How to maximize FDIC insurance on savings account?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
GordonG

How to maximize FDIC insurance on savings account?

Post by GordonG » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:45 pm

I've done some reading, but I'm still a bit unclear. It sounds like I can get extra coverage by adding beneficiaries to my account. In order to get $500K worth of coverage, would I need to have 2 beneficiaries listed on the account? Anything else to do?

Another option seems to be making it a joint account, then I'd get the $500K worth of coverage, right?

I called my bank (Marcus/Goldman Sachs), and the customer service rep was extremely unhelpful. She basically said, we don't know anything about FDIC, you'd have to call them. She then offered to transfer me, I agreed, and the of course I get "this number cannot be connected as dialed." Pretty peeved at this level of service considering I have a large chunk of cash stored with them.

Clarice

Re: How to maximize FDIC insurance on savings account?

Post by Clarice » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:21 pm

Max My Interest

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:53 pm

GordonG wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:45 pm
I've done some reading, but I'm still a bit unclear. It sounds like I can get extra coverage by adding beneficiaries to my account. In order to get $500K worth of coverage, would I need to have 2 beneficiaries listed on the account? Anything else to do?

I do not think adding beneficiaries increases your FDIC coverage.

Another option seems to be making it a joint account, then I'd get the $500K worth of coverage, right?

Yes, this would double your coverage.

I called my bank (Marcus/Goldman Sachs), and the customer service rep was extremely unhelpful. She basically said, we don't know anything about FDIC, you'd have to call them. She then offered to transfer me, I agreed, and the of course I get "this number cannot be connected as dialed." Pretty peeved at this level of service considering I have a large chunk of cash stored with them.

Try this tool: https://edie.fdic.gov/calculator.html

Topic Author
GordonG

Post by GordonG » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:18 am

According to Ally Bank, each beneficiary I add to the account gets $250K of coverage, so 1 beneficiary = $250K covered, 2 = $500K covered, and so on. This is because it becomes a payable upon death (POD) account. This seems to jibe with the tool on the FDIC site

Alan S.

Post by Alan S. » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:04 pm

GordonG wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:18 am
According to Ally Bank, each beneficiary I add to the account gets $250K of coverage, so 1 beneficiary = $250K covered, 2 = $500K covered, and so on. This is because it becomes a payable upon death (POD) account. This seems to jibe with the tool on the FDIC site
Correct, and the portion for each beneficiary does not have to be 50%. You could list one for 99% of the account and the other for 1% if the bank accepts that. YOU are still covered for 500k.

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:35 pm

GordonG wrote:
Interesting, learned something new... now I just need to $500k!

Topic Author
GordonG

Post by GordonG » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:49 am

Alan S. wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:04 pm
GordonG wrote:
Correct, and the portion for each beneficiary does not have to be 50%. You could list one for 99% of the account and the other for 1% if the bank accepts that. YOU are still covered for 500k.
Awesome. This was actually easier than I thought. Thanks for the confirmation :beer