Quality school districts tend to be in expensive areas with even higher taxes. For example, my Mom pays about $22k in a high-end district. My sister pays $16k. I'm paying $15k in a very good, but not top-tier district. Seeing as how you have a young child, I imagine school districts would be a consideration.

bsteiner

Post by bsteiner » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:07 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:54 am
Public schools in New York suburban areas (Westchester, Long Island) are much better than Seattle area. High school students in the Seattle area think university of Washington or UCLA is a reach school. Public schools in the better NY suburbs see people going to MIT, Harvard, University of Chicago. ...
Here's the profile of last year's graduating class from a public high school on Long Island: http://hs.jerichoschools.org/UserFiles/ ... rofile.pdf.

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:19 pm

core4portfolio wrote:

I plan to live in suburbs only. For some reason I hate huge crowd :( . I have target rent set at 1800 to 2000 budget and both Seattle subrurbs and NJ are fit well for this. Iam not a job hopper however my resume says I change employer every 4 years
As compared to the big, populous cities of the world, I'd argue that most US cities don't really have crowds. One of the few places in the USA where you can really experience a big crowd is NYC. Which part of NYC is this job?

Also, I'd caution that, as the new person, you might not want to work from home as much as your manager might allow. From a career standpoint, you're probably better off working in the office. Once you've built up connections, working from home is less risky, but it's not going to do your career any favors. At best, you can hope that it doesn't do your career any harm.

itsf8

Post by itsf8 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:17 pm

While I've lived elsewhere, I was born in and currently live in NYC (Queens area known as the most ethnically diverse in the U.S.) I visited Seattle twice many years ago and I'm sure it's different today. That said, I utterly agree with the majority sentiment, including those born and who live here -- DO NOT move to the NY metro agree (which include NJ, LI, etc.) Other than the practical (salary, etc), you haven't described you and your wife's interest other than you don't like a place with tons of people. That, immediately, knocks the NY metro area out of your preference. In my working-class area, a small, unimpressive, one-bedroom is now $1700 per month (plus utilities...) Income taxes here are off the charts, including if you live in NJ. Medical care in the Seattle area is far superior (awful in NYC proper w/many doctors/dentist doing things just for $$.) Most schools aren't great and living costs will be exceedingly high in areas w/good schools to say nothing of their being stuck in old style curriculum from decades ago. This spreads into college level (I work in a college.) If in the suburbs, you must also take into account railroad or bus commuting costs plus, if needed, also the subway (I do love the public transit option in NY, however.) An example of travel, two colleagues live in 'good' areas of NJ. Normal driving non-rush ho.ur is 45 min but one never knows and 2 hrs is not unusual. They often take the bus plus subway but, even, unless your on a train line, the bus must contend w/traffic, bridges, etc. As to weather, NYC actually gets little snow, especially the last years. NJ, perhaps, more. If a bad winter, it is a wet cold but we do have beautiful winter skies vs the grey overcast of Seattle (I experienced this in Germany and it really effected me.) As others have said, people are likely nicer and less rushed in WA and, if you like the outdoors, WA is the clear choice (except no Atlantic beach.) As others have said, if very urban life is your things and one were single, NYC might be okay. With a young child, and the West more innovative in every aspect of society, including less entrenched politics, I believe, I'd chose WA or somewhere else. Note: I have two friends raised here. One, from NJ, has long been in Seattle and wouldn't dream of moving back. The other from NYC, which she loves for a visit, but is now in northern California and wouldn't dream of returning here.

itsf8

Post by itsf8 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:26 pm

I wanted to add, if you end up in NY and like nature and less population, you may want to consider Westchester and taking Metro North. Another college, returned to NY with her midwest husband two years ago after long away. Lived in Manhattan. Easy commute but rent was excessive & they disliked it. They now rent a condo in Croton-on-Hudson where she looks out to the Hudson River. While rent still high, less than in NYC even w/the Metro North cost and they are much happier despite the commute. Food prices north of NYC may be more higher than in NJ and areas of NYC, but it is a northern areas are quite green and pleasant, especially if you like hiking, etc.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:33 pm

I grew up in a suburb of NYC and spent every 3rd weekend in NYC in the 60's and 70's and lived in NYC for a few years in my 20's. I was fortunate enough to spend most of my adult life in the midwest, but I traveled to NYC for business 4-10 times a year for 20 years. Also traveled to Seattle on business and for pleasure. Family still lives in NYC metro area.

I would choose living in Seattle over NYC or NY metro area for many of the reasons sited by other posters here.

Dave

freyj6

Post by freyj6 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:30 am

If you didn't get enough info from the first 77 replies, here's a bit more from a Seattle native who has spent some time in NYC.

I'll mostly voice some thoughts on quality of life because so many have commented on costs.

First of all, Seattle feels much greener and lusher than NYC. When I stayed in NYC recently, the lack of nature of any kind in most of the city felt oppressive. You'll also get much more and living space for your cost, considering that so much of Seattle is new and apartments are generally bigger.

Traffic is terrible along I-5 and I-405 and even 520 can get really bad at certain times of day (+ tolls suck). Still, NYC may be worse. I highly recommend living along the I-90 line as for some reason it's significantly less populated and it's free. Often when I return from work late in the afternoon, I-90 will be relatively clear and I'll see traffic backed up for a mile *just to get onto the 405 South exit*.

I think most of the rest has been covered in other posts. You can PM me if you want more info :)

beyou

Post by beyou » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:58 am

Long time NYer and work in programming/fin services.

One thing to consider is that many financial services firms are moving IT and other jobs AWAY from NYC region. They want to save in real estate, corp taxes, personal taxes etc. Your job could easily be relocated after moving here. My employer indicated we couldn’t work from home to avoid relocation (though to avoid commute to NYC from burbs people often do so). If you PM me more dets about the specific bank, might be able to comment further.

No idea about Seattle but I find NYC has some nice suburbs where you can get a modest home with great public schools. NYS has good and cheap public colleges (don’t live in NJ for that reason). Public transportation may allow you to get by with one car for a couple, saving money, if you live closer to the city. Further away home will be cheaper but then cars more critical.

I love it here, had the chance to relocate away from NY many times and have elected to stay. But the fin svcs industry is making that more and more difficult lately.

Topic Author
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:17 am

random_walker_77 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:19 pm
core4portfolio wrote:

As compared to the big, populous cities of the world, I'd argue that most US cities don't really have crowds. One of the few places in the USA where you can really experience a big crowd is NYC. Which part of NYC is this job?

Also, I'd caution that, as the new person, you might not want to work from home as much as your manager might allow. From a career standpoint, you're probably better off working in the office. Once you've built up connections, working from home is less risky, but it's not going to do your career any favors. At best, you can hope that it doesn't do your career any harm.
My team are all offshore teams and so i just need to go to office for 2 times a week just to connect with other leads and managers and
even managers and leads do WFH in the same way. So i believe it wont be an issue.
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:41 am

If you're not going to be living in NYC proper, I would move to Seattle. A friend moved there last year after decades in NYC and Philly, and she is surprised how much she loves it. Another friend from Seattle spent decades in NYC before finally getting back to Seattle. He couldn't be happier. I think quality of life is higher, especially on the salary you've been offered there vs NY with a family to support. I could write a love song to NYC, but suburbs with high quality schools are expensive (high taxes) and schools are highly competitive and stressful for the children.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:22 am

I am really curious about your personal preferences. For me there is no way in a million years I would choose NY or even the East Coast over Seattle or the West Coast in general. (I have lived on both coasts in more than one location each and have been to both NY and Seattle many times.) But I know people who love New York and choose to live there or wish they were living there. The people I know wouldn't imagine even thinking about a different choice. You obviously got far enough to get a job offer in NY so the question would be what are your interests and preferences?

Broadway2018

Post by Broadway2018 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:06 pm

I did not read all the comments. I relocated 3 weeks ago to Seattle and love it! I live right in downtown and do not find traffic to be that bad. I take the bus 10 minutes to work, the scenery is amazing, and overall really happy with my move. Many people say housing is expensive however there are many options cheaper if you want to commute 30-45 minutes.

I am coming from the northeast and wish I made the move sooner. Love it so far!

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:07 pm

abyan wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:31 pm
1. Just re-read your post, and NJ is definitely cheaper than looking at NYC, even Queens.

2. What makes this especially hard is that NYC is either magical or it's not. It really just depends on what you two like. I just wish the salary was a bit more for a 3-person family. (Again, not that there aren''t plenty of blue collar families in the NYC area).

3. I guess it also depends on your long-term plans. Will you be job-hopping? If so, are there more opportunities for your kind of work in NYC than Seattle? Can you trade up to a better salary as time goes on in NYC?

4. PS No state or city taxes?! Man...
1. It generally is though depends. If the person wants a peak roof suburban house with more than a smidgen of room to the next house, type arrangement, it's barely practical to live in the City at all. Then you're talking NJ, Long Island or Westchester and I'd agree NJ in that case. If you want a relatively reasonable apartment short commute, Hudson Cty NJ (where I live) is really the only place NJ close enough (obviously people commute from Edison NJ and all kinds of places in NJ, but it's a fairly long haul and don't listen to realtor's estimates of the time! :happy ). There's a larger such area in the Outerboroughs of the City. But I prefer where I live, though being from Queens originally.

2. This is the key point. Rather than it being rare, general hatred of NY by the rest of the country goes back at least to the Draft Riots of 1863. And in many or most other countries the leading city is loathed by a lot of the rest of the country. That's irrelevant. What matters is whether you value the unique aspects of NY you won't get anywhere else in the world let alone Seattle. If you value those or feel you need to see if you do, NY is attractive. If not, NY is not going to win on costs, natural beauty, etc.

3. This too. Even though Seattle has a lot of high paying jobs, no place in the US can compare w/ NY on that score. Especially anything to do with banking. If you dream of possibly working up to a seven figure job in bank/financial IT, then NY is your place. If you expect to have and be permanently satisfied with a decent job (nothing wrong with that at all) NY probably is not your place from career POV.

4. Just to clarify an issue raised a couple of times but not definitely answered correctly yet that I noticed, the City of NY has an income tax but it only applies to residents. At one time a lower version was charged to commuters from NJ, but not to those from NYS outside the City, but courts overturned it so now 3.876% top rate City income tax is only if you live there. NJ and NYS income tax are comparable, neither extremely high by national standards of states which have income taxes, but having no state income tax is obviously a significant benefit. Also NJ combines fairly high income tax with generally one of the highest property tax burdens. Again looking for low taxes, NY area is not the place.

The reasons to come to NY are a) you highly value the world-unique aspects of NY or want to see if you do, b) the high upside in some professions. If neither of those are compelling to you, most other places in the US are probably preferable if NY isn't already home.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:31 pm

JackoC wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:07 pm

3. This too. Even though Seattle has a lot of high paying jobs, no place in the US can compare w/ NY on that score. Especially anything to do with banking. If you dream of possibly working up to a seven figure job in bank/financial IT, then NY is your place. If you expect to have and be permanently satisfied with a decent job (nothing wrong with that at all) NY probably is not your place from career POV.
OP is not in finance, OP is in software. For software, NYC is a few rungs below Seattle in terms of opportunity. Far more options and generally higher pay in Seattle vs NYC, even for those 7 figure jobs. Professionally, NYC isn’t in the same ballpark in tech.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:51 pm

Broadway2018 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:06 pm
I did not read all the comments. I relocated 3 weeks ago to Seattle and love it! I live right in downtown and do not find traffic to be that bad. I take the bus 10 minutes to work, the scenery is amazing, and overall really happy with my move. Many people say housing is expensive however there are many options cheaper if you want to commute 30-45 minutes.

You...haven’t spent a winter there yet, have you?

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:39 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:51 pm
Broadway2018 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:06 pm

You...haven’t spent a winter there yet, have you?
I’ve spent 75 winters here. Guess what? I can walk in the rain, or when it’s cloudy; try that in the northeastern snow. Or go skiing on the weekends. On the other hand, one of my daughters suffers from SAD, (seasonal affective disorder) as does my stepdaughter, and they truly struggle during the constantly overcast winters.

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:42 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:31 pm
JackoC wrote:

OP is not in finance, OP is in software. For software, NYC is a few rungs below Seattle in terms of opportunity. Far more options and generally higher pay in Seattle vs NYC, even for those 7 figure jobs. Professionally, NYC isn’t in the same ballpark in tech.
OP said
"Job offer 1 at NYC itself at a Bank:...

Both are IT programmer jobs"

And I noticed both those statements. Seems maybe you did not notice the first one. People at/near the top of IT dept's in Wall Street firms make major money. Also depending the person and specifics it's not even totally isolated necessarily from the 'front end' of those firms. I'm thinking of people I know personally, particular one who worked for me as a pure IT person (which I'm not) but later became hybrid market/IT person and did extremely well.

Obviously OP knows better than either of us their particular skills, ambitions etc so it would be silly to have a big debate about it on their behalf. Fact remains there's are a huge number of very high paying jobs in NY compared to almost anywhere else including Seattle, and definitely if the person is doing IT in a financial institution. The first post also said the Seattle job was at a financial institution too, an insurance co.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:29 pm

JackoC wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:42 pm
KyleAAA wrote:
JackoC wrote:

OP said

And I noticed both those statements. Seems maybe you did not notice the first one. People at/near the top of IT dept's in Wall Street firms make major money. Also depending the person and specifics it's not even totally isolated necessarily from the 'front end' of those firms. I'm thinking of people I know personally, particular one who worked for me as a pure IT person (which I'm not) but later became hybrid market/IT person and did extremely well.

Obviously OP knows better than either of us their particular skills, ambitions etc so it would be silly to have a big debate about it on their behalf. Fact remains there's are a huge number of very high paying jobs in NY compared to almost anywhere else including Seattle, and definitely if the person is doing IT in a financial institution. The first post also said the Seattle job was at a financial institution too, an insurance co.
I noticed the first one. It doesn’t make a difference. Top engineers in Wall Street firms don’t earn more than top engineers in tech firms, but there is far more variety of opportunities out west. My company alone has more than 2000 individuals in the engineering discipline earning in the 7 figures and it is not even known for high pay by west coast standards. They could almost all be making more elsewhere. If one is good enough to make $1mm in NYC, it is likely they could make even more in Seattle unless they had a VERY niche skill set that was specific to finance. If OP was a quant, OP would say quant rather than “IT programmer.” Quants are most decidedly NOT in IT.

LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:09 pm

I have lived in the suburbs of Seattle most of my life. It was a great place to grow up, and our kids have a great environment to grow up in as well. The suburban school districts (Bellevue, Kirkland, Clyde Hill, Medina, Issaquah, Mercer Island, Sammamish, etc.) are generally excellent, and the communities are safe.

Seattle, the City itself, is a different dynamic than the suburbs. More culture, more variety in neighborhoods, etc... but the City has also suffered from an increase in homelessness in recent years that is has been unable to properly address. This topic, and the topic of income inequality (with Amazon usually blamed as the culprit, right or wrong) are the two hot topics in the City these days. It is not uncommon for people to send their kids to private school in Seattle as the School District has good schools and not-so-good schools.

And, yes, traffic to/from Seattle and the Eastside suburbs is rough. Personally, I would live where I work to avoid this.

Hope that helps.

Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:12 pm

Bus or train from suburb into downtown is reliable and likely that your company pays for the commute costs.

Cost of liv8ng in Seattle increasing but nowhere near that of NYC. 10% hit off the bat with state and local income taxes.

QOL on weekends for family year round (even in winter is likely more diverse from an outdoors standpoint in Seattle)

If you are a city person can’t beat NYC, bit the OP seems to be adverse to the megalopolis lifestyle for which NYC is dominant.

Weather, overblown regarding winter. Gray yes but not cold, buy a raincoat and you will be warm and dry. Snow in the northeast is pretty for the holiday season.

Traffic, NYC is the standard. Mass transit works but it is what it is, MASS of humanity and never ending. Traffic in Seattle if you take public transit from the suburbs is 1 hour each way and inconsequential if you have something to do. 3-4K is likely the cost to live in Seattle downtown corridor or immediately adjacent neighborhood for family of 3. But the immediately adjacent neighborhoods are walkable for daily life and sustainable for family quality of life experiences with young kid.

I would choose and have chosen Seattle for myself and family after living along west coast major metro cities and east coast major cities and Chicago land. I hope you choose NYC (lol)

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:16 pm

I remember when Boeing was on hard times and that famous "Last One Out of Seattle Turn Out the Lights" billboard went up.

https://www.historylink.org/File/1287

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:15 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:29 pm
JackoC wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
JackoC wrote:

OP said

I noticed the first one. It doesn’t make a difference. Top engineers in Wall Street firms don’t earn more than top engineers in tech firms, but there is far more variety of opportunities out west. My company alone has more than 2000 individuals in the engineering discipline earning in the 7 figures and it is not even known for high pay by west coast standards. They could almost all be making more elsewhere. If one is good enough to make $1mm in NYC, it is likely they could make even more in Seattle unless they had a VERY niche skill set that was specific to finance. If OP was a quant, OP would say quant rather than “IT programmer.” Quants are most decidedly NOT in IT.
Seems like you noticed it, then ignored it. :happy Neither job offer OP mentioned is from a tech firm. Both are from financial institutions. Seems like you're saying OP should turn down both and go to work for a big tech firm with 2000 super high paid computer programmers (I guess you mean by 'engineers').

If you want to make a career at a financial firm, and are ambitious, go to NY. There's no reason once you're in a big fin firm to be pigeonholed as a computer programmer and no you don't have to be a 'quant' to get out of that, person I was referring to was no quant, went from straight IT person on trading software to automated trading software where the line blurs between traders and programmers. If you're working a financial firm because you want to jump to a big tech firm, then maybe Seattle...but again maybe just get a job at a tech firm to begin with, not an insurance company. :D

But again easy for the debate to get silly without the person who is actually getting the job, knows their own experience, skills and ambitions being involved.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:28 pm

JackoC wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:15 pm
KyleAAA wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:29 pm
JackoC wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
JackoC wrote:

OP said

Seems like you noticed it, then ignored it. :happy Neither job offer OP mentioned is from a tech firm. Both are from financial institutions. Seems like you're saying OP should turn down both and go to work for a big tech firm with 2000 super high paid computer programmers (I guess you mean by 'engineers').

If you want to make a career at a financial firm, and are ambitious, go to NY. There's no reason once you're in a big fin firm to be pigeonholed as a computer programmer and no you don't have to be a 'quant' to get out of that, person I was referring to was no quant, went from straight IT person on trading software to automated trading software where the line blurs between traders and programmers. If you're working a financial firm because you want to jump to a big tech firm, then maybe Seattle...but again maybe just get a job at a tech firm to begin with, not an insurance company. :D

But again easy for the debate to get silly without the person who is actually getting the job, knows their own experience, skills and ambitions being involved.
Sure like I said, if you have a very narrow interest and skill set go to NYC. 99.9% of engineers at financial firms don’t care about finance, the infustry just happens to hire a bunch of them. If you REALLY want to work in finance and only finance, go to NYC. Otherwise you are much better off in Seattle. Software engineers are not IT people and should not be referred to as such. They also are not computer programmers. Codinis but one of the responsibilities of an engineer. Big tech firms also aren’t the highest paying companies in Seattle for engineers. The path to 7 figures is MUCH easier out west.
Last edited by KyleAAA on Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:43 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:28 pm

Sure like I said, if you have a very narrow interest and skill set go to NYC. 99.9% of engineers at financial firms don’t care about finance, the infustry just happens to hire a bunch of them. If you REALLY want to work in finance and only finance, go to NYC. Otherwise you are much better off in Seattle. Software engineers are not IT people and should not be referred to as such. Big tech firms also aren’t the highest paying companies in Seattle for engineers. The path to 7 figures is MUCH easier out west.
OP didn't even call self 'engineer' but said "Both are IT programmer jobs", so is not even onboard with the recent affectation of calling computer programmers 'engineers', let alone saying they aren't IT people. So again it seems to getting away from the question that was asked. There is no way you have a better path to a very high pay working for an *insurance company* in Seattle as a computer programmer than for a bank in NY, if sticking with those firms. Unless you're going to change jobs...but OP seems to be asking about these job opportunities not unspecified other ones.

London

Post by London » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:45 pm

If the topic is “how much money can you make as a developer at a Wall Street firm”, this is something I can add to as I run a large IT group at one of the firms. The are basically almost no pure developers making 7 figures. If you are a quant or manage a large group, you can get there. As an individual contributor, you would need to have developed IP that is unique and can only be run by you. But I’ve seen it very few times. $500k, sure.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:47 pm

JackoC wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:43 pm
KyleAAA wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:28 pm

Sure like I said, if you have a very narrow interest and skill set go to NYC. 99.9% of engineers at financial firms don’t care about finance, the infustry just happens to hire a bunch of them. If you REALLY want to work in finance and only finance, go to NYC. Otherwise you are much better off in Seattle. Software engineers are not IT people and should not be referred to as such. Big tech firms also aren’t the highest paying companies in Seattle for engineers. The path to 7 figures is MUCH easier out west.
OP didn't even call self 'engineer' but said "Both are IT programmer jobs", so is not even onboard with the recent affectation of calling computer programmers 'engineers', let alone saying they aren't IT people. So again it seems to getting away from the question that was asked. There is no way you have a better path to a very high pay working for an *insurance company* in Seattle as a computer programmer than for a bank in NY, if sticking with those firms. Unless you're going to change jobs...but OP seems to be asking about these job opportunities not unspecified other ones.
Engineer is US centric term. Most coming in from overseas will refer to themselves as programmers. And it is not a “recent” nomenclature, it is a job description. Programming is only a part of a software engineer’s responsibilities. You also seemed to miss my point that the entire reason Seattle beats NYC is that it is so easy to ratchet up compensation by moving around if needed. Competition for talent is much fierces out west. If we assume no further job changes the Seattle offer still wins by a mile, because it is higher in absolute terms without even adjusting for COL or the lack of a state income tax.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:49 pm

I can’t believe this hasn’t come up more. Having lived in Puget Sound area for 8 years, let me say this. If you like the sun, I’d think twice about moving there. It’s very cloudy and (being much further north than NYC) very dark in the winters. Amongst my friends (Navy, so from all over) people from the northern half of the country adjusted much better than folks from the southern half. It’s just cloudy and drizzly for months upon months at a time. You literally might not get more than a glimpse of the sun for 6 straight weeks. The weather folks there even invented a term called “sun breaks” to try and bring some optimism to the fact the sun only came out for 5 minutes all day. Everywhere else they call that “overcast.”

I never understood the constant refrain of, “well if you love the outdoors you’ll love it.” I like the outdoors. What I don’t like is being outside while it’s raining, or attempting to take a hike through mud. I’ve never lived anywhere else (including Boston) where I knew so many people convert their garage to a play room so their kids would have somewhere “outdoorsy” to play Oct-June (yes, many Junes are cold and rainy as March—I’ve spent multiple fourths of July huddled around a fire with a winter coat on). For 8-9 months a year it’s very wet, cloudy, and constantly windy. If you like being outdoors in that, go bananas.

It’s also very, very far from the rest of the country. You basically aren’t going to drive to another major US city besides Portland. And if you are flying anywhere east of the Rockies it’s an all day affair.

Besides those things I thought Seattle was a great town (especially if you don’t have to commute in its traffic).

Gibby45

Post by Gibby45 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:13 pm

OP,

Have you and your wife visited both locations? Do you have time to visit before making a decision? Do you know anyone in either location or anyone doing your job in either location? WA has no state income tax and you'll be earning more in WA. Where are your respective families located? Is that a factor? If you choose Seattle and want public schools, you should look at Bellevue, Mercer Island, Bainbridge Island, Issaquah, Bothell, Woodinville and Kenmore. You can definitely make it work on your salary but $1,800-$2,000 for rent seems low (for the Seattle area and the NYC suburbs) assuming you need at least two bedrooms.

NYC may not be ideal if you don't like crowds. If you have to relocate either way, I would choose Seattle based on the info provided.